Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

If you, cool guy smart consumer, were planning on buying a 300-700 or so dollar round dobro what would you go for? There quite a few cheaper ones lately and I'd like to own one but I have no idea about the quality or what makes a good dobro a good dobro.

Sockington posted:

And make it so.

I guess Fender's pickups can vary a bit and mine is a snug fit. Need to file the opening a bit as the pickup can get hung up during height adjustment.

Nice! I like that a lot. Really loving how the new plate looks with the pickup. Do you prefer that plate to the stock for any specific reasons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Shugojin posted:

I tried that and it works too, but differently.

I feel like such a dork for having scorned these things for years because "the amp already has an EQ on it :downs: ".

I learned that trick from an old slayer interview where the gist I got for their old tone was "eq w/boosted mids into a proco rat into a jcm800" but I'm sure there was more to it.

Lately I've been liking to put my OD's drive at 12:00 or 12:30 when boosting other distortions because it has this awful smoldering crunch to it and it's just so noisy. So it's at drive:noon tone:10:30 and volume:max while the gain on everything else is maxed out.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Who has some tips for a dreampop/shoegaze guitar style? I have babbys first pedal (delay) which certainly gets me part of the way, but there's still a way to go. At the moment I'm thinking less fuzzy and more wall of dreamy sound, so what would I want?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Paperhouse posted:

Who has some tips for a dreampop/shoegaze guitar style? I have babbys first pedal (delay) which certainly gets me part of the way, but there's still a way to go. At the moment I'm thinking less fuzzy and more wall of dreamy sound, so what would I want?

add a reverb to it too, chain fuzzes together. There's no such thing as too much, just loving throw poo poo on your pedalboard and tinker with which ones work best together. Buy used cheapo poo poo and make your pedalboard look like a tokyo subway at 5:15pm

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Paperhouse posted:

Probably a good reverb pedal. A few of my favorites for that style are the Earthquaker Afterneath, Digitech Supernatural, and the TC T2. The Afterneath is genuinely the most original pedal I've owned and the best atmospheric wall of sound creator I've played through. There are a ton of dreamy reverbs out lately though. If I was you I would read some reviews of pedals that are in your price range on Amazon/musiciansfriend/store you like and look up YouTube demos of the ones you're interested in.

Some people dislike him but Andy from the ProGuitarShopDemos YouTube channel has demoed most of the bigger reverb pedals and he loves playing dreamy post rock kind of stuff through them. Very authentic demos for that kind of thing.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jun 7, 2015

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Paperhouse posted:

A dirt pedal is useful for helping that that 'wall of noise' sound in shoegaze, it doesn't have to be an HM-2 or a Big Muff; an overdrive with a reverb or delay running into it really helps give a huge sound.

But Nth-ing the reverb suggestions. As for popular reverbs Boss' RV-5 modulated reverb setting is a really popular option for modern bands; and TC Electronic's Hall of Fame is notorious for being a good reverb machine. You should be able to find either easily, but look at PGS's channel for more boutique and interesting options.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
More than any pedal, though, there are musical things you want to be working on. Try to keep all the strings going all the time, adding open drone strings to chord shapes - there's a reason for all those weird tunings . Also picking style is a big part of the sound, I've generally found a very light touch, brushing motion with a thin pick to fit, but experiment to see what works for you.

Also try to do the opposite of whatever tone dads say. But I find that to be good advice for any interesting guitar-based music, anyway.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Kilometers Davis posted:

Probably a good reverb pedal. A few of my favorites for that style are the Earthquaker Afterneath, Digitech Supernatural, and the TC T2. The Afterneath is genuinely the most original pedal I've owned and the best atmospheric wall of sound creator I've played through. There are a ton of dreamy reverbs out lately though. If I was you I would read some reviews of pedals that are in your price range on Amazon/musiciansfriend/store you like and look up YouTube demos of the ones you're interested in.

Some people dislike him but Andy from the ProGuitarShopDemos YouTube channel has demoed most of the bigger reverb pedals and he loves playing dreamy post rock kind of stuff through them. Very authentic demos for that kind of thing.

Does the afterneath work as a general-use reverb too?

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:

umalt posted:

A dirt pedal is useful for helping that that 'wall of noise' sound in shoegaze, it doesn't have to be an HM-2 or a Big Muff; an overdrive with a reverb or delay running into it really helps give a huge sound.

But Nth-ing the reverb suggestions. As for popular reverbs Boss' RV-5 modulated reverb setting is a really popular option for modern bands; and TC Electronic's Hall of Fame is notorious for being a good reverb machine. You should be able to find either easily, but look at PGS's channel for more boutique and interesting options.

Nth-ing reverb as wel, but also take a look at the Digitech RV-7 as well. I have it on my board and love it.

Speaking of boards. a bit ago I picked up one of the no-frills, second-to-largest boards they sell on Rondo for a good price, and it's well made just doesn't have any power supply (no that expensive). Thing has been a beast and already taken a bit of a beating. I'm talking about the CNB cases here: http://www.rondomusic.com/pedalcases.html

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Buy all the stuff this guy uses

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrXuvDRSwN8&t=240s

I just like posting that video :shrug:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Several months later, I'm still totally enamored of the job Seagull did on my low-end laminate acoustic guitar. It's hardly the most amazing tonebox but it sounds pretty okay and drat is the fit and finish good so that it feels great to play and that's all I wanted.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

muike posted:

Does the afterneath work as a general-use reverb too?

Maybe? Probably? At it's absolute core it's a delay. I like the idea of it as a delay that bounces all over the inside of a jagged cave. It's very scattered and organic sounding. You play a note and a sharp or soft (depending on the drag knob) wall of echoes follows and washes into every note you play. One thing to realize is that you can rarely ever use it on a riff/whatever you've written without the Afterneath as the main influence. It's an effect that becomes an extension of your instrument and you can't really force it to sit in the background like a normal spring/hall/etc. You can bring out crazy unique sounds with your picking hand in a tangible way that I've never experienced with a delay or reverb. It is very much it's own pedal and I would feel like a liar comparing it to any reverb out there.

So I suppose my answer is no, realistically it probably can't be used as a general reverb like the Hall of Fame or similar but it's versatile and complex in a way that allows a lot of creativity if the user is good at tweaking.

I've been wanting to start making pedal demos for a while and if I do I'll try to show off some tamed down reasonable settings on it.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

booshi posted:

Nth-ing reverb as wel, but also take a look at the Digitech RV-7 as well. I have it on my board and love it.

I have one of these. It's alright but a little cheesy sounding.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I've got a bit of a project arriving soon, a 1965 Mustang.
I'll post some pics when I can :)

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jun 8, 2015

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
I finally bought the Vox amplug 2 Classic rock. It's really neat and sounds good. But I get this constant static noise in the background when using it. Is that normal? Since I know that amps and guitars tend to pick up all sorts of stuff. Like having my phone close to the pickups generates a buzzing sound and whatnot too. It isn't as noticeable when I use my dt990 headset, but when I use the generic headphones I have for my phone the noise is much louder.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
as kilo said the afterneath is a whole other instrument almost. I put a kick dial on the drag knob so I can go from extreme atmosphere to a dialed down verb a bit.

if I play anything at a fast tempo it definitely gets washed but for some reason tremelo picking works pretty well. but like a standard punk/hxc pattern it gets pretty washed out. I love the pedal and have literally altered my sound around it but it's def not a conventional pedal by any means.

I use my amp verb in my v4 for standard stuff

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Kilometers Davis posted:

Nice! I like that a lot. Really loving how the new plate looks with the pickup. Do you prefer that plate to the stock for any specific reasons?

I prefer the new plate because it fits the pickup I wanted. Also, not having the sides on the bridge plate makes it nicer in general. The CV is pretty much the only guitar I'm using right now.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Torabi posted:

I finally bought the Vox amplug 2 Classic rock. It's really neat and sounds good. But I get this constant static noise in the background when using it. Is that normal? Since I know that amps and guitars tend to pick up all sorts of stuff. Like having my phone close to the pickups generates a buzzing sound and whatnot too. It isn't as noticeable when I use my dt990 headset, but when I use the generic headphones I have for my phone the noise is much louder.

Where are you playing? If you're near a computer or other powerful electronics, you're going to pick up tons of buzz. Yeah that's pretty normal.

Are you using single coil pickups or humbuckers?

Things like the little miniamps and amplugs usually have pretty poor insulation, and their cheap overdrive tends to make the buzz much louder, yeah. Changing cables or headphones could help.

You could always build a faraday cage :cheeky: Really though for better tone quality and signal you're probably gonna wanna swap up to a practice amp instead of an amplug. They're cool for being able to walk around and play, but that's it. There's a reason you don't see people using them very often.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

peter gabriel posted:

I've got a bit of a project arriving soon, a 1956 Mustang.
I'll post some pics when I can :)

Must be quite a project, since they didn't start making the Mustang until the mid 60s.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

DrChu posted:

Must be quite a project, since they didn't start making the Mustang until the mid 60s.

Oh god, yeah it either comes with a time machine or I meant 1965 ha ha :)

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Paperhouse posted:

turn your tone knob down to low on your guitar and max that delay. if your guitar isnt complete crap it will give you a good dreamy sound to work with without more equipment

im sure people have already said get a reverb but get a reverb. even a stripped down dream/shoe pedal board has several different effects (like 5 at least) most of which are in the verb/delay area and fuzz. i generally play shitgaze so like half my board is taken up by delays and verb and the rest fuzz.

usual playing style advice:
have several strings dedicated to being drone strings, where you hit them usually open on any chord you play. look up some good alt tunings

think of you guitar as more of a synth and that you doing pads. texture rather than cool riffs

practice with a metronome or something if you can because its really easy get lost in the sound and lose your timing

Stravinsky fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jun 8, 2015

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

After The War posted:

Also try to do the opposite of whatever tone dads say. But I find that to be good advice for any interesting guitar-based music, anyway.

this is legit.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Torabi posted:

Headphones that are good for phones tend to pull double duty as external radio antennae with either a TRS or TRRS connection. Guitar gear is usually mono TS and requires heavy shielding to reduce the cable from grabbing every stray signal nearby.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

Zaphod42 posted:

Where are you playing? If you're near a computer or other powerful electronics, you're going to pick up tons of buzz. Yeah that's pretty normal.

Are you using single coil pickups or humbuckers?

Things like the little miniamps and amplugs usually have pretty poor insulation, and their cheap overdrive tends to make the buzz much louder, yeah. Changing cables or headphones could help.

You could always build a faraday cage :cheeky: Really though for better tone quality and signal you're probably gonna wanna swap up to a practice amp instead of an amplug. They're cool for being able to walk around and play, but that's it. There's a reason you don't see people using them very often.

Verizian posted:

Headphones that are good for phones tend to pull double duty as external radio antennae with either a TRS or TRRS connection. Guitar gear is usually mono TS and requires heavy shielding to reduce the cable from grabbing every stray signal nearby.

Ah, makes sense. Just wanted to make sure it isn't broken. I already have a fender mustang I. But my house is filled with relatives for the summer so the amplug is perfect for the purpose of practicing. Also my Epiphone LP Studio has humbuckers.

Boar It fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jun 8, 2015

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Got this Ibanez SA 360 delivered today. Was a little cheaper than normal because it was an ex-demo guitar, and I'm fine with that. Looks awesome, no marks or anything like that. Plugged in and had a little try, everything seems fine.

Thing is, there's this noticable gap between neck and body. I've never had a guitar like this before, a bolt on neck with a gap in this position. In your guys experience is this okay, is this something that's common on some guitars?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Funso Banjo posted:

Got this Ibanez SA 360 delivered today. Was a little cheaper than normal because it was an ex-demo guitar, and I'm fine with that. Looks awesome, no marks or anything like that. Plugged in and had a little try, everything seems fine.

Thing is, there's this noticable gap between neck and body. I've never had a guitar like this before, a bolt on neck with a gap in this position. In your guys experience is this okay, is this something that's common on some guitars?

Looks fine to me as it's a bolt on.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Yeah that's designed to be like that to squeeze and extra fret onto an existing design / it's just the way the did it, you can see where the neck bends away under the protrusion that carries on a bit.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
When I get my next paycheck I'm going to be buying a Mustang III amp so I can start tooling around outside of rocksmith. I did want to ask though: what's the quality of the effects modeling software pack in? This is basically serving as my entry level of "amps and playback gear that isn't a lovely pack-in practice amp" gear and I also want to use it as a springboard for future purchases after that. My though is that I don't necessarily care about analog vs digital signal quality at this very moment and would rather buy the Mustang that can make a fair shake at a lot of sound styles over honing in on a more propose built amp and petal rig that winds up being less flexible for me to experiment.

The follow up question would then be this : with the Mustang III, do I even need to worry about getting an external multi effects device if I'm running the digital stomp boxes in the Mustang? I know fuse let's you download 3rd party simulated cabinets, but it's the same true for the simulated individual effects petals? If I decide that Fuse's flanger sucks, can I just pull down a download one and use that instead?

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
I think the effects are pretty solid, you have a fairly large variety of choices. I had a few pedals prior to owning my Mustang, and I no longer bother with them. Any effect I want is on board. You really don't need an external effects unit, unless there is something really specific on there. Unfortunately you cannot just download new modules, but there a number of different settings, and often more than a single variant for a lot of the effects. I used to have a link with description of the real life equivalent of every effect on the Mustang, but I can't find it at the moment. If you are someone that is REALLY particular on their effects, you will be better served just buying a tube amp and the specific pedals you want.

I think it is perfect if you want versatility with good sound, as long as you have the patience to fiddle with things until you get to how you like them. Fuse is fairly robust, and you can also download one of the billion patches people have made if you run out of ideas.

edit: This is pretty much everything the Mustang has on board. You will need an EXP-1 pedal if you want to do Wah/volume pedal stuff, also the 4 button footswitch is really worth it. Also you can plug other pedals into the Mustang of course, but modelers can kind of be fiddly with them. I know some people have had success with it on their Mustangs, but if that really is a route you want to go, I would not bother with the jack of all trades solution.

unlawfulsoup fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jun 8, 2015

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Funso Banjo posted:

It's fine, a lot of bolt-ons are like that. Some, it's so they can put a neck with an extra fret on a body with a pocket routed for one without. Some, it's just so they can have a bit more body wood between the neck pickup cavity and the neck route. It's only ever an issue when it comes to pulling loaded strat pickguards that run underneath that lip. :argh:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Sockington posted:

I prefer the new plate because it fits the pickup I wanted. Also, not having the sides on the bridge plate makes it nicer in general. The CV is pretty much the only guitar I'm using right now.
Maybe it's just me, but I've always liked the standard Tele bridge (with the ashtray off, if anyone even still makes Teles with the cover anymore) because it's like easy mode for palm mutes.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

SubG posted:

Maybe it's just me, but I've always liked the standard Tele bridge (with the ashtray off, if anyone even still makes Teles with the cover anymore) because it's like easy mode for palm mutes.

I actually tried this for a while and noticed I did miss having the lower lip a bit for that exact purpose. :(

Maybe one day if I feel adventurous I'll modify the stock one with a cut upper lip and stock lower lip and a TV Jones NE route. The top one was the only one that ever gave me occasional grief.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Saw a dude on YouTube take the screws out of his humbuckers (but leave the pole pieces in) and his Gibson Flying V magically sounded like a Tele, but with noise canceling.

This is probably common but holy poo poo is that a stupid simple mod that sounds awesome

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

fullroundaction posted:

Saw a dude on YouTube take the screws out of his humbuckers (but leave the pole pieces in) and his Gibson Flying V magically sounded like a Tele, but with noise canceling.

This is probably common but holy poo poo is that a stupid simple mod that sounds awesome

Was that Scott Grove? I find him annoying as hell. I watched a couple and his videos and youtube kept suggesting I watch more of them for ages.

At any rate, I tried that on a guitar with a jazz in the neck and didn't notice a bit of difference. But I don't have much of an ear for that thing, so maybe someone else may have a different experience.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Yeah he's awful, he just so happens to have a bunch of videos about really specific stuff I was looking for. Here's the video for anyone interested. He actually demos the single coil humbuckers at around 9:45

http://youtu.be/6g8qF9vC11s

E: and there definitely is a noticeable difference on that guitar at least. I've always played and preferred single coil sound over most humbuckers so it might just be a familiarity thing. I'm going to try it on my HSS strat tonight so I'll record side by side results.

fullroundaction fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jun 9, 2015

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Funso Banjo posted:

Like Schpyder and Spanish Manlove said, it's normal depending on the guitar in question.
For comparison:

Random Squier partsmonster.

CS Strat

Suhr Modern

Don't sweat it, all that matters is the action and whether or not you can intonate and play it.t

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Gripen5 posted:

Was that Scott Grove? I find him annoying as hell. I watched a couple and his videos and youtube kept suggesting I watch more of them for ages.

Off-topic but youtube has a little menu ... now that lets you say NOT INTERESTED to all those horrible suggestions you get when you click someone's link to some video, and youtube decides that must be your jam

Not sure how well it works but at least it's there, dammit

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Aaaand I found the parametric EQ rack option in Amplitube and i've blown my mind yet again. WHAT ARE ALL THESE UNDERWHELMING SOUNDING EFFECTS THAT ARE SO GOOD

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Anyone have any experience with Legator guitars? I've been thinking about what I want to get my girlfriend for her birthday 4 months down the line. My local mom and pop guitar shop is an Ibanez dealer primarily but they also get in Legator models and they got one in particular that my girlfriend adores from an aesthetic viewpoint.

She plays an Ibanez right now primarily because she has tiny elf hands and the wizard necks on Ibanez guitars are real easy for her to get her hands around. I don't want to take her back to the shop specifically to try it out because she'd get suspicious that I was up to something.

Even if I don't get her a Legator for her birthday though, it gives me ideas for my next purchase if any goons can share their experience with one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
From what I can tell they're another Korean-contractor line like Agile, so probably fine for an Ibanez knockoff.