Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Demonr6 you should totally make an armored warfare thread, and also the next test phase (of armored warfare) is gonna start this week if everything goes as planned (with an official announcement coming today, probably).

e: the official announcement is up now, actually!

hopterque fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jun 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generalissimo
Jun 13, 2003

hopterque posted:

Demonr6 you should totally make an armored warfare thread, and also the next test phase (of armored warfare) is gonna start this week if everything goes as planned (with an official announcement coming today, probably).

Does it have boats?

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
You know what's bull poo poo? Fuso shooting at Colorado, not even hitting citadel and still doing 10k+ damage somehow while I'm having insane difficulty thanks to gently caress rear end spread, manage to hit citadel and somehow only do 1,240 damage or bounce. I swear HE is the way to go for Colorado thanks to inconsistency with AP shells.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The nagging problem I keep seeing is people are driving battleships. Battleships are poop hth.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

orange juche posted:

The nagging problem I keep seeing is people are driving battleships. Battleships are poop hth.
Cruiser > everything :(

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://www.themittani.com/columns/world-warships-weapons-guide

Rather nicely done World of Warships quick reference armament and damage tables.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Would have been better if the author added range value when using range module (I believe it's Battleship only).

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Aesis posted:

Would have been better if the author added range value when using range module (I believe it's Battleship only).

True, but the current rub is to use the accuracy module instead of Range, because shooting beyond 15km is a crapshoot a lot of times, and the accuracy module makes US BB guns almost as accurate as cruisers, cuts down on the stupid shotgun spread a lot.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

orange juche posted:

True, but the current rub is to use the accuracy module instead of Range, because shooting beyond 15km is a crapshoot a lot of times, and the accuracy module makes US BB guns almost as accurate as cruisers, cuts down on the stupid shotgun spread a lot.
There's no accuracy module for US BB (at least up to Colorado anyway). US Cruisers get it though.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Why is the Mutsuki such a piece of poo poo? It gets worse torpedoes and guns than the Minekaze, in exchange for slightly better AAA. Which is still rather bad and is only good for occasionally picking off a plane or two. I think I'm going to give up on the IJN destroyer line, especially since the US destroyer line is so much fun.

edit: I read here earlier that the IJN DD line peaks at the Minekaze, but goddamn I guess I had to go and find out the hard way that they were right.

Godlessdonut fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jun 9, 2015

Max Manus
Oct 25, 2004

Saboteur par excellence.
Nap Ghost

El Disco posted:

Why is the Mutsuki such a piece of poo poo? It gets worse torpedoes and guns than the Minekaze, in exchange for slightly better AAA. Which is still rather bad and is only good for occasionally picking off a plane or two. I think I'm going to give up on the IJN destroyer line, especially since the US destroyer line is so much fun.

edit: I read here earlier that the IJN DD line peaks at the Minekaze, but goddamn I guess I had to go and find out the hard way that they were right.

Just unlocked it myself, the problem for the Mutsuki is the useless 10 km torpedoes that get spotted almost as they leave their tubes. Tried them on the Minekaze for a few matches and went back to the 7 km ones.

Perhaps just stick with the stock 6 km ones on the Mutsuki?

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Anyone know when the reset will happen?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

hopterque posted:

done..an Armored Warfare thread

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

El Disco posted:

The Mutsuki is the low point of the line, but it gets better from there if you stick with it. Burn some free exp to get the 10km torpedoes then take advantage of the 5.9km concealment range to torp unsuspecting targets. Most players are bad and will maintain a straight course at a constant speed if they do not know a destroyer is around. The 10km torps should not be spotted until it is too late, unless they have already spotted you or you draw attention to yourself by opening fire.

The Hatsuhara is a bit better than the Mutsuki. It gets better guns in return for a worse 6.7km concealment range.

The Fubuki is better than the Hatsuhara. It gets 3x2 gun turrets that are decent and 3x3 torp launchers with up to 15km torps.

The Kagero is a lot of fun. It starts out with the Fubuki's 15km torps and upgrades to 20km ones with higher speed and damage. The only downside is that its turrets are really fragile, with 1 forward and 2 aft like the Hatsuhara and Fubuki. I have had both aft turrets permanently knocked out several times by one HE shell dinging for 100hp.

One thing to keep in mind with all the higher tier IJN destroyers is that it is usually best to skip the final hull upgrade on all of them. A bit more AA is usually not worth giving up a gun turret.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Really think they should nerf Japanese torp accuracy, range or damage. Traveling 15 + km in a straight line doing 15k damage per hit is just bullshit. Oh and HE's just better on North Carolina. I tried both, but with AP being loving unreliable it's just better to spam HE.

e: Oh and dumping torp right loving above.

Aesis fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 9, 2015

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Aesis posted:

Really think they should nerf Japanese torp accuracy, range or damage. Traveling 15 + km in a straight line doing 15k damage per hit is just bullshit. Oh and HE's just better on North Carolina. I tried both, but with AP being loving unreliable it's just better to spam HE.

e: Oh and dumping torp right loving above.

So you think that Japanese destroyers are somehow too good? :psyduck:

Try not to go in a straight line at the same speed all the time. You'll find that suddenly those "op" destroyers are much more manageable.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

El Disco posted:

So you think that Japanese destroyers are somehow too good? :psyduck:

Try not to go in a straight line at the same speed all the time. You'll find that suddenly those "op" destroyers are much more manageable.
I said torps not DD. I don't even get how you translate torps into DD but w/e. And even when it can be evaded, it's a great area/range denial weapon that also limits how and where you move, unlike US torps. I'm more concerned about torp making GBS threads at less than 1 km though.

Aesis fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jun 9, 2015

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Aesis posted:

I said torps not DD. I don't even get how you translate torps into DD but w/e. And even when it can be evaded, it's a great area/range denial weapon that also limits how and where you move, unlike US torps. I'm more concerned about torp making GBS threads at less than 1 km though.

Because destroyers launch torpedoes. I didn't think that was a huge leap in logic, but oh well. It was also the most charitable interpretation because if you're getting torpedoed by Japanese cruisers that you can spot at 10-15km then that's even more your own fault. And loving :lol: if you're complaining about aerial torpedoes going 15km.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Got into the Colorado. Shooting AP at Fuso. Barely doing 1k damage per hit.
Extremely salty.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

El Disco posted:

Because destroyers launch torpedoes. I didn't think that was a huge leap in logic, but oh well. It was also the most charitable interpretation because if you're getting torpedoed by Japanese cruisers that you can spot at 10-15km then that's even more your own fault. And loving :lol: if you're complaining about aerial torpedoes going 15km.
Clearly you can't read. I was talking about Japanese torps going 15+ km hitting 15k+ damage per hit AND aerial torp bombers dropping torps right above you (as separate stuff), not aerial torps going 15 km. And it doesn't take 'logic' to interpret that Japanese Cruisers also launch torps. And I didn't even mention getting hit but I did write that even when you evade them it can be a great area denial weapon unlike its US counterpart.

But then I wouldn't expect someone like you to be able to comprehend what other people write because you're too tunnel visioned so you just look at couple of words then are too busy typing bull poo poo :shrug: Keep interpreting other people's words to your taste, it just makes you look dumb gently caress.

Michaellaneous posted:

Got into the Colorado. Shooting AP at Fuso. Barely doing 1k damage per hit.
Extremely salty.
I was 1v1ing against Iowa with NC at 3 km range. We were both shooting citadels with AP and doing around 1,300 damage per hit. Game ended before neither of us could manage a kill :v:

Aesis fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jun 9, 2015

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Accusing others of being tunnel-visioned when you're the one eating torps is p. amusing.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Prav posted:

Accusing others of being tunnel-visioned when you're the one eating torps is p. amusing.
Nowhere did I write I was eating torps (apart from aerial ones right above). But then it seems you guys just like to think 'oh he's talking about torps, he must be eating torps that were launched from 10+ km so much'. I'd like to see you dodging all the torps that are being dropped right above you, in a battleship.

Aesis fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jun 9, 2015

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Aesis posted:

Nowhere did I write I was eating torps (apart from aerial ones right above). But then it seems you guys just like to think 'oh he's talking about torps, he must be eating torps that were launched from 10+ km so much'. I'd like to see you dodging all the torps that are being dropped right above you, in a battleship.

Actually, complaining about aerial ones is even more stupid. After the last patch drop and the changes to manual drops, it's incredibly difficult to hit even battleships if they have a competent captain and you don't manage to catch them in a turn or something. I've piloted straight through a 2 squadron weave pattern dropped to catch me right in the middle of it without a single hit in a battleship, which really should not be possible. And even if you do hit them, it's unlikely to be with more than one or two, since one of the changes they made was to both widen the spread in general, and make it so manual dropping does not narrow it whatsoever.

And yes, I'm laughing at your whining about how OP IJN torpedoes are too. "Oh no! He's making me maneuver a bit!" is the complaint you're making regarding their long range, and it's idiotic. More to the point, I'm fairly sure WG STILL has spotting distance tied to the overall range of a torpedo so you're actually spotting IJN ones from further out than their American counterparts, which is not only historically inaccurate, but also really lovely from a gameplay perspective.

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

Cool it a minute, babe, let me finish playing with my fake gun.
My preview of the game for Armchair General is up. I'd like to hear what you guys think, particularly about post .311 carriers.

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/world-of-warships-mmo-game-preview.htm

Thanks.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Is there a trick to IJN carriers? I seem to spend a lot of my time sobbing quietly while US planes sit above my deck and mock me out of the window due to my anaemic 4 fighter strong squadrons as they shoot down all of my planes.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Polyakov posted:

Is there a trick to IJN carriers? I seem to spend a lot of my time sobbing quietly while US planes sit above my deck and mock me out of the window due to my anaemic 4 fighter strong squadrons as they shoot down all of my planes.

Don't carry Japanese fighters, just load as many torpedo planes as you can and do your best to avoid fighters for as long as possible.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Aesis posted:

If you're complaining about aerial torpedoes I'm not sure why you mentioned going 15 km and doing 15000 damage; aerial torpedoes do neither.
And if the destroyer or cruiser is launching its torpedoes from right on top of you I'm not sure why you care that they could have gone 15 km if they missed. :shrug:

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
The best part is that ijn cruiser max torp range is 10km I believe, which is also why everyone made the leap to destroyers. In fact, the zao drops down to 8km torps from the ibuki and mogami's 10km range ones. Didn't look at firepower, but there you go. Only the ijn destroyers can pop 15-20km range torps.

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

Someone has to be that guy you never even saw who eats your 20km torps near max range when they were tactically dodged by your original target.

JuffoWup posted:

The best part is that ijn cruiser max torp range is 10km I believe, which is also why everyone made the leap to destroyers. In fact, the zao drops down to 8km torps from the ibuki and mogami's 10km range ones. Didn't look at firepower, but there you go. Only the ijn destroyers can pop 15-20km range torps.

To be fair the cruiser torpedos are better than the destroyer ones.
Since detection range is a percentage of max range the longer range torpedos can be seen from the moon by anyone who is not blind or travelling through smoke blindly.

This also makes it funny when someone complains about the 20km torps. I will gladly take the 7km Minekaze torps on a Shimakaze in 3x5 Tube launchers with a 47 second reload. Or the Zao torpedos - those things are awesome. 76kn, 8km, 21k damage.

Burno fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jun 10, 2015

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Yeah, even if he doesn't get hit by them at all, I don't see how he can be complaining about them being used as an area denial weapon. Sure it's area denial, but that is almost 100% of that destroyer's dps dodged if you just move out of the way. It's like being a character that focuses on CC in a MOBA. You trade off all your damage and survivability to lock an enemy down. Seems pretty reasonable to me.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Oh man, that guy's main weapon salvo for like two minutes made you turn. That's so OP compared to things that actually do, you know, damage.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

xthetenth posted:

Oh man, that guy's main weapon salvo for like two minutes made you turn. That's so OP compared to things that actually do, you know, damage.
Yeah well I loving hate turning :mad:

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

The reality of it is, its some rear end in a top hat with short range Torpedos like a Benson killing him from smoke, and the Shimakaze that never gets any kills is getting the blame.

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
Closed beta reward bote announced. It's the USS Arkansas, tier 4 US BB.
http://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/cbt-arkansas/

e: It's gonna be loving terrible. 20kts and it's not armed with the right guns. Looks like they're giving it the 12"/45 caliber Mark 5 instead of 12"/50 caliber.

Shalhavet fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jun 10, 2015

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
It sounds better than I expected, if the armor and guns are as good for the tier as they say. Plus the paint scheme is nice.

Has anyone watched any of the Anchor Report streams? Are they any good? I'm curious about the Signal Flags one they did a week or two ago. They were supposed to talk about new modules in addition to flags. I might watch it tonight since nobody posted a recap on their forums as far as I could tell.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
They're also discussing the next patch.

http://blog.worldofwarships.eu/patch-notes-0-3-1-4-explained-with-danny-volkov/

Izumo might actualy become decent ?

From Asian website
http://worldofwarships.asia/en/news/common/closed-beta-accounts-to-be-wiped-soon-reward-to-follow/

quote:

The Closed Beta Test will be undergoing another round of wipes very soon as we take one step closer to Open Beta and the eventual release of World of Warships. To create fair conditions for everyone who will join after the start of Open Beta, all progress will be removed, such as credits earned and ships purchased,

However, there are significant benefits to those who have participated actively in the testing. Here are the following benefits of your labour to reap:

Account Level will be partially restored based on the number of battles you fought.

Signal flags will be partially restored based on the number of battles you fought.

Two experienced commanders will await you in your port with a certain amount of free skills. This amount is dependent on your participation in the testing phase. These commanders will be at your service on Tier I US and IJN vessels until an appropriate account level is unlocked. At that point you can retain these two gentlemen to command any ship you desire for free.

Note: Contents of any purchased pre-order packages will be invoiced to your account after the wipe, as previously stated in the package description and on our portal. Iwaki Alpha will be restored to your port if you received this ship for your participation in the Closed Alpha phase. Please note that you will receive only the ship – modifications and crew will be wiped.

Krogort fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jun 10, 2015

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The Hosho remains totally hosed then

Haha wow, the Izumo and Yamato are getting 7km base range secondaries, with the skills and mods what does that push them out to?

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jun 10, 2015

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

NTRabbit posted:

Haha wow, the Izumo and Yamato are getting 7km base range secondaries, with the skills and mods what does that push them out to?

About 9.8 to 10km depending on how the two bonuses stack up.

Nasty stuff.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
9.8km secondaries on the Yamato? Jesus christ, destroyer captains are going to weep. :stare: I might actually come back for a few games to try that out even though I'm currently playing otehr stuff so I won't be burned out for when OBT starts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

Shalhavet posted:

Closed beta reward bote announced. It's the USS Arkansas, tier 4 US BB.
http://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/cbt-arkansas/

e: It's gonna be loving terrible. 20kts and it's not armed with the right guns. Looks like they're giving it the 12"/45 caliber Mark 5 instead of 12"/50 caliber.

Uuuugh. I wish they'd give you a choice of what ship you get. Or a cruiser since it's the most "jack of all trades" style ship. loving BBs.