Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
Costco had the samsung UN65JU650d on sale for $2100. im thinking ill give that a try in a comparison against the sony.

Cornjob fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jun 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Puddin posted:

People say extended warranties are useless, but I've just had a tv crap out 2 years outside of manufacturers warranty this week and am now getting a new tv up to the value of the old one of my choice.

It's not that any given warranty is useless, it's that on average with the money you saved by not buying warranties (assuming you buy a warranty for every tv) over time you could have just bought a new TV. If you just purchased one warranty for this one item, then you got lucky/unlucky depending on how you look at it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Really, if you buy a TV later in its production run (hopefully snagging a discount on it) and buy it on a credit card that extends the warranty, you should be good. By doing that you've probably sidestepped any early production issues, had a chance to see if any systemic issues with the model have popped up, and have that extra year buffer on your credit card to cover any outliers.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
So what are the suggested 70+ inch 4k tvs?

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
An update on my search for a replacement to my Panasonic 65" plasma.

i compared the sony XBR65x850b ($2300 an BB) to the Samsung UN65JU650d ($2079 at costco). Overall, the Sony destroyed the Samsung.

A bit of background; I know quite a bit about video and panel technology. Ive been to ISF and THX calibration training numerous times. I have a Klein K-10 colorimeter. I have a 1080p LED DLP for critical viewing. The plasma was just for daily tv and netflix. The plasma was beginning to make a noticeable impact on our power bill and in the summer months with no air conditioning, it was adding alot of unwanted heat. Not to mention it weighed a thousand pounds. It was 6 years old, and i was ready for a change.

I knew there would be compromises with whatever i bought to replace it.

the main issue was finding something with comparable black level. i compared several panels in the store, and bought the samsung and sony to take home.

Without getting into the gory details, the Sony had better color, processing, viewing angle, and contrast.
sony on the wall, samsung in front

The only concern with the sony is flashlighting. It looks like a slight glow from the rear backlight.

blank screen

with content

samsung scaling

sony scaling

overall, the sony gets the job done. Unless you goons tell me theres another panel i should be looking at.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
All lcd's are going to have backlight bleed. The larger the tv the more noticeable it will be.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Do you have all local dimming turned off for that all blank screen?

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
for the sony? no. i believe it was on the "low" setting.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Are those tvs even comparable? Why not compare that Sony with the JU8500?

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

sellouts posted:

Are those tvs even comparable? Why not compare that Sony with the JU8500?

Probabaly not, but they had similar pricing.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Does anyone know if the new Sony Androi tv's, specifically the KDL55W800C has the remote play App that they have for, as the name would suggest, remote playing from a PS4 on the network as it does for the Vita and Xperia phones?

The .apk was ported out to be able to be used on any android phone which works fine on my LG phone, but if it comes with the app or sideloading apps is able to be done on the tv, it would be great for when the wife is writing on the computer next to where I normally play the PS4, as to no disturb her.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Unless there is a factory recovery image for your tv. It sounds like a pretty expensive item to brick if you gently caress something up.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
I just ordered a Samsung tv for my parents. Question is, would it be possible to access an external hd (hooked up via usb to the tv) from within the network? Or do I need a separate solution like a wifi-hd for that?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Puddin posted:

Does anyone know if the new Sony Androi tv's, specifically the KDL55W800C has the remote play App that they have for, as the name would suggest, remote playing from a PS4 on the network as it does for the Vita and Xperia phones?

The .apk was ported out to be able to be used on any android phone which works fine on my LG phone, but if it comes with the app or sideloading apps is able to be done on the tv, it would be great for when the wife is writing on the computer next to where I normally play the PS4, as to no disturb her.

I doubt it would have the app, because officially Remote Play only works with the Vita, Xperia phones and Playstation TV. They would have advertised if their TVs can do it direct.

The Playstation TV is only like $50 though. You should probably just get one of those instead of risking breaking something.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I ended up getting a Samsung 55JU6400 anyway so the point is moot. It wasn't a neccessity I was just wondering if it had the availability.

Anyhow, the new tv is stunning, 1080p content upscaled to 4k looks pretty darn good and with the motion plus crap turned off input lag playing games is actually really low, one review measures it as about 28ms which is lower than the tv it replaced.

Extremely happy with the purchase.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Puddin posted:

I ended up getting a Samsung 55JU6400 anyway so the point is moot. It wasn't a neccessity I was just wondering if it had the availability.

Anyhow, the new tv is stunning, 1080p content upscaled to 4k looks pretty darn good and with the motion plus crap turned off input lag playing games is actually really low, one review measures it as about 28ms which is lower than the tv it replaced.

These are supposed to make pretty awesome 4k monitors as well if you want to go that way (I know the JU6500 can, not sure what the difference is).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Puddin posted:

Well the Playstation TV is still an option with that too, if that's something you want to do.

BurnBlackJay
May 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Hi I would like to buy a tv screen for TV and movies in UK , thu sony kdl32w705b seems ok but for the price point (~max £350/$550) are there any better alternatives ? ?? Thx

e: Why the heck is this so cheap ? ? ??

e2: this looks good too IM SO CONFUSED

BurnBlackJay fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jun 12, 2015

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

BurnBlackJay posted:

Hi I would like to buy a tv screen for TV and movies in UK , thu sony kdl32w705b seems ok but for the price point (~max £350/$550) are there any better alternatives ? ?? Thx

Why are you considering a 32" tv?

For that budget you should be able to get at least a 42" and probably a 50".

BurnBlackJay
May 31, 2011

by Lowtax

NihilismNow posted:

Why are you considering a 32" tv?

For that budget you should be able to get at least a 42" and probably a 50".

I'm leaning towards this one from reviews, seems like a good balance of £££££££££ and quality

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I'd like to get a new TV, preferably something in the 50 - 60 inch range (i.e. not over sixty inches) and would like to spend less than $1000.00 if possible (but would go over by a hundred or two if it's really worth it). It will be used almost exclusively to play games on my PS4 and watch Netflix on said PS4. Please give me your suggestions on units and where to buy to get the best deal/service. Thanks!

Oh, also, I have a separate sound system and do not need 3D.

Brother Tadger fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 14, 2015

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Sony 60" W850B, 1050 on Amazon. 24.3ms response lag, pretty much the best.

A "better TV" might be the 55" Samsung UN55JU6500. You get 4k if that matters (it really shouldn't) and is almost the same price. Game mode is slightly slower to respond but not that much really.

And no one buys a tv for sound or for 3d anymore so all of that is irrelevant

sellouts fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jun 14, 2015

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

sellouts posted:

Sony 60" W850B, 1050 on Amazon. 24.3ms response lag, pretty much the best.

A "better TV" might be the 55" Samsung UN55JU6500. You get 4k if that matters (it really shouldn't) and is almost the same price. Game mode is slightly slower to respond but not that much really.

And no one buys a tv for sound or for 3d anymore so all of that is irrelevant

Okay cool. I figured as much regarding 3d and sound, but figured more info is always better. Thanks for the help!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Go to Best Buy and look at the Samsung. I doubt they'll have the 850B (it was replaced by the 850C which is 65 and 75"), but check if they do. I really like Sony's motion compared to most Samsungs but I also am paralyzed by not finding the perfect TV so I sit on the sidelines...

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

I'm about to pull the trigger on a VIZIO E70-C3, (http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-E65-C3-...3AATVPDKIKX0DER) - The 70" version

The only thing throwing me off is the brand name, I've seen it around and I read the OP saying it wasn't a brand to actively avoid, but is it an actual good brand with non-lovely customer service people incase of warranty repairs, etc? $1,300 was my max cost and I don't even really want a smart TV (no use from it at all, being used for HTPC already) but the Vizio seems noticeably cheaper. Also the Cnet review says it's really good.

Thoughts/comments/suggestions?

Botnit fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 19, 2015

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

Ted Nugent is the next generation in Joint Combat soldiers

Botnit posted:

I'm about to pull the trigger on a VIZIO E70-C3, (http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-E65-C3-...3AATVPDKIKX0DER) - The 70" version

The only thing throwing me off is the brand name, I've seen it around and I read the OP saying it wasn't a brand to actively avoid, but is it an actual good brand with non-lovely customer service people incase of warranty repairs, etc? $1,300 was my max cost and I don't even really want a smart TV (no use from it at all, being used for HTPC already) but the Vizio seems noticeably cheaper. Also the Cnet review says it's really good.

You've really never heard of vizio before? They are the #1 hdtv brand in america, you'll be fine. Their setup is that they are a very good value-to-price brand, so you'll get a decent tv but not the best you can buy.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

NO ONE GIVES A poo poo THAT YOU DONT WANT SMART TV FEATURES. NO ONE DOES. THEY COME WITH EVERYTHING.

You're getting the best deal possible for $1300 @ 70".

It is a non lovely brand. It doesn't look as good as other TVs but again, you're only spending $1300 and you're getting 70". Hence, it's a value brand.

A SWELL DUDE
Feb 8, 2005

Botnit posted:

I have the E70-C3 in my bonus room as well as a 60" Samsung H6350 downstairs. My TLDR is that the Samsung absolutely blows the Vizio out of the water as far as picture quality goes, but you're not going to find a better deal on a 2015 model TV at 70" than the Vizio. The Vizio is not bad by any means, and if you're planning to do any gaming on it, the blur/input lag is virtually nonexistent. There's no reason to be worried. I sometimes regret foregoing the Samsung 75", but then I remind myself that the $1000 I saved went towards an awesome 5.1 audio setup.

Ethanfr0me
Feb 2, 2012
I'm looking for a TV to be used exclusively with a PS4, less than $500, at least 40"?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Buy a vizio!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

sellouts posted:

NO ONE GIVES A poo poo THAT YOU DONT WANT SMART TV FEATURES. NO ONE DOES. THEY COME WITH EVERYTHING.

You're getting the best deal possible for $1300 @ 70".

It is a non lovely brand. It doesn't look as good as other TVs but again, you're only spending $1300 and you're getting 70". Hence, it's a value brand.

I'm actually pleasantly surprised with the quality of the smart tv features on my Sony. It's definitely nice to watch an episode on Netflix without changing inputs or remotes or controlling it with an iPad/chromecast. I'll trade jankiness for convenience in this case. I do wonder why it's so janky, though. It's not hard or expensive to have a nice, sharp, responsive interface with Netflix. A raspberry Pi can manage it, so what gives?

The 3D stuff looks like hot garbage, though. Those glasses are in a drawer from which they will never return!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

A lack of developmental resources is all I can guess. They're on a platform they know nothing about and updates are likely few and far between.

Netflix on TV is good for 4k, as you can't get it through another standalone app. But avoiding smart tv features isn't a way to save money and shouldn't be brought up. They just exist.

To be honest, anyone who cares about convenience should just get a Harmony Smart hub remote. It makes things available at the press of a button and is far easier to use than accessing the smart tv features on 2014 samsungs.

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

Next-Gen posted:

You've really never heard of vizio before? They are the #1 hdtv brand in america, you'll be fine. Their setup is that they are a very good value-to-price brand, so you'll get a decent tv but not the best you can buy.

I said I'd seen it around but only at Walmart, had no idea they were #1 American brand, just thought they were some generic WM electronic brand. Almost ended up ordering a Sharp even though it has a ton of reviews about that line being defective.

Ordered the Vizio. Thanks for the save.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
So I have put a lot of thought into it, and I am going to wait on a good TV until OLED prices come down. That combined with the fact that 4k content is so sparse is leading me to believe this is the right decision.

So I just want to get a tv in the mean time, and all I need is >55 inches and 1080p. I don't need super quality but just a decent enough TV for when I do want to play rockband when the friends are over.

I am looking into Vizio and I have two questions:

1) Some people I know are literally losing their minds over the fact that I am considering a vizio, considering the brand to be literally trash and telling me I will have to buy a new TV within a year because they are so badly made with such quality issues.

2) Would it be a bad idea to order a TV off amazon? Or should I stick to a store front?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

What TV do you have now?

Best Buy will price match Amazon if you're buying from Amazon and not a 3rd party.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

sellouts posted:

What TV do you have now?

Best Buy will price match Amazon if you're buying from Amazon and not a 3rd party.

None. I don't currently own a tv.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Then yeah, with Amazon charging tax now I'd just price match what I wanted at Best Buy and see if they'll get you anything else that is sweeter.

Also 55" OLED is down to 2k w/ no tax at certain retailers, if that's closer to your price barrier.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

tuyop posted:

I do wonder why it's so janky, though. It's not hard or expensive to have a nice, sharp, responsive interface with Netflix. A raspberry Pi can manage it, so what gives?

Because Android.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

sellouts posted:

Then yeah, with Amazon charging tax now I'd just price match what I wanted at Best Buy and see if they'll get you anything else that is sweeter.

Also 55" OLED is down to 2k w/ no tax at certain retailers, if that's closer to your price barrier.

Figure I can get a dirt cheap 1080p for less than half that. And unfortunately when I do want to go big I am going to go ~70" and for OLED that is insanely expensive now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Jump on the Sony W850b bandwagon with me (toot toot). Fry's should price match Amazon at $1098 and its a pretty good 60' TV at that price. That being said I'm still super tempted to drop down to Vizio E65 at $950 but I don't know if I'm willing to play QC roulette.

Gorman Thomas fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jun 22, 2015