Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Oh man I love it when a car doesn't suck. I just swapped out the original shocks on the Miata for fresh new OEM equivalents and it's awesome again. So much fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

BloodBag posted:

God loving damnit. The moment it looks like I might get ahead on bills, some other poo poo needs replacing. Now the 1978 vintage maytag dryer won't heat. The breaker isn't tripped. gently caress me, why does this poo poo always happen? :smithicide:

Could be worse, the apartment complex I live in is older/renovated and was built sometime in the 70s - when I first moved in, 3 wall outlets didn't work and 2 made awful crackling noises when I plugged something in (yay fire hazard!) After talking with the management office and having them "fix" the problem (1 of 3 outlets started working, the rest were in the same shape as before), I went to Home Depot and spent all of like $7 on about a dozen electrical outlets and replaced all of them myself. At least now I can rest easier knowing my outlets aren't crackling and literally sparking when something is plugged in, and no worries about damaged electronics :woop:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

quote:

Most AI: $1000 540 with no air con
Most roadkill: $750 f250 with no cruise
Most time efficient: Flight out there and car rental
Most cost effective: rental car from local avis and drive out
Most questionable: my dad's 454 chev RV, would probably still need car rental some days.
Most ride eternal, shiny and chrome: 73 lincoln

This is to be the new metric when deciding on a new project, or deciding on a road trip. Maybe with the addition of "Most petcock: <motorcycle option>" after it for CA guys. My suggested order:

Most time efficient: <fastest, if not the cheapest>
Most cost effective: <cheapest, if not the fastest>
Most questionable: <most CSB, if not the safest>
Most roadkill: <most roadkill>
Most ride eternal, shiny and chrome: <un-:mediocre:, most-:perfect:>

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Aaand I got laid off. And despite the timing being slightly poor, I have no problems with this- slinging transmissions and diffs doesn't seem like it's my calling. Got a lead on a fleet job, pay is poo poo but it's all brand new trucks/3-5 year old super Bs and I'd be working with a couple of really good guys that I worked with at the old job.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BigPaddy posted:

That kind of distance I would rent local and drop it off at the end and fly back. It is less an issue of fuel and more an issue of reliability and having no cost tows if the thing dies on you.

Only problem with that plan is it seems to me (the one time I've done a one-way rental) they really jack you up on mileage costs, whereas a rent/return for the same number of days will have unlimited miles. I did a one-way from IND to MCI and the amount of miles they included barely covered that trip, let alone any driving in either city.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Tommychu posted:

Aaand I got laid off. And despite the timing being slightly poor, I have no problems with this- slinging transmissions and diffs doesn't seem like it's my calling. Got a lead on a fleet job, pay is poo poo but it's all brand new trucks/3-5 year old super Bs and I'd be working with a couple of really good guys that I worked with at the old job.

Sucks but at least it sounds like you have another gig lined up.

Powershift posted:

Looking at a road trip to the east coast, ~10,000kms.

Options:

Most AI: $1000 540 with no air con
Most roadkill: $750 f250 with no cruise
Most time efficient: Flight out there and car rental
Most cost effective: rental car from local avis and drive out
Most questionable: my dad's 454 chev RV, would probably still need car rental some days.
Most ride eternal, shiny and chrome: 73 lincoln

The problem is we own 7 vehicles between us. the smallest engine is 4.4 liters, the average is 6.1. the only 2 capable of 20+mpg are auction beaters.

Fly out, buy something more and drive back. I have a line on a 2WD Justy with 70k miles on it that we can graft Prius electric parts into for the drive home, because it won't have an engine by the time you get out here if you say yes.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

leica posted:

I've got a Speed Queen top loader with a stainless steel tub :smug:

Most new washers these days are garbage. Mine will last until I'm dead and then my son will probably still be using it.

When I say "tub", I mean the outer tub that the basket sits in. Everyone else uses a plastic outer tub that can get punctured by an errant screw or nail, but Speed Queen uses a steel outer tub. The stainless basket, which is the part you dump clothes into, is a nice touch though.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Speaking as a person who just replaced every appliance in my house other than the washer and dryer I can safely say anything made in the past ten years is garbage.

I don't know what qualifies as an engineer these days but whoever made the decision to mount the motor only onto the plastic drain tub for my dishwasher and save 70 cents in parts to offset the weight somewhere else needs to be shot.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Adiabatic posted:

Nah, oil starvation was my plight. My motor was at 99k. All AP1s do this. If you pop the valve cover off, you can check which ones are failing by the amount the tip of the valve is sunk into the retainer.

Yeah I thought they just cracked if you mechanically overrevved. I'll check them when I do my gasket, hopefully they are ok for now

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

1500quidporsche posted:

Speaking as a person who just replaced every appliance in my house other than the washer and dryer I can safely say anything made in the past ten years is garbage.

I don't know what qualifies as an engineer these days but whoever made the decision to mount the motor only onto the plastic drain tub for my dishwasher and save 70 cents in parts to offset the weight somewhere else needs to be shot.

Its like car makers, they are notoriously cheap. But save a dollar, build a million units, you just saved a million dollars.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Its like car makers, they are notoriously cheap. But save a dollar, build a million units, you just saved a million dollars.

I would think especially in home appliances that serviceability is an even lesser consideration because you want them coming back for something new in a few years anyways... the lower price point virtually guarantees it! :v:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

The "activities" I lead in one of my many roles at work will save £3500 per month, if people pull their fingers out and do them. One is a series of steel cost reductions, reducing the size of the steel blanks that become body panels. People are spending their careers removing a fraction of a penny per vehicle. I wish I was doing something more interesting. :sigh:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

1500quidporsche posted:

Maytag can't make money off the 1983 washer/dryers I had in my last apartment.
My mom was a dedicated purchaser of Iowa Maytags, but she only bought new stuff every 20-30 years. That doesn't keep the lights on.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

nm posted:

My mom was a dedicated purchaser of Iowa Maytags, but she only bought new stuff every 20-30 years. That doesn't keep the lights on.

I'd gladly pay 3-4 times the current price of appliances if it meant I'd be keeping them for 30 years. But as it is now I'm not dropping extra cash just to get some stainless steel fridge where the compressor is going to turn into a 2 stroke engine 7 years from now.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr2iQ96em2w

Can't believe I've only just heard of this. Guess it never aired in the UK

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

freelop posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr2iQ96em2w

Can't believe I've only just heard of this. Guess it never aired in the UK

Oh it did, it was a Sky One deal from what I remember, back when cable/satellite was still a relatively new thing. Capcom make a scrolling beat 'em up of it too which is pretty fun.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

nm posted:

They shut down their washer/dryer manufactuing in Newton back in 2009, put a huge swath of the town out of work. Only thing Maytag does in Iowa anymore is some refrigeration work in Amana.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Just got carb cleaner in my eye, its been a while since Ive felt how great that is. Still better than brake cleaner when last time that happened it instantly dropped me to my knees in pain and I went blind in it for an hour or so.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

1500quidporsche posted:

I'd gladly pay 3-4 times the current price of appliances if it meant I'd be keeping them for 30 years. But as it is now I'm not dropping extra cash just to get some stainless steel fridge where the compressor is going to turn into a 2 stroke engine 7 years from now.

Back when I did QA for white goods (that was fun, destroying things on high speed camera with thinly veiled excuses) there were a couple of brands we used as comparisons that fit that bill but I can't think of them right now. £1500 for a washing machine with a similar spec to the £250 ones we made, but apocalypse-proof. Hundreds of thousands of cycles on them with hard water, abrasives in the load, cheap nasty chemicals, anything, they just kept trucking. One brand began with a k I think.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Could be kitchen aide. That's what most my stuff is now, seems reasonably well put together but I literally tried finding the best built entry model I could find. I'm not planning on staying in my place more then another year or two

GE is the worst. My place was all GE when I moved in and the design of everything was just garbage. I'm still half expecting my dryer to come flying off the wall one of these days because it can't handle doing my bed sheets without being unbalanced as gently caress.

I forget what brand my fridge is but after six months the compressor already started making small noises. Wouldn't expect that thing to last past the 5 year mark.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Oh man I love it when a car doesn't suck. I just swapped out the original shocks on the Miata for fresh new OEM equivalents and it's awesome again. So much fun.

I feel like fresh shocks on an old beater is the best bang-for-buck 'wow this car feels new again" upgrade possible, even more so than new bushings (also great.)

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Steering uj imo.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

In a complete derail - Street Outlaws on Discovery. Yes I totally believe you guys live in fear doing your test runs on public roads yet come saturday night you can all hang about on a random road with 10 1500bhp+ drag cars and run multiple races and no one bats an eyelid. Come on discovery you used to make documentaries now you just make bad fake reality TV.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

So fuckin' glad I abandoned cable television years ago. For every worthwhile show, there are hundreds of absolute shitpiles.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Safety Dance posted:

So fuckin' glad I abandoned cable television years ago. For every worthwhile show, there are hundreds of absolute shitpiles.

Once History Channel became a series of Build-a-Bike and Pawn Shop shows I gave up. Netflix/Hulu covers anything that ends up being good.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Suspension is definitely the best thing you can do for a beater car to turn it around. Bushings are great but they're more of a fine tuning, they aren't going to make any real difference if your suspension is blown out.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

BigPaddy posted:

In a complete derail - Street Outlaws on Discovery. Yes I totally believe you guys live in fear doing your test runs on public roads yet come saturday night you can all hang about on a random road with 10 1500bhp+ drag cars and run multiple races and no one bats an eyelid. Come on discovery you used to make documentaries now you just make bad fake reality TV.

Still better than the show about the fake motorcycle club that's fighting with the other take motorcycle club

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I don't think there is a job more soul sucking then packaging group benefits renewals for small businesses. gently caress this job.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Bape Culture posted:

Steering uj imo.

I'll second this, but in my case I went from a rag joint to a pair of new U-joints. Massive improvement in feel.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

1500quidporsche posted:

Could be kitchen aide. That's what most my stuff is now, seems reasonably well put together but I literally tried finding the best built entry model I could find. I'm not planning on staying in my place more then another year or two

GE is the worst. My place was all GE when I moved in and the design of everything was just garbage. I'm still half expecting my dryer to come flying off the wall one of these days because it can't handle doing my bed sheets without being unbalanced as gently caress.

I forget what brand my fridge is but after six months the compressor already started making small noises. Wouldn't expect that thing to last past the 5 year mark.

http://speedqueen.com/products.aspx

Still made in the usa :911:

Safety Dance posted:

The new El Ray network is the poo poo and pretty much the only thing I have been watching for the past month. Cable needs more channels like it.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

You guys talk as if Discovery hasn't been poo poo for a long time already. Remember American Hot Rod? aka Boyd Coddington Yells At His Staff.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

mariooncrack posted:

Still better than the show about the fake motorcycle club that's fighting with the other take motorcycle club

OCC?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

MrChips posted:

You guys talk as if Discovery hasn't been poo poo for a long time already. Remember American Hot Rod? aka Boyd Coddington Yells At His Staff.

I tried watching that show multiple times just to see the work being done, but I couldn't sit through the bullshit from the incompetent employees or the whining from Boyd. As far as I can tell, his main purpose was to harp on the employees and then get fawned over at car shows. What an rear end.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I still miss monster garage. :(

Still had drama, but ended up with some AI as gently caress creations at the end, and (at least in the first season) on a shoestring budget.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Since I'm banned from Facebook I'm actually attempting to use Twitter

I don't like it nearly as much

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

mariooncrack posted:

Oh yeah I forgot about that one. Street Outlaws should just be replaced with the Adventures of Farmtruck and Azn and they would have a winner. The rest of the grrrr we are serious street racers grr stuff can go.

Velocity has some good stuff on it from time to time like Wheeler Dealers if can you put up with Mike "'old oart your 'and" Brewer.

BigPaddy fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jun 9, 2015

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

MrChips posted:

My favorite Boyd Yells at Staff Moment (as I remember it, anyway): He orders a ton of chicken wings for his shop. Two guys don't like wings, so they quietly slip out, get some lunch, and come back without saying anything. He yells and calls them ungrateful or some such :v:

I think I'm going to try sketchy drive thru chinese for lunch.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

The LG that was in my house when I bought it has made horrendous clunking compressor sounds the entire time I've owned it. I've been waiting for it to die, but it just won't.

Occasionally it seems like it gets up a real head of pissed-off and has this one single loud bang-clunk, but then it fires up again just after I get excited about fridge shopping.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

1500quidporsche posted:

Anecdotal, but our Samsung stuff has been rockstar solid. Its a large-capacity topload washer and matched drier. We've put a lot of abuse through it in the last 3 years, and its still going strong. 3 friends have bought them off our recommendation, and same experience. It wasn't the most expensive, but it wasn't cheap. I'm just scared if the electronics ever go :P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

QuarkMartial posted:

My favorite Boyd Yells at Staff Moment (as I remember it, anyway): He orders a ton of chicken wings for his shop. Two guys don't like wings, so they quietly slip out, get some lunch, and come back without saying anything. He yells and calls them ungrateful or some such :v:

I think I'm going to try sketchy drive thru chinese for lunch.

Counterpoint: Who the hell doesn't like chicken wings?

• Locked thread