Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Broken Cog posted:

You get an entry about her on the character page when you see the scene in Novigrad.

I may or may not have bothered to read any of those... the list of characters got really long!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
It's kind of sad that updated character entries in the glossary don't get an asterisk like new ones so if a quest updates 50 character pages you can easily miss those updates.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
After hearing that some people were disappointed in the quests in Skillege, thought I'd highlight a few quests I've played in that region I thought were worth checking out

"Price of Honor" on Faroe. Simple quest but a moving story behind it. Found in the village of Harviken
"Iron Maiden" on that island is pretty cool as well

Couple of quests on Ark Skellige
"The Nithing" Village of Rannavig
"In the Heart of the Woods" Village of Fayrlund

The contract "Phantom of Eldberg" starts off a chain of subsequent quests with a really cool final quest.

There's probably more as I've only seen about 11 of the 37 quests on Skellige but those were the ones that stood out.

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 9, 2015

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
Haha ok I just started the Tower Outta Nowheres quest in Skellige

So a mage is trapped in his mage's tower because his Defensive Regulatory Magicon is running haywire.

And the solution is to find Gottfried's... something, I was too busy noticing the initials make the acronym GOG and having the eureka moment.

Edit: Oh there we are, Gottfried's Omni-Opening Grimoire.

Are we taking the piss a little bit, CDPR?

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011

theblackw0lf posted:

"Price of Honor" on Faroe. Simple quest but a moving story behind it. Found in the village of Harviken
Did they fix this one so you can actually recover the Dowry? You can get a key from one of the brothers, but the sunken ship has a supposedly interactable chest that you can't open, and the final dialogue of the chain sounds like there's an option missing to return it.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Aishan posted:

Did they fix this one so you can actually recover the Dowry? You can get a key from one of the brothers, but the sunken ship has a supposedly interactable chest that you can't open, and the final dialogue of the chain sounds like there's an option missing to return it.

Ah yea I was going crazy figuring out why I couldn't unlock the chest. Guess not.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Meiteron posted:

So a mage is trapped in his mage's tower because his Defensive Regulatory Magicon is running haywire.

And the solution is to find Gottfried's... something, I was too busy noticing the initials make the acronym GOG and having the eureka moment.

Best part is the defense system that spawns in a variety of fearsome monsters, ending with a cow

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
What is a worse death: being exploded by a malfunctioning megascope after several seconds of screaming agony while Geralt stands there smirking at you or fleeing in terror for several months then getting caught and beaten to pieces by soldiers and then Geralt stabs you?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

turtlecrunch posted:

What is a worse death: being exploded by a malfunctioning megascope after several seconds of screaming agony while Geralt stands there smirking at you or fleeing in terror for several months then getting caught and beaten to pieces by soldiers and then Geralt stabs you?

Third option: when you find her, just leave her to die on her own. You don't have to grant her request. I did because I'm not a monster, but if you really want the worst death...

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Manatee Cannon posted:

Third option: when you find her, just leave her to die on her own. You don't have to grant her request. I did because I'm not a monster, but if you really want the worst death...

I thought that if you leave her, Yen kills her?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

I thought that if you leave her, Yen kills her?

Maybe if you outright refuse, but if you don't Yen takes Margarita through the portal and leaves you and Sile alone. You still have the option of not granting her a merciful death at that point.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
New DLC hitting this week: some sort of pig-centered sidequest (that won't be as good as Princess), and :siren: :swoon: NEW GWENT CARDS :swoon: :siren:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Aishan posted:

Regarding skills, I'm not sure if it's a bug or not but some of mine have the gold 'equipped' border around them even when they're not actively slotted, and I can still use their effect, notably for the alternate modes for signs, for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6yT5IzizwU

PS4 version if it makes any difference.
Its a bug of some kind, though I don't know what triggers it. I can't use alt-Igni like that.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Meiteron posted:

that quest is just a good time adventure, up to and including the end

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

playing on the xbone, I can't tell if the movement changed with 1.04. Still feels clumsy as hell to me

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Ravenfood posted:

Its a bug of some kind, though I don't know what triggers it. I can't use alt-Igni like that.

For me Aard alt doesnt work no matter what I try slotting. It looks useful :smith:

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Blue Raider posted:

that quest is just a good time adventure, up to and including the end

Defensive regulatory magicon. A DRM joke?

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

For pc users unable to alt sign despite having it slotted, do the following:

Navigate to and open %USERPROFILE%\Documents\The Witcher 3\input.settings with a text editor.
Find every instance of IK_Q=(Action=CastSignHold,State=Duration,IdleTime=0.2) and set 0.2 to 0.05
Save changes

This also allows puppet master and delusion to slotted at the same time.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed
So, the Wild Hunt warriors (when they're in the flesh, and not projected spectres, which is how they almsot always were until Witcher 3 for some reason, tbh a lot of the mysterious build-up of the hunt kind of evaporates in this game) get fought by Geralt using the silver sword. Any reason why this is? They should be flesh and blood elves

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Defensive regulatory magicon. A DRM joke?

Yes. Very blatantly. You're literally using GOG to override faulty DRM. It isn't subtle in the least.

And that's why it's AMAZING.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Carol Pizzamom posted:

So, the Wild Hunt warriors (when they're in the flesh, and not projected spectres, which is how they almsot always were until Witcher 3 for some reason, tbh a lot of the mysterious build-up of the hunt kind of evaporates in this game) get fought by Geralt using the silver sword. Any reason why this is? They should be flesh and blood elves

Different dimension something something Conjunction of the Spheres.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Finished the game just half an hour ago.

Ciri went to become a Witcher and Geralt chose to lead a simple life together with Yennefer. It was a nice surprise, for a second I really had thought that Ciri was dead. It was a bit too bad there weren't more ending slides though, like what happened to Dandelion, Zoltan and Priscilla. Not the greatest of endings, but not a downer at least.

Good game, deserved the full price purchase.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

FrickenMoron posted:

Finished the game just half an hour ago.

Ciri went to become a Witcher and Geralt chose to lead a simple life together with Yennefer. It was a nice surprise, for a second I really had thought that Ciri was dead. It was a bit too bad there weren't more ending slides though, like what happened to Dandelion, Zoltan and Priscilla. Not the greatest of endings, but not a downer at least.

Good game, deserved the full price purchase.

One of the other endings tells you what happens with Dandelion and Priscilla

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

GrossMurpel posted:

Different dimension something something Conjunction of the Spheres.

Which according to lore brought humans over from another world and displaced the dwarves and elves already living there, and they were in turn not native to the world. So to be consistent, silver swords should be used against all regular humanoids.

Kopijeger fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 9, 2015

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

theblackw0lf posted:

One of the other endings tells you what happens with Dandelion and Priscilla

Why couldnt they shove stuff like that into one big ending :argh:

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Kopijeger posted:

Which according to lore brought humans over from another world and displaced the dwarves and elves already living there, and they were in turn not native to the world. So to be consistent, silver swords should be used against all regular humanoids.

:ssh: I know. As far as I remember, Geralt only uses the silver sword once or twice in the books, so the actual explanation is game devs going "oooh we can make a cool mechanic out of that, let's use silver for everything monster-y or magical".

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

I like to pretend that I've assigned Geralt a contract of my own: rid the lands of all these question marks.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

Meiteron posted:

gently caress me I didn't pick up on that, even though I noticed the names were a bit of a mouthful.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

FrickenMoron posted:

Why couldnt they shove stuff like that into one big ending :argh:

Yea they could at least have created ending illustrations about them.

Attention whoever at CD Projekt is reading this. Please make ending illustrations for more characters for an expanded edition or content patch addition.

Love your game though, one of the best ever :)

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Scandalous posted:

gently caress me I didn't pick up on that, even though I noticed the names were a bit of a mouthful.

Oh and another nice detail to go on top of this: he bought the tower legitimately when it was on sale and he was screwed by the DRM because he wasn't the original owner :laugh:

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Ending talk:

Was it just me, or did the story kinda peter out once we had to fetch Ancient Elven Plot Item in order to trigger the endgame? The final bosses were fine enough, but I know a lot of people didn't like the abrupt "oh Avallach's the REAL bad guy...wait no he's not it's the White Frost, and only Ciri can stop it etc etc" deal. I was fine with it because there was enough mention of the White Frost that it didn't just come out of nowhere. Still kinda fizzed out a bit after Kaer Morhen and Bald Mountain. Still a fantastic game though.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

My wishlist for the enhanced edition:
  • New Game+
  • Named monster mutagens should be more powerful than standard red/blue/green mutagens. At the end you're drowning in them - I had like 20 green wraith mutagens - and they are completely useless once you got your decoction. Maybe leave the bonuses as they are, but add some monster specific side effects - increased vitality regeneration from werewolf mutagens, some sort of visual phasing effect when dodging from wraith mutagens...
  • More perk slots or perk upgrade paths that include lower level effects in the higher tiers. As it is, you need to spend ability points in skills you don't even intend to use just to unlock higher tiers. Once you unlock the higher tiered skill, you'll need to drop the stepping stone skills anyway to open up a slot. Additional perk slots could be part of NG+.
  • More uniquely tuned weapons. Maybe add some gimmicky ones. I read somewhere there is a +100% crit damage sword around. As it is, a lot of weapons feel like boring sidegrades (and inferior to witcher gear).
  • bigger saddlebags or a storage vault at Vivaldi's bank. With all three Witcher sets, I am constantly hovering at 140/160 inventory space.
  • Quest to hunt down the Zoltan Chivay card if you missed it from the scholar in White Orchard. Still miffed about that.
  • Gwent tournaments. Lots of them.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jun 9, 2015

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

CVagts posted:

Ending talk:

Was it just me, or did the story kinda peter out once we had to fetch Ancient Elven Plot Item in order to trigger the endgame? The final bosses were fine enough, but I know a lot of people didn't like the abrupt "oh Avallach's the REAL bad guy...wait no he's not it's the White Frost, and only Ciri can stop it etc etc" deal. I was fine with it because there was enough mention of the White Frost that it didn't just come out of nowhere. Still kinda fizzed out a bit after Kaer Morhen and Bald Mountain. Still a fantastic game though.

Ciri is the game's best story element and I think the ending would have been better (not that I didn't like it) if the big bads at the end were a little more expounded on. We don't get much on Eredrin beyond 'big bad elf king, whoa watch out' and the white frost gets the spotlight once while you're world-hopping with Avallach.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Please make an equivalent of arena mode where each "round" is a new avellach portal

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

i hate portals

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
I wish the sex was sexier. I've only seen the whores and Triss's lighthouse scenes but 16 hours of mocapped sex my rear end. Maybe my opinion will change when I see Yen's but overall, I'm disappointed.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I'm making a big list of all crafting components that actually get used for something. So far I have all the Viper, Cat, Griffen and Bear gear and I'm hoping to expand it to alchemy creations as well so there's a definitive list of what to keep lugging around and what to vendor: http://pastebin.com/cU2McqH1

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

dyzzy posted:

Oh and another nice detail to go on top of this: he bought the tower legitimately when it was on sale and he was screwed by the DRM because he wasn't the original owner :laugh:
Fuuuuuuuuck

Not bad. :lambert:

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
They should let you disassemble named mutagens to get lessers. I'd have a greater red by now if that was possible. As it stands I have a single regular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Finished at 88 hours. Maybe more if I can find somewhere to grind to get to level 35.

XP system is the worst thing about the game - the more you play, the more boring most combat becomes because you've outleveled everything. On the opposite end, the "you must be this level to ride" is really irritating. Either way, XP seems to be the biggest determiner in how the game plays, more so than player skill (though still important) or potion/bomb preparation.

Also Kaer Morhen was much better than the actual ending, but in fairness Kaer Morhen was incredibly awesome.

It is a good game.