Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

monkey skeleton?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hadaka Apron posted:

How the gently caress was Kill La Kill not on that list?

They're banning stuff for cultural reasons not because it's bad or has boobs or whatever.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Jostiband posted:

Well yeah, but a rewatch every few months is maybe a bit uhmmm?

Like, if it was something fun and bubbly I could understand being able to keep up with that kind of schedule.
But when i wake up from the post-EoE stupor my thoughts usually aren't along the lines of "that was great! let's do that again three months from now wheeee!"
I'm pretty sure I don't even like watching eva despite the fact that I somehow keep doing it every now and then and that kind of confuses me.

lmao i rewatch Lain once a month, if you like an anime you want to watch it

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Sakurazuka posted:

They're banning stuff for cultural reasons not because it's bad or has boobs or whatever.
Yeah but...

Davincie posted:

The only reason china bans shows is that they are more popular than their homegrown crap

Hadaka Apron posted:

How the gently caress was Kill La Kill not on that list?

Sucks to be China. At least the US produces quality TV like Game of Thrones that's more popular than KLK.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Twiddy posted:

Yeah but...

Sucks to be China. At least the US produces quality TV like Game of Thrones that's more popular than KLK.

Lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Chinese censorship is really bizarre and inconsistent so I wouldn't read too much into it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Twiddy posted:

Yeah but...

this post is insane

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Endorph posted:

this post is insane

They picked the one piece of popular U.S. media that's probably grosser than kill la kill lol

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

They picked the one piece of popular U.S. media that's probably grosser than kill la kill lol

like on klk the incest is just implied

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Endorph posted:

this post is insane
I found the sequence of posts funny.

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

Yeah I know, I picked the one thing. Complete accident and I'm insane for somehow hitting a nail on the head.

Like I know there's that one law about how parody can get too close to the real thing to be imperceptible but man.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

forbidden lesbian posted:

lmao i rewatch Lain once a month, if you like an anime you want to watch it

But i like eva I think! :smith:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i didn't make that up guys, china bans live action shows constantly because they are too popular.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Its basically a metroidvania

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umDr0mPuyQc

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Davincie posted:

i didn't make that up guys, china bans live action shows constantly because they are too popular.

they also ban movies that receive acclaim at international award ceremonies since the perception is that work wasn't Chinese enough bc foreigners enjoyed it, but also sometimes they don't.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Davincie posted:

Haha looking up to see if Game of Thrones is just fine apparently they censored that and banned The Big Bang Theory.

I have no clue what's going on over there.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Twiddy posted:

banned The Big Bang Theory.
maybe china isn't so bad after all

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

inconsistent banning policies... sounds familiar.....

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

dotJPG posted:

inconsistent banning policies... sounds familiar.....

Lol

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Endorph posted:

To be clear because somehow you misconstrued my post before, I'm not saying that The Big Bang is good at all, but somehow these metrics based on popularity or cultural problems don't entirely fit and it looks like poo poo just ends up mad inconsistent.

Which sounds about right if you have a somewhat arbitrary banning process.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I assume they banned Big Bang theory and then just launched some Chinese imitation

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
What must I do to be banned in China?

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

What is a Bund? Is it something strictly related to vampires?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Twiddy posted:

To be clear because somehow you misconstrued my post before, I'm not saying that The Big Bang is good at all, but somehow these metrics based on popularity or cultural problems don't entirely fit and it looks like poo poo just ends up mad inconsistent.
oh my god shut up

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

arisu posted:

What must I do to be banned in China?
you have to be popular so you shouldn't have to worry about being banned

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Twiddy posted:

Which sounds about right if you have a somewhat arbitrary banning process.

Big Bang Theory isn't that awful, there have been a lot worse sitcoms that made it to the #1 spot.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i am forums user twiddy, and my superpower... heh... is to drain the humor from any situation

*snaps fingers, all the bad words in FYAD are censored*

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Endorph posted:

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

China remembers the Devil May Cry anime?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yui likes putting stickers on stuff almost as much as my three year old niece.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Worst Girl posted:

China remembers the Devil May Cry anime?

Unfortunately so do I.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

quote:

China just banned a whole bunch of anime.

Afro Samurai

rude

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

You know I didn't actually take a real look at the list, did they seriously just ban Date a Live II and not the first one?

This list is so weird.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I would ban Fate/, because people would be mad

Which anime would you ban?

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Endorph posted:

oh my god shut up

Yeah but also for everyone else carrying on this dumb conversation.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Terper posted:

madoka magica

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Just Naruto.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Terper posted:

Your favourite one.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Terper posted:

Bleach and One Piece

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

littleorv posted:

Bleach and One Piece
do you want to give naruto that much power?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Your favourite one.

Chihayafuru? Messed up man

• Locked thread