Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Radbot posted:

Probably a result of the 42psi? I hardly ever ride this thing in a straight line since I rarely commute with it and prefer to take it up to Nederland/Georgetown/Bailey in Colorado.

Seriously, I'm hardly rayelin the gap but I do keep a brisk pace in the canyons.

Have you had them since new? Might just be a combination of profile and rubber compound. Also 42psi sounds borderline high, but if that's what it recommends I'm not going to question it.
Mine were already pretty squared when I got the bike and commuting really didn't help. But then I got some pilot road 2s and they never squared despite a few of years worth of commuting abuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Yep, had it since brand new, minus about 20 test ride miles. I honestly don't think the squaring is due to my riding, but I know everyone with a squared tire says that.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Asking here since the Chicago riding thread is dead - I'm moving to Chicago this next weekend and won't have covered/gated parking for my DRZ. How fast is it going to disappear?

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Well, it depends where you live; are you at Lake & Cicero?

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Ravenswood, but I've never kept a motorcycle on the street anywhere.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Is $650-700 what people would expect to pay for a valve clearance adjustment?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Seashell Salesman posted:

On a... ?

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Sorry, on a 2005 Ninja 250.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

gently caress no

edit: sorry, kneejerk reaction. Are you adverse to trying it yourself? Cause that's pretty insane. It's not even that hard to get to a ninja's valves. They're not even shim under bucket!

M42 fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jun 8, 2015

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

M42 posted:

gently caress no

edit: sorry, kneejerk reaction. Are you adverse to trying it yourself? Cause that's pretty insane. It's not even that hard to get to a ninja's valves. They're not even shim under bucket!

I already tried to do it myself and I thought that I did it right, but after riding about 20 miles something in the engine went weird and now I'm afraid I'm going to break the valves if I keep riding it. That's why I started investigating mechanics to do it, but considering how little I paid for my bike I really don't want to spend that much to fix up my mess here.

e: I guess worst case scenario if I totally hosed up and had to replace the whole bike it wouldn't be the end of the world, I'm just dreading having to scour CL again and then go talk to people and blah blah.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Start a thread, ask questions when you get to places where you're not sure what you're doing - you're probably fine.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

What exactly went wrong in the engine? Like, what did it feel like?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Radbot posted:

Probably a result of the 42psi? I hardly ever ride this thing in a straight line since I rarely commute with it and prefer to take it up to Nederland/Georgetown/Bailey in Colorado.

Seriously, I'm hardly rayelin the gap but I do keep a brisk pace in the canyons.

I think 42psi is a little steep but that's just me. On that bike I'd be running like 36/38.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Radbot posted:

On that note - is it weird that my front tire is wearing so fast? It's easily as worn as my rear and came new with the bike. I religiously keep my tires at 36/42, the recommended pressures.

Some bikes wear tires faster than others. Some riders wear tires faster. Some road surface... heck some tires just don't last very long. If you're talking about the off-center bias of the wear, that can be normal for a number of reasons.

6100 seems respectable enough for original tires though.

What is this "Rayelin" thing? Some Justified joke that goes over my head? I'm probably too old.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Z3n posted:

Start a thread, ask questions when you get to places where you're not sure what you're doing - you're probably fine.

Agreed. I'd like to hear the process because I will be doing the job myself on the 300.

I remember adjusting my scooters valves, identical to a sohc Honda btw. It clattered like a mofo until I realized that there are two tdcs. None of the guides I read mentioned it. Now that I know it's really easy.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

clutchpuck posted:

What is this "Rayelin" thing? Some Justified joke that goes over my head? I'm probably too old.

It's big in the Pitch Perfect community.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

M42 posted:

What exactly went wrong in the engine? Like, what did it feel like?

This morning I got on my bike and rode to work (about 30 minutes, but with more sitting in traffic), and about 400 yards from my office I took off from a stop sign and my engine started vibrating weirdly and making a funny sound. I got in and parked fine.

Here is my best description of how the engine is being weird:
- Acceleration feels kind of bursty/unstable.
- Rolling off the throttle all the way, the revs dip down really far below idle before sputtering back up. The engine almost stalls (with the clutch all the way in, or even in neutral).
- There is kind of an overtone to the normal engine sound, it sounds kind of like someone typing a word on a typewriter. It will go something like half second of no sound, half second of typewriter sound, half second of no sound, half second of typewriter sound, etc.

The engine felt good right after I adjusted the valves, I was sure that I had done it right. Is it possible that I didn't tighten something enough and they loosened over time? Am I going to do permanent damage to my valves if I ride home (about 12 miles) from work so I can attempt to check the valve clearances again?

[That's a copy+paste from a post I made at the ninjette forums earlier, figured I should ask them too.]

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

clutchpuck posted:

Some bikes wear tires faster than others. Some riders wear tires faster. Some road surface... heck some tires just don't last very long. If you're talking about the off-center bias of the wear, that can be normal for a number of reasons.

6100 seems respectable enough for original tires though.

True, it could be worse. Guess I was just concerned because this was among the very lowest tire replacement mileages reported on my model-specific forum.

Slavvy posted:

I think 42psi is a little steep but that's just me. On that bike I'd be running like 36/38.

42psi is per the manual, but I'm open to trying something different. Might give that a go on the next set.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

This morning I got on my bike and rode to work (about 30 minutes, but with more sitting in traffic), and about 400 yards from my office I took off from a stop sign and my engine started vibrating weirdly and making a funny sound. I got in and parked fine.

Here is my best description of how the engine is being weird:
- Acceleration feels kind of bursty/unstable.
- Rolling off the throttle all the way, the revs dip down really far below idle before sputtering back up. The engine almost stalls (with the clutch all the way in, or even in neutral).
- There is kind of an overtone to the normal engine sound, it sounds kind of like someone typing a word on a typewriter. It will go something like half second of no sound, half second of typewriter sound, half second of no sound, half second of typewriter sound, etc.

The engine felt good right after I adjusted the valves, I was sure that I had done it right. Is it possible that I didn't tighten something enough and they loosened over time? Am I going to do permanent damage to my valves if I ride home (about 12 miles) from work so I can attempt to check the valve clearances again?

[That's a copy+paste from a post I made at the ninjette forums earlier, figured I should ask them too.]

Did you loosen the timing chain tensioner at all? You may have forgotten to re-tension it and it skipped a tooth or something.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

HotCanadianChick posted:

Did you loosen the timing chain tensioner at all? You may have forgotten to re-tension it and it skipped a tooth or something.

Not deliberately, I don't even know how to. It's possible that I accidently did that somehow?

e: update: rode home very gingerly, but successfully. Spent the entire ride with my hand covering the clutch in case the engine seized.

Seashell Salesman fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jun 9, 2015

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

hand covering the clutch in case the engine seized.

Wait this isn't normal? :911:

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Only if it's a 250 owned by M42.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
If you can ride it home, it's almost certainly hasn't jumped a tooth or anything like that, right? It would do catastrophic damage way faster than that.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Dutymode posted:

If you can ride it home, it's almost certainly hasn't jumped a tooth or anything like that, right? It would do catastrophic damage way faster than that.

I'll have to wait until tonight to find out! Wife is driving me to work today.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Dutymode posted:

Ravenswood, but I've never kept a motorcycle on the street anywhere.

Well, all you can do is the same stuff everyone suggests. Non-branded (or Buell-Blast-branded) bike cover, alarmed disc lock, heavy chain to something immovable, etc. Ravenswood is pretty nice, for the most part, but it depends on like a million things. I'd offer you the use of my garage, but I'm up in Jeff Park which is like way oop norf.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

captainOrbital posted:

Well, all you can do is the same stuff everyone suggests. Non-branded (or Buell-Blast-branded) bike cover, alarmed disc lock, heavy chain to something immovable, etc. Ravenswood is pretty nice, for the most part, but it depends on like a million things. I'd offer you the use of my garage, but I'm up in Jeff Park which is like way oop norf.

AND COMPREHENSIVE INSURANCE IF YOU DON'T HAVE IT

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
Random Cali question, as I'm a recent transplant. Let's say there's three stopped lanes at a light, with the leftmost being a turn-only.

I can split between the middle and right lanes if I'm going straight. I can, presumably, split between the middle and left lanes if I'm going straight. Can I split between the middle and left lanes if I'm turning?

I can think of a few places where this would be safe and a few where it would be retarded, but I saw another cyclist do this and was curious about the legality.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

There's currently no restrictions on lane splitting, go hog wild!

Basically, do it in a safe and sane fashion and you should be fine.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Chichevache posted:

AND COMPREHENSIVE INSURANCE IF YOU DON'T HAVE IT

This.

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

Z3n posted:

I'm always a bit too wary to split when turning, I don't see it happen much and that means car-drivers don't see it happen much and might not be prepared for it. I know I can get out ahead of them but the less I startle the beasts the better. That being said if it looks like I won't make the first cycle of the light by hanging back then obviously I'm splitting up to the front. Obviously.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/mcy/5057246690.html

So what is it like to own a first gen Tuono? :allears:

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007

Z3n posted:

Nifty.

Same scenario as above, but now the light is red for the turn lane and green for the others. No cars in the middle lane. Can I just cheerfully ride by the 10 cars in the turn lane and legally stop to the right of the front car?

Technically this is the same thing as the first scenario, but safer, yet my heart says no.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

Crossposting from the SV thread:

Trauma Tank posted:

How often do you all change the oil in your SVs? I had it done by a shop in January and I've put on 1600-1700 miles since then so I thought it was time for an oil change. Now I've just done an internet search for what kind of oil to use and found this thread on SVRider: http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28135 in which they say that Suzuki recommends a 3500 mile oil change which seems on the high side to me.

And also, a couple questions regarding the SMC I'm going to test out on Saturday: what are common issues/problems with SMCs that I should ask about? I know I saw people talking about Loctite fixes and such in the supermoto thread, as well as certain engine-specific things that I only half remember.

Similarly, the new SMCs this place was selling had Akropovic exhausts on them. I don't know if this second hand one does, and again I remember the supermoto thread talking about supermotos not really getting much or being made actively worse by non-stock exhausts without extensive tuning, but I can't remember if that applied to the SMC or not. Would an Akro on an SMC be less than ideal?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

On a ninja 250, that's my price for an engine rebuild, bore +hone plus carb work.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

tranten posted:

I'm always a bit too wary to split when turning, I don't see it happen much and that means car-drivers don't see it happen much and might not be prepared for it. I know I can get out ahead of them but the less I startle the beasts the better. That being said if it looks like I won't make the first cycle of the light by hanging back then obviously I'm splitting up to the front. Obviously.

I usually won't filter up on a turn lane unless I can be safely inside the "box" next to the front car, or there's space to sneak in front of the car. Don't like being that exposed to moving traffic on one side.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

BlackMK4 posted:

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/mcy/5057246690.html

So what is it like to own a first gen Tuono? :allears:

I'm going to look at this tonight. :suicide:

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS

BlackMK4 posted:

My man

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

Good.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Trauma Tank posted:

Crossposting from the SV thread:

And also, a couple questions regarding the SMC I'm going to test out on Saturday: what are common issues/problems with SMCs that I should ask about? I know I saw people talking about Loctite fixes and such in the supermoto thread, as well as certain engine-specific things that I only half remember.

Similarly, the new SMCs this place was selling had Akropovic exhausts on them. I don't know if this second hand one does, and again I remember the supermoto thread talking about supermotos not really getting much or being made actively worse by non-stock exhausts without extensive tuning, but I can't remember if that applied to the SMC or not. Would an Akro on an SMC be less than ideal?

The more OEM the better for an SMC - there's an Akro map for them but oftentimes they don't take to it all that well. The cat is in the exhaust can so pulling that really changes the backpressure characteristics, tends to rob midrange for an indistinguishable amount of additional top end.

The only real known issue with the SMC is that the cam rockers flake occasionally - it's rare, but not unheard of. Besides that, they're rock solid unless you run them out of oil. A G2 throttle tamer will help with the aggressive throttle. Make sure it's not on the bad gas ignition map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
edit: Bought it. TOARK

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jun 10, 2015