Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Koesj posted:

I always thought they were supposed to be some kind of fake Libyan Air Force in that volleyball movie, not USSR.

Yeah, but you know they were meant to be *secretly* Soviet pilots. At least if I'm watching the same homoerotic movies as you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Capt. Morgan posted:

"An F-5N Tiger II, belonging to U.S. Marine Corps Fighter Training Squadron 401 (VMFT-401), approaches Marine Corps Air Station Yuma for a landing, flying over a busy 32nd Street in the process. The squardon, known as the "Snipers", is the only adversary squadron in the Marine Corps. Referred to as "aggressors," the squadron serves as the enemy in air-to-air combat situations"

Got to work out of the VMFT-401 DET 1 hangar down at MCAS Miramar last December, and holy moly, F-5N's are tiny, like supercub tiny, but they look like a blast to fly. The Agressor paint schemes were awesome too.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Dead Reckoning posted:

Sounds like the premise for an "In the Loop" style comedy. GRU agent plants the idea for VTOL to gently caress up Western fighters. A KGB agent brings it back after spying on a high level meeting. The design bureaus are unconvinced, but the fiery new Premier doesn't want to appear weak on defense and refuses to allow a VTOL gap.

Soviet Engineers analyzed the Shuttle when it was under development, and came to the conclusion that it was not a very good design. That didn't stop the military from insisting that engineers copy the design, least it have some sort of secret military advantage they couldn't see.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

655321 posted:

So after reading this thread, Udvar-Hazy seems like the place to go. I found myself stuck at Dulles last night because of the weather while on a layover going from Montreal to Phoenix. We have all day so I thought we'd check it out seeing as everyone loves it. Any tips/must-sees that aren't on the beaten path? We are pretty excited.

I was there a couple weeks ago. I would skip the tower unless you've got a hard on for ATC stuff.

Have fun! Tons of great stuff there. I can't wait to go back!

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

YF19pilot posted:

Yeah, but you know they were meant to be *secretly* Soviet pilots. At least if I'm watching the same homoerotic movies as you are.

The original script had them as North Koreans, then Yugoslavian, then vaguely Soviet.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Lou Takki posted:

I was there a couple weeks ago. I would skip the tower unless you've got a hard on for ATC stuff.

Have fun! Tons of great stuff there. I can't wait to go back!

Yeah, the tower is only interesting if they're landing planes from one specific direction on one specific runway (1R/19L from the south) -- it doesn't really have a good view of everything else unless you've got one hell of a zoom lens or some nice binoculars. I went up there at the end of my last trip and it was really just a few minutes of enjoying a nice sunny day and watching a line of 737s taxi and take off facing away from me.

UH can be done in a day so just start with what you're most interested in and move in a circle or something, I don't know. If you can, I'd like to see the current state of the restoration hangar. Always nice to see how things change over time in there, it's a cool process.

Mar 25, 2004

Thanks guys! I got plenty of pictures of the restoration hangar, and everything else too. It was awesome. Will upload when I return!

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Nebakenezzer posted:

Soviet Engineers analyzed the Shuttle when it was under development, and came to the conclusion that it was not a very good design.

And their conclusion is correct. Every time I look into the shuttle, I'm amazed it ever worked.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Nerobro posted:

Every time I look into the shuttle, I'm amazed it ever worked.

Did it?

I mean, getting people in and out of space with only a 1 in 67.5 chance of getting killed isn't exactly a lofty bar.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

bull3964 posted:

Did it?

I mean, getting people in and out of space with only a 1 in 67.5 chance of getting killed isn't exactly a lofty bar.

Apollo was 1 in 12 if you're counting it like that.

Well, 1 in 16 I guess really, Skylab and Apollo/Soyuz was the same hardware.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

ASTP and the manned part of Skylab were just Saturn 1B weren't they?

And the Saturn V uses would be 1 0 in 10 9, Apollo 1, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13?, 14, 15, 16 and 17.

You could count Apollo 4, 5 and 6 I guess, in a pinch, but they were unmanned, and that's where
you'd want to include the Saturn V used in Skylab SL-1.

If you DO want to include Saturn 1B launches, then there were a bunch more Apollo program launches manned and unmanned that would bring the success rate up pretty high.

e: Apollo 1 was only a Saturn 1B on the pad, so that doesn't count as a failure of the Saturn V either, and technically wasn't even a Saturn 1B failure, since both Apollo 1 and Apollo 13 were CSM failures, we can blame North American.

If we're being nitpicky, that is.

SybilVimes fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jun 9, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

hobbesmaster posted:

Well, sample size counts for something. Apollo 1 was also during the testing phase.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Crossposting from the TFR Cold War thread:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Party Plane Jones posted:

"Objects in Mirror May Appear...oh wait. poo poo."

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

The video that gif is from is better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DogRTw3cJNQ

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

There are not enough "nopes" in the entire world.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Party Plane Jones posted:

God drat that owns and I love the reverse angle where the cameraman had a nice expression of "HNNGH nope, wasn't ready for that!" when they snap to inverted. :v:

The Locator posted:

There are not enough "nopes" in the entire world.

I'm the exact opposite of this ^^^^ - all the YEP's!!! in the entire world and I need to figure out how to work my media connections/job to get either a backseat media ride (that'll never happen) or a media ride on Fat Albert when they come in for Sea Fair this year or next.
:hawksin:

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Duke Chin posted:

I'm the exact opposite of this ^^^^ - all the YEP's!!! in the entire world and I need to figure out how to work my media connections/job to get either a backseat media ride (that'll never happen) or a media ride on Fat Albert when they come in for Sea Fair this year or next.

I'd be all over the Fat Albert ride, but that upside down poo poo is for someone a lot younger than me.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
y'all are weenies. I'd take that ride / pay a reasonable amount of :homebrew: / be the mouth piece for the navy for the next year for that flight in an instant.

And if you're younger than 38½, The Locator, you're an extra huge wuss. :v:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Duke Chin posted:

And if you're younger than 38½, The Locator, you're an extra huge wuss. :v:

I'll be 50 in a couple months, and I'm not a huge fan of upside down stuff, never have been (the upside down rides at the amusement parks are not fun at all, even when I was a teenager and loved doing all kinds of stupid poo poo).

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Same guy, same ride: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-ZImEJWg6s

No g suit.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Louie CK held that together longer than I thought he would

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

The Locator posted:

I'll be 50 in a couple months, and I'm not a huge fan of upside down stuff, never have been (the upside down rides at the amusement parks are not fun at all, even when I was a teenager and loved doing all kinds of stupid poo poo).
Alright, you get a pass then. :cheers:

Stop it this is just making me want to do it even more and I know I'll never get the shot. t:mad:t

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

SeaborneClink posted:

Louie CK held that together longer than I thought he would

Ah damnit.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

You have to do that dumb grunting thing if you have a g suit too.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Dannywilson posted:

Got to work out of the VMFT-401 DET 1 hangar down at MCAS Miramar last December, and holy moly, F-5N's are tiny, like supercub tiny, but they look like a blast to fly. The Agressor paint schemes were awesome too.

Dusk was when WTI got really boring when I was TDY out there for a week.

Mar 25, 2004

The main attraction in the restoration hangar is that B-26. Totally awesome.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

bull3964 posted:

Did it?

Yes. I could make a very good argument for yes.

98.8% success rate... I won't say that's great, when you compare it to driving a car, but look at the competition:

Soyuz has flown 125 times I think. Soyuz 1 was a failure. Soyuz 11 was a failure. Both crews died. Soyuz 17 failed. Soyuz 28 blew up on the pad.

That puts Soyuz at 98.4% success rate, versus the shuttle at 98.8. If you are only counting failure to get home. If you count all the times you didn't get to space too? Well that puts you at 96.8%.

Nobody else has sent people to space enough to really get good statistics... Though I understand china's program is worse than playing craps.

Lets forget carrying men to space, of Proton launches in the last five years; Something like 48 launches and five failures. You've only got something like a 89% chance of your payload getting to space on a proton.

I'd say that it worked.
Going to space is hard. The shuttle was a complex machine.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

655321 posted:

The main attraction in the restoration hangar is that HO-229. Totally awesome.

FTFY

Mar 25, 2004

Yeah that thing is awesome. I just meant that they had signs talking about that B-26 and a lot of info on it. It just seemed like the thing they talked about most there.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Piloting that 229 looks like it would be really loud, and uncomfortably warm.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Ho-229 is a prototype fighter that probably only flew a handful of times, and is probably the only surviving experimental Nazi jet. It's cool and all, but...

...Flak Bait has over 200 combat missions over Europe, the record for a combat airframe during WWII.

...The JRS-1 in the backround was on the ground, stationed at Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941.

...The white triangle under the starboard wing of the JRS-1 is the Lippisch DM 1, an unpowered glider, designed for use as a powered Mach 6+ experiment into high speed aircraft.

...To the right of the DM 1 is the only surviving Nakajima Kikka, a Japanese jet fighter prototype.

...The long silver cylinder wrapped in plastic to the right of the Ho-229 fuselage is a legit Goddard P-series rocket.

The Ho-229 is almost the LEAST interesting thing in that room.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Whoa.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

655321 posted:

The main attraction in the restoration hangar is that B-26. Totally awesome.

out of curiosity...

People that restore and maintain aircraft for museums and such. Do they make a decent living at all? Because if they do...Is it basically volunteer work?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Tide posted:

out of curiosity...

People that restore and maintain aircraft for museums and such. Do they make a decent living at all? Because if they do...Is it basically volunteer work?

There might be a few paid jobs, but for the most part (at the Boeing restoration place anyway) it's volunteers.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kT7qrYi8R_M

:gizz:

Mar 25, 2004

Tide posted:

out of curiosity...

Not that I know much at all, but the impression I got was that there were a few pay jobs and lots of volunteer work.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Pod racing scene in the new Star Wars movie is shaping up nicely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

MrYenko posted:

...The white triangle under the starboard wing of the JRS-1 is the Lippisch DM 1, an unpowered glider, designed for use as a powered Mach 6+ experiment into high speed aircraft.

Which is perhaps more memorable in it's proposed form as a interceptor powered by a colander full of burning coal dust.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lippisch_P.13a