Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Gwaihir posted:

The 400 supports AD/Kerberos based single sign on!

(lolol j/k you'll never be able to use that based on your crazy 400 guy stories)

Curious, has anyone ever implemented this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
No, although I'd like to. Part of our 5250 based application needs access to the AS400's IFS from the user's workstation, which is accomplished by mapping ANY (guest/un-authed) connection to the IFS to a single 400 profile which has.. way too many permissions.

I think this calls for some experimenting on my test LPAR though.

Unfortunately in the end you still have to have a mapping table of AD accounts <-> 400 accounts if you need to do 1:1 relationships (Like for 5250 terminal use or something). If you just need application access or generic machine account type things it would probably be far less of a hassle. Still though, once it's done you only have to do that once, and then when you create a new user/delete a user.

e: drat, just looked at the date on the redbook for SSO and it came out in 2002 :stare:

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jun 9, 2015

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Migishu posted:

Send some my way as tribute to my patience

There are some white chocolate and green tea ones mixed in. I don't find green KitKats appealing.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Bob Morales posted:

10-character usernames because AS\400

Would really love for these fucks to be able to sign in with their email address instead.

If you assign everyone three-character user names and buy a two-character domain name, they could!

If you get a weird two-character TLD, you could give them four-letter user names!

(dibs on gently caress@bd.sm)

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Dick Trauma posted:

white chocolate and green tea ones
I will take them off your hands, green tea Kit Kats are the poo poo.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
When I first started my CJ career, we had a client that had a Windows 2000 upgraded to Windows2k3 domain. They had maybe 200 users. They also had some sort of weird serial bus that connected to an old POS inventory system that required running terminal to connect to it. But the weirdest thing was that several of the AD users had no password. You could just put in their username, and then hit enter and get in. They had on-premise Exchange 2003, and you were able to login to their webmail with no password either. A couple of the users had domain admin accounts, and I'd commonly use their users to do domain administration.

The users knew, and when I suggested resetting their passwords I was told not to. It was weird.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
poo poo pissing me off: Guy at our desk loves to hoard lockout tickets. I've told him "update it with all the information the Helpdesk needs to fix the issue themselves, then route it back", but nope, he wants to take care of all the precious little babies all by himself.

Over half the tickets we're investigating root causes for are assigned to him.

There are other tickets that need to be handled for fucks sake.

MJP posted:

I will take them off your hands, green tea Kit Kats are the poo poo.

Oh no you don't, I got there first!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I had one of those moments where I double checked something that is a vital part of getting a project completed on time just because I wasn't 100% sure the person handling it is fully aware of what they are doing. And then I got a response back saying they have checked and are happy that it won't be a problem. And then it's time to deploy and the exact issue I highlighted as having potential to gently caress things over occurs and it turns out the person I spoke to about it never bothered to check and is now impossible to get hold of?

Yeah, that's some poo poo that pisses me off. I don't really like throwing people under a bus but gently caress them if they think I'm just going to sit around and make it my problem.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jun 9, 2015

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Exchange is currently pissing me off.

Goddamn Exchange is always a street fight to get installed. Download this prerequisite. Download that prerequisite.

Then prep Active Directory. Oh wait, this was a lab that had Exchange on it previously. Google tells me to re-Prep AD with the previous version of Exchange that was installed (and then uninstalled) on it. How do I determine what Exchange was on it? Who knows!

It's been three hours of street fighting and I haven't even gotten through the AD portion.

gently caress you exchange.
gently caress you AD.
gently caress you Microsoft.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Just dive into the world of ADSI Edit :getin:

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Thanks Ants posted:

Just dive into the world of ADSI Edit :getin:

Oh yeah. Forgot to mention ADSI. Because really, what piece of server software DOESN'T involve hacking up your registry?

And now because My two new exchange servers will be in a different site than the domain master, I get to build a new VM just to run:

code:
Setup.exe /PrepareAD /OrganizationName:"<organization name>" /IAcceptExchangeServerLicenseTerms
Because I'd never want to build an exchange server in a different site than the domain master. Nope. Never.

Goddammit Microsoft.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jun 9, 2015

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Agrikk posted:

Oh yeah. Forgot to mention ADSI. Because really, what piece of server software DOESN'T involve hacking up your registry?

And now because My two new exchange servers will be in a different site than the domain master, I get to build a new VM just to run:

code:
Setup.exe /PrepareAD /OrganizationName:"<organization name>" /IAcceptExchangeServerLicenseTerms
Because I'd never want to build an exchange server in a different site than the domain master. Nope. Never.

Goddammit Microsoft.

"No one will ever need more than 640KB of RAM" - Bill Gates

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

RFC2324 posted:

"No one will ever need more than 640KB of RAM" - Bill Gates

Apparently not a real quote - http://www.computerworld.com/article/2534312/operating-systems/the--640k--quote-won-t-go-away----but-did-gates-really-say-it-.html

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Reads more like can't be proved either way, and Bill himself denies it.

:goonsay:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Company out in SD I am working for keeps trying to get me to move there on a 80k salary with 2 kids and a dog. After they sold me on a embedded Linux job and I have done nothing but web work and ticket work for the last three months, there is no way I am staying with the company, but I am going to try and string them along until August when the job in Michigan kicks in.

Hey companies: Don't hire people with a sales pitch that is almost the exact opposite of what you intend the employee to be doing.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
The whole point of it was not that it'd be enough forever, but that would be enough for an initial release. Which it was.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

If I say a "point to point link" what comes to mind? Maybe a DS3, or a T1, or another dedicated line that directly connects one router to another? Not an ethernet link?

Because my customer apparently uses point to point to describe metro ethernet, and I was too naive to clarify what they meant or something.

e: And yes I know there can be a point to point ethernet link. This is not what happened.

psydude fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jun 10, 2015

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

psydude posted:

If I say a "point to point link" what comes to mind? Maybe a DS3, or a T1, or another dedicated line that directly connects one router to another? Not an ethernet link?

Personally, I think of the giant drum-shaped antennas, and then site to site VPNs, but I'm willing to accept I'm weird for that.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Storysmith posted:

Personally, I think of the giant drum-shaped antennas, and then site to site VPNs, but I'm willing to accept I'm weird for that.

I thought of the same things, only on reverse order.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

psydude posted:

Because my customer apparently uses point to point to describe metro ethernet, and I was too naive to clarify what they meant or something.

e: And yes I know there can be a point to point ethernet link. This is not what happened.
When someone says point to point I don't make any assumptions about the actual link type. It should describe a dedicated link between two endpoints though, not two entry points into a network domain.

But if you're connected to a shared metro ethernet, a VPN connection over that could be a point to point link.

We just rent fiber and run ethernet and FC over it between our datacenters.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Some motherfucker just brought me a stapler to fix. A loving Swingline stapler.

The spring thingy came off the track.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Bob Morales posted:

Did you just throw it at him? I would have just thrown it at him.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Was it red?

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

If you fixed it, you just reinforced that bad behavior.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Inspector_666 posted:

Did you just throw it at him? I would have just thrown it at him.

would have printed out the ticket and stapled it to his forhead

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

ratbert90 posted:

Company out in SD I am working for keeps trying to get me to move there on a 80k salary with 2 kids and a dog. After they sold me on a embedded Linux job and I have done nothing but web work and ticket work for the last three months, there is no way I am staying with the company, but I am going to try and string them along until August when the job in Michigan kicks in.

Hey companies: Don't hire people with a sales pitch that is almost the exact opposite of what you intend the employee to be doing.

The cost of living in the Dakotas is waaaay lower than most of the country.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Manslaughter posted:

Once you experience a Winter here you'll see why no one wants to stay.

Smuggins
Mar 14, 2008

Blasphemy! Blasphoryou! Blasphoreveryone!
Fun Shoe
Ex IT worker here now in accounting/lurking. (No I really help IT, really, not the enemy AT ALL)
Green-Tea Kit Kat chat. *And not leading DT into the smuggling business*

If this chain is int he area you can get them without dealing with a terrible online re-seller shipping them without refrigeration.
http://www.rocketfizz.com/locations

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Manslaughter posted:

Ain't housing creeping up a lot though due to the whole oil thing, especially for North Dakota though?

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Tab8715 posted:

Once you experience a Winter here you'll see why no one wants to stay.

Oh christ, its not that bad. I'm from Manitoba, so further north than you guys, and ND gets it way easier than we did.
Now I'm NorthEast ontario - all the cold, 3x the snow, and WAY worse roads.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Nintendo Kid posted:

Ain't housing creeping up a lot though due to the whole oil thing, especially for North Dakota though?

The boom has subsided and that's only for the Western-Half of the State.

A decent house (3bd/2bath/2 car garage) modern appliances would probably go for 130-170k.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Siochain posted:

Oh christ, its not that bad. I'm from Manitoba, so further north than you guys, and ND gets it way easier than we did.
Now I'm NorthEast ontario - all the cold, 3x the snow, and WAY worse roads.

October through December the Dakotas become a miserable sunless plains with constant pissing from the sky. It'll hit 32f and the snow is nice but under it everything is covered in ice.

January through February consist of zero sunlight and a high of -10f but the wind makes it effectively -30f. The cold stops in March but then a foot of heavy wet snow is dumped and the constant flux of freezing and unfreezing puts ice everywhere.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Manslaughter posted:

San Diego :P

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Got a ticket instructing us to remove all access for a user immediately. User then calls up going "why is nothing working?!"

Apparently their bosses weren't going to break the news that they're being fired for another two hours. Not sure how they expected that all to work out or how I was supposed to deal with the inevitable emails/calls, which is of course erroneously assuming that their bosses even bothered considering that aspect of things.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Sheep posted:

Got a ticket instructing us to remove all access for a user immediately. User then calls up going "why is nothing working?!"

Apparently their bosses weren't going to break the news that they're being fired for another two hours. Not sure how they expected that all to work out or how I was supposed to deal with the inevitable emails/calls, which is of course erroneously assuming that their bosses even bothered considering that aspect of things.

"I am sorry, but it appears your boss and requested we disable all your access. Speak with your management for more info."

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Migishu posted:

Oh no you don't, I got there first!

Smuggins posted:

If this chain is int he area you can get them without dealing with a terrible online re-seller shipping them without refrigeration.
http://www.rocketfizz.com/locations

Oh well, I can just go to Mitsuwa and get them. Maybe tomorrow at lunch. Actually, they're in Jersey, and I think these guys also sell Leninade, which I have to buy because huge Cold War junkie.

poo poo that doesn't piss me off: being able to surgical-strike lunch at a Japanese supermarket

poo poo that does piss me off: gently caress SALESFORCE AND gently caress OUR SALES DIRECTOR WHO USES DIFFERENT TERMS FOR THINGS.

IT IS NOT "PROSPECTS," IT IS "LEADS."
IT IS NOT "COMPANIES," IT IS "ACCOUNTS."

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Sickening posted:

"I am sorry, but it appears your boss and requested we disable all your access. Speak with your management for more info."

Tell them to submit a ticket about their inability to access everything.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Office network went down so a million emails came in, IT what's up, IT what is happening, hello IT. Most were ignored, some got polite replies. One guy went all "this is affecting production" on it, time-sensitive etc etc, so we'll see if the network is fixed once he's done rebooting his computer and re-plugging his network cable like I told him.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes
poo poo pissing me off: Implementing the API for a product in heavy development. I spend half my time blocked and twiddling my thumbs, when I'm not blocked I'm context switching constantly because every 15 minutes after a build goes out I've found another blocking issue, and my boss won't give me any other more stable projects to work on in the meantime because this is THE HIGHEST PRIORITY and he doesn't want distractions.

I can't wait for this loving project to be done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

Bob Morales posted:

But but you're technically minded....

Yay you fixed it! You're an absolute genius! While you're at it, the loo's not flushing properly...