Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
I fixed upgraded it.

It's a student loaner laptop. I'll check who the last user was but I doubt anything will come of it, it looks like the people in charge of these laptops have been sitting on this broken one for months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
At my old place of employment we went over a year with all of our code on a single SSD in a single server sitting on a desk, because they didn't have a PC for me so I used that server to code on, we also didn't have any revisioning system; everything was master! Need to revision? cp -rf ~/projects/big_project /projects/big_project_${DATE}

Then I got a actual computer, and we upgraded the same server to a single 1Tb HDD and that SSD, and I moved everything to git.

Then we got RAID 1, still on that single server sitting on a desk.

Then we went full hog wild, and got TWO whole storage servers with hot swappable drives, which my boss then took offsite every night and backed up to his fire proof safe at home.

It's a wonder we didn't lose almost half a million dollars worth of code using a single SSD on a non-dedicated server. :allears:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

anthonypants posted:

Oh my god he left a voicemail too

http://tindeck.com/listen/xbbtk

gently caress. I just realized why angry email guy sounded so familiar.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hungry Computer posted:

I fixed upgraded it.

It's a student loaner laptop. I'll check who the last user was but I doubt anything will come of it, it looks like the people in charge of these laptops have been sitting on this broken one for months.

Yesssssss....

Did you actually attach the monitor to the laptop or did you just saw the screen off it?

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

OwlFancier posted:

Yesssssss....

Did you actually attach the monitor to the laptop or did you just saw the screen off it?

I set the laptop's monitor flat and set boxes on it to prop up the other monitor.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Good point, I guess it doesn't matter if you stand the monitor on the screen if it's, well, broken :v:

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:
"Hey, I did that thing you asked me to do. Please call me back and I'll tell you what happened."

Voice mail is close enough to clickbait: "Hey, I did that troubleshooting and you want believe what happened! Call me here for more info!"

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Bigass Moth posted:

Wow I bet it just stopped working through no fault of the user too!

I dunno it was working fine last night when I went to bed and when I woke up it was like that.

Why yes I have two kids ages 4 and 7 why do you ask? It wasn't them.

e: reminds me of the time I had a woman bring in a laptop in three plastic ziplock bags.

"My baby got to it"

Uh, by baby, do you mean a baby grizzly bear?

For fun, I took the damaged heatsink in the back and spent 10 minutes trying to bend it the way her "baby" bent it. I couldn't do it without tools.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jun 9, 2015

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Lightning Jim posted:

"Hey, I did that thing you asked me to do. Please call me back and I'll tell you what happened."

Voice mail is close enough to clickbait: "Hey, I did that troubleshooting and you want believe what happened! Call me here for more info!"

Sys Admins hate him!

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Spec bucket :gonk:

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

A user came in today with a smashed laptop screen. Said "well, I was thinking about lying and saying my kid did it, but I'll fess up. I did it."

My response was "That's good! Your kid doesn't work for us, your laptop is for YOUR use only!"

cue the 'deer in headlights' look.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

larchesdanrew posted:

offsitebackupsolution.jpg

Time to sell 'em on Crashplan + a full-tower PC running FreeNAS with a bunch of eSATA cards for future "expansion"

I haven't seen quotes/specs on Synology boxes but at this point you're better off just running 2k12R2 Storage Spaces as an archive server.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Nerdrock posted:

A user came in today with a smashed laptop screen. Said "well, I was thinking about lying and saying my kid did it, but I'll fess up. I did it."

My response was "That's good! Your kid doesn't work for us, your laptop is for YOUR use only!"

cue the 'deer in headlights' look.

Maybe their kid should work for you instead.

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

It sort of makes me laugh that when Salesforce or Gmail have an actual OUTAGE that people think I can do something about it other than, you know, wait.
Part of me wishes I was still dealing with in-house servers so I could actually fix this poo poo...
...the other part of me says "I will keep you posted" and then is happy to head back to SA to waste more time.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

metavisual posted:

It sort of makes me laugh that when Salesforce or Gmail have an actual OUTAGE that people think I can do something about it other than, you know, wait.
Part of me wishes I was still dealing with in-house servers so I could actually fix this poo poo...
...the other part of me says "I will keep you posted" and then is happy to head back to SA to waste more time.

I like when people tell me that I should change part of the UI in Windows or Office.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Inspector_666 posted:

I like when people tell me that I should change part of the UI in Windows or Office.
Tell them last time you tried that, we got The Ribbon.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

anthonypants posted:

Tell them last time you tried that, we got The Ribbon.

I created Clippy in a drunken night of horror and coding...

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

I was amused by someone telling me they don't like the cursor blinking behavior in Word. Love shutting that crap down, even if there's some insane way I could change it I'm so not going to bother because get the gently caress over it.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Also should I go out and get more alcohol tonight, I'm out and I haven't drank since Saturday.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Had a fun issue today with a client, I'll preface a little bit:

Last Monday their scan to email stopped working out of the blue on both Ricoh MFPs - they try to scan and send and it sits on "waiting..." then goes to "transmission failed" after about 2 minutes. Worked the week before with no issues, nothing changed on either printer, the server, or any machines. I look through all settings I can and can't find any rhyme or reason for the failures, so I get our network guys involved to test. Turns out their firewall (Cisco ASA) decided to up and start blocking all outgoing ports for mail, we can't reactivate them (gives some error message about not having rights/permissions), client is getting frustrated.

The kicker? The issue started Monday - client didn't notify me until Wednesday and is pretty concerned now. Networking tech worked with Cisco who ran through a battery of tests and traffic monitoring, most of which would randomly cause the ASA to reboot itself. No idea why it was happening, so he does a code update on the ASA, it doesn't fix the issue. We look at the CenturyLink modem/router combo, disable all firewall options, still won't send out to email at all. Network tech opens a TAC case with Cisco, they investigate and find out it's a bug in their code causing the problem, so it's sent to developers. No other solution is given since they're not sure which version of code started having the bug and can't recommend going back to a previous version.

I call the client yesterday to update her and she's IRATE. Network guy has a Cisco tech on the phone and wants to investigate more but we need the client's permission in case anything goes down again. She basically tells me "just get it done, I'm sick of the delays and bullshit, I just want it FIXED" and promptly hangs up on me.

This does not sit well with me. I understand pissed off clients and meeting their needs, but taking your anger out on me when I'm working my hardest to help out is like a slap in the face. It's already been a long day and this doesn't make it better.

I get the following email about 5 minutes later from said client:

quote:

Ozz,

Sorry for snapping at you, but I’m at my wits end that this is taking so long to figure out. Right now it is an inconvenience since not everyone has a folder set up and the general one you set up doesn’t seem to be working. So I am showing others how to use mine.

When things like this happen and it takes this long to fix I am asked to start looking at other IT companies. . . that is something I do not want to do.

The bolded is something I didn't know about until she sent the email, it's apparently been intermittent since yesterday - I set up scan to folder for 6 different users as a workaround so they could scan to a network drive, pull their file and email it that way.

So I lobbed this gem back at her - not my proudest moment, but at least felt good to get out:

quote:

I definitely understand the frustration and I feel the same way, when I worked with <network guy> last week he assured me they were sending data to Cisco to investigate so we could get a new ASA shipped out. I was caught off guard with the additional testing today as well and didn’t expect them to run us through so many steps to get a simple hardware RMA done.

Additionally, when issues like this come up, we really need to know about them as soon as they happen – part of our delay came from not knowing about the issue until almost 2 days after it started. Had I known on Monday or Tuesday, I could have had our Tier 3 team involved sooner and most likely avoided the lengthy delay we’ve experienced.

Blame me for an issue out of my control and snap at me when I work my rear end off to give you a workaround, then go above and beyond to keep helping? Not happening, and not only will I slap your poo poo down, I'll make you feel like a 1 inch tall rear end in a top hat for doing it, in the most professional way possible.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Nothing will get you on my infinite shitlist faster than blowing up about an issue that was never reported.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Inspector_666 posted:

Nothing will get you on my infinite shitlist faster than blowing up about an issue that was never reported.

Carve this poo poo into stone, for it will always be true.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Inspector_666 posted:

a-loving-men

#2 complaint: blaming me for stuff I can't do anything about.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

ConfusedUs posted:

a-loving-men

Addendum to #2: Blaming me for stuff that you broke.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I'm sure we colud come up with a 10 commandments of IT work. I can think of six off the top of my head.

Thou shall always make a ticket.
Thou shall understand your SLA.
Thou shalt not blame others for things you broke.
Thou shalt not place anger upon those who are trying to help.
Thou shalt not complain of delays of your own doing.
Thou shall understand a lack of planning on your part is not an emergency on others'.
Thou shall always get what you pay for.
Thou shalt not use RAID as backup.
Thou shall always hate printers.
Thou shalt not lie about what went wrong, when it went wrong, how it went wrong, how you've tried to fix it, or who made it go wrong in the first place.

ConfusedUs fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jun 9, 2015

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Thou shalt not ignore solid advice and get pissy when a cheap alternative causes endless problems

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

ConfusedUs posted:

I'm sure we colud come up with a 10 commandments of IT work. I can think of six off the top of my head.

Thou shall understand a lack of planning on your part is not an emergency on others'.

Raid is not backup
gently caress printers
(And their brethren, faxes)

(Not commandment form but no IT GIVENS is complete without them.)

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Perfect. Knew I was missing some low-hanging fruit.

Updated. The IT 10 commandments is complete.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

ConfusedUs posted:

a-loving-men

Hey, gotta blame someone besides yourself, right?
"I've had this issue for 6 months. I need you to FIX THIS RIGHT NOW I HAVE A MEETING TO GO TO IN 20 MINUTES".

And this is not even an exaggeration but a legit ticket...

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

ConfusedUs posted:

Perfect. Knew I was missing some low-hanging fruit.

Updated. The IT 10 commandments is complete.

I can only count nine :sweatdrop:

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

ConfusedUs posted:

Thou shall always get what you pay for.
Thou shalt not use RAID as backup.
Thou shall always hate printers.

Thou shalt not lie on what actually happened to your system (broken screen, example).

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Lightning Jim posted:

Thou shalt not lie on what actually happened to your system (broken screen, example).

And that makes ten.

Thanks Ants posted:

I can only count nine :sweatdrop:

Look man, I don't know what you're smoking but there's ten there now and there's always been ten there.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
Thou shalt not page out a high severity ticket with vague information then promptly disappear/ignore all attempts to contact you.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

TWBalls posted:

Thou shalt not page out a high severity ticket with vague information then promptly disappear/ignore all attempts to contact you.

Putting in a ticket and immediately vanishing and becoming totally unreachable is like User-101.

SORRY BOSS CANT WORK COMPUTERS BORKED AND THOSE DAMNED IT GUYS JUST HAVENT FIXED IT YET!!!!

J
Jun 10, 2001

Hungry Computer posted:

A ticket came in.

"Laptop screen stopped working, please fix if possible"

hahahaha nope

HOW MAY I PBBBBBBBBBBBBT

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

metavisual posted:

We had one of our insurance company clients that use an online web portal used nationwide that we have no control over. send in like 20 tickets today right at once "*WEBSITE* says it has downtime BRING IT BACK UP" it was fun trying to explain that no I don't have control over the entire internet from my magic box.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Inspector_666 posted:

The worst part? After that email, I got a response that was literally: "I didn't think it was an IT issue until it kept happening Tuesday."

What. The. gently caress. :psyduck:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Ozz81 posted:

Network tech opens a TAC case with Cisco, they investigate and find out it's a bug in their code causing the problem, so it's sent to developers. No other solution is given since they're not sure which version of code started having the bug and can't recommend going back to a previous version.

This is code for "we have no loving clue but still don't want to just RMA it" hth

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Inspector_666 posted:

Dealing with this with one of our largest clients atm.
Issue that we dealt with like 2 months ago, all good.
Except apparently not. Now throwing shitfits about said issue. Which actually isn't an issue, but a process/workflow misunderstanding of theirs which is leading to things LOOKING like issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Siochain posted:

Dealing with this with one of our largest clients atm.
Issue that we dealt with like 2 months ago, all good.
Except apparently not. Now throwing shitfits about said issue. Which actually isn't an issue, but a process/workflow misunderstanding of theirs which is leading to things LOOKING like issues.

You'll never get them to change their work flow.

• Locked thread