Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
The bike I just bought has Pilot Road 3's from early/mid 2012 on it, with good tread. The previous owner told me he believes the tires are too old and should be replaced, but I'm not convinced that they will need replacement immediately.

As long as the tread is decent and the tires aren't squared off, is running a tire from 2012 a bad idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
5 years is the manufacturer limit. Sounds like the PO just had ducatitis. I'd run them, they're fine unless part of his daily cleaning was wiping them down with carb cleaner.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
I have had a Pirelli Angel GT on the rear, ST on the front. The only reason I have mismatched tires is that Pirelli apparently discontinued the ST like 3 months after I bought the front. About 5-6k on them, still looking strong if not a bit squared from slabbing it for the vast majority of those miles. I have been super pleased with them but I never see them mentioned anywhere ever. Fantastic in the monsoon like weather we have had.

When I need new tires I was going to get a set of Angel GTs but I am considering the PR3s or 4s due to all the mentions here. Would they be that much of an improvement? The life is apparently twice as long as the Angels, doesn't that mean they are quite a bit harder? Angels are dual compound too. Whatever tires I get will be used for interstates and city travel 80% of the time, harder riding the rest of the time.

Next question is that I have the pressures set according to the manual for my Honda 919. 42 psi rear 36 front. I am about 160 lbs geared. Should I try lower pressures at all? What differences in wear and handling will result?

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I had a set of Angel GTs on my F800GT before I sold it. I weigh about as much as you do in gear. I ran the same pressures. I think I got about 10k miles out of the rear, the front was still doing okay at 12k (I think) when I sold it. When the rear AGT ran out, I ended up putting on a PR4. Now, I don't have the capabilities to do proper A/B testing but I felt like the AGT gave me a little bit more confidence in the corners. But I commuted on that bike and did a whole lot of touring. (I put 20k miles on that bike in about 14 months) The increased milage claims were what drove me to get the PR4. The PR4 was still plenty fun in the twisties, but I have a dedicated track bike for really getting serious.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
My ZRX had Angels on it.

I have never hated a set of tires as much as I hated those loving things. I had zero confidence in them, and gladly forked over the cash for PR4s.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Pilot sport 2s or Rosso Corsa 2s on my 300? I drive in temps 45-100*F, will always have 1" chicken strips, and don't hit the twisties too much (because there aren't any here). Longevity isn't too much of a concern, but 3000 miles is not workable, as I'd be replacing them three times a season.

I'm leaning towards the Michelins because they seem like a better all-around tire, but I've heard nothing but good things about the DR2s.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Pilot Road 4. If you only manage 3000mi out of a set of any tire on a 4 stroke 300 then you're doing something wrong.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

revmoo posted:

Pilot sport 2s or Rosso Corsa 2s on my 300? I drive in temps 45-100*F, will always have 1" chicken strips, and don't hit the twisties too much (because there aren't any here). Longevity isn't too much of a concern, but 3000 miles is not workable, as I'd be replacing them three times a season.

I'm leaning towards the Michelins because they seem like a better all-around tire, but I've heard nothing but good things about the DR2s.
I really like my Diablo Rosso 2 tires on my KTM RC390. (Diablo Corsa are the more track oriented ones). I've ridden them in 40 degree rain without issue and in the dry they're very sticky. Just a great tire for street riding a sport bike in most conditions. Not sure about the mileage though. Rear tire is dual compound with a high mileage wet grip enhanced compound in the middle and stickier stuff on the shoulders.

EDIT: Did some quick googling and the Rosso II last about 5-6000 miles for the rear and 8000 for the front.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 03:07 on May 25, 2015

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

revmoo posted:

I got Michelins (Street 2) on mine. They don't make a Road in our size, iirc. I love them, and have had them all through winter and spring and they've been absolutely great. I'd say about 8k miles on them and no visible wear other than the usual. The tread's still deep and I haven't had any issues.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Slight conundrum, I've been running a pair of Pilot Road 4s on my VFR for the last year or so, a couple months ago my rear ended up with a puncture, I patched it myself with a kit, and it held up fine and I checked the pressures regularly, however recently it barely holds air pressure for a day, i've inflated it and listened for any noticeable leaks but nothing is can't anything by hearing.

i'm planning on just replacing the rear tire, Another pilot Road 4 is around 184$ and a Pilot Power tire is around 127$, could I get away with just getting the sportier less expensive tire with a pilot road 4 front tire? I estimate both tires around 60% of tread life left and figured I could get away with a pilot power rear and by the time it's worn the front will be ready as well.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Usually people run the opposite - soft front, hard rear - but what you're asking will be fine too.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
How stupid would it be to put these on a Honda CTX700:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/28029/i/shinko-010-apex-radial-front-tire on the front,
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2194/i/michelin-pilot-power-2ct-rear-tire on the back (since Shinko rears aren't much less expensive)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Can you not afford the extra $20 for a PP front? If you do Bridgestone S20s the price will be the same for a set vs your Shinko/Michelin combo.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Radbot posted:

How stupid would it be to put these on a Honda CTX700:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/28029/i/shinko-010-apex-radial-front-tire on the front,
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2194/i/michelin-pilot-power-2ct-rear-tire on the back (since Shinko rears aren't much less expensive)

Why not get PR4s? That's what my dad ended up getting on his CTX and he's liking them so far.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I think he's on a tight budget, but that would probably be the best option if you don't consider cost.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

BlackMK4 posted:

Can you not afford the extra $20 for a PP front? If you do Bridgestone S20s the price will be the same for a set vs your Shinko/Michelin combo.

Good point, the Power isn't that much more, so I'll just ditch the Shinko. Would you prefer an S20 set, or the two Michelins (front Power, rear Road)?

Razzled posted:

Why not get PR4s? That's what my dad ended up getting on his CTX and he's liking them so far.

I guess I could spring for them if I really felt it was worth it - I wonder if it's worth it for such a mild bike, though.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
S20 will be about the same as the PP 2CT (4-5k for the rear).
A PP/Road combo will last much longer and perform the same to you. Personally, I'd run the PP/Road setup, but whatever works for your wallet.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

BlackMK4 posted:

S20 will be about the same as the PP 2CT (4-5k for the rear).
A PP/Road combo will last much longer and perform the same to you. Personally, I'd run the PP/Road setup, but whatever works for your wallet.

Appreciate the input, I'll likely take this path. Thanks.

SmokedSquid
Dec 20, 2009
Probably a good question for z3n or some of the other track day nerds... how do you tell if you've cooked your tires? I had my first supermoto day the other week which included a lot of hard accel/decel. I guess the standard response is "swap them out when you don't feel good about them any more" but I also had my first (3) asphalt crash(es) so my feeling good scale is out of whack.

The tire also has a weird wrinkle, like the skin of someone who spends too much time by the pool - see pic.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
That looks like good wear to me, but someone more knowledgeable will chime in. Good on you for being a badass about your getoffs.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Looks fine, the sandy appearance is what street tires look like when you start getting some heat into them.

SmokedSquid
Dec 20, 2009

Radbot posted:

That looks like good wear to me, but someone more knowledgeable will chime in. Good on you for being a badass about your getoffs.

Thanks! Someone there said 'you wont the award for most crashes' to which I replied 'I also won the award for most times gotten back up' and walked away like the king dickhead that I am.

BlackMK4 posted:

Looks fine, the sandy appearance is what street tires look like when you start getting some heat into them.

Cheers. Is there an easy way to tell if you've cooked your tires?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

There'll be graining around the edge I guess. You're talking about street riding right? Honestly, unless you're being a total idiot you'll never really cook them on the road.

These tyres were totally cooked, and still perfectly fine.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

SmokedSquid posted:

Cheers. Is there an easy way to tell if you've cooked your tires?

If you got them hot they will blue afterwards. Street tires look very different from race tires when they get hot - race tires shed their rubber faster. The debris buildup on the edge is not a good thing for the above tires.

'Cooked' tires is something you feel in the tire as you're riding and pushing them hard. Some riders can ride what a faster rider would call heat cycled out and never know the difference. Some fast guys will run the heat cycled out tires and be fine with them spinning up a lot.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jun 14, 2015

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
My new tires feel supper "tippy", and for some reason I can perceive the difference in direction of travel of the two wheels way more. If that makes any sense.

That's normal, right?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Radbot posted:

My new tires feel supper "tippy", and for some reason I can perceive the difference in direction of travel of the two wheels way more. If that makes any sense.

That's normal, right?

Yes, you were used to a squared off profile. You cannot compare tires back to back on the street unless your running identical bikes / setups / new tires.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Cool, got a nice 250mi planned for the weekend to break them in.

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

Okay dumb question. I have a DRZsm I just replaced the front tire with a Pilot power 3. Now I need to replace the rear and its tube. its squared off pretty bad and has a super slow leak. What should I replace the rear with that would be a decent match for the front since they don't make a Pilot power3 in 140/70R17 (at least I can't find one).

Low-Pass Filter
Aug 12, 2007
How much should I be looking to pay somebody for installation of tires? Or is it really easy enough to do yourself?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Low-Pass Filter posted:

How much should I be looking to pay somebody for installation of tires? Or is it really easy enough to do yourself?

$15-20/wheel off the bike.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

BlackMK4 posted:

$15-20/wheel off the bike.

That's really cheap. I can't find anywhere that will do it for under $25 in metro Denver.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Radbot posted:

That's really cheap. I can't find anywhere that will do it for under $25 in metro Denver.

I normally pay $15/wheel but when I had to have tires mounted on the Tuono RSV yesterday I went to a local shop that costs $20/wheel. They let me test ride an Tuono V4. Worth the extra $10.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

BlackMK4 posted:

I normally pay $15/wheel but when I had to have tires mounted on the Tuono RSV yesterday I went to a local shop that costs $20/wheel. They let me test ride an Tuono V4. Worth the extra $10.

$16,299 wheel mount.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

builds character posted:

$16,299 wheel mount.

If I wasn't poor, then yes. :(

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
We charge like 30 or 35.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

We charge like 30 or 35.

Everyone in Dallas is at least this or closer to 40 unless you're at a track day. Really incentivizes learning to change your own tires.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Gunbus posted:

Okay dumb question. I have a DRZsm I just replaced the front tire with a Pilot power 3. Now I need to replace the rear and its tube. its squared off pretty bad and has a super slow leak. What should I replace the rear with that would be a decent match for the front since they don't make a Pilot power3 in 140/70R17 (at least I can't find one).

There's a lot of spergery about what rear size to fit, but the one that will yield the best choices and the most natural fit is a 150 rear. If you go up to 160 you gotta check for rubbing on the swingarm/chain and poo poo, also you can't use the chain guard

Here's what I ordered:

Item# 822326
Pirelli Diablo Rosso II Rear Tires
Tire Size: 150/60ZR17 66W
1 $141.99 $141.99

Item# 817357
Pirelli Diablo Rosso II Front Tires
Tire Size: 120/70ZR17 58W
1 $118.99 $118.99

Based on the research I did at the time, the Rosso II rear should last 5-6k even under spirited riding conditions. They've held up in the corners while I'm being pretty aggressive so far, so no complaints overall.

edit: they're also great rain tires (hooray for pouring rain t-storms in summer)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I put Continental ContiSport sport touring tires on the Tuono for $150 for a set. Didn't expect a lot, but I'm liking them and would buy them again for a street ridden bike. I rode them at a trackday today - completely avoided trail braking and getting on the throttle hard with lean - I found that they had a shitload of squirm and could be overheated (you know it when it happens, no surprise) but they were predictable and very capable pace wise even on the Tuono - as long as you respected them. No more Q3 type rubber on a street bike for me again.

I was trying to stay with the control rider that pops up at 1:30 but stepping the pace up a little didn't feel very good. By 2:22 the front end just pushed and I couldn't even make it to the inside of the corner (turn 10). Turn 1 just sucked for me because I trail brake into it and get on the throttle early normally. Wasn't even going to try that on the Tuono.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZ5hnwh0TmQ

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jul 12, 2015

M42
Nov 12, 2012

My rear tire has good tread but is 5 years old and feels pretty hard. Probably best to replace it before my first track day later this year, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Yeah it'd be a good idea. Just pick up a fresh set all around, honestly - will help with confidence and is cheap insurance.

• Locked thread