Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

If you ever want to see the elimination of critical thinking in education taken to its logical conclusion, go check out Prester John's thread about authoritarians. It's... uh, a thing, I'll give it that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I refuse to watch it, but the sense i got was that the girls got the same PR script their parents did and offered nothing new, and they are obviously less straightforward to cover than the parents who had actually done wrong. On top of that people saw it coming a mile away and had already covered the expected responses in the first interview article.

Yeah, that's what I figured.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Morroque posted:

This might be a tangent but, what would our generation's rightward shift even look like? The current orthodoxy in both social conservatism and even economic conservatism or neoliberalism has me with very serious reservations at best and outright repulsion at worst. I just can't go there, not without completely tossing my ethics and virtues. I'm left struggling to understand where the impulse for it even comes from.

I'm not doubting that we'll become more set in our ways when we're older, but I'm just wondering what form it could possibly take because it is clearly not this. The best I can think of might be difficulties adapting to environmental mandates, but that would require actual social and political progression in the first place, which we practically have none of.

Short term I think..it's going to be very difficult to for our generation to go right as a result of us having to kind of experience the lack of opportunities and prosperity that our parents did.

A lot of "Young Republicans" that could have been are not in existence because they got stuck in extra lovely situations coming out of school. Plus let's face it...I think the Tea Party has without a doubt scared any potential "young professionals" from ever being interested in that side of the aisle for a long time.

I don't think that racism and "red scare" is appealing to those people as well.

i do agree that long term though you'll see a brand of "Starbucks" conservatism, but we're still a few decades away from that.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

FuzzySkinner posted:

i do agree that long term though you'll see a brand of "Starbucks" conservatism, but we're still a few decades away from that.

In the South, maybe.

It already exists in most urban centers.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Chantilly Say posted:

Take the mistake, own it, and make people talk about your reaction to it, and you move one step ahead of critics. It won't work for everything but the double-down or the "nuh-uh!" reaction doesn't work for anything.

It works for the right all the time. See: Duck Dynasty, 19 and Counting, Rush, Huckabee, Palin, Ted Nugent, the dumb anti-gay pizza place, etc, etc.

Speaking of that, what's the spin lately on Dennis Hastert and all of that poo poo?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I think rightward swings in millenials mostly manifests as libertarianism and the MRA crowd, not religious conservatism outside certain areas.

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

Radish posted:

Surprise more armed men INTIMIDATED by smaller, unarmed people.

Why are so many cops such wimps, anyway?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Morroque posted:

I'm not doubting that we'll become more set in our ways when we're older, but I'm just wondering what form it could possibly take....

Theocracy and Authoritarianism.

Hitler B. Natural
Feb 11, 2014

Popular Thug Drink posted:

cleese was easily the most inept and talentless python
2edgy4me

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

BiggerBoat posted:

Speaking of that, what's the spin lately on Dennis Hastert and all of that poo poo?
"Dennis who? Never heard of him.'

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Cythereal posted:

I think rightward swings in millenials mostly manifests as libertarianism and the MRA crowd, not religious conservatism outside certain areas.

Yes, exactly this. A good chunk of millennial progressiveness is focused on social issues.

It makes sense that rightward-swinging millennials are focused on social issues too, instead of religious belief. For example, MRAs/manosphere/gamergate types focus on social issues mostly related to gender.

I think what we're going to see is an increase in race and gender based political division. It's already happening in some southern states where most, if not all, of the democrats in office are black. This allows conservatives to exploit racism and dismantle voting rights for minorities: http://www.newrepublic.com/article/119019/civil-rights-movement-going-reverse-alabama

Trends seem to suggest that white millenials, especially men, will still have a conservative streak. Women and PoC will be much more liberal: http://boingboing.net/2012/11/11/what-the-election-map-would-ha.html

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Bullfrog posted:

Trends seem to suggest that white millenials, especially men, will still have a conservative streak. Women and PoC will be much more liberal: http://boingboing.net/2012/11/11/what-the-election-map-would-ha.html
The key thing is that the new cohort (Millenials) are a lot less white than GenX or Boomers, so the generation is overall tilting hard towards the liberal side of the aisle.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

FMguru posted:

The key thing is that the new cohort (Millenials) are a lot less white than GenX or Boomers, so the generation is overall tilting hard towards the liberal side of the aisle.

newsflash: non-white people are more religious, less educated, and much more intolerant of homosexuality than white people. They won't be leaving the Republican party, they will be leading it.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Smoothrich posted:

newsflash: non-white people are more religious, less educated, and much more intolerant of homosexuality than white people. They won't be leaving the Republican party, they will be leading it.

Maybe in a few decades, but the thought of nonwhites anywhere near the top of the GOP leadership outside of the token "black friend" or whatever in the short term is completely ridiculous.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Smoothrich posted:

The older generation. Not the younger generation. And less likely, even if they are 'intolerant', to want this in law. For example, Asians, who are very culturally conservative, vote overwhelmingly for Democrats. Republicans who want to be taken seriously should really, really reflect on that.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I could see the GOP pushing hard for Asian outreach in the near future to try to bring them into the shrinking pool of people arbitrarily defined as "white." Mainly because they're pretty much all that's left; the GOP has gone super anti-Hispanic over the past couple of decades and black people are just a complete nonstarter.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Smoothrich posted:

i know this is mr. "corruption in new jersey is linked to the fall of the roman empire", but as an actual nonwhite millennial,

:laffo: just :laffo:

Hispanic Millennials are less religious than older U.S. Hispanics

I'm sure someone else could find Pew's survey on how Latinos skew more liberal than white people on average

Obdicut posted:

The older generation. Not the younger generation. And less likely, even if they are 'intolerant', to want this in law. For example, Asians, who are very culturally conservative, vote overwhelmingly for Democrats. Republicans who want to be taken seriously should really, really reflect on that.

I don't believe we're all that culturally conservative; my generation especially is pretty socially liberal and we're more likely to support, say, affirmative action than your average white person. Not to mention, the whole "Asians work hard and go to school and make it! Why won't they vote for us?!?" rings hollow when Republicans castigate the educated as possibly traitorous, definitely out of touch ivory tower eggheads.

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jun 9, 2015

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Obdicut posted:

I wonder how many decades of damage control it's going to take before Muslims vote R again in any significant numbers.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Knight posted:

I wonder how many decades of damage control it's going to take before Muslims vote R again in any significant numbers.

Even if 9/11 had happened before recorded history, I'd still give it long odds on less than a century.

9/11 Never Forget™ :911:

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I think minority communities are more likely to vote Democrat because, while they may disagree on social policy, they agree with the fiscal and environmental policies of the party. On the other hand, Republican backers will support candidates with terrible fiscal and economic policies just because of things like "pro life" and "traditional marriage". It's like an all or nothing approach with candidates. That's why people fling around RINO so much.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Knight posted:

They have to actually stop hating Muslims first, before they can do any damage control.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Gonna be hard when you declare war on a concept, rather than a nation that can give surrender and begin a reconciliation (Germany, Japan, etc.).

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The GOP's relations with minority communities are, I think, going to be mostly dependent on how many minorities decide to look past the GOP's emphasis on the wealthy elderly white Christian male as their ideal voter because one of those adjectives by itself matters more to them. The positive reaction of young Cuban-Americans towards normalizing relations with Cuba is a bad sign for the GOP with regards to that bloc.

However, I think we're going to see a steady increase in the GOP's "If you're not voting Republican you shouldn't be voting at all" strategy, especially in the South. Florida's already had a taste of that during our last governor's election when the state supreme court officially didn't give a gently caress about organized voter suppression efforts in Hispanic-majority areas, and I think it's only going to get worse.

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012

Deep Hurting posted:

Why are so many cops such wimps, anyway?

Im still trying to make sense of that angry cop's shoulder roll.

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

crusader_complex posted:

Im still trying to make sense of that angry cop's shoulder roll.

Oh, that's easy. Just like that cop in Cleveland who leapt onto the hood of that car and fired repeatedly through the windshield at two unarmed black people, he thought he was the star of his own action movie.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Smoothrich posted:

Tea partiers are more educated than the general populace.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Deep Hurting posted:

Oh, that's easy. Just like that cop in Cleveland who leapt onto the hood of that car and fired repeatedly through the windshield at two unarmed black people, he thought he was the star of his own action movie.
Looked to me like tripped over his own feet and then tried to I-meant-to-do-that by dropping into a barrel roll.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Smoothrich posted:

This is one of the silliest posts I have ever seen, it's just flat out wrong on its face and the entire premise that opposition to homosexuality is going to continue to be a major political issue in the future when nonwhites are a majority is also silly and wrong.

EDIT: Also Hispanics are increasingly solidly liberal on economic issues.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jun 9, 2015

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

FMguru posted:

Looked to me like tripped over his own feet and then tried to I-meant-to-do-that by dropping into a barrel roll.

Our theories are not mutually incompatible, you know.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Job Truniht posted:

I'm saying the future of this world is Starbucks- not communism. Global capitalists won't die because of ethics, they'll just repackage it and sell it. Essentially future conservatism will be this mass circle jerk of people trying to feel good about themselves by donating to charities or buying from "ethical" or "environmentally friendly" companies, but always avoid the hypocrisy they are actively participating in.

Yeah but centrist liberalism is still a big step up from Reaganite conservatism. This is the same dumb "everything to the right of Full Communism may as well be Nazis" poo poo people have pushed forever

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Since you guys were talking about it earlier, the cop videotaped at the pool party quit.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Cythereal posted:

Yeah but libertarianism lacks the identity politics draw that Reaganism has among Boomers to get people to vote against their economic interests, and most people aren't gross shutin nerds and so won't be attracted to MRA style stuff

I don't think there's going to be a rightward shift per se, just an entrenchment of third way centrism in the political space left by Reaganites, and a failure by the left to gain ground. But again that's still an improvement, so I'll take it

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Smoothrich posted:

Which is more likely:

The Republican Party stop promoting ideas and activities that are bigoted against such groups and thus taking them in

-or-

Those groups becoming more liberal?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Taerkar posted:

Which is more likely:

The Republican Party stop promoting ideas and activities that are bigoted against such groups and thus taking them in

-or-

Those groups becoming more liberal?

No, don't you see Ben Carson is the future!!!

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I don't see any way for the foreseeable future that the GOP disentangles its fiscal policies from racial baggage, they've gone too hard down the "blacks and Hispanics are all moochers and illegal immigrants" path to fix quickly, even if they started right now. Race is so integrated into so many levels of their policies, from welfare to healthcare to police brutality (because now "acknowledging that videotaped police brutality actually happened" is a partisan issue). Their whole argument with so many of those issues is that it's all the fault of the minorities.

Cythereal posted:

The GOP's relations with minority communities are, I think, going to be mostly dependent on how many minorities decide to look past the GOP's emphasis on the wealthy elderly white Christian male as their ideal voter because one of those adjectives by itself matters more to them. The positive reaction of young Cuban-Americans towards normalizing relations with Cuba is a bad sign for the GOP with regards to that bloc.

However, I think we're going to see a steady increase in the GOP's "If you're not voting Republican you shouldn't be voting at all" strategy, especially in the South. Florida's already had a taste of that during our last governor's election when the state supreme court officially didn't give a gently caress about organized voter suppression efforts in Hispanic-majority areas, and I think it's only going to get worse.

I think this is right, the GOP version of "minority outreach" is going to be pushing the narrative that any democrat votes by minorities are actually voter fraud, so we need to restrict voting in very specific ways.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jun 10, 2015

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

icantfindaname posted:

Yeah but centrist liberalism is still a big step up from Reaganite conservatism. This is the same dumb "everything to the right of Full Communism may as well be Nazis" poo poo people have pushed forever

The moral majority stuff could eventually settle in "State's Rights" compromises - states crosshonoring all marriage licenses (with churches having discretion for ceremonies) and abortion being de facto or de jure banned by state.

The lasting legacy of Thatcher/Reagan conservatism is the ideological lens through which everything is a market and a transaction. ACA was less about taxes and entitlements (despite GOP rhetoric) and more about providing a market that allows individuals to get healthcare independent of employment. On the farcical side you have the concept of carbon cap & trade schemes - instead of policies that directly shift from fossil fuels to nuclear/solar. Having the internet as a market-facilitator is a positive step to a higher ideal than markets - new systems of organization where individuals are like cells in a body - every effort coordinated toward maximum utility for all.

Mc Do Well fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jun 10, 2015

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

In the last week Fox News has defended a white man who as a teenager molested five girls, four of which were sisters and then immediately condemn a bunch of similar aged kids for forcing the police to attack them. It's pretty clear that the GOP is doubling down on appealing to racists.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Good lord Mark Levin was going for the gold medal in dogwhistle racism today. He said the officer drew his gun because two, and I quote, "Hulking brutes" were closing in on him. You could hear through the radio that he really wanted to say "giant buck n------".

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
The "hulking brutes" were like 14 years old, I thought conservatives were supposed to be manly tough guys, not terrified of children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

I got the impression from the video that those boys were trying to lure the officer away from the girl in order to help her. "Hey Officer Dipshit, over here! Look, I'm a crazy colored boy, come get me!".