Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haught
Jan 18, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Ed's Arch by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

In The Fog by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Silver Star Mountain by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

Sick

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
CNV00002822080023.jpg by Geektox, on Flickr

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.

365 Nog Hogger posted:

I didn't, because I was inside a car. :spergin:

Thanks! Looks like it got explored too, which is a first for me.

Congrats on explore

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Super Mix by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

deaders posted:

Congrats on explore

Your img links are broken.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

catching up on the thread and while there has been a lot of good stuff this is killer

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Straight foiyr 🔥

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

365 Nog Hogger posted:

Thanks! Looks like it got explored too, which is a first for me.

Awesome, congrats! It pleases me when Good Art somehow manages to slip through. I hadn't ever clicked Explore until just now, and uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I guess I'm following all of the right people 'cause that's a side of Flickr that I never see.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

MrBlandAverage posted:

Super Mix by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Your img links are broken.

:eyepop:

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Wow. Some killer stuff lately.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

gently caress you.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

LargeHadron posted:

Awesome, congrats! It pleases me when Good Art somehow manages to slip through. I hadn't ever clicked Explore until just now, and uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I guess I'm following all of the right people 'cause that's a side of Flickr that I never see.

How dare other people enjoy different photographs than I do.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

Cerekk posted:

don't do this.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Cerekk posted:

Don't be an idiot.

Tony Two Bapes
Mar 30, 2009

Cerekk posted:

check out my dope 3D model

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Cerekk posted:

This post is mediocre, like 99% of photos on Flickr Explore.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

You can't criticize art, someone might enjoy it

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ansel autisms posted:

You can't criticize art, someone might enjoy it

maaaaaaaaan

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I had no idea there was more than one Super Mix, we drive by one when taking I-39 north and I always bug my wife about stopping and getting some SUPER MIX.

A mix of what? No one knows, but it must be super.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

xzzy posted:

I had no idea there was more than one Super Mix, we drive by one when taking I-39 north and I always bug my wife about stopping and getting some SUPER MIX.

A mix of what? No one knows, but it must be super.

It's concrete, which is a mix of water, aggregates, and cement :)

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
If you literally can't find anything that you like out of the 200 photos/day on Explore I don't know what to tell you. The whole point is to show a bunch of diverse stuff so that no matter what kind of stuff you like, there's something or someone for you to discover and follow and then see more stuff that you like. Holding yourself up as the Arbiter of Good Art and categorically denouncing all of Explore is just pretentious. The only thing that all Explore photos have in common are that they're posted on Flickr (much like most of the photos in this thread).

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Cerekk posted:

If you literally can't find anything that you like out of the 200 photos/day on Explore I don't know what to tell you. The whole point is to show a bunch of diverse stuff so that no matter what kind of stuff you like, there's something or someone for you to discover and follow and then see more stuff that you like. Holding yourself up as the Arbiter of Good Art and categorically denouncing all of Explore is just pretentious. The only thing that all Explore photos have in common are that they're posted on Flickr (much like most of the photos in this thread).

Where did LargeHadron say that it's entirely garbage? If he liked 365 Hog Nogger's photo, and that photo was in Explore, then logically there's at least something he likes in there, and it stands to reason that there will be photos of a similar taste in there also. But having to wade through 200 instances of this:

Lisbon Trams by Andy Gant, on Flickr

this:

Superman by Alexandr Tikki, on Flickr

and this:

It's not white. Well, "Almost". by Honora MTran, on Flickr

to find the diamonds in the rough is entirely not worth the effort when instead you can just follow cool people you like and looking at your feed instead. No one is saying that all of Explore is garbage, just most of it.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Geektox posted:

just follow cool people you like

That's what I do. I also look at the photos they favorite and find new people.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Cerekk posted:

Wow, touchy, aren't you? I don't recall anybody saying any of the stuff in your straw man.

It's pretty clear that you didn't know this, but photos on Explore are on there because of the number and speed of the faves and comments they get. That's why GOLD STAR FAV 5 COMMENT 1 groups are a thing that people use to get their terrible photos into Explore.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I just went to Explore for the first time and liked a lot of what I was shown :aaa:. I'll show myself out.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Cerekk posted:

In the end, who the gently caress cares about explore? Just find poo poo you like and enjoy it. Maybe you just like more glitter awards.

This should be your avatar.....

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
Maybe Cerekk would feel better after a free hug (explore #208)!! :shobon:

Free hugs by Jamie McCaffrey, on Flickr

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

Cerekk posted:

Is it pretentious though to hold 365 Nog Hogger up as the Arbiter of Good Art? He is, consider, the Official Dorkroom Mod-Approved Arbiter Of What Is And Is Not Art, 2014*. I like to think I was just channeling him by calling Explore crappy.

*Oh poo poo this title has expired so maybe it was a bad move on my part

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

MrBlandAverage posted:

Wow, touchy, aren't you? I don't recall anybody saying any of the stuff in your straw man.

It's pretty clear that you didn't know this, but photos on Explore are on there because of the number and speed of the faves and comments they get. That's why GOLD STAR FAV 5 COMMENT 1 groups are a thing that people use to get their terrible photos into Explore.

I do know how photos get on Explore (and those types of groups significantly, and all groups in general somewhat penalize the chance to get on Explore BTW, that's why the vast majority of Explored photos are in no groups at all). I also acknowledge that there's probably more tone-mapped sunsets on there than any one person needs to see. But I like some of it, and I find a lot of people to follow by sifting through Explore for stuff I like. There's a lot on there that I don't like too, some because it's legitimately bad, and some just because it's not my style.

I was mostly annoyed by the original phrasing. 'I like it when "Good Art" sneaks through' (as though there's no merit to any of the stuff that I, personally, don't care for). Maybe that wasn't the intended meaning, but it sure seemed like it to me.

Honestly a lot of my 'touchiness' is driven by the fact that when I first considered getting into photography as a hobby, I was turned off by the openly hostile attitude some people in this subforum had towards newbie photographers. I couldn't tell you any more which threads or which people, but it was significant enough to make me not want to associate with the hobby if that was the sort of people that participated in it. Anyway, I got over that, and I'm taking pictures now, but I bought my gear about two years later than I would have if the first place I'd gone had been /r/photography instead of The Dorkroom. For 99.99% of us, it doesn't really matter what our pictures look like as long as we are enjoying ourselves while we're participating in the hobby, so I'd rather give pictures that I don't care for the benefit of the doubt.

Cerekk fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jun 10, 2015

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Cerekk posted:

Honestly a lot of my 'touchiness' is driven by the fact that when I first considered getting into photography as a hobby, I was turned off by the openly hostile attitude some people in this subforum had towards newbie photographers.

I'm sorry that the actual critique we've become accustomed to giving here bothers you. Perhaps this isn't the place for you after all - this is a place for people who actually want to learn how to improve.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Hey Cirekk, what do you think about 365's avatar?

Did he (365) toxx himself to only post constructive comments for 2015 or was that 2014?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

MrBlandAverage posted:

Maybe Cerekk would feel better after a free hug (explore #208)!! :shobon:

Free hugs by Jamie McCaffrey, on Flickr

I like the bus driver taking a cell pic.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

bobmarleysghost posted:

Did he (365) toxx himself to only post constructive comments for 2015 or was that 2014?

I somehow missed all of that but I have noticed him being less abrasive than he used to be. What thread did this happen in?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Cerekk posted:

Honestly a lot of my 'touchiness' is driven by the fact that when I first considered getting into photography as a hobby, I was turned off by the openly hostile attitude some people in this subforum had towards newbie photographers. I couldn't tell you any more which threads or which people, but it was significant enough to make me not want to associate with the hobby if that was the sort of people that participated in it. Anyway, I got over that, and I'm taking pictures now, but I bought my gear about two years later than I would have if the first place I'd gone had been /r/photography instead of The Dorkroom. For 99.99% of us, it doesn't really matter what our pictures look like as long as we are enjoying ourselves while we're participating in the hobby, so I'd rather give pictures that I don't care for the benefit of the doubt.

Maybe you should consider staying in /r/photography if you're unable to handle critical posting about something other than a user's lens choice

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Cerekk posted:

Honestly a lot of my 'touchiness' is driven by the fact that when I first considered getting into photography as a hobby, I was turned off by the openly hostile attitude some people in this subforum had towards newbie photographers.

I'm better for it.

Having your ego hurt is a good thing.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I've had a few shots get explored recently, the way I found out was by some guy inviting me to his explored group, and then the avalanche of likes and "nice shot" comments.

A huge amount of people just scroll through explore just clicking the fav star and don't even bother looking through any other of your shots.

Also, the dorkroom is the place to be if you want to find out why your shots are terrible and how to do better next time. And most often a nicer lens won't fix it.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Not explored! But I did explore this library, literally.

Biblioteca Angelica by alkanphel, on Flickr

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

alkanphel posted:

Not explored! But I did explore this library, literally.

Biblioteca Angelica by alkanphel, on Flickr

the horizon is making me dizzy and I can't figure out why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

Cerekk posted:

I was mostly annoyed by the original phrasing. 'I like it when "Good Art" sneaks through' (as though there's no merit to any of the stuff that I, personally, don't care for). Maybe that wasn't the intended meaning, but it sure seemed like it to me.

Maybe I shouldn't have been so flippant in my language, but I think you will benefit as an artist once you accept that art critique is more complex than asking "does this appeal to me or not?" I mean that constructively, really. If you do already accept that, then I apologize for assuming you didn't.

I recognize that these forums can often feel like a boys' club, but I can say with certainty though that when people fawn over ansel's or Mr. Bland's motels and gas stations, they aren't doing so inauthentically nor because it's just something that happens to appeal to them. I hope that you keep it up and don't get too discouraged. The worlds needs more artists, not fewer.