Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
I'm looking for a pair of wireless headphones that can do an OK job of blocking out the noise from a treadmill. I'll be using them in my basement so I don't care how goofy they look, but I want to avoid in-ear headphones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

THF13 posted:

I'm looking for a pair of wireless headphones that can do an OK job of blocking out the noise from a treadmill. I'll be using them in my basement so I don't care how goofy they look, but I want to avoid in-ear headphones.

If you aren't getting in ear headphones then whatever material of the headphones going over your ears are going to get incredibly nasty. Unless of course, you don't sweat at all.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Etrips posted:

If you aren't getting in ear headphones then whatever material of the headphones going over your ears are going to get incredibly nasty. Unless of course, you don't sweat at all.

This is a good point that I didn't really think through, thanks. Probably will just order wirecutter's recommendation for bluetooth exercise headphones then.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

THF13 posted:

This is a good point that I didn't really think through, thanks. Probably will just order wirecutter's recommendation for bluetooth exercise headphones then.

I was actually in your boat but didn't find anything from Wirecutter that was under 50 bucks. I ended up getting these that were well reviewed from somewhere else but they haven't arrived yet.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B4YD2P6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I got an older model jaybird sport one for quite cheap and really like them. See if you can find the older ones on sale or something. The newest models will be a bit pricey though

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Where can I get a chopstick sampler? At home we have a set of squared (Chinese style, I think) brown wood chopsticks we love and two sets of round metal chopsticks that don't grip as well, despite "textured" ends (Korean style I think). From looking about, each culture not only has their own basic type, but bunches of various subtypes used for special occasions or cooking. I'd love a sampler pack of chopsticks, since I think flat metal chopsticks may be fine, but looking at wikipedia there are a bunch of options:

Caption from Wikipedia: From top to bottom: Taiwanese melamine chopsticks, Chinese porcelain chopsticks, Tibetan bamboo chopsticks, Vietnamese palmwood chopsticks, Korean stainless flat chopsticks with matching spoon, Japanese couple's set (two pairs), Japanese child's chopsticks, and disposable "waribashi" (in wrapper)

I could always just get 100 sets of the disposable ones you get in takeaway for like $6, but I'd prefer non-splintery, permanent options. Eating sushi is easy with about anything because the rice is sticky, but ramen, pho, and bulgogi can be a little slipperier.

I know they are just two rods that aren't poison, and I've eaten with unsharpened pencils before, so I'm not Mr. Fancy by any stretch. But I think a nice sampler set (if they exist) might be a cool gift to try out with my wife.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
If you just search amaxon for some bamboo chopsticks you should be fine. I think the ten pairs I bought 2 years ago are holding up just fine so far, but maybe don't let them soak/dry unevenly since they can warp a bit. Shouldn't cost more than $8-10 and probably quite a bit less if you're not super picky. BTW, square chopsticks are superior, round ones are for try hards.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Inspector 34 posted:

chopsticks are ... for try hards.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

The Aphasian posted:

Where can I get a chopstick sampler?
Do you happen to be near a big asian market (I'm thinking Uwajimaya size)? They should have a plenty of chopsticks to choose from, cheap and expensive. This website has a bunch of nice looking ones if you want to buy online.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

taqueso posted:

Do you happen to be near a big asian market (I'm thinking Uwajimaya size)? They should have a plenty of chopsticks to choose from, cheap and expensive. This website has a bunch of nice looking ones if you want to buy online.

I work in DC and have a conference in a couple months in San Francisco, so I'll find one. So far all the markets I've found are specifically Japanese/Chinese, the former offering mostly flavored KitKats/Pocky and the latter cooking ingredients.

That site is a great backup, thanks.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

The Aphasian posted:

I work in DC and have a conference in a couple months in San Francisco, so I'll find one. So far all the markets I've found are specifically Japanese/Chinese, the former offering mostly flavored KitKats/Pocky and the latter cooking ingredients.

That site is a great backup, thanks.

There are a ton of Chinese/Korean super markets in NoVA if you have a car and care to venture out into the suburbs. They definitely carry a bunch of different kinds of chopsticks.

bamhand has a new favorite as of 17:50 on Jun 11, 2015

benwards
Apr 9, 2007

Another youthful indiscretion

bamhand posted:

There are a ton of Chinese/Korean super markets in NoVA if you have a car and care to venture out into the suburbs. They definitely carry a bunch of different kinds of chopsticks.

Yeah, go check out either of the two big supermarkets at Eden Center, there's a ton of chopstick varieties out there (plus awesome cheap ingredients for recipes from pretty much anywhere in Asia).

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.
Does anyone have a recommendation for a surveillance DVR system?

I've owned two (sub $300) units and they both had absolutely painful onboard UIs and even worse web-based UIs. I'm looking for something that's friendlier and supports at least 8 channels.

Nevermind, just realized there was a huge discussion on the page prior.

Dragyn has a new favorite as of 20:22 on Jun 12, 2015

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Does anyone have a bug zapper lamp they particularly enjoy? The hallway to my new apartment is a weird covered outdoor walkway, and due to inner-city laws we can't put our garbage on the street until the night before garbage day so we essentially have to leave it in this open tunnel leading to our apartment until then. Now we've got flies hanging around and they have to die before they sneak into our apartment, any advice?

colas
Feb 14, 2007

I'm looking for a not too heavy book [an intro] on philosophy, Subject/Object relationship, the conceptual distinction, dualism, or dichotomy of subjects (knower/thinkers) and objects.

colas has a new favorite as of 20:17 on Jun 15, 2015

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I need a good suggestion for a day planner. I want one with a monthly pages and daily pages and maybe like some section for goals and poo poo.

I don't like the ones that separate the day into like, hours or morning/afternoon/evening or whatever. Honestly the Hobonichi Planner looks perfect but then if I buy one then of course I'm also buying a cute cover then the next thing I know I'm looking at 60 friggin bucks and that's a lot for a dang planner from Japan. :japan:

Evelyn Nesbit
Jul 8, 2012

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I need a good suggestion for a day planner. I want one with a monthly pages and daily pages and maybe like some section for goals and poo poo.

I don't like the ones that separate the day into like, hours or morning/afternoon/evening or whatever. Honestly the Hobonichi Planner looks perfect but then if I buy one then of course I'm also buying a cute cover then the next thing I know I'm looking at 60 friggin bucks and that's a lot for a dang planner from Japan. :japan:

When I was in college, I used a Moleskine and it served me well. I think their daily ones have numbers down the side for times of day, but they're also really unobtrusive, so you could ignore them pretty easily.

I also have a couple of friends who have Filofaxes and are completely obsessed with them, because they're super super customizable because you can just create and print out your own templates. If you go on Pinterest and search Filofax, you can see what people are doing with theirs.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Anyone get an Amazon Echo?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Cross post from PYF Recent Purchases: Please, don't shop-shame.

Sappo569 posted:

Not sure what ever happened to the 'Recommend me' thread, so I'll ask in here.

Looking for a music solution for my bedroom, I have a cheap 2.1 speaker setup, but not sure what to hook up to it. It uses regular analog/rca connetions

I don't use apple devices aside from Apple TV which is in the living room, what is the cheapest option here?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

colas posted:

I have one, it's pretty good for what it does. Bluetooth speaker, plays music, tells me traffic, weather, and jokes.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Speaking of Bluetooth, what's the best option these days for wireless earbuds for use while running? Don't want them too enormous and don't want them to fall out. Battery life is secondary as long as they last two hours or so.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Bhodi posted:

Speaking of Bluetooth, what's the best option these days for wireless earbuds for use while running? Don't want them too enormous and don't want them to fall out. Battery life is secondary as long as they last two hours or so.

I think JLab Epic claims the title right now: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PVRI0OK

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Bhodi posted:

I've had these about a year, and they work great.

Battery life is great, have yet to run out of juice.

Sound quality is middle of the road

For the price they're worth trying out in my opinion, and one of the only sets I've found to stay in my ear and not fall out

http://www.amazon.ca/Avantree-Sacoo...avantree+sacool

colas
Feb 14, 2007

These bluetooth headphones are cheap and totally decent. I have a pair, my dad has a pair, no complaints.

http://www.amazon.com/MEElectronics...ooth+headphones

colas has a new favorite as of 19:32 on Jun 30, 2015

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

colas posted:

Have you seen the echo thread? Lots of good info there

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Sappo569 posted:

Cross post from PYF Recent Purchases: Please, don't shop-shame.

I'm not really sure what you are asking. Are you looking for speaker recommendations, or some sort of media receiver?

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Have you seen the echo thread? Lots of good info there

where is it?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Had to dig it up I unbookmarked it

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3679478&perpage=40

I guess it's the unofficial official thread

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Glottis posted:

I'm not really sure what you are asking. Are you looking for speaker recommendations, or some sort of media receiver?

I have the speakers .... I need something to plug into them to play music

Preferably with a capacity so I can put all my music on it and just leave it plugged in

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Sappo569 posted:

Preferably with a capacity so I can put all my music on it and just leave it plugged in

What are the speakers? Like a computer speaker set with integrated amplifier?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Sappo569 posted:

If you don't mind turning it on when you want to use it, a Bluetooth aux adapter and a phone/tablet might do the trick. I have one in my car, works pretty well. I mostly do Spotify, with some locally stored stuff on my phone, so maybe a bit different from your use case, but might be worth checking out.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

taqueso posted:

What are the speakers? Like a computer speaker set with integrated amplifier?

Yeah just a cheap'o $50 set with a little sub

Echophonic posted:

If you don't mind turning it on when you want to use it, a Bluetooth aux adapter and a phone/tablet might do the trick. I have one in my car, works pretty well. I mostly do Spotify, with some locally stored stuff on my phone, so maybe a bit different from your use case, but might be worth checking out.

Ideally I want something self contained, without having to use my phone or stream the music from my PC

Maybe getting a used Ipod shuffle is the way to go?

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Sappo569 posted:

Maybe getting a used Ipod shuffle is the way to go?

Probably the cheapest route, yeah.

If you want something you can grow into, grab a receiver with AirPlay/Bluetooth, if you want to just stream music from your phone/tablet/friends' devices to it, as it'll always be on. However, you'd also need to grab some bookshelf or tower speakers, unless you want to start messing with :science: and impedances.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

kloa posted:

unless you want to start messing with :science: and impedances.

Or something with stereo pre-amp outputs

NarwhalParty
Jul 23, 2010
Any recommendations for PS3 games I can play online with my brother in a different state? Everything I've picked up the servers have been closed. We've played all the Little Big Planets. I'm not interested in anything first person (I get nauseated easily). I'm not really much of a gamer but I'll play side scrollers or fighting.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.
I'm looking for a Bluetooth receiver that I can connect to a mic line in connector that had a range suitable for my 35'x35' garage. I've tried a few, but they've all cut out once I was more than 10' or so from the receiver.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Stepped on my console/PC headset in the dark and now one side is hanging by the wire.

It was Turtle Beach PX22, and I'm looking for something with better build quality and would work across PC, PS4, Xbox 360, and XBone. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Gotta decide if you want a wireless mic or not. Still no Bluetooth mic support

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Dragyn posted:

I'm looking for a Bluetooth receiver that I can connect to a mic line in connector that had a range suitable for my 35'x35' garage. I've tried a few, but they've all cut out once I was more than 10' or so from the receiver.

What is your intended use? If you just need A2DP (streaming audio) I've used these to connect smartphones to car stereos. Range probably depends more on the transmitting device than the receiver but on more than one occassion my wife would have something playing on her phone, get out of the car with the phone, walk into the house and it would continue to stream audio without any issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Gotta decide if you want a wireless mic or not. Still no Bluetooth mic support

Wired is fine. And it's a soft budget ceiling of $100 -$150.