Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Fabricated posted:

The bats were weird because the Bottlefly Boys literally seemed to see them AS normal bats while it was all going on. Zane yells that they're the size of cars, and one of them turns around and laughs and says, "If they were, we'd be in trouble!"

Meanwhile they certainly as gently caress knew that the angleworm wasn't normal.

The line was more like "they're almost the size of cars!" and one of them says "if they WERE the size of cars, then we'd be in trouble!"

It was sarcasm/bravado, they didn't think they were just punching regular sized bats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

New comic.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Oh Zane.

Poor Zane.

Poor, poor Zane.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Well he's...not trapped underneath a lake at a shrine to an eldritch horror, at least?

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

He could be possessed.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Zoe posted:

Well he's...not trapped underneath a lake at a shrine to an eldritch horror, at least?

Until we see Zane not in said shrine I'm not making any bets.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Hmm. Seems like he's getting a little too confident here and that's surely going to bite him in the rear end, but I guess it really did go a long way to have somebody confirm that he wasn't the only crazy one.

Seems they both (and Iris too?) remember the thing in the woods so...that's progress, I guess?

But still no explanation as to what happened in the cavern.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Zoe posted:

RAMPANT SPECULATION :

Wadsworth got pulled back up after his tugging, and decided that the best way to deal with the cavern is to pretend he saw nothing at all.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
It's a shame that he doesn't remember that the pattern helped the stitched together monster in. So yeah, this is going to bite him hard.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Zoe posted:

He doesn't want to talk about it.

That last line is fantastic.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Wow, you can really see that panic setting in around panel 3. That is the face of a man who has seen things. And actually remembered them, for once.

And so it sounds like the lake is just a big empty crater now?

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Oh, and so I notice the background of the site has changed again. For the new book we've got darkness with streaks of light coming in from the sides.

Like the water themed one we had last time, I assume the meaning will only become obvious once whatever major thing's going to happen actually happens.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Zoe posted:

Wow, you can really see that panic setting in around panel 3. That is the face of a man who has seen things. And actually remembered them, for once.

And so it sounds like the lake is just a big empty crater now?

Either that, or the temple or whatever it was is flooded now.

Zoe posted:

Oh, and so I notice the background of the site has changed again. For the new book we've got darkness with streaks of light coming in from the sides.

Like the water themed one we had last time, I assume the meaning will only become obvious once whatever major thing's going to happen actually happens.

I kinda wish the backgrounds were tied to the chapters rather than just being replaced outright. Like the water themed one would be bound to chapter 2 and so on.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Update

Congrats on the promotion Iris, I'm sure it it'll be fun and involve lots of bake sales and tea parties and absolutely no jealous old ladies or bequeathals of dark secrets at all.

...and it's amazing how the phrase 'the old ways' pretty much always sounds ominous no matter what the context.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Zoe posted:

Update

Congrats on the promotion Iris, I'm sure it it'll be fun and involve lots of bake sales and tea parties and absolutely no jealous old ladies or bequeathals of dark secrets at all.

...and it's amazing how the phrase 'the old ways' pretty much always sounds ominous no matter what the context.

We're going to revert from the current version of Windows to... The Old Ways.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Capfalcon posted:

We're going to revert from the current version of Windows to... The Old Ways.
XP is older than Windows 3.1 was when XP came out.

Unless you mean Windows 7, which is kinda sad when you realize that it counts as "the old ways" now.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
My notebook and my tablet are serviceable enough for flighty little modern things.

But when it comes time for true computing I go to the darkest corner of my home, where hunched upon my desk is the ancient beast still given life by XP according to the Old Ways.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

New comic, great last panel.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Update

au courant
[oh koo-rahn; French oh koo-rahn]

adjective
1. up-to-date.
2. fully aware or familiar; cognizant.

Origin of au courant
< French: literally, in the current

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 10:47 on May 29, 2015

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Getting Along

I'm starting to get a little worried about Zane, you guys. :(

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Zoe posted:

Getting Along

I'm starting to get a little worried about Zane, you guys. :(
Why is the first thing I noticed that neither Heads nor Tails ever comes up 3+ times in a row?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The coin flips are opposite from the preceding flip over 80% of the time - a truly random coin would be 50%. Across almost a hundred trials, I can conclusively say that - statistically speaking - something is hosed up.

However, human-generated 'random' sequences tend to swap far more often than they should, so this could just be a mistake or a hallucinatory coin.

quote:

Why is the first thing I noticed that neither Heads nor Tails ever comes up 3+ times in a row?
First speech bubble has three heads.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Straub in the comments says "I flipped the coins last time I was in West Virginia." So either he did this and got a sequence that doesn't seem random (maybe the coin he was using is weighted), or it's uh...a joke I'm not getting.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Isn't Broodhollow meant to be in West Virginia? I'd guess he's emphasizing location to imply that the non-random pattern is a supernatural thing. I wouldn't be surprised if there's some sort of code there (perhaps with the pattern of exclamation marks relevant). He's just saying so obliquely to avoid giving stuff away.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Carrasco posted:

Straub in the comments says "I flipped the coins last time I was in West Virginia." So either he did this and got a sequence that doesn't seem random (maybe the coin he was using is weighted), or it's uh...a joke I'm not getting.

uh isn't he talking about how he had his own obsessive habits

e: v the pattern isn't real. that's what this chapter is about, zane is allowing his OCD to take control of his life because he thinks it will protect him from the spooky bullshit of the town, but it will just lead him to doing stuff like this all day while alienating his friends and neglecting the actual causes of the spooky bullshit

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jun 4, 2015

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Personally, I'm interested in the pattern of heads and tails, and the fact that there seems to be a pattern for him stating the outcome and exclaiming the outcome. We've seen that "the pattern" is real, as far as the comic goes, so this seems like something we're obviously supposed to catch on to.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

How's Annie? How's Annie? :unsmigghh:

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

A big flaming stink posted:

e: v the pattern isn't real. that's what this chapter is about, zane is allowing his OCD to take control of his life because he thinks it will protect him from the spooky bullshit of the town, but it will just lead him to doing stuff like this all day while alienating his friends and neglecting the actual causes of the spooky bullshit

We've absolutely seen that the pattern IS real though. Zane doesn't understand it as much as he thinks he does but he was correct about partially open doors, even if it turned out shutting everything just shut out Maddy from protecting him.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

The blurriness of the line between Zane's OCD, the actual supernatural, and the town's traditions is a big part of Broodhollow. Any given pattern might or might NOT be a supernatural thing -- that uncertainty is a big part of the horror.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

reignonyourparade posted:

We've absolutely seen that the pattern IS real though. Zane doesn't understand it as much as he thinks he does but he was correct about partially open doors, even if it turned out shutting everything just shut out Maddy from protecting him.

This, and if you remember the "right turn/left turn" thing from the first book, yeah, patterns are a real thing in this comic.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Update.

Looks like things are getting spooky.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jun 9, 2015

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I think one of them noticed him. The next couple of pages are going to be scary good.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Well that was an abrupt change in tone.

I don't think it can be emphasized enough how I love Kris' use of colors. I could tell spooky poo poo was about to go down just from the first panel.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Zoe posted:

Is basically Broodhollow summed up.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Zoe posted:

I don't think it can be emphasized enough how I love Kris' use of colors. I could tell spooky poo poo was about to go down just from the first panel.

You could tell something spooky was going to happen from the previous strip, where the colour started to get more dark purple-ish.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

New comic

Just what did Zane see down there?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Harker isn't doing too well these days, is he?

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Zane sure sacked up. Nice to see that kind of growth over time.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Holy poo poo. Wadsworth is a badass now.

...I just hope all this new found confidence doesn't eventually backfire horribly. (oh who am I kidding of course it will...) I'm sure there are a things in Broodhollow one really should maintain a healthy fear of.

Interesting that all the ghosts seemed to be clustered around that one spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Did anyone else see the little bat scowl Mercy was putting on as well?

Mercy for best pet.

• Locked thread