Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I found a used XT1053 Developer edition Moto X for $195, is there any reason I shouldn't jump on it? I know that would be high for a Verizon model, but the T-Mobile ones are more expensive all around.

The Verizon model is XT1060 and won't work on some of T-Mobile's frequencies. The XT1053 is the T-Mobile version and the one you have to have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, that's why I was looking at the XT1053. You can get brand new XT1060 dev editions for $230, but an XT1053 is $300 for the non-developer edition.

I'm probably going to buy it when I get home tonight. Kind of fucks my budget, but this phone has been acting up even more lately.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Yeah, that's why I was looking at the XT1053. You can get brand new XT1060 dev editions for $230, but an XT1053 is $300 for the non-developer edition.

I'm probably going to buy it when I get home tonight. Kind of fucks my budget, but this phone has been acting up even more lately.

Long shot but would you have any interest in a Droid Maxx for about $100? It's got a crack on the top but doesn't affect viewing it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Oh okay, I read the post wrongly. It sounds like you're on a tight budget but have you considered paying off a phone over two years through T-Mobile? The Moto X 2013 was a great phone but it is two years old at this point and it sounds like two years from now you're not going to want to deal with a four year old phone.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

If I was on Verizon, I would, but apparently it doesn't work great on T-Mobile.

Edit: I might stop in at the T-Mobile store and look at the options. The problem is an LG g3 barely fits in some of my pockets length-wise, and makes it really uncomfortable to sit down. Most phones seem to be that size now. That, combined with the big mess of problems that cropped up over the past 2 weeks, are what knocked the Alcatel Idol 3 out of the running

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 8, 2015

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

butt dickus posted:

My friend has an S5 that she bought outright from AT&T. She had it unlocked and it's working on T-Mobile, but she wants the AT&T stuff removed. It's still on 4.4.4 and it gives a failure message when checking for updates. Is there a way I can flash it to a T-Mobile or unbranded ROM? If not, can I at least update it? I don't want to root it but if that's required I can go ask in that thread (ugh).

I found this site but it has a RapidGator link with a rar and I don't trust that poo poo one bit.

Go to https://www.sammobile.com and download the latest firmware and flash it through odin (the site gives you the instructions). That will update the device while keeping it stock and with its warranty untouched.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

LastInLine posted:

I'm pretty sure SamMobile is the resource for this but obviously I can't tell you any of the answers to your questions.

Guillermus posted:

Go to https://www.sammobile.com and download the latest firmware and flash it through odin (the site gives you the instructions). That will update the device while keeping it stock and with its warranty untouched.
Can I flash it to a non-carrier version or is it stuck with AT&T firmware? I haven't looked at the device but I think it's the SM-G900A, and the only firmware on the site for that model is 4.4.2. Will things explode if I use the firmware for SM-G900T or SM-G900R4/6? Thanks.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

22 Eargesplitten posted:

If I was on Verizon, I would, but apparently it doesn't work great on T-Mobile.
Yeah, there's a bug in the Maxx firmware that basically breaks LTE even though it technically supports T-Mobile's band 4.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I was reading that it also won't do texts or calls when mobile data is on when it's on T-Mobile.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I was reading that it also won't do texts or calls when mobile data is on when it's on T-Mobile.

Basically same thing. If you have LTE enabled then it hoses texting/calling. If you disable LTE and just use HSPA+ then it works fine.

It wasn't a problem in the beginning, but IIRC the Kit Kat update caused it.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I found a used XT1053 Developer edition Moto X for $195, is there any reason I shouldn't jump on it? I know that would be high for a Verizon model, but the T-Mobile ones are more expensive all around.

That's a pretty standard price for a used XT1053. Mine just sold a couple weeks ago for $170. I would have loved to get $195 for it, but considering I bought it brand new for $200, I can't complain much.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Where did you get one new for $200? At that price point, I'd take the 16gb. Or have they started going up in price?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
They popped up on eBay for $200 in November but they didn't last very long.

This one on Amazon for $220 is the XT1053 as far as I can tell. I don't think any other models are factory unlocked.

Vykk.Draygo fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jun 9, 2015

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine
Is the Xperia Z3C still my best best for a compact phone or is there something on the horizon that I should wait just a while longer for?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Present posted:

Is the Xperia Z3C still my best best for a compact phone or is there something on the horizon that I should wait just a while longer for?

Nothing good on the horizon that has been announced.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
My Nexus 5 seems to have suffered brain damage: it's been turning itself off somehow over the past few days, and as of this morning it's finally started to hang at the 'Google' boot screen. This is completely out of the blue; no water damage, no drops, bends, shakes, voodoo curses, nothing.

I can get into recovery by holding both volume keys, holding the power button and finding 'recovery' in the resulting menu, but I keep getting the 'dead Android with a red /!\ triangle' image - even when going for a 'wipe data/factory reset'. There's some yellow text at the bottom of the screen, 'failed to mount /cache (No such file or directory)'. This leads me to believe that my phone is basically hosed.

After a quick web search, the gist I'm getting is that the cache partition on my phone's corrupted, and I'm going to have to flash back to stock. Is there any kind of 'idiot's guide' that's best to use for this?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Present posted:

The age of the compact phone has ended, there are only hugephones now.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
I really don't see why we can't all just go on eBay and get an HP Veer to satisfy our tiny phone cravings.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

spincube posted:

My Nexus 5 seems to have suffered brain damage: it's been turning itself off somehow over the past few days, and as of this morning it's finally started to hang at the 'Google' boot screen. This is completely out of the blue; no water damage, no drops, bends, shakes, voodoo curses, nothing.

I can get into recovery by holding both volume keys, holding the power button and finding 'recovery' in the resulting menu, but I keep getting the 'dead Android with a red /!\ triangle' image - even when going for a 'wipe data/factory reset'. There's some yellow text at the bottom of the screen, 'failed to mount /cache (No such file or directory)'. This leads me to believe that my phone is basically hosed.

After a quick web search, the gist I'm getting is that the cache partition on my phone's corrupted, and I'm going to have to flash back to stock. Is there any kind of 'idiot's guide' that's best to use for this?

Assuming you know nothing at all about it, you'll need the Android SDK Tools (and a JRE installed) and a factory image. Extract the tgz of the factory image into the Platform-tools folder of the SDK.

The instructions once you have the environment set up are at the top of the factory image page linked above but basically you need to unlock your bootloader first (which will wipe the device). To do that now, you have to have enabled that option from within Android before attempting this so if you can't boot into Android you might not be able to fix it yourself. To enable it, you go to Settings > About Phone and tap the Build Number seven times to enable Developer Options, then go into those (back one level on the Settings screen) and there should be an option to enable OEM Unlock. This option is not present on my Nexus 5 but it already has an unlocked bootloader. With luck, it might be a Nexus 6-only thing if you cannot boot into Android.

Once you've done that, return to the bootloader by powering off and powering on while holding volume down. Connect via USB, open a command line/Terminal at the Platform-tools folder, and type

fastboot devices

If it returns a serial number, things are working. If it does not, your driver isn't installed correctly which is common for Windows. Assuming you got a serial number, unlock the bootloader by typing

fastboot oem unlock

and following the instructions on the screen of the phone. Once that's done, simply run the flash-all script for your OS that was included with the factory image.

That's it.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Thanks. I've already had a play around with fastboot, to no success - I don't recall ever enabling USB debugging. Can't get the thing to boot into Android at all.

Bricked :(

It's a Play Store phone, so I could try my luck with Google support - I've never heard of phones lobotomising themselves like this, at all - but I'm not going to hold my breath after this long. Fuuuuuck

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

spincube posted:

...was it stock when it started having this problem?

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Absolutely, hand on heart. I'd originally put it down to me being daft and inadvertently hitting the power button while it's in my pocket, or something like that - weirder stuff has happened. Just outright making GBS threads itself and dying like this is nuts!

[e] ah, misunderstood. 'flash back to stock' as in 'download factory image from Google and flash that'.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Angry Fish posted:

I really don't see why we can't all just go on eBay and get an HP Veer to satisfy our tiny phone cravings.

http://www.amazon.com/ZTE-Zinger-Black-Contract-T-Mobile/dp/B00O15MXD2

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

spincube posted:

Thanks. I've already had a play around with fastboot, to no success - I don't recall ever enabling USB debugging. Can't get the thing to boot into Android at all.

Bricked :(

It's a Play Store phone, so I could try my luck with Google support - I've never heard of phones lobotomising themselves like this, at all - but I'm not going to hold my breath after this long. Fuuuuuck

So in fastboot it's recognized but fastboot oem unlock fails?

Also you don't need USB debugging on to issue fastboot commands.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I've copied adb, its .dll, and fastboot from the SDK and placed them in C:\Android for simplicity. I've also installed the USB driver from the SDK folder, which has left my Device Manager looking like this:

However, fastboot still isn't responding.

Going to try installing, re-installing, uninstalling and basically every Google result is just ':shrug:install drivers from the SDK:shrug:'

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

spincube posted:

I've copied adb, its .dll, and fastboot from the SDK and placed them in C:\Android for simplicity. I've also installed the USB driver from the SDK folder, which has left my Device Manager looking like this:

Going to try installing, re-installing, uninstalling and basically every Google result is just ':shrug:install drivers from the SDK:shrug:'

Do you have a friend with a Mac or a Linux laptop? ADB is 10000000000% easier on one of them.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Didn't someone post how running a Linux VM to janitor their Android was easier than Window?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

I was having trouble getting fastboot to see my device, in the end it worked with a different cable.

Fastboot / ADB is very finicky, especially on Windows.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Endless Mike posted:

Didn't someone post how running a Linux VM to janitor their Android was easier than Window?

Yes this is absolutely correct since you don't need to install any special USB drivers in Linux.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Endless Mike posted:

I did. I used to have an image, but I don't any more since I have a Mac now. I can maybe get one together, but not today.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The dev driver situation for nexus devices in Windows is the ultimate example of Google being google.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

:cripes: Pray for me, Android thread, I know I've got an Ubuntu ISO somewhere

VV good idea, but I'm already hooked up directly to the motherboard USB slots.

spincube fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jun 9, 2015

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

spincube posted:

If you're plugging the phone into a USB port on the front of your computer, try one of the motherboard-mounted ports on the back of your (desktop) computer. Chalk it up to :android: but for some reason the only way I was able to get ADB to see a device was by using ports on the back of the PC, the front ones drew power and recognized the device in windows but ADB is a picky little poo poo about what ports it is OK with.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

FYI, adb is not what spincube wants anyways. He needs fastboot. ADB drivers and Fastboot drivers are different.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bull3964 posted:

The dev driver situation for nexus devices in Windows is the ultimate example of Google being google.
It's not surprising. Last I heard, Google doesn't let workers use Windows unless they absolutely have to.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

spincube posted:

:cripes: Pray for me, Android thread, I know I've got an Ubuntu ISO somewhere

VV good idea, but I'm already hooked up directly to the motherboard USB slots.

Search the rooted thread for Tunga posts. I know he's said before how to get it working in Windows (the answer is "Buy a Mac/install Linux" :v: ).

Once you get the drivers working things go fast.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

Search the rooted thread for Tunga posts.

A wild Tunga post appears.

The usual fix is to right click the device, delete the drive, and then unplug/replug the USB cable. Do this a lot until Windows either stops recognising the device or constantly tries to install the same default driver. If you can, try to cancel the auto-driver install thing so that it ends up unrecognised. Now apply the Google driver to it.

Oh and make sure you're doing all of this with the phone in the right mode, i.e. fastboot in this case.

Or buy a Mac.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I feel like I'm the only person who's never had any problems with Android drivers on Windows.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Thermopyle posted:

I feel like I'm the only person who's never had any problems with Android drivers on Windows.

I got to the point where I could have one nexus device working at a time. If my 7 worked, the 10 would not. If the 10 worked, the galaxy nexus would not.

What finally sorted things out for me was to say "gently caress the google drivers" and installed drivers from PdaNet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Thermopyle posted:

I've always been able to get them working, but it's been a chore each time.

One reason not to even bother unless you really have to, I suppose.