Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
Out of curiosity, what's the value of the tools in the box compared to the box itself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

oxbrain posted:

Out of curiosity, what's the value of the tools in the box compared to the box itself?

Usually many times more valuable than the box they live in.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Brain Issues posted:

Got myself a new toolbox at work. Before this I was working out of a Mac Tech1000 that I bought on craigslist for $1500.

Went from this

To this

Mac guy sold me this for $5000 and gave me $2500 for my Tech1000 and $100 tool credit. So in the end I paid $3900 for this huge box with hutch which retails for close to $13k because it was 4 months old with a few scratches on it.

Those are some nice toolboxes and I would kill for a MAC truck to come to my work. But you must not be in an automotive shop with floors that clean. Or a fancy dealership

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I just can't spend that much on a toolbox. Like, I literally can't afford it. What is the benefit to one of those over your run of the mill Kobalt or Craftsman box?

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Prestige/status and higher build quality (that is not proportionate to the additional cost).

EdIT: So if all you need is a box with drawers to store your tools, no benefit.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I just can't spend that much on a toolbox. Like, I literally can't afford it. What is the benefit to one of those over your run of the mill Kobalt or Craftsman box?

If you're using it all day, every day, it needs to be solid and quality. It also helps to be big enough to have nice organization and space.

I broke a Snap-on box because mine is so full. The weight broke the spot welds on the box's "chassis"/floor. It's since been replaced with another used bottom box the same, because poor.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Rubiks Pubes posted:

You buy that poo poo on credit and spend a lot of time and more of yoru money paying it off, no interest in most cases mind you. Ya its baller to have a nice box, (and 5 grand aint poo poo when it comes to nice boxes) but tool storage is not an investment unless you work with assholes that jack your poo poo. I want a box but cant justify it with all the tools id rather have. Hence me rocking 3 rolling carts at work. However there are only 4 of us in the shop so if poo poo goes missing, its a very short list of people to look for. Thankfully were all a pretty tight crew and even the guy with the $20k box + another 100k in tools never locks his poo poo.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Yeah I guess if I was doing it for a living I could see it. That makes sense. I'm just tinkering at home, so far so good with my Home Depot specials.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Yeah I guess if I was doing it for a living I could see it. That makes sense. I'm just tinkering at home, so far so good with my Home Depot specials.

I briefly thought of getting the really nice snap on/matco stuff but decided against it. I make decent enough money that it wouldn't really be an issue but I'd rather spend it on other stupid poo poo.

Can you just roll up to a shop you see the snap on guy at and talk to him there or would you have to go through their website?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Yeah it's really only an issue if you max out your drawers and/or get mad at janky Chinese poo poo not sliding smoothly and shutting solidly.

fknlo posted:

I briefly thought of getting the really nice snap on/matco stuff but decided against it. I make decent enough money that it wouldn't really be an issue but I'd rather spend it on other stupid poo poo.

Can you just roll up to a shop you see the snap on guy at and talk to him there or would you have to go through their website?

I guess it depends on the guy. I bought a Snap-On ratchet from the truck that serves the auto shops behind the store I used to work at, and he had no problems with me. I just saw him walking back to his truck and was like "hey man, I wanted to get a ratchet from you". I guess some guys can be more elitist though or something?

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

fknlo posted:

You can just roll up and they will all sell you poo poo no problem as long as you pay for it in full but they generally won't let you open a credit account with them unless you work at one of their stops full time.

oxbrain posted:

Well I paid 3900 for the box and have probably around 6-7k in tools in it. Most guys buy way more snap on tools than me. If all the sockets and wrenches and air tools in my box were from snap on it would probably be closer to 15k in tools.

I'm pretty frugal and only buy from snap on very few things that are almost necessary for the quality, like their hand ratchets.

SouthsideSaint posted:

Those are some nice toolboxes and I would kill for a MAC truck to come to my work. But you must not be in an automotive shop with floors that clean. Or a fancy dealership

I work at an Audi dealership

Rubiks Pubes posted:

The build quality is far higher than a craftsman/husky/kobalt box. The drawer slides and drawers are strong enough to stand on without breaking anything. You can feel the difference in quality is huge by just opening a drawer.

For home use, I just have a craftsman box, there is no reason to get a professional box at home because you're probably never going to break your box in a home environment without huge amounts of tools and heavy daily use.

Preoptopus posted:

Ya its baller to have a nice box, (and 5 grand aint poo poo when it comes to nice boxes) but tool storage is not an investment unless you work with assholes that jack your poo poo. I want a box but cant justify it with all the tools id rather have.
Agreed 100%. I only upgraded because I was out of space in my Tech1000 and this deal was too good to pass up. They are not an investment, your box doesn't make you any money, and there is no way in hell I would pay even close to retail for one of these boxes

This retails for $13k but it's used, and I talked the tool truck guy down to 5000 from 6300 he was asking. Plus he gave me $1000 more for my trade in box than I paid for it and a 100 tool credit so I am only $3900 into the whole thing. I could easily sell this for what I paid or more if needed.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
When you change jobs how the gently caress do you move all those tools/boxes? Unload everything and put the tool box in the back of a truck?

Brain Issues posted:

You can just roll up and they will all sell you poo poo no problem as long as you pay for it in full but they generally won't let you open a credit account with them unless you work at one of their stops full time.

Nice to know.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

fknlo posted:

When you change jobs how the gently caress do you move all those tools/boxes? Unload everything and put the tool box in the back of a truck?

A lot of the time it requires a flatbed tow truck. Or some guys will rent a van. Empty everything in to Rubbermaid totes and then load the empty box in.

And Brain Issues your dealership is way cleaner then the one I worked in. In tool related things My wife is asking me what I want for my birthday. Does anyone else use the Milwaukee m12 ratchet for automotive stuff? I worked with a guy who had the matco 1/4" drive one and it made some jobs a lot easier and the compressor didn't get run as much. But all the videos I see of the Milwaukee give me a mixed feeling. Maybe its just people on youtube suck at turning a wrench.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Dumb or ingenius way to clean injectors?

https://youtu.be/rUUgR94drxg

Huge fire hazard. Smoking while pumping gas level of fire hazard.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
That and questionable benefit. I'd like to see him do it on an injector that was broken to begin with.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

SouthsideSaint posted:

A lot of the time it requires a flatbed tow truck. Or some guys will rent a van....

Or, if it's short distances, a Uhaul trailer, tow straps, and a prayer.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

QuarkMartial posted:

That's actually the way I moved my harbor freight 44" box from the dealership when I left. But it was more like me and my buddys 44" HF box and his craftsman top box. In a tiny trailer for a 4 wheeler. With a ranger that had the usual trans issues. Such a fun and butt puckering drive.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

fknlo posted:

I've always moved mine by taking all the drawers out and loading them and the empty box chassis into a van. Box strapped in, etc.

Other methods are with a flatbed tow truck, winch the complete box onto the bed and strap it down, truck with a tail-lift, trailer with a ramp, etc.

They're very heavy though. Even with all the drawers out, it took 8 people to lift my box into a van. (40" top and bottom, side box, side locker.)

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

QuarkMartial posted:

I used a forklift to put mine in the back of a pickup, but in my trade forklifts are common enough that you can count on having one at each end of the trip, so that might not work for everyone.

If you have a SnapOn box and a good relationship with the dealer then sometimes they'll help out too. All the trucks I've seen have lift gates on the back specifically for loading and unloading large toolboxes.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

So I take it if you rocked up to your new dealership job with three Halfords special toolbox strapped together you'd be a laughing stock? (And the boxes would fall to bits within a week)

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Cakefool posted:

So I take it if you rocked up to your new dealership job with three Halfords special toolbox strapped together you'd be a laughing stock? (And the boxes would fall to bits within a week)

Pretty much, yes.

Not to say that all boxes need to be Snap-on/Mac/whatever big brand though.

Halfords boxes can't take the weight/stresses/use of everyday use. Their cantilever boxes are quite decent though.

I've found many (not all) dealer mechs have smaller toolboxes and less tools. You need less stuff when only working on one brand, and a lot is provided for you. (Special tools, not basic hand tools.)

My Snap-on dealer told me the other day that he doesn't know anyone with a box as packed and (over)filled as mine. :v:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Mooseykins posted:

My Snap-on dealer told me the other day that he doesn't know anyone with a box as packed and (over)filled as mine. :v:

Sounds like a flirty come-on to me.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

SouthsideSaint posted:

In tool related things My wife is asking me what I want for my birthday. Does anyone else use the Milwaukee m12 ratchet for automotive stuff? I worked with a guy who had the matco 1/4" drive one and it made some jobs a lot easier and the compressor didn't get run as much. But all the videos I see of the Milwaukee give me a mixed feeling. Maybe its just people on youtube suck at turning a wrench.

Funny you should ask that, I literally just got one last week. I haven't used it a whole lot yet but from I've found is.. It has way less power than I expected. I really only bought it for interior bolts and as a bolt runner so it should be fine, but I tried to break loose some slightly tighter bolts and it wouldn't budge them. I figure probably should have gotten the 3/8 drive version considering they're the same overall size.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

spog posted:

Sounds like a flirty come-on to me.

Nah, he just keeps trying to sell me a new box. So he reminds me at every possible opportunity that my box is old, worn out and overfilled.

What you need is a new KRL in the same layout as yours, it's only like 12,000 and i'll give you trade-in on your old one! :v:

Brain Issues posted:

Funny you should ask that, I literally just got one last week. I haven't used it a whole lot yet but from I've found is.. It has way less power than I expected. I really only bought it for interior bolts and as a bolt runner so it should be fine, but I tried to break loose some slightly tighter bolts and it wouldn't budge them. I figure probably should have gotten the 3/8 drive version considering they're the same overall size.

I bought a Snap-on 3/8" one for a friend a few weeks ago. He likes it and wanted it, but even that isn't very powerful or fast. Good for what it is, but not something i would buy for myself. (And being Snap-on it was )

Strikes me as something that's ideal for engine building where you run everything down before torquing, but out in the shop it's no match for a decent air ratchet. My baby 3/8" IR runs rings around it.

Mooseykins fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jun 6, 2015

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
^^^Yeah I wouldn't buy it to break anything loose. I have long 3/8 and 1/2 ratchets that make stubborn rusty bolts my bitch. I wanted it for interior work and running down bolts. It also is almost the perfect level of torque for doing 4.6 and 5.4 triton spark plugs. The shop im in has plenty of air lines I just hate loving dragging the things there. Id much rather drag a ratchet of appropriate bolt loving size and the electric ratchet. Now I just carry my Makita 1/4 impact. That thing has paid for itself so many times over. I once used it to brake lugs loose on a Volvo that had never had its tires touched in the last 60K

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

SouthsideSaint posted:

^^^Yeah I wouldn't buy it to break anything loose. I have long 3/8 and 1/2 ratchets that make stubborn rusty bolts my bitch. I wanted it for interior work and running down bolts. It also is almost the perfect level of torque for doing 4.6 and 5.4 triton spark plugs. The shop im in has plenty of air lines I just hate loving dragging the things there. Id much rather drag a ratchet of appropriate bolt loving size and the electric ratchet. Now I just carry my Makita 1/4 impact. That thing has paid for itself so many times over. I once used it to brake lugs loose on a Volvo that had never had its tires touched in the last 60K

Yeah I use my 12v Dewalt 3/8 impact for most everything. I just wanted to the electric ratchet for hard to reach areas in interiors without an air hose and it seems to do the job just fine for that.

On the topic of ratchets. These are the TITS. Super long air ratchets.

http://www.amazon.com/Products-GB2515-Extra-Long-Ratchet/dp/B0031PL2SU/

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0031PEBP

Guy at my work had the 1/4" and I laughed my rear end off the first time I saw it and thought it was stupid. Then I needed to borrow it a few times, and it definitely changed my mind quick.

Now I own both the 1/4" and 3/8" versions. They're loving AWESOME for hard to reach bolts and I can't even count the number of times they have saved me time. Everyone laughed the first time they saw it, but now every technician in our shop owns the 1/4" version, and two of us have the 3/8" as well.

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jun 6, 2015

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mooseykins posted:

Nah, he just keeps trying to sell me a new box. So he reminds me at every possible opportunity that my box is old, worn out and overfilled.

What you need is a new KRL in the same layout as yours, it's only like 12,000 and i'll give you trade-in on your old one! :v:

:stare: any box I spend 12k on better have wheels and an engine.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Cakefool posted:

:stare: any box I spend 12k on better have wheels and an engine.

It has wheels! :v:

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

I've killed the spindle bearings in both of my angle grinders (both cheap ones - a 115mm clarke and a 230mm clarke). Has anybody ever attempted to replace the bearings in a cheap angle grinder? Is it possible to get the spindle bearing out?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

When my aldi special ate its brushes in a destructive fashion I pulled it apart and I noted the spindle bearings were push fit into a plastic housing, they even had the bearing number on then, go for it, no harm in looking if it's already dead.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Cakefool posted:

no harm in looking if it's already dead.

Good point! Will perform an autopsy.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Brain Issues posted:

Yeah I use my 12v Dewalt 3/8 impact for most everything. I just wanted to the electric ratchet for hard to reach areas in interiors without an air hose and it seems to do the job just fine for that.

On the topic of ratchets. These are the TITS. Super long air ratchets.

http://www.amazon.com/Products-GB2515-Extra-Long-Ratchet/dp/B0031PL2SU/

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0031PEBP

Guy at my work had the 1/4" and I laughed my rear end off the first time I saw it and thought it was stupid. Then I needed to borrow it a few times, and it definitely changed my mind quick.

Now I own both the 1/4" and 3/8" versions. They're loving AWESOME for hard to reach bolts and I can't even count the number of times they have saved me time. Everyone laughed the first time they saw it, but now every technician in our shop owns the 1/4" version, and two of us have the 3/8" as well.

Second link is no good. They look like a good idea, though.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Found a good deal on Amazon Warehouse of the Gear Wrench metric master set. Used "Like New" with original packaging. Got it yesterday and I'd say it's brand new. Except for the fact that it's missing the 24mm wrench. So of course I get to send it back now :(

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
The last set of gear wrenches i bought was from the Sear's specials. Awesome deal for 60 bucks with shipping.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
If you set an alert on slickdeals, GearWrench sales pop up fairly often. I got the 32pc set with stubbys for like $80 with a little waiting.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

eddiewalker posted:

If you set an alert on slickdeals, GearWrench sales pop up fairly often. I got the 32pc set with stubbys for like $80 with a little waiting.

Yeah, but I can get the metric and standard master sets and a separate stubby set for a lot more money! Amazon tried to give me a $10 credit and just keep the wrenches. This would be acceptable if the missing wrench didn't cost $30 so I'd actually end up spending more for a used set than I would a new one.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
Does anyone have any experience with 3rd party replacement batteries for their tools?
2 of my 4 Dewalt batteries are doa , and only 1 holds any kind of charge. With 1 replacement being $89, I'm looking at 3rd party(probably rebuilt) replacements that cost about what the replacement cells alone would cost if I were to try it myself.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

kmcormick9 posted:

Does anyone have any experience with 3rd party replacement batteries for their tools?
2 of my 4 Dewalt batteries are doa , and only 1 holds any kind of charge. With 1 replacement being $89, I'm looking at 3rd party(probably rebuilt) replacements that cost about what the replacement cells alone would cost if I were to try it myself.

My dad got a no-name 3rd party ebay battery for his Hilti hand drill 5 months ago - it's dead already with the lightest of use. Granted, he probably bought the cheapest one he could find so maybe if you avoid "Cameron Sino" brand batteries you will be okay :v:

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

kmcormick9 posted:

You just need to search harder on craigslist. For 89$ you can probably get another drill and a couple batteries of cragslist. There was recently someone selling a wall of old Makita batteries. Like he built a wall there was so many batteries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kmcormick9 posted:

I bought a few of these and they have been drat near as good as the real DeWalt batteries.

This was a couple years ago........you know how these things go so I can't vouch for the current quality.