Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOspDFhTxsQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6l0DrYAuZw

The Corvettes are the best sounding thing.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Four Ferrari FXX K's tearing up Imola. Speakers UP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ5hALZb6wA

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

A3th3r posted:

Those Cars & Coffee events sound like they would be a pretty good time to go to

This post reads like a rice-boy history.

1) FWD Honda dragster in the early 2000s

2) Switch over to JDM beater S14 to the mid 2000s

3) Buy BMW, go stance with it. late 2000s early 2010s

4) OH poo poo I GOT A *C*O*R*P*E*R*A*T*E*J*O*B*

5) Customized naked-bike to prove you're not just another suit

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Octopus Magic posted:

4) OH poo poo I GOT A *C*O*R*P*E*R*A*T*E*J*O*B*
Is that a Google+ wallet?

Why would anyone ever:
  • Buy a Google+ wallet?
  • Think it's in anyway Awesome, AI, or even just "car poo poo"?
Also, agreed.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Don't feed the troll, c'mon.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Don't call Octopus Magic a troll just because he doesn't recognize fine art when he sees it

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

14 INCH SLIT posted:

Don't call Octopus Magic a troll just because he doesn't recognize fine art when he sees it
Posting lovely cars in the AI poo poo thread has been Trolling 101 for awhile, can't say I've seen OM doing that.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Remember how annoyed AI got when a bunch of Japanese stuff was posted in here?

Remember how annoyed AI got when a bunch of Japanese stuff was posted in its own special thread?

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

A3th3r posted:

Those Cars & Coffee events sound like they would be a pretty good time to go to

these are all awesome things

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

That's what the gently caress I'm talking about.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Thanks for the new desktop. :fap:

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

I just found the correlation to be kind of uncanny to trend hopping of the last 15 years.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Really looking forward to this race, thanks.

88h88 posted:

Remember how annoyed AI got when a bunch of Japanese stuff was posted in its own special thread?
If you mean the stance thread no I don't remember people getting upset, because I didn't have to read it, it was great :P

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I couldn't decide if A3th3r was literally 13 years old and severely dyslexic, or just stupid and bad at posting, or a low grade troll, or what. Then I hit the "show only posts by this user" and... :stonk:

A3th3r posted:

My dad checked the AZ Federal Magistrate Court records & apparently she had a bunch of other speeding tickets too, so we fought it out & got half of the damage to the car paid for by Allstate insurance. You know how you can 'probably' get away with going 5mph over the speedlimit [at your own risk of course]? Well she went like 20mph over -everywhere-. Her husband pulled out part of my engine bay with a hook that he had attached to his massive Chevy Silverado [i'm dead serious I documented it for the cops & the insurance claim], then they left. He wore a huge cowboy hat & cowboy boots with spurs..seriously who wears f-n spurs downtown.. pricks do! Did he think he was going horsebackriding later? Just imagine the Top40 blaring on the radio in that truck on the way home as they argued over the details of that [one of many documented] crashes. That ends the saga of that car, sadly. from then on I drove like a grandma, especially in parking lots.

Oh yeah, then I had the Honda towed to my friend russ's Performance Muffler shop to fix it [to junk the thing, as it turns out] and got on a plane back to Minnesota, to work at my company, LKP LLC. This happened around finals time in my scholarship biomed engineering studies at ASU Tempe. Wow, what a crazy semester that was. I managed to push out an A-average that semester also, which was really great & I was hardcore stoked on that :D

General Car Commentary edit:

Just thought of this while working at FlexTech Mgmt... You may imagine that there is a certain style of car that works for hardcore auto enthusiasts, the ones that like to -drive- not just get to work & back. Tight clutches, predictable power output and modifiability. The best cars for a car guy [mostly guys, lets be honest here] to modify are ones with solid stock internals. Thought of this at about the time my buddy Chris started his muffler shop.. Generally reliability used to be the mainstay of Toyota and Honda (especially in the 90's/2000's), since they took that over from GM & Chevy as American manufacturers' reliability ratings went into the shitter in the 80's. Nowadays in the 2010's I suppose BMWs, Hyundais & Subarus are taking that crown. You don't see many modified Saturns or Saabs out there, just sayin. That's because they are pieces of junk.

I dare you to follow the train of thought. I feel like I had a mild stroke right before reading this.

As for corn in the fridge he has been terrible-trolling this thread for a long time but sucking at it and I hope he runs out of toilet paper at a very inopportune time today. t:reject:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

88h88 posted:

Remember how annoyed AI got when a bunch of Japanese stuff was posted in here?

http://www.aerostich.com/sundry/mugs-posters-more/stickers-and-magnets/japan-nein.html

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
hey that Lamborghini is awesome almost as awesome as the swarthy man in short shorts that steeped out of it

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream

kastein posted:

I couldn't decide if A3th3r was literally 13 years old and severely dyslexic, or just stupid and bad at posting, or a low grade troll, or what. Then I hit the "show only posts by this user" and... :stonk:

I dare you to follow the train of thought. I feel like I had a mild stroke right before reading this.

As for corn in the fridge he has been terrible-trolling this thread for a long time but sucking at it and I hope he runs out of toilet paper at a very inopportune time today. t:reject:

Gee, Kastein, thanks for the random trolling & hatred, bro... uh.. I guess I apparently deserve it for some reason? Heaven forbid anyone tell a story about cars in an 'awesome car stuff' thread.........

In any case, I know this is going to irritate you since apparently you are a sourpuss but that is a nice Jeep you got there.

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?

gently caress all y'all haters, I will never stop loving bustleback Sevilles.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

A3th3r posted:

Gee, Kastein, thanks for the random trolling & hatred, bro... uh.. I guess I apparently deserve it for some reason? Heaven forbid anyone tell a story about cars in an 'awesome car stuff' thread.........

In any case, I know this is going to irritate you since apparently you are a sourpuss but that is a nice Jeep you got there.
Ok seriously what's with the laptop, cup of coffee, G+ thingy picture?

I get that we (meaning "most of AI" v. you, corn in the track, fridge day bro!, A5H, etc) have different taste in cars, and IoC obviously doesn't care since he let it back in here, but I still don't get that picture.

I like good coffee, but I don't think it's AI.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
if you think about it drinking coffee is like forced induction for the body (and soul) :cool:

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I like to think of it as that stuff they were spitting into the superchargers on mad max for my bowels

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Here, this is pretty AI:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The breakover angle of the 4 doors is terrible, he's probably stuck there now.

Should have got a 2 door, or girlfriend with B cups.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
Jesus it takes forever to write these things. Here's part two of my Concorso d'Eleganza Villa d'Este post

Let's start with a couple of the Sotheby's items, as appetizers. Fancy a Ferrari 212 Export Barchetta?

You can tell that it ran the Mille Miglia from two things:
  • its age
  • its number. Mille Miglia numbers were actually the car's starting time: this one started at 5:43 AM

Maybe a Ferrari 288 GTO is more your speed - a racing/rallying version of the Ferrari 308, like what the Porsche 959 was to the 911. Also like the Porsche 959, a very late Group B entrant that saw little action (in the case of the GTO in fact, I think the action was more like "none"):

Sadly not pictured, the car's distinctive hindquarters, with the transmission mounted so far back (because the engine was changed from a transverse to a longitudinal mount to make room for the turbos) it's visible right below the back bumper

Not for sale and actually participating in the concourse, a Lamborghini Countach LP400 (the first series, before it started growing skin tumors), eventual winner of the "Best preserved post-war car" prize:

Also in Class H ("How fast is fast enough – Mid and rear-engined supercars from the disco era". Honest, that's what they called it), a Ferrari Dino 206 S:

drat it's hard to find much information on this car. Super-rare apparently, and no clue why most of the production run seems to have been right-hand-drive

On its left, you can just make out the white flank of the Alitalia Lancia Stratos HF Gruppo 4, and on its right the McLaren M1A (serial number 20/01, the first of the production models manufactured by Elva), both of which Class H entrants we've already seen in my previous post. Further on the right, a Maserati Tipo 61 "Birdcage":

It's not hard to see how it got its nickname

Was it just standard practice to make two-seat race cars right-hand-drive, or what?

It was actually born as a Tipo 60 works car in rosso corsa, and it had a really long career, despite being somewhat unreliable. This is not its original American livery either: it was restored in 1977-1981 to its 1959 look. While "Camoradi" sounds Italian, it actually stands for "Casner Motor Racing Division", and this is why an Italian-sounding team name is painted on a car in American white-with-blue-stripe. Thanks Ultimatecarpage for the chassis number and Emanuele Pirro for the history (and Wikipedia for everything else)

By the way, thanks to Ultimatecarpage I could finally identify the Alitalia Stratos: it's chassis number 1580, it was initially raced in the 1976 Giro d'Italia Automobilistico (a crazy race between silhouette racing cars and rally cars - only in the 70s), and from the next year in several European rallies. It is currently just a pageant queen, touring concourses and looking pretty; the Alitalia livery isn't the original, either, because it was last raced in Pirelli black-red-white (she's had work done!). The license plate is TO N98792, and since it isn't carrying it, I guess it's no longer street legal, which ruins my fantasy of some billionaire driving a race-prepared Stratos down the highways to enter it in the concourse. Amusingly, the original front license plate is in the passenger door's pocket, which I've been told is standard practice because the front plate tends to meet a gruesome end if left attached during a rally race (in fact, a lot of rally cars had their registration number written in stickers - or even hand-written in black marker - on the hood or front bumper)

Other Class H entries (I admit I mostly ignored the other classes, like half the concourse was huge old Rolls Royce limos and I just couldn't get too excited for those):

Porsche 911 Carrera RS. So meh, compared with the competition, but I like the color

BMW M1. I love you baby, but face it, BMWs are out of their depth at an elegance concourse. On the other hand, since the event is owned by BMW, it was absolutely full of (non-participating) BMWs, like this BMW 2002tii:

Three generations of BMW M3s (1990, 1993, 2001), in road and track versions:

(E30, the first series, by far my favorite)

What is this thing, anyway?

This ALMS E46 has such a perfect behind:

Is this thing the same thing as the other thing, or is it another thing? (not the tow ring, I mean the other... thing)

But the BMW superstar was without a doubt the BMW Turbo, rare (one of only two) and fancy enough that it could have participated in the concourse:

It's hard to tell, but under the futuristic body it's "just" a 2002, like the orange beauty from before

I love the interiors, but that steering wheel could stand to be restored:

38 km on the odometer :eyepop:

(and the dinky Blaupunkt radio looks so decidedly non-futuristic)

How many photos did I take? Jesus. There's enough material for a couple more posts

hackbunny fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jun 9, 2015

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There is no car in the world I want more than a 288.

I don't care how fast it is/isn't, because with that engine note and body styling it's always going to be fast enough.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Powershift posted:

Best possible place to get high centered.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

hackbunny posted:

What is this thing, anyway?

Kinda looks like a fuel tester port.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Powershift posted:

That's what he gets for going wheelin' off marked trails in Grand Teton National Park.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

bennyfactor posted:

That's what he gets for going wheelin' off marked trails in Grand Teton National Park.

I'm sure that route is well travelled, and the growth of the bush sufficiently managed.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Brigdh posted:

Kinda looks like a fuel tester port.

air jack port.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Octopus Magic posted:

air jack port.

Yeah, I can see that (would explain the lack of cover), but on a BMW? Eh, ok.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Brigdh posted:

Isn't that E36 a genuine ADAC GT Cup car?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Brigdh posted:

It's a race car from a series that allowed air jacks, you'd be stupid not to use them.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Brigdh posted:

That is exactly what it is. Look at the guy at the back of the car in this video (view is obstructed first several seconds, just wait for it). Then watch the car POP up into the air with no jack-men.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIEzN-v9s4I

e:f,b 2x but I have video :colbert:

GentlemanofLeisure fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jun 9, 2015

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

That is exactly what it is. Look at the guy at the back of the car in this video (view is obstructed first several seconds, just wait for it). Then watch the car POP up into the air with no jack-men.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIEzN-v9s4I

e:f,b 2x but I have video :colbert:

Yeah, I'm familiar with what air jacks are and how they are used. I just don't have an encyclopedia of every conceivable race series in my head. Therefore I learned something today, happy?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Well, poo poo, I missed page 455.
Since no one posted the obvious choice, though:

:colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Rhyno posted:

I'm often torn when thinking about G-Bodies. A GN would be amazing but I knew a guy with a MC SS and he'd dropped a LS crate motor into it and it was suck a beast.

This one is pretty insane, but considering that it's got a Schwartz chassis and an LSX, I'm not sure if it still qualifies as a G-body.:

http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/88351-84-Monte-Carlo-SS-with-Schwartz-Performance-G-body-Chassis
http://s1193.photobucket.com/user/howebad/library/?sort=3&page=1

(He had it wrapped in Wrangler colors for an event.)
It made it into Popular Hot Rodding, and won at OUSCI, I think.
He's also building a similar El Camino.