Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Bholder posted:

The world design, dungeon design, encounters, cities.

There are also more interesting ideas thrown around in Fallout 3, even if the execution is not that great, like a town built around a grounded aircraft carrier orthe vaults you find...

I'm not entirely sure how the cities and general world design are better unless you just like seeing the DC set pieces. Like all of the cities in Fallout 3 have people who either are doing nothing or have been scavengers for hundreds of years to the point where it just feels like an area at some post apocalyptic themed Six Flags park. All of the cities practically exist inside their own wacky little bubble and only really poke out at the world that exists outside of it. In New Vegas, the world is far more connected than that and makes some sort of sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

The entire questline is totally invalidated right at the end, you're supposed to go into a radioactive room and push a button and die. This is patently retarded because there are both a ghoul (actually healed by radiation) and a robot companion but if you bring them they just give some bullshit "nuh uh you do it bithc" answer. The whole thing is so hamfisted and relies heavily on raw coincidence for it's deus ex machina BS. Frankly I've never actually seen anyone write that many words about it and now you've got me doing it and aaaaaaaaaaah

Don't forget the super mutant who has been established as being able to resist radiation is like NAH BRO THIS IS DESTINY.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

The entire questline is totally invalidated right at the end, you're supposed to go into a radioactive room and push a button and die. This is patently retarded because there are both a ghoul (actually healed by radiation) and a robot companion but if you bring them they just give some bullshit "nuh uh you do it bithc" answer. The whole thing is so hamfisted and relies heavily on raw coincidence for it's deus ex machina BS. Frankly I've never actually seen anyone write that many words about it and now you've got me doing it and aaaaaaaaaaah

I remember playing it for the first time with Fawkes (the super mutant, immune to radiation) right there with me, and going "what the everliving gently caress", when I found out the game wanted me to commit suicide. I also remember my reaction being along the lines of Eric Cartman's "screw you guys, I'm going home" and rage quitting. I only went back to the main quest when they released Broken Steel, and I ended up nuking BoS out of spite.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

mackintosh posted:

I remember playing it for the first time with Fawkes (the super mutant, immune to radiation) right there with me, and going "what the everliving gently caress", when I found out the game wanted me to commit suicide. I also remember my reaction being along the lines of Eric Cartman's "screw you guys, I'm going home" and rage quitting. I only went back to the main quest when they released Broken Steel, and I ended up nuking BoS out of spite.

You can make Lyons press the button, no?

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Yeah but if I recall, Ron Perlman calls you a huge coward for not pointlessly killing yourself.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Rinkles posted:

You could. But Bethesda will then still have the last laugh.
No one wants to hear Ron Perlman be disappointed in you.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

You can just stand there picking your nose and get admonished in the "neutral" ending, which is always a nice change of pace.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The stupid thing is, with Broken Steel you can actually ask Fawkes, Charon or RL-3 to go into the chamber and input the code because they're immune to radiation. But the ending still calls you a coward because you... did the sensible thing and asked one of three companions immune to radiation to do something that wouldn't even harm them and in some cases would actively heal them instead of stupidly going in head first and committing suicide.

Yeah, Bethesda didn't really think the ending through at all in Fallout 3 and put less thought into Broken Steel. Oh well at least the Liberty Prime setpiece was cool.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Mr. Fortitude posted:

But the ending still calls you a coward because you...
Because Bethesda didn't want to bring Perlman in to record just 1 or 2 lines.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Raygereio posted:

Because Bethesda didn't want to bring Perlman in to record just 1 or 2 lines.

They could just have omitted the coward lines and the "you gone and killed yourself, welp" lines and it would have made more sense. But Bethesda were too lazy to actually edit the ending lines and stills accordingly.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The stupid thing is, with Broken Steel you can actually ask Fawkes, Charon or RL-3 to go into the chamber and input the code because they're immune to radiation. But the ending still calls you a coward because you... did the sensible thing and asked one of three companions immune to radiation to do something that wouldn't even harm them and in some cases would actively heal them instead of stupidly going in head first and committing suicide.

Yeah, Bethesda didn't really think the ending through at all in Fallout 3 and put less thought into Broken Steel. Oh well at least the Liberty Prime setpiece was cool.

I didn't even know about this poo poo the first time I played so I loaded an old save, went back and got a radiation proof follower, then....yeah. t:mad: Bethesda writers.

shitting stars
Jun 11, 2008

quote:

everything looks like a brightly coloured toy world so thats pretty worrying up front

I'm like 40 pages behind since this thread moves fast, but all the complaining about the game looking too bright and colorful just reminds me of the howling that was on this forum (and everwhere else) when Diablo 3 was first unveiled.

http://www.diablowiki.net/Art_controversy

Especially that screenshot that, oh my god, has a rainbow.

Diablo 3 ended up looking great, and I am sure Fallout 4 will as well once you see the entire art direction.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
To be honest, I haven't even heard that many complaints about the game's usage of primary colors. I guess most of the people that were angry about that vented during the New Vegas days.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9

Volkerball posted:

Blitzball kicked rear end tho

I shamelessly endorse this sentiment.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
The ending for 3 worked for me because I don't like playing with companions so of course it was down to me. Didn't someone earlier in the thread mention that companions were added really late in development and after the ending had been done? I don't know if laziness or stupidity is a worse reason though.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

catlord posted:

The ending for 3 worked for me because I don't like playing with companions so of course it was down to me.

Same, companions are silly, and so I never really noticed. I was much more upset that the story was essentially "this guy escaped from a vault like 7 in-game days ago, but he still manages to heroically save everyone." It honestly would have been a lot more fun if you just got to watch the science people go about their job while you just fend off Enclave/Mutants, etc.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

PittTheElder posted:

It honestly would have been a lot more fun if you just got to watch the science people go about their job while you just fend off Enclave/Mutants, etc.

what??

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

PittTheElder posted:

It honestly would have been a lot more fun if you just got to watch the science people go about their job while you just fend off Enclave/Mutants, etc.

So despite the fact that your character can specialize in multiple technical skills, including a field literally called "science" you assume that the player is COOL SHOOTY HERO and doesn't identify at all with those lame-o nerds using big words.

Are you a Bethesda writer?

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Chomp8645 posted:

So despite the fact that your character can specialize in multiple technical skills, including a field literally called "science" you assume that the player is COOL SHOOTY HERO and doesn't identify at all with those lame-o nerds using big words.

Chomp tell me have you ever played any of the Fallout games using INT as a dump stat?

I'm genuinely curious because aside from FO3, having a low INT makes for some of the most hilarious playthroughs ever.

Like killing the Bunny Hunter for Eddie at the NCRCF, or buying plants from Dr Usanagi

khy fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jun 9, 2015

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Might as well put this in here, Chris Avellone has left Obsidian to pursue new projects http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-06-09-chris-avellone-leaves-obsidian-entertainment

I wonder how this will affect Obsidian in the future if they ever do work on a new Fallout game.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Judge Tesla posted:

Might as well put this in here, Chris Avellone has left Obsidian to pursue new projects http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-06-09-chris-avellone-leaves-obsidian-entertainment

I wonder how this will affect Obsidian in the future if they ever do work on a new Fallout game.

hoping for reduced amount of pretentious infodumps

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Judge Tesla posted:

I thought he just wrote a couple NPCs in NV since Josh Sawyer was project lead?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

khy posted:

Chomp tell me have you ever played any of the Fallout games using INT as a dump stat?

I'm genuinely curious because aside from FO3, having a low INT makes for some of the most hilarious playthroughs ever.

Like killing the Bunny Hunter for Eddie at the NCRCF, or buying plants from Dr Usanagi

Arcanum did it better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHSwvbvE9WU

The problem with low int in fallout is nobody really reacts any differently. Like telling the guy you make pizza and not war just goes on with the usual dialogue.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

I thought he just wrote a couple NPCs in NV since Josh Sawyer was project lead?

He wrote Cass, some Mojave Outpost NPCs, Lanius, Dead Money, Lonesome Road and a chunk of Old World Blues. I'll miss him if Obsidian get another Fallout :smith:

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Azhais posted:

Arcanum did it better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHSwvbvE9WU

The problem with low int in fallout is nobody really reacts any differently. Like telling the guy you make pizza and not war just goes on with the usual dialogue.

Earlier games that had no voice acting did it better. Search for 'Torr Buckner' for a good example.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Chomp8645 posted:

I actually had intended to put a disclaimer in there about 'something else if you're a science heavy type', but I don't know what the gently caress that would be in a game that is fundamentally about blasting your way through wave after wave of enemies. Fallout is an FPS now, at the beginning, middle and end.

What I really want is a game where the day is saved and everything is fixed, but that that solution didn't completely rely on you. You can help, or hinder to the point of preventing perhaps, but you should be clearly part of a larger whole, rather than the one person everyone seems to count on for no reason.

Best part of Fallout 3 is when you run into the Brotherhood on the way to GNR, they cut through a ton of mutants and basically tell you to gently caress off. The worst part is when that just turns out to be setup for a boss you're supposed to kill.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

PittTheElder posted:

What I really want is a game where the day is saved and everything is fixed, but that that solution didn't completely rely on you. You can help, or hinder to the point of preventing perhaps, but you should be clearly part of a larger whole, rather than the one person everyone seems to count on for no reason.

This part I'm on board with. Games is general go so far in making the player so central to everything that it comes as off as obnoxious. More games could do with the player just feeling like an actor in the world instead of the center of the good drat universe.

Just another reason Witcher games rock.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

PittTheElder posted:

I actually had intended to put a disclaimer in there about 'something else if you're a science heavy type', but I don't know what the gently caress that would be in a game that is fundamentally about blasting your way through wave after wave of enemies. Fallout is an FPS now, at the beginning, middle and end.

That's why you build robots to blast enemies for you. Thanks, robco certified mod.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

PittTheElder posted:

Best part of Fallout 3 is when you run into the Brotherhood on the way to GNR, they cut through a ton of mutants and basically tell you to gently caress off. The worst part is when that just turns out to be setup for a boss you're supposed to kill.

I found out the hard way that if you discover your dad went to Vault 112 before you discover he went to GNR it just skips the whole "find Three Dog" quest, which also means the BOS aren't fighting the Super Mutants in the area around the building leaving the entire task up to you, including the boss fight you now get to do with only whatever surviving guards you find infront of the GNR. Fun!

Fortunatly it turns out the boss can't fit through the door of a nearby building and has no ranged attack so you can just cheese the hell out of the fight.

e: quoted right post

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jun 10, 2015

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Judge Tesla posted:

less loving Lonesome Road type railroading

e: also less Dead Money which is too bad because DM is the best FNV DLC

Commissar Of Doom
Apr 21, 2009

Judge Tesla posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31g0YE61PLQ

khy
Aug 15, 2005

If they put a dust storm of the size and intensity of the one in Mad Max into Fallout 4, it will be Game of the Year every year for the next decade. When I watched Fury Road I couldn't help but think "God drat New Vegas would rule if it had storms like this"

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

khy posted:

If they put a dust storm of the size and intensity of the one in Mad Max into Fallout 4, it will be Game of the Year every year for the next decade. When I watched Fury Road I couldn't help but think "God drat New Vegas would rule if it had storms like this"

Install Nevada Skies, it has dust storms, rad storms, thunderstorms, and you can set it to the "Apocalypse" preset if you really want it to go nuts.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

SRM posted:

Install Nevada Skies, it has dust storms, rad storms, thunderstorms, and you can set it to the "Apocalypse" preset if you really want it to go nuts.

I installed that mod and it was annoying as gently caress.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

khy posted:

All of Fury Road is great but you know in your heart anything Bethesda takes from it will be hamfisted in and :mediocre: at best.

e: Bethesda basically doesn't have what it takes to just say gently caress it and throw a bunch of dudes with war drums on the back of a truck and some dude hanging from bungee cords rocking away on the front. It's absolutely stupid and yet in the movie it's wonderful because why wouldn't the leader of a bunch of post nuclear road warriors have that?

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jun 10, 2015

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So has anything concrete come out about No Lady Wanderer? Or are all the people getting bent out of shape doing it because of that one random reddit post?

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

So has anything concrete come out about No Lady Wanderer? Or are all the people getting bent out of shape doing it because of that one random reddit post?

The other, actually more credible leak completely condraticts it, not to mention that one reddit post came out the same time the fake Fallout 4 reveal happened.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

twistedmentat posted:

There were leaked scripts for a female lead before that reddit post happened.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

khy posted:

You know in your heart which game will be the only one that has this. Actually, it's going to be funny if Fallout 4 comes out this year and has competition it can't beat from Batman: Fury Road. Why wouldn't you want to have a car that can run over garbage weak rear end Raiders that try to take on you and your sweet murder machine?

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jun 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

khy posted:

The low INT silliness gets played, but there's a lot of value in playing a high intelligence character in New Vegas.

During the mission in which you interrogate the Legion member, you can speak Latin and scare the poo poo out of him.

• Locked thread