Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there any reason other than cosmetics to use various white weapons? I see no stats difference between Moldy Old Sword, Basic Sword, Acid-Addled Blade, for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What can one do with animal skins?

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof

Nietzschean posted:

Is there any reason other than cosmetics to use various white weapons? I see no stats difference between Moldy Old Sword, Basic Sword, Acid-Addled Blade, for example.

If i had to guess it's because it makes sense given where you loot them. You wouldnt find a fresh new sword on an acid spider, itd be rotted through with acid and poo poo. Same with the skeletons where all their clothes and weapons are old and moldy.

Also the catlady in Eltibule will teach you Tanning to turn your skin into strips and then you can ask what to do with the strips because I have no idea.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tanners posted:

If i had to guess it's because it makes sense given where you loot them. You wouldnt find a fresh new sword on an acid spider, itd be rotted through with acid and poo poo. Same with the skeletons where all their clothes and weapons are old and moldy.

Also the catlady in Eltibule will teach you Tanning to turn your skin into strips and then you can ask what to do with the strips because I have no idea.

The obvious goal here is that after jumping through some number of steps and additional skills you wind up with the ability to create armor and dildos from having slaughtered enough wolves. Could be that it's just not yet implemented?

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof

Nietzschean posted:

The obvious goal here is that after jumping through some number of steps and additional skills you wind up with the ability to create armor and dildos from having slaughtered enough wolves. Could be that it's just not yet implemented?

I believe it is, however I just dont know how crafting works.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Aesthetically this game feels a lot like Morrowind and Ultima Online had a fanfiction liaison and this is the resultant spawn. But to really capture the feeling of UO, it needs worthwhile crafting. I want to be able to require no more than basic combat proficiency to get to the things I need to make a great set of armour or a sword with a custom name because it's masterwork, and so on. So far as I can tell, crafting if it even really exists is gated behind a lot of combat before you can even be offered to learn the skills.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

You learn leatherworking from the same lady who teaches tanning, just become friends with her by doing her quests and giving her gifts.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Most of the crafting doesn't require combat. Leather is the one that does. Most animals are selfish won't willingly give you their skin without a fight. As others have mentioned, Kleave in Eltibule is the cat lady you need to get to know for better recipes and training. Fortunately, she likes skins so you can dump all your extra stuff on her for favor points.

Now that the Unity 5 patch is up and live, I need to seriously redo my graphics settings. The armors I've dyed are so bright that it almost hurts my eyes. Guess that's what I get for playing on a laptop with an unimpressive GPU.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I am looking forward to no longer running the opposite direction when I tab-select + attack-hotkey a thing. Fingers crossed! As a little bonus, if you started a Hang Out activity just prior to the reset it finished instantly once the server was back up, even if it was something like a 4-hour activity.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

Project Gorgon posted:

Fixed the following issues:
Fixed a bug that gave Insane Matriarchs insane loot
Fixed broken timer on snake chest in wolf cave

It looks like the Wolf Cave no longer shits level 50 purples all over people anymore. This is a sad day, but inevitable. My only regret is that I didn't farm it enough before the fixes to get a full set of good gear. I guess I can cross that off my to-do list. Now I have to figure out how to make enchanted leather poo poo and figure out oils.

Edit: Corrected notes

Inimicul fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jun 8, 2015

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Do trade windows work yet? That was on my list of Reasons To Take A Gorgon Break, along with other things I can't remember right now so maybe they weren't that important. :saddowns:

I like giving/selling stuff to random people but the honor system or having to meet in a back alley somewhere was getting kinda old.

EDIT: Hopped on to check out the new engine once the update downloaded, and dang. :aaa:

EDIT2: Granted, the colors (especially those blue rooftops) are almost hurting my eyes, but still. I don't remember the player spider model having that much texture.

mushroom_spore fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jun 8, 2015

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
I haven't seen anything about trade being put in yet but I've also only ever found one person who wanted money for something. There seems to be a lot of drop gifting and secret santa stuff going on around the Serb well.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That has also been my experience. I asked a question about cooking or favor or something one day, and the player Dyn decided to take an hour to explain to me some of the most time-efficient grinds for the NPCs that I cared about raising favor. He also spent that hour killing pigs with me so that I could make Joeh my soulmate. The general feeling is one of a small, tightly connected community where everyone just helps each other because.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:(

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
I've been doing a lot of favor for Rita and Blanche lately. I'm curious to see if Rita offers another sex hangout at higher favor levels and if Blanche ever puts out.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Oh, I know people are pretty free with gear, I mostly meant like...selling cotton stacks and stuff, if that's still even a thing. :) Also I remember at least one incident of someone doing a drive-by and taking items during a trade, which is the other reason I'd really like working windows. It may not happen often, but it's still annoying to have to work around.

EDIT: Also, does anyone remember where drums come from, or have one they'd be willing to briefly lend me? I want to test something. :science: (Although it looks like that may not be possible at the moment, I'm seeing reports of Serbule being massively broken and that's where all my characters are.)

mushroom_spore fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jun 8, 2015

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mushroom_spore posted:

Oh, I know people are pretty free with gear, I mostly meant like...selling cotton stacks and stuff, if that's still even a thing. :) Also I remember at least one incident of someone doing a drive-by and taking items during a trade, which is the other reason I'd really like working windows. It may not happen often, but it's still annoying to have to work around.

EDIT: Also, does anyone remember where drums come from, or have one they'd be willing to briefly lend me? I want to test something. :science: (Although it looks like that may not be possible at the moment, I'm seeing reports of Serbule being massively broken and that's where all my characters are.)

Serbule is fixed now. I can lend you a drum. Character name?

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Nietzschean posted:

Serbule is fixed now. I can lend you a drum. Character name?

Thanks! I'm on as Scuttle, just wandered into Eltibule but I can put on my sprint ring and scoot back.

EDIT: Thanks again. :buddy: So yep, confirmed animals can't use any instruments, which is a bummer. Spider should be able to drum though, since they literally do drum on things in real life. :3:

mushroom_spore fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jun 9, 2015

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

mushroom_spore posted:

Thanks! I'm on as Scuttle, just wandered into Eltibule but I can put on my sprint ring and scoot back.

EDIT: Thanks again. :buddy: So yep, confirmed animals can't use any instruments, which is a bummer. Spider should be able to drum though, since they literally do drum on things in real life. :3:

File a bug report. :v:

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Angela Christine posted:

File a bug report. :v:

:downsrim:

I really do hope animals playing music becomes a thing, it's as surreal as anything else in this game.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

mushroom_spore posted:

:downsrim:

I really do hope animals playing music becomes a thing, it's as surreal as anything else in this game.

Polka cows, go!

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There is a lot of talk on the Project Gorgon forums about an upcoming conversion from free-to-play alpha to a Steam Early Access one-time buy to play, and it really puts a damper on my desire to continue playing. I love the game, and it has several really amazing aspects that I think would be great in a fully released game; for example, the very first gear with modifiers is available as random drops in the tutorial dungeon, and these modifiers meaningfully augment or modify the behavior of abilities in a way that most games do not have at all or until late game raid gear. This is a great game, a great idea for a game, and the overall feel is awesome! I can say the same thing about every single one of the Early Access games I've purchased on Steam to date as well; and, I can also say that every single one of them has been a waste of money since the project inevitably collapsed without leaving alpha. I want this game to be good; I want it to be released; and, in theory I understand that's the point of alpha donations or purchases. But this is a one-man show, like Dwarf Fortress, and I'm betting on him actually completing his grand work at some indeterminate point in the future before dying or losing interest. I am so torn here. Help assuage my Early Access blues goons.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
guide to early access buying:

- don't

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
I watched the video they made for the upcoming drive and noticed that he's making this with his wife. That means at some point they had the conversation about Blanche, Rita, leather parties, two dicks, and the destruction of the elf city. They're all in game so she must have said "Great idea!" If there's a cash shop, I'm sure it will be well stocked with "elf themed" gear that's NWS. I can't wait to buy a two-dick strap on painted like bees.

It looks like they've had two failed kickstarters and one unsuccessful Steam greenlight over the past couple years. Somehow, the game is still alive. If this game only had a donate button like P1999 I'd be fine with that.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Nietzschean posted:

There is a lot of talk on the Project Gorgon forums about an upcoming conversion from free-to-play alpha to a Steam Early Access one-time buy to play, and :words:

Is it confirmed 100% that this is the plan? I don't follow those forums but I know he's floated other funding ideas in the past, like donations or a small monthly subscription fee.

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jun 9, 2015

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Nietzschean posted:

There is a lot of talk on the Project Gorgon forums about an upcoming conversion from free-to-play alpha to a Steam Early Access one-time buy to play, and it really puts a damper on my desire to continue playing. (snip) I can say the same thing about every single one of the Early Access games I've purchased on Steam to date as well; and, I can also say that every single one of them has been a waste of money since the project inevitably collapsed without leaving alpha.

I feel your pain, honestly. I bought Starbound. :v: Which was fun for a while, and still is when I just want to wander around and put on hats, but there's no denying it's still got flaws and the developers frequently seem overwhelmed, directionless, and confused.

However, we've BEEN playing Gorgon and I'm just not getting that feeling from this guy. He's obviously a big nerd, but he knows what, specifically, he intends to accomplish, and he's been working consistently towards doing that. He's also really reasonable about advice and suggestions. I'm still kind of impressed that I sent in "hey, it would really help if the mentalism wave icons color-matched with the health, etc. bars so you could more easily find the power you wanted in combat" and that was implemented almost immediately. It's a little thing, but it made a big difference to my sanity.

Considering the alpha so far, personally I'd feel comfortable throwing a reasonable B2P fee at it to help it continue. Or if nothing else, as a "thank you" for the fun I've already had. :toot:

Inimicul posted:

I watched the video they made for the upcoming drive and noticed that he's making this with his wife. That means at some point they had the conversation about Blanche, Rita, leather parties, two dicks, and the destruction of the elf city. They're all in game so she must have said "Great idea!"

At some point in the thread someone dug up a blog post where he discussed the creation process of the elves, and considering elf culture originally happened as a response to "wow, all the cheap/free elf placeholders I can find for my game are sexist as hell, I don't have it in me to treat this as unremarkable" this isn't terribly surprising. Gorgon elves are perverted and funny without being sexist (the men are bisexual, half-dressed, and having sexy parties too), and that's pretty nice after years of lovely MMOs. I've grown to like them for that reason and every other woman I've introduced to Gorgon has gotten a kick out of them too.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Is it confirmed 100% that this is the plan? I don't follow those forums but I know he's floated other funding ideas in the past, like donations or a small monthly subscription from ee.

I haven't been able to find anything after briefly browsing around, but I hope B2P ends up being the final choice. Aside from the fact that I personally don't pay subs anymore and am therefore biased, P2P business models have been failing pretty regularly even with giant budgets and brand recognition (hi, TESO), neither of which Project Gorgon has.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

mushroom_spore posted:

He's obviously a big nerd, but he knows what, specifically, he intends to accomplish, and he's been working consistently towards doing that.

Anyone who doubts he's a nerd just needs to watch this and listen to his voice:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Etgm6S3VLYQ
:spergin: :spergin: :spergin: :spergin: :spergin: :spergin: :spergin: :spergin: :spergin: :spergin: :spergin: :spergin: :spergin: :spergin: :spergin: :spergin: :spergin: :spergin:

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Inimicul posted:

Anyone who doubts he's a nerd just needs to watch this and listen to his voice:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Etgm6S3VLYQ
:spergin: :spergin: :spergin: :spergin: :spergin: :spergin: :spergin: :spergin: :spergin: :spergin: :spergin: :spergin: :spergin: :spergin: :spergin: :spergin: :spergin: :spergin:

Yyyeah as likable as he is in text and as a dev, his public speaking is terrible and mumbly and it's not surprising that the last kickstarter failed. Even in the PG forums people are falling all over themselves offering to revoice this video for free.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
An update re: the business model, from the kickstarter thread.

"I also wanted to clear up any confusion, we do plan on going buy to play with an optional VIP subscription. It's definitely not "pay to win", and the details will be released in the near future.

I understand many people want Project Gorgon to be free, and I understand that there are AAA titles going free to play. There are major differences between Project Gorgon and those other games. First, we don't need hundreds of thousands of players to survive. Many of those major titles do, that's why they open the flood gates to get people in game. 2) Generally, "Free 2 Play" is not truly free to play. Typically there are several pay gates to access the full features of the game, not to mention true pay to win cash shops. We don't want Project Gorgon to be that type of MMO. Pay one price and then play the game. The VIP is optional and does have beneficial features but you can definitely experience the game without it.

I know everyone is hungry for more information, and we'll be posting details soon. Stay tuned."

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I want to pay this guy for this already.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I don't even play this anymore and I want to pay for it, the time I had with it was a treasure and I have no doubt I'll be back someday.

Someone should make an over the top youtubey video to contrast with his mumbly video.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Nietzschean posted:

There is a lot of talk on the Project Gorgon forums about an upcoming conversion from free-to-play alpha to a Steam Early Access one-time buy to play, and it really puts a damper on my desire to continue playing. I love the game, and it has several really amazing aspects that I think would be great in a fully released game; for example, the very first gear with modifiers is available as random drops in the tutorial dungeon, and these modifiers meaningfully augment or modify the behavior of abilities in a way that most games do not have at all or until late game raid gear. This is a great game, a great idea for a game, and the overall feel is awesome! I can say the same thing about every single one of the Early Access games I've purchased on Steam to date as well; and, I can also say that every single one of them has been a waste of money since the project inevitably collapsed without leaving alpha. I want this game to be good; I want it to be released; and, in theory I understand that's the point of alpha donations or purchases. But this is a one-man show, like Dwarf Fortress, and I'm betting on him actually completing his grand work at some indeterminate point in the future before dying or losing interest. I am so torn here. Help assuage my Early Access blues goons.

If it comes out with a one time payment, don't consider the price in terms of the fun you hope to have in the future, but rather in terms of the fun you have already had. Is the fun you have had worth $$$? If so, pay and be happy. If not, quit playing the game. Easy.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i just played the unity5 version today and dang things are so pretty :pcgaming:

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

30.5 Days posted:

I don't even play this anymore and I want to pay for it, the time I had with it was a treasure and I have no doubt I'll be back someday.

Someone should make an over the top youtubey video to contrast with his mumbly video.

Hire whomever did the Starfleet Dental star citizen video and knock this out of the water.

Reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwjj4e1VRfc

wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!
Well, in regards to the new kickstarter video; I'm fairly certain Citan(Eric) isn't who voiced it over; which is ridiculous. Just hop to some point in this video:

https://d2pq0u4uni88oo.cloudfront.net/projects/1232630/video-432237-h264_high.mp4

That's him; as you can see from some googling. I think Silvonus voiced the latest video over (And likely directed or recorded all of it himself) and holy lord do I hope they scrap and start over anew with Unity 5 graphics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCWxEZ9mYQU

This is his first video diary of project gorgon. Way, way more listenable than that god-awful video they're "previewing"

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fGeG1bzhqs

They just need to use that video instead. I know it's not them, but it's way more entertaining.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Inimicul posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fGeG1bzhqs

They just need to use that video instead. I know it's not them, but it's way more entertaining.

Holy poo poo this video is so much better. It's amazing what narration with an ounce of enthusiasm can do, along with actually mentioning the things that make Gorgon awesome (combat psychology). I don't think the "official" video even touched on psychology or cows or anything, although I admit I skipped around instead of watching the whole thing because it was so insufferably dull. Instead, they talked about druids. loving hell, don't waste advertising time on druids, every fantasy MMO ever made has druids, why would you do this. :ughh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
in as Sirlind. no idea what I'm doing, but having fun :D