Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

http://store.steampowered.com/app/334772/

$2.99

sooooo I dont think there was actually a game patch yet right? so these were in the game files already?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Basticle posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/334772/

$2.99

sooooo I dont think there was actually a game patch yet right? so these were in the game files already?

Yep, I just bought it and nothing even downloaded. So it's just an unlock key for something that's been in the game all the time.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Poison Jam posted:

Are PS4 goons interested in having our own, better, race series? I have no problem creating the lobby and hosting if there's going to be a decent number of people regularly and myself and Az always seem to be playing at unsociable hours for us which would be about 8pm ET onwards.

I'm down. I'm CST. Maybe make a Google docs thing?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

njsykora posted:

Yep, I just bought it and nothing even downloaded. So it's just an unlock key for something that's been in the game all the time.

ugh this is so bad

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
DLC is out but there hasn't been a patch yet? Uggggghhh

I like the driving in this game a lot but this and all the unfixed bugs are seriously souring me on it

simble
May 11, 2004

Yeah... my precious bytes!!! If I don't have to download something why do I have to pay for it?!

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

simble posted:

Yeah... my precious bytes!!! If I don't have to download something why do I have to pay for it?!

This annoys me too. I don't mind paying for DLC that required extra work to be done, but this is just some more nickel-and-diming bullshit that's been ruining gaming since 2007. :saddowns:

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

If it were EA it'd be $20 for the pack, $3 isn't too bad for some fun cars.

Still, they should patch the poo poo before holding out their hands for more money. That's so scuzzy.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Or you could just not buy it?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I hate a thing!

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
I just want more old touring cars. Old Can-Am would be awesome as well. I could've sworn I read something about a forthcoming patch on some German site.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
GTR, C7.R, and Lambo GT3 cars would be dope

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Found it. No release date as far as I can tell.

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?29158-Project-CARS-All-Platforms-Upcoming-Patch-1-4-Release-notes

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

It's only taken about a month to maintain tire pressure when putting on new tires.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Basticle posted:

I just remembered I wont actually be home next sunday and the sunday after that is Father's Day so maybe this coming thursday for the next race?

Anyways :siren: a poll for the next event's cars :siren:

Close vote so far though the M1 is in last place amazingly

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
That's hosed up considering how awesome it is.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

So this DLC. Is it worth the $3? I mean, it looks okay-ish... despite patches not being top priority apparently.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
The fact that the AI cannot be constrained on wet tracks is part of why I've never cared about weather in racing games before.

The effects are executed perfectly in this game and it's very impressive visually (and changing weather conditions are awesome) but I wouldn't be surprised to learn they can't really fix the AI's cheating in the rain problem because making X number of rain physics calculations every sixth of a second (or whatever 30fps gets you) across the entire pack causes the game to chug even more than it does when it's just approximating the rest of the field's grip in the dry.

I suppose they'll just turn down the generic factor for AI grip in wetness number but the reality is there's no way they are doing individual physics calculations for the entirety of the field on varied road conditions.

It's why Forza AI always has 2 cars that are fast, 4 cars that are not going to trouble you but will keep up, and the rest of the field is terribly slow so they aren't all on the screen at once destroying framerates with minute calculations.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Not to downplay everyones complaints but personally I got this game (and forza before it) exclusively for the multiplayer so let me put on my leather driving gloves and deal with it shades.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I'm waiting on the patch before I buy dlc.

After losing 4 hours of race progress due to the loving setups never saving correctly, I needed a break.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
I had car setups rewriting themselves mid-session last night (first time I've seen that, it was just between sessions before). I was out running laps in practice after messing with setup, did Return to Pits to adjust according to tire temperatures, and everything reset to Default. Had that happen multiple times. Definitely annoying to have to redo the setup like seven times in a single racing event.

simble posted:

Not sure if the reply to this was carrying on :thejoke:, but if not that's funny.

If it wasn't: it would be especially dumb if you couldn't race against them w/o getting the DLC (particularly with regards to online with vehicles of the same class [assuming the DLC cars aren't significantly better within said class]).

hopterque posted:

That's hosed up considering how awesome it is.
Agreed. Throwing down a vote for the M1 Procar.

Ether Frenzy posted:

The effects are executed perfectly in this game and it's very impressive visually (and changing weather conditions are awesome) but I wouldn't be surprised to learn they can't really fix the AI's cheating in the rain problem because making X number of rain physics calculations every sixth of a second (or whatever 30fps gets you) across the entire pack causes the game to chug even more than it does when it's just approximating the rest of the field's grip in the dry.

I suppose they'll just turn down the generic factor for AI grip in wetness number but the reality is there's no way they are doing individual physics calculations for the entirety of the field on varied road conditions.
I don't know about perfectly: rain on the windshield/your face (open top cars) kind of looks bad; also, there's not even an attempt to make it look like it runs so water droplets remain perfectly stable on a car moving 150 MPH.

According to the patch notes, it should theoretically be fixed whenever the patch drops. Guess we'll see.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
I'm in the boat of "not paying for DLC until more basics are in". Yes, I understand fully that the people that would be working on the basics are likely different people that would be working on more car DLC, but it's a principle or something. Also, there's plenty of cars I have yet to even try in this game... it is too soon for more, in my opinion.

That's the only reason I voted for the Atom. I love Group A and the M1, but I've done a number of races in both already.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

voted atom for the hilarity factor

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
I have faith they'll patch it soon enough. I'm mostly playing online, so I haven't experienced or noticed too many bugs. I want the dlc, but it's not showing up in the NA PSN store.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

dog nougat posted:

I have faith they'll patch it soon enough. I'm mostly playing online, so I haven't experienced or noticed too many bugs. I want the dlc, but it's not showing up in the NA PSN store.

It isn't even so much the bugs, but the fact that there's a ton of obvious poo poo that racing titles should all have that they simply didn't implement. Multiple setups per track, the ability share setups with other users, a really easy way to pick your paintjob pre-race, a UI that gracefully handles triple monitor setups. There's plenty of other stuff, but those are the big ones that affect me the most.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still enjoying the game. But it's hard to not feel nickle and dimed by DLC that is just an unlock when the game isn't really "done" yet.

Has anyone confirmed whether or not you can race with people using DLC vehicles when you don't have access to them?

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Fair enough. I haven't really dug into the game all that deeply yet. I seriously doubt I'm going to be doing 4 hour races or anything that intense any time soon, if ever.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://www.gtplanet.net/project-ca...campaign=buffer

quote:

Currently no additional tracks have been released for Project Cars, but SMS have stated that we will see “an additional 12 unique locations consisting of road tracks, historic locations, modern circuits, and ovals.”

These Track Expansions will not just consist of the tracks alone, but will also contain appropriate vehicles so that “players will therefore get access to the most iconic, beautiful, and contemporary locations throughout the year that continue to represent a truly global snapshot of racing around the world.”

The first of these packs is scheduled for July and while no official details have been released about its content, it has been long rumoured that it will consist of five layouts of the Audi Ruapuna Park circuit in New Zealand and will be supported by three cars from Audi’s racing lineage. The Audi R18 E-Tron Quattro, Audi R8 LMP900 and Audi 90 IMSA GTO.

Also Group A is narrowly leading over the Atom and M1 right now.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Don't we already have the R18?

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

R18 TDI which is an older version (what the difference is i have no idea)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yes, more tracks all the time please.

They should also crank out fantasy tracks, rip off all the good ones that showed up in the Forza series over the years.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Basticle posted:

R18 TDI which is an older version (what the difference is i have no idea)

I think it lacks the electric motors on the front wheels that help acceleration out of corners.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

xzzy posted:

Yes, more tracks all the time please.

They should also crank out fantasy tracks, rip off all the good ones that showed up in the Forza series over the years.

However, for every Maple Valley we get, we must also get a Proving Grounds or maybe a New York Circuit. Such is the way of life.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The original Forza had some pretty cool custom tracks too, which were largely riffs on real world tracks they couldn't get licensing rights too. There was a fun Bathurst one, for example.

I'm not sure what Alpine Ring was based on but that was another enjoyable track.

Sunset Peninsula had a really good infield course too.

And then there was Camino Viejo. :allears:

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Ether Frenzy posted:

The fact that the AI cannot be constrained on wet tracks is part of why I've never cared about weather in racing games before.

It's why Forza AI always has 2 cars that are fast, 4 cars that are not going to trouble you but will keep up, and the rest of the field is terribly slow so they aren't all on the screen at once destroying framerates with minute calculations.

On the other hand, I don't think the physics for AI cars should matter that much. Sure, it ruins the single player fun, but in multiplayer every player's console/PC is doing the full physics calculations for only one car. And that's kinda the point of the game, right?

widespread posted:

So this DLC. Is it worth the $3? I mean, it looks okay-ish... despite patches not being top priority apparently.

I don't see how the patch isn't a top priority. It's not like they stopped working on the patch to bring you five DLC cars that were already on the disc. The developers seem to have worked hard to quash most major game-killing bugs, all in a reasonable time after launch. The current delay is due to bureaucracy – gone are the days of "welp guys here's patch.exe, download it and let us know how it goes".

But to answer the question, yeah the cars are cool and the pack is worth the money.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Hello Spaceman posted:

On the other hand, I don't think the physics for AI cars should matter that much. Sure, it ruins the single player fun, but in multiplayer every player's console/PC is doing the full physics calculations for only one car. And that's kinda the point of the game, right?

Except P-Cars has no matchmaking and it can often be very hard to find games with enough people to have a decent race. As much as I'd like to play mostly online it's way easier to just stick to AI cars.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

How about we try this:

Put your name down here if you play on PC and you are INTERESTED in playing in one of the time slots. This is to gauge how many folks we can get for what time slots - it's not an attendance sign-up sheet!

Basticle I'm assuming you'll head up the American times there? Can you put that in?

I'm figuring I'll start hosting the Asia-compatible slots not this week, but next week, the weekend of the 20th. We can run the same theme that Basticle sets (e.g. Clio Cup) throughout all the time slots. I'll run the time slots in Asia for 4 weeks as best I can to get a good gauge on attendance for the two times.

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jun 10, 2015

kaiwero
Aug 22, 2006

Poison Jam posted:

Are PS4 goons interested in having our own, better, race series? I have no problem creating the lobby and hosting if there's going to be a decent number of people regularly and myself and Az always seem to be playing at unsociable hours for us which would be about 8pm ET onwards.

I'd be keen too, although I'm in New Zealand so best days would be Fri / Sat your time, as 8pm ET is Midday the next day for me.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

I'd be up for some PS4 goon racing. I'm pretty bad as anyone who raced with me on 360 Forza will attest. UK based so how that will work with US & NZ players might be a challenge.

I snagged what looks like the last T300 in Europe yesterday from some sketchy Spanish website. "Next day delivery" has somehow turned into Monday according to UPS....still once I have the wheel it will be one less excuse for being bad.

Poison Jam
Mar 29, 2009

Shh...
We're being watched.

biglads posted:

I'd be up for some PS4 goon racing. I'm pretty bad as anyone who raced with me on 360 Forza will attest. UK based so how that will work with US & NZ players might be a challenge.

I snagged what looks like the last T300 in Europe yesterday from some sketchy Spanish website. "Next day delivery" has somehow turned into Monday according to UPS....still once I have the wheel it will be one less excuse for being bad.

gently caress you, I wanted that wheel! Have I got you on my friends list? Before I do a google doc (unless some kind soul wants to do that so the guy in massive withdrawals doesn't have to do anything) I wanna find out what cars to use. Formula Gulfs are a blast, M1 Procar is sex on wheels and I like GT3s. The only objection I have is to superkarts, gently caress those things I hate them.

Is there any news on if they'll improve replays with the first patch? I really want to see my battle with dirty frog at Spa last night from his perspective just so I can try to figure out why it was such a surprise for him when I went passed. loving great racing though :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

PSN = TerryFyeDeWerk

My wheel stand just arrived :) Perhaps I can lash the dualshock to it in some way while I wait for the wheel to turn up.

I've barely scratched the surface of this game yet, but I have found the Formula Gulfs to be good fun. For saloon cars, the Clio Cup seems to make for quite decent racing as well.

biglads fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jun 10, 2015

• Locked thread