Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ErIog posted:

To add to this, block granting would have just meant money from Medicaid getting shunted to filling budget holes caused by tax cuts to businesses and the rich instead of being spent on health care services.

Block grants would have killed hundreds of thousands of people. They were designed to be a back-end way to massively cut coverage, and coverage cuts kill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
I have a cousin who's a conservative pastor in SC. We don't talk politics, but we do talk, and I am going to try to find a way to innocently bring up whether he ever got approached by a campaign to do anything for them.

Will report back.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Voldemort? Pretty unfavorable.
Trump? Totally unfavorable.
But put them together? Voldemort/Trump the surprising power team; Voldemort runs on the crazy planks and Trump draws all the media heat. This team is money baby.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Rand Paul with MLK's niece in Baltimore tonight.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Joementum posted:

Alveda?

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

I must have missed Rick Scott's announcement.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine

Joementum posted:

He's spending so much time overcompensating he's never going to have time to actually speak to the base.

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

Carrasco posted:

I must have missed Rick Scott's announcement.

Not to mention Barack Obama's.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

Joementum posted:

Looks like he's stepping up his game in those matching pants.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Deep Hurting posted:

Not to mention Barack Obama's.

He was making a joke about Rick Scott looking like Voldemort, Obama is in there because it's a good baseline to compare people who are running for President, especially since Obama's popularity is I think, a it's lowest point since he took office.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Bernie Sanders: Less likable than Jaws; more likable than Hillary Clinton.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

De Nomolos posted:

He's spending so much time overcompensating he's never going to have time to actually speak to the base.

Alveda King is the base.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

ErIog posted:

Alveda King is the base.

For decades, the liberal camp has stirred up the emotions of the African American Community with reminders of our victimization from first slavery and then segregation and racism. Yet, in the midst of all our oppression, we have always managed to rise to the surface, and even ascend to the peaks of promise, stepping over the boulders of despair that would try to hold us back.

My grandfather, Dr. Martin Luther King, Sr. often quoted his mentor Dr. Benjamin E. Mays. During his lifetime, Dr. Mays was President of Morehouse College in Atlanta. Many of the men of our family, including Daddy AD King and Uncle ML King, like Granddaddy, are "Morehouse Men."

Dr. Mays would say: "No one can ride your back unless it is bent." Granddaddy always taught us to "stand up straight and walk tall because God is on our side."

When I hear Mrs. Senator Hillary Clinton or Mrs. Michelle Obama, or Al Sharpton, or other leading speakers stir up memories of racial unrest and oppression, even when they are pointing out the obvious current racial overtones and undertones that Blacks in America are still facing, I don't hear hope. They don't offer solutions, only more anger, pain and despair.

As a survivor of the 20th Century Race Wars, my back remains unbent, and I move forward for life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness for all who were created equal in God's eyes.

In my book “KING RULES,” I write about the "Beloved Community" our legacy embraces. I write about Acts 17:26, where we discover that the human race is born of "one blood." So we are not even "separate races." This reminds us that what Uncle ML said is true: "We must all learn to live together as brothers [and sisters] or perish as fools."

Please, someone, remind speakers like Mrs. Obama and Mrs. Clinton that the answer to racial strife and confusion, in fact to all human issues, will always be love and nonviolent conflict resolution.

Kitchen table issues affect the rich and the poor alike. How will we feed our families, how will we educate our children, how will we manage successful career strategies, how will we improve our quality of life? It doesn't matter how much we are able to pay for these benefits. The American Dream is that everyone will have some form of satisfaction, free from fear of danger, poverty and harm.

We still have a dream, The American Dream.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

This is a thing a GOP base would nod, forget, and then just post libtards online somewhere.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Trip Report!

Rick Santorum is mocked a lot. I can understand this with 1 Iowan showing up in Hamlin. 3 more showed up late, so in actuality it ended up being 4 Iowans. The headlines read better as 1 Iowan.

16 showed up at the Youth for Christ center in Hampton, Iowa tonight. This includes my girlfriend and I. Funny thing happened when we first showed up. We arrived about 3 minutes before him. While sitting in the car getting everything in order we saw his vehicle miss the turn. It was funny to watch them both look around confused about where they were going. It humanized him. I think this is a problem for some candidates.

He was very personable when he arrived. Sure there was only 16 people, but you know what. He shook everyone's hand and was real nice. I can say that maybe Walker and Perry have been the only candidates I've seen as good at the glad-hand. It works though.

He started his speech off with a general history of the Middle East and Islam. I know he left out some stuff pertaining to the Middle East that is important to what he was going to be talking about, but on the Islam front I'm not very knowledgeable. I will say this. The guy sounds like he knows things. I'm willing to bet he also knows the stuff he left out. Have to love the half truths.
-He is worried ISIS/ISIL is getting too big/growing too fast.
-Worried about China building man made islands in the South China Sea. He isn't he only candidate to say this and each wants to show military force or build our own islands in the area.
-Against EPA regulations due to it cutting manufacturing
-Wants to roll back most of the environmental regulations
-Wants a fair flat tax
-Wants a lower corporate tax rate
-Both can bring back manufacturing jobs

At this point he gave a bit of a pep talk. He said that it is okay that the campaign seems to be starting slow. This is how it was in 2012 and he doesn't have Romney to go through anymore.
-If he gets to Washington he doesn't want to blow things up, but fix existing things.
-He says one of the biggest things that influenced his thoughts on governing is when his district was redistricted into majority of democrat. At that point he thought he was going to lose so he could do whatever he thought was right. He will do this if President
-Thinks you do need to compromise and reach across the aisle and that this was a big lose the last few years. He bashes Obama and the left a lot though.

Q&A
-Healthcare. Wants to repeal all of Obamacare
-Thinks it is broken like the VA, but unlike VA can't be fixed
-Likes Health Savings account which he Invented. He also wants to expanded them
-TPP- He voted for trade promotion authority while in office and believes in it, but says top leaders in Congress or a few appointees should be involved in the agreements and they should be more transparent
-. Voted against NAFTA
-Obama is a tyrant though so is against this trade promotion authority
-Thinks the amnesty was unconstitutional and the president oversteps too often.
-He said difference between this and the other times where they the other amnesties came along with laws passed by Congress.
-He tip toes around calling for Obama to be impeached. Did say he should be sued and brought into hearings for the next 2 years because he is unconstitutional tyrant.
-Thinks Iran is up to fishy stuff. They have lots of oil for energy. Why do they need nuclear plants?
-He would demand Iran dismantle all nuclear or we sanction them even more.
-The biggest threat to the US, according to his retired CIA buddy, is an EMP delivered by an Iranian satellite or weather balloon. An audience member guess nuclear winter.
-Belieces Shi'a Islamic Fundamentalists from Iran are trying to usher in the 12th Imam I asked how this was any different from American's who believe we are living in end times or trying to unify Israel to begin the end times. He says it is different because those people are not in power and building nukes.
-said majority of Iraqis beliece the end of the world is within 5 years
-Syria is using chemical weapons again
-Says he will be more transparent.

-He doesn't want a war because he has a son in the military and knows how scary the thought is.
-Talked about abortion
-Talked about abortion, but never said he was pro-life, but did say that he understands the he is now in the minority with his belief and that culture does change.
-Gave a story about how the IRS bullied a campaign contributor for Romney after the 2012 election.
-Wants to double or triple the advisers in Iraq and arm the Kurds, Jordanians, and Egyptians.
-Thinks in hindsight not supporting Mubarak was bad move. Said evil that you know is better than evil that you don't (Sisi).
-Social Security- He thought this could be fixed back in the 00's by switching people after a certain birth year to personal SS accounts, but that is not viable anymore.
-Said how Reagan started a lot of the SS mess
-He asks if we know any solutions to fix it. I mentioned Graham's idea of screwing young people and Sander's idea of raising the FICA cap. He gave many reasons why that isn't feasible, unfortunately I didn't get a chance to say we could adjust all of that to go with the FICA cap. Example is amount of benefits received and how it isn't fair if you pay more, but get less. "Can't just stick it to the Rich!"
-Did have the interesting idea of tying the age of at which you start receiving SS to the life expectancy of the time. He didn't elaborate on the difference. Example right now expectancy is 85. He didn't say if SS benefits should start at 69, 75, 85, or higher.

That was it. He did talk very loud and nearly yelled while talking about radical Islamist. They seem to set him off. When he actually got into discussions that wasn't ranting about Islam, the left, or Obama the guy sounds smart. Like he actually knows his poo poo. He was the first candidate to talk about some of the history (excluding things or not) of why things are where they are and how policy shaping happens. He also was very one on one. Only 16 people probably helped that. I just wish the format could have been more debate like and we could have responded. Santorum is interesting to listen to. If I was a Republican he might be my candidate just because this was such a good experience.

I also got this really goony and terrible picture with him.

PS,
I know some of the stuff of why he is a shithead, but in person he really seems like a genuine nice guy. He either is or very good at acting.

I also remembered! He has a very good handshake. Strong and firm, but not over powering. It was a good handshake.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jun 10, 2015

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

You should've asked him where he got his boots.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Nonsense posted:

You should've asked him where he got his boots.

Ha! We laughed about those on the way home and don't understand why a ton of candidates wear them here. We have a wanna be cowboy thing in some parts, but work boots with mud and pig poo poo would be better.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

quote:

He isn't he only candidate to say this and each wants to show military force or build our own islands in the area.

what

Japan, maybe, but us?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
If Rick Santorum is so metal that he wants to build islands in the ocean to close the island-gap then I will vote for him. Can't let those reds have more islands than us!

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

How are u posted:

If Rick Santorum is so metal that he wants to build islands in the ocean to close the island-gap then I will vote for him. Can't let those reds have more islands than us!

Newt Gingrich was more metal. He wanted us to claim the moon. Screw building islands in the ocean on earth. Let's build a loving ocean on the moon.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Mr Hootington posted:

I also got this really goony and terrible picture with him.

Goldmine

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Mr Hootington posted:

-Belieces Shi'a Islamic Fundamentalists from Iran are trying to usher in the 12th Imam I asked how this was any different from American's who believe we are living in end times or trying to unify Israel to begin the end times. He says it is different because those people are not in power and building nukes.

Someone should tell him about the Air Force.

This was a great trip report, thank you!

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jan 22, 2016

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

ErIog posted:

Newt Gingrich was more metal. He wanted us to claim the moon. Screw building islands in the ocean on earth. Let's build a loving ocean on the moon.

gently caress that we'll build an ocean on moon and then build some islands and whole sovereignty despite around them. U! S! A! U! S! A!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Joementum posted:

Half-windsor, Rand? For shame.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
And here I was, thinking Jeb Bush might not be super dumb or a terrible person: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/09/jeb-bush-1995-book_n_7542964.html

RACHET
Dec 29, 2014

by exmarx

redreader posted:

And here I was, thinking Jeb Bush might not be super dumb or a terrible person: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/09/jeb-bush-1995-book_n_7542964.html

His last name is Bush

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

quote:

Bush's ideas about public shaming extended beyond unwed parents. He said American schools and the welfare system could use a healthy dose of shame as well. “For many, it is more shameful to work than to take public assistance -- that is how backward shame has become!” he wrote, adding that the juvenile criminal justice system also "seems to be lacking in humiliation."

:stare:
Jesus, he's worse than I thought. Bush/Arpaio 2016

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

redreader posted:

3 years after his dad's running mate got poo poo on for suggesting the same thing. I guess Jeb's strategy is reusing failed family talking points.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

quote:

He declined to veto a very controversial bill that required single mothers who did not know the identity of the father to publish their sexual histories in a newspaper before they could legally put their babies up for adoption.

haha what the gently caress

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Edmund Lava posted:

3 years after his dad's running mate got poo poo on for suggesting the same thing. I guess Jeb's strategy is reusing failed family talking points.

Yeah, and the party has moved rightward since then so this is actually a great story for him in terms of the primary. He might get a bump off this, and then he'll just pull a Romney if he gets the nomination.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

Half-windsor, Rand? For shame.

At least it's not a full Windsor.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

mooyashi posted:

haha what the gently caress

You know, I was gonna say, "This was in 1995, who gives a poo poo."

But, what the gently caress?!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Joementum posted:

The full clip of that Rubio discussion about hip hop is really worth watching too. He has to school Andrea when she says Biggie was West Coast!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJPgJICk5zQ

Too bad Kennedy had the day off. She never would have made that mistake.

I actually legitimately like this clip because he comes across as actually sincere in talking about something he really likes and actually knows a little about instead of trying to pander or talk about how much he loves country music ever since 9/11 or anything.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

redreader posted:

I love that this is from his book titled "Profiles in Character." In his defense it isn't titled "Profiles in Good Character."

Edit: Seriously though, this is some hosed up poo poo and if it doesn't sink his campaign I'll have lost a lot of respect for the American electorate.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jun 10, 2015

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
Here's an old article from when he also signed its repeal: http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/31/us/florida-scarlet-letter-law-is-repealed-by-gov-bush.html

I'm surprised I hadn't heard about this before, it does seem pretty hosed up. Was it one of those things that wasn't always enforced? Or was there a page of just adoption ads in local Florida newspapers?

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Mr Jaunts posted:

:stare:
Jesus, he's worse than I thought. Bush/Arpaio 2016

Holy mother loving god poo poo on a shingle, ok. :stonk:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Man, it might not bring him down in the Primary because Republican voters are shits, but that's going to hurt in the general. It also gives Hillary a strong opening to reinforce her appeal to women by reminding them how utterly poo poo the Republicans' views of women are.

Of course, after he bungled the Iraq question, there's a chance Jeb could bungle his immediate response to this too, making it a live issue much sooner.

Seriously, when people need a reminder what difference voting makes, point them to the guy who thinks unwed mothers need to be publicly shamed by law.

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

redreader posted:

Holy Scarlet Letter, Batman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Hahaha, I thought his actual argument was going to be protecting custodial rights of biological fathers. But he really does argue directly for publicly shaming unwed mothers.

• Locked thread