Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
e-bad gateway/double post :argh:

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jun 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
e: I'll check that out.

I actually found the app that I was thinking of, it was "Level Me Up!". The main differences in that and what I want are that I can take or leave the gamified aspects, and I want it to be a weekly, not lifetime thing.

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jun 8, 2015

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Kekekela posted:

e: I'll check that out.

I actually found the app that I was thinking of, it was "Level Me Up!". The main differences in that and what I want are that I can take or leave the gamified aspects, and I want it to be a weekly, not lifetime thing.

So a couple of questions because I'm intrigued. In your ideal app:

1. Hourly increments only, or also half/quarter/other?
2. What happens if you go over, e.g. you're at 9/10 hours on something and then work two more hours on it?
3. What happens at the end of a week? Does the task get archived? Kept open if you didn't meet the hours? Marked as "failed" or "unfinished"?

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Croc Monster posted:

So a couple of questions because I'm intrigued. In your ideal app:

1. Hourly increments only, or also half/quarter/other?
2. What happens if you go over, e.g. you're at 9/10 hours on something and then work two more hours on it?
3. What happens at the end of a week? Does the task get archived? Kept open if you didn't meet the hours? Marked as "failed" or "unfinished"?

1. Hourly is fine, quarter(15 minute increments) would probably be the minimum I'd actually make use of.
2. That's fine, it can give me a notification on hitting the target or whatever but going over or how far I go over isn't something I care about. I do want to be able to monitor progress though, so I could see that I was 25% of the way to my week's goal in a given area at a glance.
3. No tracking strictly necessary. I primarily just want to make sure I'm hitting a minimum threshold of hours-per-week for probably around three different areas. Storing the weekly totals per area and giving me ways to view history or see total hours per area over a given time range etc would be "nice to haves".

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jun 8, 2015

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Kekekela posted:

1. Hourly is fine, quarter(15 minute increments) would probably be the minimum I'd actually make use of.
2. That's fine, it can give me a notification on hitting the target or whatever but going over or how far I go over isn't something I care about.
3. No tracking strictly necessary. I primarily just want to make sure I'm hitting a minimum threshold of hours-per-week for probably around three different areas. Storing the weekly totals per area and giving me ways to view history or see total hours per area over a given time range etc would be "nice to haves".

Thanks for the response.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Croc Monster posted:

Thanks for the response.

Thanks for taking an interest! I edited my post to add that I need the opportunity to see how far along I am towards my weekly goal in a given area, which was probably implicit in what I'd already laid out but I figured I'd throw it out there anyway.

I can think of various bells and whistles that'd be cool but below is more or less the core of what I'm looking for: (I think)
code:
weekly allocations:
  software development - 40 hours
  guitar - 5 hours
Then I'd be able to use a start+end timer (ala 'Level Me Up!') and/or just enter time directly to allocate time to those buckets. I'd be able to tell pretty much at a glance how far along I was with everything, eg the main screen would display something like:

code:
software development - 20/40 (50%)
guitar - 1/5 (20%)

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

On a related topic, if any of you people practice an instrument seriously you should check out MusicJournal. You can keep track of individual items or groups of items by time spent, keep track of metronome settings, leave notes for yourself, etc... it makes graphs and stuff too.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Kekekela posted:

Thanks for taking an interest! I edited my post to add that I need the opportunity to see how far along I am towards my weekly goal in a given area, which was probably implicit in what I'd already laid out but I figured I'd throw it out there anyway.

I can think of various bells and whistles that'd be cool but below is more or less the core of what I'm looking for: (I think)
code:
weekly allocations:
  software development - 40 hours
  guitar - 5 hours
Then I'd be able to use a start+end timer (ala 'Level Me Up!') and/or just enter time directly to allocate time to those buckets. I'd be able to tell pretty much at a glance how far along I was with everything, eg the main screen would display something like:

code:
software development - 20/40 (50%)
guitar - 1/5 (20%)

Sending you a PM later, don't wanna clutter the thread :downs:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Not sure if better here or in general iPhone thread. Will contemplate crossposting.

I am trying the 14 day free trial of WALTR. It is a Mac App that you plug your phone into your mac and drag any of like, basically ANY file types to. (AVI, AC3, MKV, FLAC... whatever) and it kinda just quickly fills up a progress bar. (48 minute 720p TV show took like 15 seconds for me?) And then that file shows up in it's respective *NATIVE* app.

So MKV movies and tv shows... in "Videos".

Anything Audio... in "Music".

Here's why I'm bothering you: A single license is 30 bucks. I may loving do this. I have more money than time (or sense...) and I like improving my life. BUT, right now, a family license (5) is 80 bucks.
Divide 80 by 5. Carry the 1...
Math...
Math...
16 Rupees Dollars a person.

Much more palatable.

Anyone interested? I don't mind taking the lead. I do suggest you try the trial first. Make sure you like it.

http://softorino.com/waltr

Video: MKV & AVI (includes subtitle support: .srt & .rear end), MOV, MP4, M4V, 3GP, WMV;

Audio: MP3, FLAC, APE, ALAC, M4R, AAC, M4B, AIFF, WAV, WMA, CUE, OGG, OGA, WV, TTA, DFF;

*Experimental support: FLV, M2TS, TS;

PM me or username @ gmail if interested. :)

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Why this over VLC?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

noirstronaut posted:

Why this over VLC?

Simpler. Faster. Easier to upload to phone/tablet.
Supposedly native apps use less battery.
Also VLC'a most recent update removed AC3 audio support I believe leaving some of your content Audio-less?

I'm a big fan of VLC. This just seems easier and better.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Seeing as the beta is out for the Apple Music app redesign, does anyone know if it still makes you scroll through every single song in every single album for an artist? If it does that's going to completely kill my interest in signing up for the new service, because I'm still never going to be using their stock app for stuff if it's still that poorly designed.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

TheJoker138 posted:

Seeing as the beta is out for the Apple Music app redesign, does anyone know if it still makes you scroll through every single song in every single album for an artist? If it does that's going to completely kill my interest in signing up for the new service, because I'm still never going to be using their stock app for stuff if it's still that poorly designed.

Looks like yes

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

noirstronaut posted:

Looks like yes

Well then gently caress them and their new subscription service. If they can't even make their app functional I see no reason to give them money for the benefit of using it.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Picky is great :)

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

It's what I use right now, and it is awesome (except the dumb icon). I was hoping that I'd be able to go back to the stock app with this redesign though, because it has more features than Picky. But the one part that really needed an overhaul is the one thing they didn't touch for some reason.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
What major features? I guess needs (or desires) vary from person to person, but all I want my music app to do is organize and play my music.

Supgaiz
Jun 27, 2011

TheJoker138 posted:

I don't know how it works in 8.4, but in the beta for 9 viewing an artist seems to list all songs grouped by album if you have 3 or fewer albums by them. If you have 4 or more it just lists the albums.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

rear end Catchcum posted:

What major features? I guess needs (or desires) vary from person to person, but all I want my music app to do is organize and play my music.

iTunes radio stuff, genius, and now the Apple Music streaming crap.

Supgaiz posted:

I don't know how it works in 8.4, but in the beta for 9 viewing an artist seems to list all songs grouped by album if you have 3 or fewer albums by them. If you have 4 or more it just lists the albums.

If this is the case I can totally live with it.

Vince MechMahon fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jun 9, 2015

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Is it possible to shuffle by album in the stock music app?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Man, I wanted to like Outlook, I really did, but the quick rescheduling options suck and the badges don't seem to work for me. Back to Mailbox I guess.

slomomofo posted:

Is it possible to shuffle by album in the stock music app?

Yes. You click the shuffle icon next to an album.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
With Apple Music having a $14.99 family sharing option, what is there in place to stop me and four friends just splitting the cost of it amongst us and getting the full service for $3 a month? Does it require syncing to a singular PC with iTunes occasionally or something to prove it's a "family"?

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

tuyop posted:

Yes. You click the shuffle icon next to an album.

No, I mean shuffle all songs in a playlist by album, like I can on my iPod classic or in iTunes.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

slomomofo posted:

No, I mean shuffle all songs in a playlist by album, like I can on my iPod classic or in iTunes.

Oh, that's not an option. :(

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Question Mark Mound posted:

With Apple Music having a $14.99 family sharing option, what is there in place to stop me and four friends just splitting the cost of it amongst us and getting the full service for $3 a month? Does it require syncing to a singular PC with iTunes occasionally or something to prove it's a "family"?

I think you need to use that family feature where you all share the same credit card for purchases (including apps, music, etc.).

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Super Dude posted:

I think you need to use that family feature where you all share the same credit card for purchases (including apps, music, etc.).
Ah, makes sense. You'd really need to trust your friends not to be utter shitters then.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

tuyop posted:

Oh, that's not an option. :(

:argh: damnit Apple... thanks tuyop.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
the mcdonald's app does not work on ios 9

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Just one final followup to see if 2 more people want to get in on a 5 pack WALTR discount...

(Original post here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3668654&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=68#post446315658 )

We have 3 already...

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
What the gently caress do you need a McDonald's app for. The menu is on the wall when you go in there. They sell loving hamburgers.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

noirstronaut posted:

New Health app clamping down for you.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

What the gently caress do you need a McDonald's app for. The menu is on the wall when you go in there. They sell loving hamburgers.

the coupons. free large burger with any purchase. buy one get one medium or large iced coffee. free parfait with any purchase. if your local sports team wins a thing, they sometimes give out free nuggets.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Don't do it, man.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

What I'm sayin'

noirstronaut posted:

the coupons. free large burger with any purchase. buy one get one medium or large iced coffee. free parfait with any purchase. if your local sports team wins a thing, they sometimes give out free nuggets.

Oh...mcdonalds app you say...

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
I'm using this IFTTT recipe to send me an email every time a post with certain search terms shows up but for some reason I keep seeing a Trigger Timeout Error on the recipe page. It's still sending me an email every time something new comes up, but I want to know what's the deal with that error.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Since Apple Music will upload songs from your library that aren't matched, would it work effectively as a replacement for iTunes Match? The Apple Music help page says that Match and Music are independent but complimentary and will work together.

edit: I'm not huge into picking up lots of new music, but if the whole international iTunes library (I know there's some exceptions like The Beatles) is on there, I'd be very tempted to just fork out the monthly fee (please Apple do a real UK price conversion rate, not just $1=£1, the price is £6.47!) and listen to weird Finnish rock or Japanese hip-hop or whatever. I guess I'll find out whenever the 3-month free trial shows up. Shame it seems to require iTunes and doesn't just play through a web-browser as that'd make life a lot easier for listening to stuff in work or at a friend's place for a party.

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Jun 10, 2015

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Question Mark Mound posted:

Since Apple Music will upload songs from your library that aren't matched, would it work effectively as a replacement for iTunes Match? The Apple Music help page says that Match and Music are independent but complimentary and will work together.

The wording is confusing, but I believe Apple Music will do everything that Match does. I think Match is just being kept around for people who don't want to pay for Apple Music.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools
Is it just me or is Feedly a lot worse than it used to be? It hangs a lot, sticks when trying to scroll up and doesn't render sites that well when you click through. Is Reeder worth the cash/switch?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
We might be able to get real ad blockers in iOS now:
https://developer.apple.com/library...0014305-CH9-SW9

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

noirstronaut posted:

Sorry your beta software doesn't run everything perfectly yet.