Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Hey has anybody jammed a clumsy facsimile of the nemesis system from Shadow of Mordor into this yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Zeron posted:

Okay wow, so apparently mixing Bellyaches New Dragon Species and ASIS is a very bad thing to do! Every fight I get into with a dragon there are 2 or more right beside them. It'd be kind of fun late game but...not yet.

You can add it to ASIS' exclusion list.

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

axolotl farmer posted:

I guess it's a SPERG thing, but do locks belong to the Thieves Guild now?

doing the cave crawl with Karliah and Mercer Frey aka Team Leroy Jenkins. if I bash open a lock I get a bounty for assaulting a guild member and both Karliah and Mercer turn hostile.

I've had the same thing happen. Every now and then, bashing open a lock gives me a bounty and any followers I have turn on me. It doesn't have anything to do with the Thieves' Guild; it's just a bug with SPERG in general.

DayGloOreo
May 2, 2012

Fblthp had always hated crowds.

Also:

same modder posted:

Cassandra Wladyslava Mail: Cassandra.wladyslava@gmail.com – The voice, heart, and soul of Cassandra, The Seraphim Knight Commander. She also didn’t report me for asking her to make a maybe baby. Or she dropped all the charges, I don’t remember which but she gets credit for not sending me to Nexus Prison.

Hanaisse and Kisuke and Jac – Thank you for being patient with me over at the TES Alliance when I was asking for help trying to figure out how to feed my real life hamster using only script from the game as well as how to design an outfit for it in Blender.

Skyrim Mods Weekly – These videos entertain me almost as good as the local strippers (Caramel Thunder don’t give me that look. I’m not saying his videos are as good as your twerkin babeh (they kinda are though cause they are good (Caramel Thunder forgive me!))) and I’m talking the weekend squad, not the Tuesday/Wednesday line up. Thank you good sir.

Some Staff Person – I won’t be specific because you know who you are, but you constantly answer my questions and you only blocked me twice… 3 times? Anyway, you always take me off of block and answer my questions no matter how ridiculous or baby killer whale related they tend to be. And you answer the ones relevant to the site stuff too so thanks for all that.

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Stop being such goons, you CLODS!

Well, after a few months of successfully modding the crap out of my game and fixing any problem I've come across and squashing any bugs, I finally need some help.

I'm finally getting to the point where going outside into the wilderness outside of cities reduces my framerate to 8 - 10 and then gives me a CTD. I'm on low settings, have ENBoost, have the memory fix in the SKSE ini, don't have any texture packs or graphics enhancements, or anything that would typically overload a graphics card. But, I'm starting to think that my 1GB video card just can't handle the game with a little over 200 mods loaded. I've tried merging esp's together using Wrye Bash, but while it detects my entire load order, I guess none of them are compatible since no merges are made in the bashed patch. My computer should be plenty powerful enough to handle the game, and the only instability is in leaving a city, the framerate drops and then the game quietly crashes. No error messages in the SKSE log, either.

ENBoost seems to force the game into Full Screen, and changing the launcher options, enblocal, or skyrim's prefs does nothing to change that. The game just seems to be stuck in full screen without any noticeable resolution changes when I try to switch them. So that's out.

First loading my save file takes about 20 minutes, and dying and reloading takes longer. Load screens after the initial load are 30 to 60 seconds.

I tried to look up if there's something I should do to try and merge mods together but I got results saying that Wrye Bash is supposed to do it for me or not to bother otherwise because it corrupts mods / save files. What I'm wondering is if I should just wait until I get my new graphics card and power supply in, or if there's some other solution.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

:negative:

I didn't need to read that. Nobody did, really, but you posted it anyway. (I would've posted it too)

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Cartoon Violence posted:

Well, after a few months of successfully modding the crap out of my game and fixing any problem I've come across and squashing any bugs, I finally need some help.

I'm finally getting to the point where going outside into the wilderness outside of cities reduces my framerate to 8 - 10 and then gives me a CTD. I'm on low settings, have ENBoost, have the memory fix in the SKSE ini, don't have any texture packs or graphics enhancements, or anything that would typically overload a graphics card. But, I'm starting to think that my 1GB video card just can't handle the game with a little over 200 mods loaded. I've tried merging esp's together using Wrye Bash, but while it detects my entire load order, I guess none of them are compatible since no merges are made in the bashed patch. My computer should be plenty powerful enough to handle the game, and the only instability is in leaving a city, the framerate drops and then the game quietly crashes. No error messages in the SKSE log, either.

ENBoost seems to force the game into Full Screen, and changing the launcher options, enblocal, or skyrim's prefs does nothing to change that. The game just seems to be stuck in full screen without any noticeable resolution changes when I try to switch them. So that's out.

First loading my save file takes about 20 minutes, and dying and reloading takes longer. Load screens after the initial load are 30 to 60 seconds.

I tried to look up if there's something I should do to try and merge mods together but I got results saying that Wrye Bash is supposed to do it for me or not to bother otherwise because it corrupts mods / save files. What I'm wondering is if I should just wait until I get my new graphics card and power supply in, or if there's some other solution.

Which troubleshooting mods do you have? Safety Load and the Sheson Fix are pretty essential. I've also just found and installed Stable uGridsToLoad because I was beginning to suffer similar problems (CTDs every few minutes, exacerbated outdoors and in forests especially) and the difference is night and day.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Safety Load is not needed anymore if you're using ENBBoost.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Gyshall posted:

Safety Load is not needed anymore if you're using ENBBoost.

It does seem odd that he's having the same problem Safety Load purports to fix, though - a 20 minute loading screen is functionally an infinite loading screen.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

It does seem odd that he's having the same problem Safety Load purports to fix, though - a 20 minute loading screen is functionally an infinite loading screen.

Yeah I'd go as far as to say it has been deprecated... the SKSE memory fix and ENBBoost and maybe even stable uGrids together should be sufficient for stability/maxx graphifxxx.

The Nexus has two really good guides on getting a rock-solid Skyrim install down with SKSE/ENBBoost, but the :nexus: is :nexus:ing itself right now.

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Hey, thanks so much for the fast replies, everyone! Even though Safety Load does what ENBoost is supposed to do, I'll include it for now unless it turns out to make things worse. I'll let everyone know what happens after putting both Safety Load and Stable uGrids in. I had forgotten to mention I was using SSME (at least the one from that link) as well before now. Let's cross our fingers and hope this turns out well!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
is there anything like CASM for Skyrim? I know Skyrim doesn't have the crashing problems of the Fallout games, but too often I'll forget to quicksave while wandering around the outdoors, get in a fight I can't handle, and bam my most recent autosave is from 40 minutes of walking ago. Or one that made quicksaves create multiple rotating slots even, I hate having to open the menu every time I want to have multiple saves.

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical

Skwirl posted:

is there anything like CASM for Skyrim? I know Skyrim doesn't have the crashing problems of the Fallout games, but too often I'll forget to quicksave while wandering around the outdoors, get in a fight I can't handle, and bam my most recent autosave is from 40 minutes of walking ago. Or one that made quicksaves create multiple rotating slots even, I hate having to open the menu every time I want to have multiple saves.

I use this AutoSave Manager. Not exactly the same, but after you set it up in the menu, it does the job. Note that it won't do much by default, so you do have to configure it, and there is a weird split-second graphical glitch when it saves. It's saved my bacon though - the option to save on leaving combat is super nice after difficult fights.

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Update on the CTD issue: Sadly, even with Stable uGrids and Safety Load, the game can't handle going into the wilderness, at least not outside Windhelm. It crashes every time I step down from the bridge, in fact. Without any error message that I can find, either my graphics card is making GBS threads itself due to the load of the mods on the game, or I somehow did something to bork my save file, though I can't determine what.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
CTDs tied to a specific spot - as random CTDs which seem concentrated in a general area but are still unpredictable - might mean one of your mods is breaking things pretty bad at that spot, somehow.

Do you get the same behavior approaching that area from another direction? When or where does it start? Finding that out will help you narrow down the potential culprits

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

CTDs tied to a specific spot - as random CTDs which seem concentrated in a general area but are still unpredictable - might mean one of your mods is breaking things pretty bad at that spot, somehow.

Do you get the same behavior approaching that area from another direction? When or where does it start? Finding that out will help you narrow down the potential culprits

This is very true. Look at anything that mods that area first.

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

Cartoon Violence posted:

Update on the CTD issue: Sadly, even with Stable uGrids and Safety Load, the game can't handle going into the wilderness, at least not outside Windhelm. It crashes every time I step down from the bridge, in fact. Without any error message that I can find, either my graphics card is making GBS threads itself due to the load of the mods on the game, or I somehow did something to bork my save file, though I can't determine what.

Dumb suggestion: I had this issue today (right outside wind too!), it crashed 4-5 times (never had a ctd, played a lot the past week), someone suggested a bugged save file might be it, and it worked for me

I'm probably dumb and it fixed itself regardless of the save file too possibly

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

NiftyBottle posted:

I use this AutoSave Manager. Not exactly the same, but after you set it up in the menu, it does the job. Note that it won't do much by default, so you do have to configure it, and there is a weird split-second graphical glitch when it saves. It's saved my bacon though - the option to save on leaving combat is super nice after difficult fights.

This looks about perfect. Thanks.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Cartoon, have you tried running your install through TES5Edit's cleaning process? It's not impossible for something like a deleted navmesh to cause the game to crash when it attempts to load the relevant cell, and I know that those are in the list of things the cleaning process can catch and fix.

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

:aaa: It worked! I combed through my mods to see if anything had messed with the area before the bridge to Windhelm, and it turns out that some random quest / boss fight mod I'd installed quite a while back added a single NPC to that area. I uninstalled it and the crash is gone! I walked straight past the area that always crashes and nothing seemed amiss, though I need to test more extensively. (read: Spend more hours playing Skyrim) I guess it turns out that even though I've played this file for 140 hours, I never once crossed the bridge to Windhelm. Must've swum down the river through the canals the first time.

Thank you everyone for the help! All the various solutions all within a day or two, in the end, it was a dumb problem that I didn't think to look for.

Should I still use TES5Edit to clean my save anyway just to smooth things out? Or is there a chance it'll break something?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Yo, what mod was it?

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

I would like to have a mod that introduces frogs into the game. Skyrim would be a happier place, if only it were covered in frogs.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

BattleCattle posted:

I would like to have a mod that introduces frogs into the game. Skyrim would be a happier place, if only it were covered in frogs.

:agreed:

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

GunnerJ posted:

Yo, what mod was it?

Silly me, forgot to tell you all. It was Apotheosis - Lifeless Vaults. Relatively new, it seems polished enough, the videos seemed promising. Guess it's simply incompatible with something I have in my game, since none of the comments mention the game crashing when going near the NPC's it added into the main game world. Because it came out so recently, I'm guessing I added it in along with a few tweaks like map notes and completely forgot I did it and forgot to actually test it. Weird, I don't normally do that. Seeing as how I have no recollection of actually getting it, I'm just glad I didn't go into the dungeon to find hyperrealistic Draugr that looked like my family.

I'm thinking it's a good thing I added in the Stable uGrids, though, since just playing the game the past few hours, it felt a lot more stable overall, the framerate was smoother, even outdoors, and I haven't experienced any issues so far. Considering the things I've put the game engine through and how taxing a game bloated with mods can be on a computer at times, it's running quite smoothly! Goon Advice wins again, it seems.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

I apologize if this has been asked before, but with SPERG I'm getting some undocumented behavior where skills are leveling up out of the blue (seemingly randomly, but it might be based on exploration or something). I'm not talking about the documented features how using staves will increase magic skills, or even armor skills increasing due to running around. Skills like Archery or Alchemy are just going up seemingly at random. The one pattern I've noticed so far is that the skills that go up are always skills that started at 20 or 25 due to my racial choice.

The SPERG readme says, "If you think a skill is going up when it shouldn't, look in the options menu for a way to turn it off before reporting it as a bug." I haven't been able to find an option to disable this, though.

I narrowed this down to SPERG after a bunch of trial and error enabling and disabling mods in MO. And these "issues" happen when the esm and esp are checked, and don't when they are not.

Am I going crazy? Am I just missing something in the readme or nexus description?

I don't even need to turn this off if it is working as intended, but I'd like to know what is going on in my game.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

They're not the quest reward skill-ups, right?

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

scamtank posted:

They're not the quest reward skill-ups, right?

I'm pretty sure they aren't, based on when I first noticed the issue, but when testing for which mod caused the problem I've been creating characters with Alternate Start, which has quest progression built into the system. So, I might need further testing to rule out the possibility that I'm misremembering,

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

You know, I think that's it, actually! Let me try doing the same thing but with compatibility mode.

Edit: That is definitely the cause! Compatibility mode works a little bit different than I thought it would, though. What are the specifics it uses?

I know its always based on the actual Quests completed screen, but what exactly does Compatibility mode do?

CuddlyZombie fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jun 11, 2015

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
I've had it reported before that some mods trigger lots of quest completions which results in random skill-ups. Nothing to be done about it other than not use that mod or turn the quest skill-ups off. :(

Akoogly Eyes
Apr 27, 2010

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes

CuddlyZombie posted:

You know, I think that's it, actually! Let me try doing the same thing but with compatibility mode.

Edit: That is definitely the cause! Compatibility mode works a little bit different than I thought it would, though. What are the specifics it uses?

I know its always based on the actual Quests completed screen, but what exactly does Compatibility mode do?

I believe compatibility mode just turns off gaining skill ups from non-vanilla quests. So if you have a mod that starts and completes a quest to handle something it does, it won't trigger SPERG skill increases.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
That's odd, Alternate Start never gave me that issue. Though I had a friend test out the alternative mods to it and I might switch it out soon anyway.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
Is there a growable beards mod? I want to periodically notice my character growing a beard. It would be cool I I could trim and or cut it. It would be even cooler if by the end of the game his beard is long enough to trip over.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Blimpkin posted:

Is there a growable beards mod? I want to periodically notice my character growing a beard. It would be cool I I could trim and or cut it. It would be even cooler if by the end of the game his beard is long enough to trip over.

Five O'clock Shadow might be what you're looking for.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Re: Sperg random skill-ups

There's a issue called threading, basically without too much technobabble it's when too many complex scripts try to do too many things. One of the main ways to minimize threading is to embed your scripts into hidden repeatable quests, so like the quest starts, fires the first part of your script, goes to the next "objective", fires the next part and etc until the "questline" is finished and fires a ending script that gives you the quest again. It's very clever and often needed, i usually assumed this is where the random skill-ups came from.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Dongattack posted:

Re: Sperg random skill-ups

There's a issue called threading, basically without too much technobabble it's when too many complex scripts try to do too many things. One of the main ways to minimize threading is to embed your scripts into hidden repeatable quests, so like the quest starts, fires the first part of your script, goes to the next "objective", fires the next part and etc until the "questline" is finished and fires a ending script that gives you the quest again. It's very clever and often needed, i usually assumed this is where the random skill-ups came from.

I don't suppose there's any way to "flag" these as not-real-quests or something to they don't really "count as" complete?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

GunnerJ posted:

I don't suppose there's any way to "flag" these as not-real-quests or something to they don't really "count as" complete?

You'd probably break the mod it came with in the process, and there could be loooooads. I just lived with it and embraced my welfare skill-ups.

edit: with my mods tho they were pretty rare, like one or two every other ingame day.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Five O'clock Shadow might be what you're looking for.

Lost opportunity to name a mod "Immersive Beards" imo

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

Lost opportunity to name a mod "Immersive Beards" imo

:colbert: Ahem. That's Immersive HD Beards.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Dongattack posted:

You'd probably break the mod it came with in the process, and there could be loooooads. I just lived with it and embraced my welfare skill-ups.

edit: with my mods tho they were pretty rare, like one or two every other ingame day.

If compatibility mode really does just limit the skillups to vanilla quests, that's probably good enough for me because the main utility I see in that feature is making radiant quests less of a waste of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Ynglaur posted:

:colbert: Ahem. That's Immersive HD Lore Friendly Beards of Skyrim

• Locked thread