Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

They had a little time free in between nerfing spec XP and nerfing doffing XP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

A Fancy Bloke posted:

Haha haha I think you'd be stupid to reply to that

Some chucklefuck already did.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

The thing is I'm not sure Cryptic can actually do anything about it, at least with the servers as poo poo as they are. Short of removing cover shield entirely.

Which they'll probably do because gently caress engineers.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If I read between the lines in those tweets, what he is saying is "We fired the people who understood event maps and nobody left has the slightest idea how to stop you deploying cover shields, or anything else".

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Well they did block it during the Winter event. I guess this confirms that they either didn't do that on purpose or they've fired the people who put that in place.

Lagomorphic fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jun 9, 2015

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

DancingShade posted:

If I read between the lines in those tweets, what he is saying is "We fired the people who understood event maps and nobody left has the slightest idea how to stop you deploying cover shields, or anything else".
That's not fair, they didn't fire everyone.

Some of them just quit because the company environment was toxic. :toot:

OnePt57x2
Sep 13, 2014
My triolic pattern enhancer and party balls really help with keeping the energy level up on the dance floor. I pray they can't fix this easily.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Meanwhile Risa's running at like 2 fps despite working perfectly fine last year and I just tried to do a CCA that was basically a server-side clusterfuck where I couldn't shoot or activate skills but I could sure be killed by the entity while rubber banding halfway across the map.

The developers for this game are literally incompetent. Instead of fixing actual issues because they're incompetent and have no idea how to do that, they're focusing on trivial non-problems like making sure everyone levels slower and so that pubs don't have to make a slight detour to click a flag. I really don't want to quit this game but at the moment it's completely unplayable. :psyduck:

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
What was keeping you playing before now?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Masochism.

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime
Borticus' latest tweet: "Thank you, to the folks that tried to help earlier with my question about using abilities on Risa. We're discussing options."

lol at "discussing options," whatever that means.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

DonDoodles posted:

Summer event is cancelled, goons win sto again.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

DonDoodles posted:

"popping pills in the staff bathroom, praying people will stop caring before the event's over so they don't have to do anything"

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.
Huh, so they've had the Basic design for the Iconians for a while, this is from 2010

This was also in the issue

From the Megazine article these were in

'The Iconians will also make their return clear in Season 2... but the fight will have to wait until Season 3'

I don't think that happened. Season 3 was the Romulan FE series.

Tuskin38 fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jun 10, 2015

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime
Guys, he is fixing this bug on his OWN TIME so the STO community can finally enjoy their game.

https://twitter.com/BorticusCryptic/status/608411295637979136

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Great. Can he fix the game breaking bugs on company time then? No? Okay. :v:

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Asimo posted:

Great. Can he fix the game breaking bugs on company time then? No? Okay. :v:

Why do we even bother

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

So, time to proliferate the knowledge?

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Borticus' primary role at Cryptic is to find things that are fun and fix them until they aren't.

faxmachine
Apr 1, 2007

Oh yeah....

Preechr posted:

Borticus' primary role at Cryptic is to find things that are fun and fix them until they aren't.

Not even joking. He literally combs through game data looking for areas where players thrive, and "fixes" them.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

faxmachine posted:

Not even joking. He literally combs through game data looking for areas where players thrive, and "fixes" them.

That's how you spread out play, right?

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

He's on r/sto claiming that our covershield obstacle course is preventing people from finishing the race and that's why he has to fix it. :jerkbag:

Lafarg
Jul 23, 2012

DonDoodles posted:

Borticus' latest tweet: "Thank you, to the folks that tried to help earlier with my question about using abilities on Risa. We're discussing options."

DancingShade posted:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

faxmachine posted:

You don't understand, though, there are more people playing the game than ever before.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Tunicate posted:

You don't understand, though, there are more people playing the game than ever before.

True it only seems like there's less because they've finally stopped an exploit where people were running queues in order to gain rewards faster than intended.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

MikeJF posted:

That's how you spread out play, right?
"There's all these people playing these fun maps and queues. Obviously we need to normalize them with the tedious and unrewarding maps instead so people play those too."

faxmachine
Apr 1, 2007

Oh yeah....

Asimo posted:

"There's all these people playing these fun maps and queues. Obviously we need to normalize them with the tedious and unrewarding maps instead so people play those too."

"What's that? Some of the maps cause the client to crash? Well they can go to a map with newer content. Nobody really plays the Dyson battlesphere for good reasons anyway. "

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
So I assume nothing has changed in the last couple of months? PWE/Cryptic still doing their best to stamp out fun?

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Haerc posted:

So I assume nothing has changed in the last couple of months? PWE/Cryptic still doing their best to stamp out fun?

Yup. Game bad, nothing is being done to fix this, they're actively looking for things people are doing for fun and stamping them out. Avoid.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

They haven't nerfed XP in a while, but the Risa event zone has massive framerate drops for no explicable reason and most of the actually popular queues (CCA for example) are unplayable lagfests. And the past few story missions were low-effort affairs with limited new maps and material. So yeah it's somehow gotten worse. :effort:

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
So has the blue geek foundry mission competition died the same sort of death as continued development on DTO itself? I want to do a Fifty Shades sequel but I was hoping other people would make poo poo too.

Lafarg
Jul 23, 2012

Asimo posted:

They haven't nerfed XP in a while, but the Risa event zone has massive framerate drops for no explicable reason and most of the actually popular queues (CCA for example) are unplayable lagfests. And the past few story missions were low-effort affairs with limited new maps and material. So yeah it's somehow gotten worse. :effort:

I have the same issue. I had to turn down CPU rendering to low and crank up GPU rendering for a marginal performance boost. I'm rather baffled as my Laptop with an Intel Core2 Duo SU7300 1.3GHz ran this game way better four years ago compared to my 4ghz Quad Core today which now runs like poo poo.

Lafarg fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jun 10, 2015

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Turn off the minimap. It's a huge performance sink.

Lafarg
Jul 23, 2012

Tunicate posted:

Ill do that ASAP. Thanks.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Tunicate posted:

The whole UI is a massive performance sink. Cryptic. :ughh: It's just annoying since everything was fine last year, so all they had to do was not gently caress the engine up with the expansion.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Yeah, but as far as I can tell the minimap is the worst of it. I'm guessing it pings the location of every entity on the map every refresh, assembles a full map, then only draws the part that fits inside the little square

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I've no idea why Risa of all places lags now. Either they're running more instances on the same server (likely) or somehow one of the ground traits that came out on the past year causes excessive server lag on the same map for some unknowable reason (also likely).

Take your pick.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So how do you get those new pets? I stumbled around for a bit, couldn't do the ship race thing because it took somewhere near ten minutes for the start locations to pop up and when I get to the start of the last race the mission fails and tells me to start over. :suicide:

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

DancingShade posted:

I've no idea why Risa of all places lags now. Either they're running more instances on the same server (likely) or somehow one of the ground traits that came out on the past year causes excessive server lag on the same map for some unknowable reason (also likely).

Take your pick.

All of the above and a whole bunch of unforeseen other "bugs" seems to be the most likely answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Anita Dickinme posted:

So how do you get those new pets? I stumbled around for a bit, couldn't do the ship race thing because it took somewhere near ten minutes for the start locations to pop up and when I get to the start of the last race the mission fails and tells me to start over. :suicide:

I didn't even bother to look but I do know that Risa would be improved immeasurably by an Urbanmech stomping about.

• Locked thread