Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Beardless posted:

What would really be awesome is a Wraith Squadron expansion, where you could have rebels flying TIES or something like that.

I've said it before that I'd really dig it if they ever made Erisi Dlarit a pilot who could fly for both Rebels and Imperials the way that Boba Fett can fly for Imperials and Scum. Make her an X-Wing pilot and some sort of TIE pilot respectively, both with different unique skills. Bundle her up with a Rogue/Wraith Squadron aces set that adds some new poo poo for X-Wings and Rebel Y-Wings, I would buy that poo poo on the spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Kai Tave posted:

I've said it before that I'd really dig it if they ever made Erisi Dlarit a pilot who could fly for both Rebels and Imperials the way that Boba Fett can fly for Imperials and Scum. Make her an X-Wing pilot and some sort of TIE pilot respectively, both with different unique skills. Bundle her up with a Rogue/Wraith Squadron aces set that adds some new poo poo for X-Wings and Rebel Y-Wings, I would buy that poo poo on the spot.

I'd like to see pilots like Face or Runt. You could do some cool special ability with Runt's multiple minds.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Feeple posted:

If peoplecome to tournaments expecting to pay rent or their car payment by winning X wing, poo poo is going to get real intense real fast.

Yeah, this. Start putting significant rewards and you give players a pretty good incentive to be really intense about their plastic spaceships games. And not in a good way.
This aside, does anyone has a good ressource for listbuilding and playing for dummies?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

TARDISman posted:

It'd be pretty hilarious if we could get the Adumari ships in Wave 40 or something.

If we're pipe-dreaming, call me when FFG hits the heavy poo poo and the Yuuzhan Vong show up.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
So, from reading more of the recent posts in this thread about limitations, etc. with upgrade cards (especially in regards to Y-Wings and possibly the different factions, if applicable), are these restrictions noted on the card/somewhere I can easily refer to, when the need arises? I can't check myself of course, as I've only got the core set (the MW expansion and my Plano case are still likely a couple of weeks away), but I just wanted to know in advance, just in case I should be catering for this when they do arrive, and put the upgrade cards into different decks for each ship/faction, or something similar as opposed to just lumping them all in one deck. Thanks

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Archenteron posted:

If we're pipe-dreaming, call me when FFG hits the heavy poo poo and the Yuuzhan Vong show up.

Fourth faction, calling it now.

Major Isoor posted:

So, from reading more of the recent posts in this thread about limitations, etc. with upgrade cards (especially in regards to Y-Wings and possibly the different factions, if applicable), are these restrictions noted on the card/somewhere I can easily refer to, when the need arises? I can't check myself of course, as I've only got the core set (the MW expansion and my Plano case are still likely a couple of weeks away), but I just wanted to know in advance, just in case I should be catering for this when they do arrive, and put the upgrade cards into different decks for each ship/faction, or something similar as opposed to just lumping them all in one deck. Thanks

Some cards will say "[FACTION] Only" on them which is self explanatory. Rebel Captive, for instance, is an Imperials Only card. Otherwise all upgrades can be used by all factions freely on ships with the requisite upgrade slots. For the most part putting them all into one deck/folder is going to be your best bet because faction specific upgrades are a minority of the overall pool.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Salvaged Astromech are technically speaking NOT scum-only, but since only scum Y-Wings can use salvaged astromechs, for the moment they can be considered to be scum-only.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Tekopo posted:

Salvaged Astromech are technically speaking NOT scum-only, but since only scum Y-Wings can use salvaged astromechs, for the moment they can be considered to be scum-only.

Similarly they probably gave Scum their own astromechs because otherwise there wouldn't have been anything stopping them from using R2-D2 or whoever.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Archenteron posted:

Aren't the Yuuzhan Vong non-canon now?

I doubt Disney would give the go-ahead on that since it would make them canon again.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Floppychop posted:

Aren't the Yuuzhan Vong non-canon now?

I doubt Disney would give the go-ahead on that since it would make them canon again.

I'm pretty sure a majority of the pilots in X-Wing are now non-canon.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

BottleKnight posted:

Oh I'm sure. But I heard that anything new that gets printed from the canon-wipe on becomes canon again. Or something like that.

Though the person that told may have been ill-informed.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Tekopo posted:

Also the Stygium Particle Accelerator upgrade that comes with the TIE Phantom isn't explicitly Imperial or TIE Phantom Only even when it's the only ship in the game with the Cloak ability. In theory this means that a future ship with Cloak could make use of it, but I'm more inclined to think it's just an oversight and not part of some deliberate long-term plan.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
If the Yuuzahn Vong become fully non-canon and never see the light of day, I will welcome the Abramsverse with open loving arms. Good bye, somehow they topped everything Lucas did wrong like it was some kind of challenge to reach the bottom first, and their death will be excellent.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Floppychop posted:

Oh I'm sure. But I heard that anything new that gets printed from the canon-wipe on becomes canon again. Or something like that.

No, not even remotely. Anything Disney specifically approves as canon becomes canon. X-Wing Minis isn't based on canon Star Wars, it's the tabletop miniatures game of the EU video games and X-Wing novels, and it gives no fucks about canonicity. :v:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Lemon Curdistan posted:

No, not even remotely. Anything Disney specifically approves as canon becomes canon. X-Wing Minis isn't based on canon Star Wars, it's the tabletop miniatures game of the EU video games and X-Wing novels, and it gives no fucks about canonicity. :v:

Yeah, basically this. I believe that FFG has to submit all of their Star Wars stuff to Disney for approval but Disney doesn't seem interested in stamping out all traces of the EU forever, I think the party line is the EU stuff is now "Star Wars Legends" aka "it's not canon anymore no-way no-how but we'll still let you mess around with it if you've got a good pitch."

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

BottleKnight posted:

Fully two thirds of the ships in X-Wing are now non-canon.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kai Tave posted:

Disney doesn't seem interested in stamping out all traces of the EU forever, I think the party line is the EU stuff is now "Star Wars Legends" aka "it's not canon anymore no-way no-how but we'll still let you mess around with it if you've got a good pitch."

Yeah. The whole Legends/canon wipe thing wasn't them setting out to delete the EU for the sake of deleting the EU, it was them going "okay, the writers of the new films are not to be constrained in any way by the last 35 years of novels, cartoons, video games, boardgames and roleplaying games because forcing our writers to adhere to 35 years of other people's lovely genre fiction work is dumb as gently caress." This means Abrams and Kasdan and whoeever is writing the other four so-far-announced Star Wars films get free reign to cherry-pick what they like from the EU and ignore anything that gets in the way of them producing (in theory) good cinema.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Yeah. The whole Legends/canon wipe thing wasn't them setting out to delete the EU for the sake of deleting the EU, it was them going "okay, the writers of the new films are not to be constrained in any way by the last 35 years of novels, cartoons, video games, boardgames and roleplaying games because forcing our writers to adhere to 35 years of other people's lovely genre fiction work is dumb as gently caress." This means Abrams and Kasdan and whoeever is writing the other four so-far-announced Star Wars films get free reign to cherry-pick what they like from the EU and ignore anything that gets in the way of them producing (in theory) good cinema.

I guess in theory this means that you could have, say, Thrawn show up in some future Star Wars movie, but I'm highly doubtful that something like that will happen in the movies since I imagine Disney wants to keep a very firm hand on that particular rudder. Things like FFG's games on the other hand are probably regarded as niche enough that Disney sees no harm in letting people play with all the EU stuff they want so long as don't view it as harmful to the brand (i.e. I imagine they aren't terribly likely to approve of someone picking up where Karen Traviss left off and writing a six book paean to the noble clonetrooper and also all Jedi are dumb poopheads who stink and deserve to die).

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Kai Tave posted:

Fourth faction, calling it now.

While I kinda want to see FFG go batshit insane and actually implement them, I also said it would be a result of them hitting the really dank :420: because jesus christ do you realize the staggering levels of bullshit Vong ships could pull? Crazy gravity engines, laser-absorbing defensive blackholes, shield-stripping grav lances, blobs of plasma/parasites that eat through a ship and disable poo poo as they go. All of that is on their base-line dogfighter.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

It would be hilarious like the borg were hilarious in Star Trek: Attack Wing.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

blues_brothers_chase.jpg

If FFG has any sense whatsoever, they'll throw the Vong back down the Wookiepedia hole and leave them there.

Irom
May 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Archenteron posted:

While I kinda want to see FFG go batshit insane and actually implement them, I also said it would be a result of them hitting the really dank :420: because jesus christ do you realize the staggering levels of bullshit Vong ships could pull? Crazy gravity engines, laser-absorbing defensive blackholes, shield-stripping grav lances, blobs of plasma/parasites that eat through a ship and disable poo poo as they go. All of that is on their base-line dogfighter.

What the gently caress is a vong?

~everyone

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

This game has the K-wing, but BS "my alien ships are better than yours nuh uh yeah huh" ships are too much. Unironically. And the k wings are terrible Homer Simpson space cars.

I also want to add that the NJ example I used about store credit was just a bonus. They didn't charge any extra for it but realized the amount of entry fees they received. WV gave away a bunch of door prizes and extra raffles for participating until the end. I won't expect NC to give anything extra but it would be nice cuz the kit's only like $60 from what I heard. I'll travel to a tournament a couple states away for some $20 big tournament for plastic tokens, but I won't do it for cash monies. We all turn into terrible people when that happens, me included. And I want this game to stay v chill.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jun 10, 2015

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

A similar Tycho ability on a tie fighter would be sweet but what I really want is Lt. Ketch. People have been saying there exists a cloaking x-wing from some dumb comic but I'm also inclined to believe it's just an oversight.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Irom posted:

What the gently caress is a vong?

~everyone

A super-advanced race of evil warriors from ~outside our galaxy~ which invades the galaxy, forcing the Empire remnants and New Republic to team up and overcome their differences.

Wookiepedia tells me that... they use giant living bio-ships? And.... they are apparently really scared of mechanical technology because this loving thing almost murdered them all a billion years ago?

Jesus Christ, the EU gets dumber and dumber as time goes on. :downsbravo:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

k-wings are loving sweet WWII bombers, anyone who doesn't like them is trash. :colbert:

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Geisladisk posted:

A super-advanced race of evil warriors from ~outside our galaxy~ which invades the galaxy, forcing the Empire remnants and New Republic to team up and overcome their differences.

Wookiepedia tells me that... they use giant living bio-ships? And.... they are apparently really scared of mechanical technology because this loving thing almost murdered them all a billion years ago?

The Great Heep is from the Droids cartoon from the 80s. The EU has always been consistently dumb.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

alg posted:

k-wings are loving sweet WWII bombers, anyone who doesn't like them is trash. :colbert:

Yeah except for the added wings with double the rockets and that really dumb pod gunner in front. It's adorable though, v kawaii :3:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
When will we get another preview or a release date? Seems ages since we heard anything.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

No preview, but there is this article

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Can you spot the mistake in that article? :v:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Geisladisk posted:

But wait! You forgot the part where it turns out Palpatine knew the Vong were coming to kill everyone and so actually the Empire was formed so he could militarise the galaxy and get it in fighting shape to beat the Vong.

It's actually EU canon that HitlerPalpatine Was Right.

Tekopo posted:

Copy-pasting is apparently hard. :v:

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jun 10, 2015

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Lemon Curdistan posted:

But wait! You forgot the part where it turns out Palpatine knew the Vong were coming to kill everyone and so actually the Empire was formed so he could militarise the galaxy and get it in fighting shape to beat the Vong.

And he would have gotten away with it too if it hadn't been for those meddling kids!

Irom
May 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Tekopo posted:

that was confusing. "Since when do alphas have EPTs?? oh..."

Irom
May 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Palpatine did nothing wrong.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

PJOmega posted:

Yeah, screw reasonable rewards. Real gamers only play for peanuts. :rolleyes:

Hey

gently caress you

Iceclaw posted:

Yeah, this. Start putting significant rewards and you give players a pretty good incentive to be really intense about their plastic spaceships games. And not in a good way.
This aside, does anyone has a good ressource for listbuilding and playing for dummies?

Builder: http://xwing-builder.co.uk/build
Maneuvers 101: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/915993/maneuvers-101-lots-pictures
Maneuvers 201: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/916303/maneuvers-201-more-pictures
Maneuvers 301: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/921471/maneuvers-301-formations
Maneuvers 302: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/925391/maneuvers-302-imperial-formations
Movement analysis: https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/87723/movement
Pinwheel: http://teamcovenant.com/klutz/2014/04/29/understanding-the-pinwheel-formation/
All of Paul Heaver's Turn Zero articles.
This thread.

Major Isoor posted:

Card List: http://www.afewmaneuvers.com/topic/573-full-card-list-by-expansion/

Kai Tave posted:

Also the Stygium Particle Accelerator upgrade that comes with the TIE Phantom isn't explicitly Imperial or TIE Phantom Only even when it's the only ship in the game with the Cloak ability. In theory this means that a future ship with Cloak could make use of it, but I'm more inclined to think it's just an oversight and not part of some deliberate long-term plan.

No this is specifically for future Cloak ships.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

:psyduck:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Lemon Curdistan posted:

:eyepop: :henget:

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Kai Tave posted:

Things like FFG's games on the other hand are probably regarded as niche enough that Disney sees no harm in letting people play with all the EU stuff they want so long as don't view it as harmful to the brand (i.e. I imagine they aren't terribly likely to approve of someone picking up where Karen Traviss left off and writing a six book paean to the noble clonetrooper and also all Jedi are dumb poopheads who stink and deserve to die).

Kai Tave posted:

Disney doesn't seem interested in stamping out all traces of the EU forever,

Disney posted:

does it make money

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Poopy Palpy posted:

The Great Heep is from the Droids cartoon from the 80s. The EU has always been consistently dumb.

Making Star Wars kids cartoons isn't dumb. Insisting on using goofy giant robots from 20 year old kids cartoons as an integral part of the backstory of what were the #1 villains of the EU for years is dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

alg posted:

Externally-carried ordnance is Not Star Wars.

• Locked thread