Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Watch The Seas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

al-azad posted:

Aside from the jokes that you're paying too much because the game is bad, you're paying too much for what amounts to cardboard terrain. The minis are where 95% of the game's value lies and getting a full set (whether original or off the shelf standard minis) will undoubtedly be more expensive than buying the full game. The 4th Edition printing kind of flooded the market so you can get a complete Space Hulk for maybe $100.

I rather pay $20 for some cardboard and proxy the minis than pay $100 for the game with some guys that look cool I guess but I have to paint myself. I'm probably not going to actually buy some real GW figures because they're too expensive and I can't paint for poo poo. I dunno is this a terrible idea? I thought Space Hulk was sorta okay, unlike everything else GW has.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I haven't played Space Hulk in ~15 years, but it seems like you would be better off with Claustrophobia

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I haven't played Space Hulk in ~15 years, but it seems like you would be better off with Claustrophobia

You don't need the qualifier in front of that statement. For less than the cost of space hulk retail, you can get claustrophobia and all of the expansions, and there's at least 10 or 15 extra scenario is available online.

Space Hulk sucks the sweat off a dead man's balls.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

EvilChameleon posted:

I rather pay $20 for some cardboard and proxy the minis than pay $100 for the game with some guys that look cool I guess but I have to paint myself. I'm probably not going to actually buy some real GW figures because they're too expensive and I can't paint for poo poo. I dunno is this a terrible idea? I thought Space Hulk was sorta okay, unlike everything else GW has.

I support a lot of wasteful endeavors but I honestly think this is a waste of money. If you proxy real GW miniatures you will very likely pay more than $80 for them. As far as miniatures go Space Hulk is a pretty good deal and the 3rd edition was super rare for a time because people would gut them specifically for the minis. If you do something cheap like army men or cardboard cutouts you're getting a "sorta okay" gutted board game without the fluff that actually attracts people to it. At that point you may as well buy graph paper, draw the maps yourself and play the game that way. You can download the rulebook, what do you need the actual terrain for?

So yeah, if you want cool pieces + a good game to go with it then Claustrophobia or Star Wars Imperial Assault are good recommendations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
And if for some reason, you really, really wanna play Space Hulk, there's a Steam version.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.
This is the first time I have ever said this: thanks goons for encouraging me to hold onto my money.

Has Russian Railroads been talked about on here? I was talking to a local guy and he said he thought the game was too "solve-able" for his likes, but otherwise all the reviews seem to be pretty good? I'm trying to tick off the list of the top 100-200 games on BGG since that seems like a good a place as any to check for stuff.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

EvilChameleon posted:

This is the first time I have ever said this: thanks goons for encouraging me to hold onto my money.

Has Russian Railroads been talked about on here? I was talking to a local guy and he said he thought the game was too "solve-able" for his likes, but otherwise all the reviews seem to be pretty good? I'm trying to tick off the list of the top 100-200 games on BGG since that seems like a good a place as any to check for stuff.

I only played a 4 player game of it once, but I wasn't too fond of it. I found that there were always enough things to do that getting blocked never stung at all. I think the only real exception to that was purchasing the engineers, or whatever those extra space tiles were. For other things, there were usually enough other options to easily make contingency plans. I can see how it would feel solveable, since there's very little randomness. I don't think it's like Terra Mystica, where the random round tiles can drastically change your strategy. The engineers seem like they offer small variations from game to game, but nothing big enough to change your main strategies.

I'd be open to trying it again, but it's not something I'd request to play with my group.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So Imperial Assault has been a big hit for my group and the question came up of how Descent actually stacks up. Is it worth picking up a copy to find out? Or would we be backtracking a bit in terms of quality? The fantasy setting woulden't be a problem but a "not nearly as good as Impass" would be.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So Imperial Assault has been a big hit for my group and the question came up of how Descent actually stacks up. Is it worth picking up a copy to find out? Or would we be backtracking a bit in terms of quality? The fantasy setting woulden't be a problem but a "not nearly as good as Impass" would be.

I haven't played ImpAss, but I can't stand Descent. Tedious; way too long for what it is; dull, dull, dull.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Lichtenstein posted:

What the experience taught me was a reminder that reading the game is an actual (if rather worthless) skill.

truth :(:respek::(

Lichtenstein posted:

When prodded to comment on stuff during conclusion, despite having the necessary bare minimum knowledge of game theory (someone mentioned the prisoner's dilemma) people tended to project their preconceived notions of real-life issues mirrored by the game rather than truly sticking to the procedural narration.

This might also have been Telling The Person Prodding You To Comment What You Figure They Want To Hear (so you can be left alone.)

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

ImpAss fixed up some of Descent 2's problems and was significantly better balanced. It'll feel like a step back and your Overlord (Imperial) player will probably find it a significantly tougher time or else a cakewalk. There are enough main and side scenarios you could probably just set all the sidequests you did this campaign to one side and play the rest on a second go through.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
I acknowledge it's probably a commitment most people wouldn't want to make, but IMO Descent 2e's balance issues are greatly improved with the expansions, particularly the campaigns in Shadows of Nerekhall and Manor of Ravens. The base campaign and the default set of overlord cards definitely both have some rough edges.

edit: Also I think the balance issues hit hardest with any other number than four hero characters. I haven't played IA yet to see if that does better on this score, but I'd recommend always to play with four characters regardless of actual player count.

Blamestorm fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jun 10, 2015

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Blamestorm posted:

I acknowledge it's probably a commitment most people wouldn't want to make, but IMO Descent 2e's balance issues are greatly improved with the expansions, particularly the campaigns in Shadows of Nerekhall and Manor of Ravens. The base campaign and the default set of overlord cards definitely both have some rough edges.

edit: Also I think the balance issues hit hardest with any other number than four hero characters. I haven't played IA yet to see if that does better on this score, but I'd recommend always to play with four characters regardless of actual player count.

Does Descent increase health with a lower player number? That's how ImpAss gets around that limitation and after our very first campaign was with only 2 characters we decided that while it's still totally playable with only 2 it's way more interesting and fun with 4. Can you be a bit more specific with the balance problems and how the expansion makes them better? Basically do all my research for me :v:

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

No, Descent 2 just reduces the number of enemies you're facing. ImpAss's preservation of action economy isn't present either, nor is ImpAss' heroes and overlord take turns alternately. This makes the game potentially very swingy.

Blamestorm posted:

I'll definitely second this, though. Nerekhall owned.

e: To put in a little more effort, the base game had many missions where the players could just utterly curbstomp the Overlord either due to favorable conditions or broken objectives or just the players being super powerful meatheads. There was no limit on how far you could stamina-move, which made for some absolutely crazy plays from the heroes, and when you combine that with missions where the boss starts 5 squares away and faces an immediate 4-hero damage spike they were sometimes basically impossible. You couldn't save up reinforcement points, so rather than deploying an entire squad at once you had to dripfeed a single monster onto the board each turn, making it much easier to lock the Overlord down.

All the maps were win-or-lose which often caused friction between players and overlord, especially when they'd taken ages to actually play, and ImpAss softened that by keeping rewards all the same. Meanwhile, if the players didn't save up money, they were inevitably going to die - but if they did, they were inevitably going to win. IA balanced that out, too.

Basically ImpAss had a ton of QOL fixes.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jun 10, 2015

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Stelas posted:

No, Descent 2 just reduces the number of enemies you're facing. ImpAss's preservation of action economy isn't present either, nor is ImpAss' heroes and overlord take turns alternately. This makes the game potentially very swingy.

I'll definitely second this, though. Nerekhall owned.

e: To put in a little more effort, the base game had many missions where the players could just utterly curbstomp the Overlord either due to favorable conditions or broken objectives or just the players being super powerful meatheads. There was no limit on how far you could stamina-move, which made for some absolutely crazy plays from the heroes, and when you combine that with missions where the boss starts 5 squares away and faces an immediate 4-hero damage spike they were sometimes basically impossible. You couldn't save up reinforcement points, so rather than deploying an entire squad at once you had to dripfeed a single monster onto the board each turn, making it much easier to lock the Overlord down.

All the maps were win-or-lose which often caused friction between players and overlord, especially when they'd taken ages to actually play, and ImpAss softened that by keeping rewards all the same. Meanwhile, if the players didn't save up money, they were inevitably going to die - but if they did, they were inevitably going to win. IA balanced that out, too.

Basically ImpAss had a ton of QOL fixes.

Thanks for the effortpost! So all this pretty much tells me that i should probably just stick to ImpAss then, maybe if i can find the game+it's expansions somewhere cheap i'll try it out but until then i'm blasting Stormtroopers instead of Orcs.

Although from what i did read up i do wish ImpAss at the very least had some of the cool looking traps and different interesting to look at enviroments(there's only so many times you can make forest/desert/in-door environments interesting)

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

If you take those sheep again I will bury this fucking axe in your skull.
Since I'm picking up Dominion: Prosperity after work, then going to my FLGS for Netrunner, part of me wants to get another Dominion box while I'm there. When I went last week he had Intrigue and a couple of others in. I'm always slightly put off by the idea of buying Intrigue because I don't want more of the base cards (unless they have the new artwork, which I'm not sure the ones in Intrigue do?)

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

EvilChameleon posted:

The components are nice but $20 is dumb and that guy wants to unload his big box of nice cardboard. $10 is fair if you really like nice cardboard?

Also:

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Zveroboy posted:

Since I'm picking up Dominion: Prosperity after work, then going to my FLGS for Netrunner, part of me wants to get another Dominion box while I'm there. When I went last week he had Intrigue and a couple of others in. I'm always slightly put off by the idea of buying Intrigue because I don't want more of the base cards (unless they have the new artwork, which I'm not sure the ones in Intrigue do?)

The base cards in Intrigue are the same as in the base set, but you should definitely get Intrigue anyway. It's very good.

And since I'm posting, my game shop is doing a garage sale, so I'm taking in some of my little-played stuff. Anything in this list I should give a second thought to selling?

CO2
Heroes of Metro City
Pirate's Cove
The New Science
Tobago
City of Iron
Race to Adventure
Puerto Rico (I know, classic, but eh)
Ascension: Darkness Unleashed
Ascension: Rise of Vigil
Smallworld/Smallworld Underground (one of, my kids like it, but I know I don't need both)

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
Smallworld base is better than Underground IMO, though I don't like either.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

Zveroboy posted:

They don't, and there's a good chance any Intrigue box you find now is the Hasbro reprint ("Made in the USA with pride" logo on it) which is garbage quality. Better to wait on a better printing of that.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Fellis posted:

The components are nice but $20 is dumb and that guy wants to unload his big box of nice cardboard. $10 is fair if you really like nice cardboard?

Also:

Beautiful :allears:

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Claustrophobia is a good game, but is Earth Reborn a better fit as a replacement army tactics game?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
So I recently got Dominion as a gift, as well as the Guilds expansion...aside from Adventures, which I hear is great, what other expansion(s) should I keep an eye out for?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
They're all great except for Alchemy and Guilds, which both get very mixed receptions. I have base, Dark Ages, and Adventures and have a great mix with those.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

PerniciousKnid posted:

Claustrophobia is a good game, but is Earth Reborn a better fit as a replacement army tactics game?

I haven't played Claustrophobia so I can't compare the two, but as much as I like ER it doesn't really shine unless you have someone else willing to commit to it for a number of games, just to learn and apply the system mechanics in their totality. If you do, then it is totally worth it.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Deathlove posted:

The base cards in Intrigue are the same as in the base set, but you should definitely get Intrigue anyway. It's very good.

And since I'm posting, my game shop is doing a garage sale, so I'm taking in some of my little-played stuff. Anything in this list I should give a second thought to selling?

CO2
Heroes of Metro City
Pirate's Cove
The New Science
Tobago
City of Iron
Race to Adventure
Puerto Rico (I know, classic, but eh)
Ascension: Darkness Unleashed
Ascension: Rise of Vigil
Smallworld/Smallworld Underground (one of, my kids like it, but I know I don't need both)

I'd take Tobago off of you. It's a game I know my wife will play.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Rutibex posted:

:eyepop:
That.....Is brilliant! Constructed Agricola, like Magic or Netrunner. It would be a fun exercise to try and make a competitive "deck", I think I'm going to try, even if I never get the chance to use it.

I also couldn't tell you if a dominate strategy would exist. If you think about it a 14 card Agricola "deck" is going to be about as complex as the average Magic deck, once you take out the lands and account for 4 copies of each card. There are quite a few Agricola cards out there, 4,500 by my last count on the official site. To put that into Magic terms, Agricola now has as many cards as Magic did during the Urza Block. I will have to assume any constructed Agricola format would have to have some sort of ban list, just by virtue of the volume of cards.

This is basically the Agricola World Championship Deck, from what I understand. 60 Minor Improvements and 55 Occupations divided into 5 separate decks. Everyone gets a deck, and then you can discard down to 7 of each or do a draft. Difficult to find, though.

There's also a "starter" deck for Agricola, made of some of the cards from the E-deck. I usually use these instead of the Family version when I'm teaching people how to play the game.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Anyone played Spyfall yet? Broken Loose, you seem to be all over these social deduction games, any thoughts? Seems like it was popular at the cons and is now getting some reviews

Taran_Wanderer posted:

This is basically the Agricola World Championship Deck, from what I understand. 60 Minor Improvements and 55 Occupations divided into 5 separate decks. Everyone gets a deck, and then you can discard down to 7 of each or do a draft. Difficult to find, though.

There's also a "starter" deck for Agricola, made of some of the cards from the E-deck. I usually use these instead of the Family version when I'm teaching people how to play the game.

Hey thanks!

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
Got dealt into a game of Citadels last night. It was a few turns in but they just had me draw two random buildings and a few cards so I was fairly close to the last place player, which probably isn't in the rules officially but it's cool that the game is simple enough to house rule something like a late player so easily. Anyway, I haven't played a role game like this except for Love Letter, which is obviously very different, and I liked it. We used the base game roles, and the only one I neither saw a need for and actively disliked was the Assassin. Uncontrollable "skip your turn" mechanics are pretty lovely, and picking the Assassin is a gamble anyway due to having the roles that are removed from rotation. Also the game seems to have a runaway leader issue in the "bonus gold for buildings"roles. The lead player had the School of Magic and three other colors, so he could choose from any of them for the extra gold, which made it extremely hard to hold him back via Assassin/Thief stuff. The Warlord seems to be an attempt to avoid that, but then you have Bishop immunity AND gold, and the player that is behind has to spend money to remove his expensive buildings to slow him down.

It was only one game, though, and I enjoyed it regardless. I looked through some of the expansion roles and found them fun and varied, so I'll definitely try it some more.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Morpheus posted:

So I recently got Dominion as a gift, as well as the Guilds expansion...aside from Adventures, which I hear is great, what other expansion(s) should I keep an eye out for?

They're all great, but don't get Alchemy until you've exhausted the other ones.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The second Eclipse expansion is due in Q4, possibly an Essen launch. Three new races on two new boards, new rare techs and other goodies. From the hints dropped, there may be a race that starts with Wormhole Generator.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Anyone played Spyfall yet? Broken Loose, you seem to be all over these social deduction games, any thoughts? Seems like it was popular at the cons and is now getting some reviews
My group tried our own version (making up the locations) which was a disaster for a few reasons. Then we tried it again using smashup races and it went much better, it's pretty fun for how simple it is. I'm not sure how it stands up as a game though, whether you win or lose depends basically on how early you happen to hit the spy and how lucky they are at picking some generic description. In a six player game we had a few rounds where the spy managed to guess without even getting asked a question (or only one) which is kinda lame.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

They're all great except for Alchemy and Guilds, which both get very mixed receptions. I have base, Dark Ages, and Adventures and have a great mix with those.

guilds is great

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
I got my 2nd Edition copy of Funemployed yesterday (ala Kickstarter), just in time for my group's weekly get together. It's a party game where one player acts as the Employer who gets a random job card they are hiring for, while each other player is an Applicant who has a hand of 4 qualification cards they are going to have to use during their "interview" to pitch to the Employer why they're the best candidate for the job. The catch is that the jobs are often ridiculous (Dominatrix, Celebrity Impersonator, etc., but sometimes normal like Used Car Salesman), and the qualification cards are usually absurd things that would never come up in an actual job interview. For example, maybe you're holding Pyromaniac, Beard, Soft Hands, and Italian Accent, and with those 4 cards you have to tell the employer why you're the person they should hire to be your Secret Agent, or something.
Each round everyone gets a new hand of 4 qualifications and there's a public market of 10 cards that players can swap from 1-for-1 with cards in their hands, allowing you to "build your résumé" until the first interview begins.

I really enjoyed it, and will be in my rotation for bigger social games for sure, mixing in with ONUW and Spyfall. Unlike other similarly structured party games which have all the players submitting to a judge, this one really requires players to be engaged and creative to really sell their qualifications. If you just read the cards at face value it's going to fall really flat, like some other party games which need not be named.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I'll hopefully be trying this and Dark Moon tomorrow night, I'll have to report back.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Trying to be an awesome ambassador of gaming goodwill at my FLGS game night, I invited two people (a man and his ~12 year-old daughter) who were looking a bit uncomfortable to play a game. They pulled out Smash Up. I've never actually played it and actually mostly ignored it because deckbuilding is one of my least-favorite gametypes. It looked light and I figured it would be over in 20-30 minutes.

An hour and forty-five minutes later, with no end in sight, I decided to no longer try to be welcoming to new gamers. Jesus, what a terrible game.

Actually, I'll still be nice and will try just about anything, but seriously, gently caress that game.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Just finished an unexpected game of Twilight Struggle. Wonderful game, dice hate me :(

I assume that the card "Mousetrap" goes away at the end of your turn if you feed it (unsuccessfully) half your had so you run out of cards to play?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Fat Samurai posted:

Just finished an unexpected game of Twilight Struggle. Wonderful game, dice hate me :(

I assume that the card "Mousetrap" goes away at the end of your turn if you feed it (unsuccessfully) half your had so you run out of cards to play?

No. No it doesn't. Also red scare applies to it. :unsmigghh:

Realtalk: beartrap/quagmire should really be more like the 1989 General Strike which adds the ops value to your die roll and I would honestly houserule it if TS wasn't such a popular competitive game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

StashAugustine posted:

No. No it doesn't. Also red scare applies to it. :unsmigghh:

gently caress :suicide: