Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

When you hit your upgrade eligibility on a Next plan, can you just turn in the phone and BYO at that point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stoops
Jun 11, 2001
i recently got a new phone for my mom out of pocket from amazon. she was on my family plan, from a regular phone to a smart phone. She doesnt use the internet but she wanted a touch screen.

Instead of me getting charged 15 for her basic phone, i'm now getting charged 40. is that correct?

Also, i have insurance on an iphone on a NEXT plan. The screen recently cracked; the phone still works. is it as easy as calling them up and getting shipped a new phone? How much would i have to pay?

I appreciate any help.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

stoops posted:

i recently got a new phone for my mom out of pocket from amazon. she was on my family plan, from a regular phone to a smart phone. She doesnt use the internet but she wanted a touch screen.

Instead of me getting charged 15 for her basic phone, i'm now getting charged 40. is that correct?

Also, i have insurance on an iphone on a NEXT plan. The screen recently cracked; the phone still works. is it as easy as calling them up and getting shipped a new phone? How much would i have to pay?

I appreciate any help.

Assuming you're on the mobile share plans, $40 is the cost for a "on contract" phone. If you bought an unlocked or contract free phone that should be $15-$25, depending on how big your data bucket is.

The insurance deductibles are here: http://icds.portal.att.net/SmartControl/MI-MPPTieredDedEligibilitySchedule_April2_2015.pdf

Note the declining deductibles on the first page

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Mr. Powers posted:

When you hit your upgrade eligibility on a Next plan, can you just turn in the phone and BYO at that point?

Maybe? My contract says device turn-in fulfills the remaining payments while the current website verbiage (which may vary from the current actual contract) says you have to upgrade too.

stoops posted:

Just have Apple do it. It'll most likely be cheaper ($109 or less for 6, $129 or less for 6+/5/5C/5S), and even better it won't affect your deductible in case something worse happens down the road.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

Mr. Powers posted:

I actually want to know this as well. I just got my project fi invite and I would like to cancel my ATT line. If anyone knows, I would appreciate it

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Syano posted:

I actually want to know this as well. I just got my project fi invite and I would like to cancel my ATT line. If anyone knows, I would appreciate it

Officially you might be over or under, depending on who you get you might have someone match the exact price. I have done it before for customers, but mileage will vary.

For most phones the trade in will be equal or close enough anyway, so I think you would be ok.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy
I know this is off topic, but I am loving my new non-att job.

Mr. Powers posted:

Officially, no. But since I don't work there anymore, here is how you do it.

When you return your phone, you sign a thing saying that you don't get your phone back for any reason. Then, you buy a new phone.

However, the very next day you can return the phone with a $35 restocking fee. Then, you just go byo.

Just know, this is a waste of time for the sales rep, and they wont be happy you did it. If you want to hide your shame, return it to another store.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Beefstorm posted:

I know this is off topic, but I am loving my new non-att job.

Officially, no. But since I don't work there anymore, here is how you do it.

When you return your phone, you sign a thing saying that you don't get your phone back for any reason. Then, you buy a new phone.

However, the very next day you can return the phone with a $35 restocking fee. Then, you just go byo.

Just know, this is a waste of time for the sales rep, and they wont be happy you did it. If you want to hide your shame, return it to another store.

That would work, but if the manager is nice (which is definitely hit or miss) you can do what I posted above.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I have a Galaxy S6 Active. Is there a way for me to get my voicemails without having to dial in and enter my passcode? I'm hoping there's a way to have it work like my iphone did--display who voicemails are from on the phone and be able to listen to them directly instead of navigating a voice menu.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Aranan posted:

I have a Galaxy S6 Active. Is there a way for me to get my voicemails without having to dial in and enter my passcode? I'm hoping there's a way to have it work like my iphone did--display who voicemails are from on the phone and be able to listen to them directly instead of navigating a voice menu.

Yes, search Voicemail on the android App Store and download the ATT voicemail app. For whatever reason it never comes with the drat phone.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Awesome. Is it the AT&T Visual Voicemail or the AT&T Voicemail Viewer?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Aranan posted:

Awesome. Is it the AT&T Visual Voicemail or the AT&T Voicemail Viewer?

It's this one, at least according to the AT&T support page about visual voicemail.

Voicemail Viewer is for Uverse residential accounts, it seems.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Yes, search Voicemail on the android App Store and download the ATT voicemail app. For whatever reason it never comes with the drat phone.
Because then people whine about "carrier bloat" on their phone.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Endless Mike posted:

Because then people whine about "carrier bloat" on their phone.

Which is worse. Because I consider it to be necessary, and not carrier bloat. I feel like if I wanted AT&T Mobile TV, I would download that. But no one wants it.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

nimper posted:

It's this one, at least according to the AT&T support page about visual voicemail.

"This app is incompatible with all of your devices."

Why would AT&T make something like this but then only allow it to be installed by a few phones?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Xenomorph posted:

"This app is incompatible with all of your devices."

Why would AT&T make something like this but then only allow it to be installed by a few phones?

Great question.

If you're looking for a better voicemail solution, check out Google Voice.

bigtom
May 7, 2007

Playing the solid gold hits and moving my liquid lips...

nimper posted:

I had to sideload it onto my Nexus 5, but it works fine for me. No glitches or anything...

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

nimper posted:

Great question.

I think you mean "a voicemail solution with a different set of compromises".

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Thermopyle posted:

I think you mean "a voicemail solution with a different set of compromises".

In my experience it works great as a voicemail solution. Once you go beyond that, there are compromises.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

nimper posted:

In my experience it works great as a voicemail solution.

You're lucky. There's lots of well-documented and widespread issues with it.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
So if I get tired of waiting, buy an unlocked Lumia 640 XL, AT&T will still allow it on their networks, right?

I've been holding off on upgrading because I figured the 640s would be out by now, so I'm wondering what all I'll be charged with aside from whatever I pay for my phone. If I went on the Next plan, wouldn't it be pretty cheap since the phone cost won't be added to my monthly bill?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

nimper posted:

Great question.

I had been using Google Voice for my home phone for a long time (with an Obihai VoIP box, or something), but then I read that Google was shutting down Google Voice. I'm guessing that it is still up, but I don't want to rely on something that could disappear at any time.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Xenomorph posted:

I had been using Google Voice for my home phone for a long time (with an Obihai VoIP box, or something), but then I read that Google was shutting down Google Voice. I'm guessing that it is still up, but I don't want to rely on something that could disappear at any time.

They're not shutting it down. What you probably read was that they're cutting off unauthorized third party access to the service.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

So if I get tired of waiting, buy an unlocked Lumia 640 XL, AT&T will still allow it on their networks, right?

Yep. Just put the SIM in and go. APN settings should work. You won't get the AT&T VOLTE but visual voicemail should work fine.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jun 12, 2015

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
So I'm heading to HKG and China next week. I've signed up for the Passport plan and despite the rape-tastic data charges I'm confused about SMS/MMS. I currently have a bog-standard 15gig unlimited text/talk shared plan.

According to my google-fu I should be able, with the $30 passport plan, to SMS and MMS to my hearts content while in China and pay nothing. Unlimited sending and unlimited receive at "domestic standard rates," which is $0.

Is that correct? I don't want to get stuck with mega bills at 25 cents a message or something. I'll probably end up with a Chinese SIM at some point to have normal data options, but I'd like to be able to not worry about having my phone on while traveling.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Planning on paying full price up front for the 640 XL when I head into the store. Would my monthly charge just be the data plan charge? Haven't been able to get a clear answer on what an access charge is. It's not like it's a huge amount, just curious to see if my monthly bill is Access+Data+[Whatever is left to pay for the phone]. I also figure with my potentially switching accounts from my family plan to starting an account with my girlfriend, it'd be smarter to get the phone fully paid off so I don't need to worry about tying myself down to one account for the next year or so.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Shinjobi posted:

Planning on paying full price up front for the 640 XL when I head into the store. Would my monthly charge just be the data plan charge? Haven't been able to get a clear answer on what an access charge is. It's not like it's a huge amount, just curious to see if my monthly bill is Access+Data+[Whatever is left to pay for the phone]. I also figure with my potentially switching accounts from my family plan to starting an account with my girlfriend, it'd be smarter to get the phone fully paid off so I don't need to worry about tying myself down to one account for the next year or so.

What plan are you on? Or are you just signing up for one?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I've been on a family plan for a couple years now, but I was going to break away and start up a new account with my girlfriend. Figured it was time to break off from the family account by now.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Shinjobi posted:

Figured it was time to break off from the family account by now.

Unrelated. If you can stay on a group plan with other people, it will almost always be cheaper than breaking off onto your own plan. never get an individual account unless you are not paying for it.

zerocrash
Apr 14, 2009
So what happens if you repeatedly go over your data plan? Obviously overages apply but any other sort of penalty? My sister and I got the 15 gb for $100 deal when it came up but we're both now using our data more often. The 20 gb plan is $50 dollars more but she just had her corporate discount added to my plan and I think it changed the overage penalty to $5 a gb from $15. If there's no penalty for repeated overages aside from the fee, then for us it works out better to just go with things as they are now.

zerocrash fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jul 1, 2015

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

zerocrash posted:

So what happens if you repeatedly go over your data plan?

Nothing. AT&T just bills you for every add-on "overage bucket".

Coco Rodreguiz
Jan 12, 2007

Peckerhead isn't used enough as an insult if you ask me.
Quick question. I just activated an iPhone 4S on prepaid GoPhone yesterday. But its pretty old and lovely and I would like to get a Moto E.

On the website it makes me choose a plan when I try to buy it and when I get to the end though its the right price. But if I order the phone can I just pop the SIM card to the Moto E and keep my number or is the phone locked and has to be activated on a new prepaid account?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Coco Rodreguiz posted:

Quick question. I just activated an iPhone 4S on prepaid GoPhone yesterday. But its pretty old and lovely and I would like to get a Moto E.

On the website it makes me choose a plan when I try to buy it and when I get to the end though its the right price. But if I order the phone can I just pop the SIM card to the Moto E and keep my number or is the phone locked and has to be activated on a new prepaid account?

You can swap the SIMs.

Scruffy the janitor
Dec 31, 2007

A greater tragedy my eyes have never beheld
I am on a mobile share 6gb plan with my mom and brother. I'm wanting to upgrade my phone and while I feel like I get the Next program I'm not sure. Neither of the others is planning to upgrade any time soon. Is it worth it to go with, let's say a Next 18 for around $29/mo or should I just stick with the 2 year contract while it exists? I assume this mostly comes down to the plan, but I want to double check. Insurance also seems a little more necessary with the Next plan. I haven't completely decided on a phone yet either. Any help is appreciated, though!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Taking a 2 year upgrade will increase your line charge by $25, so unless the phone you're looking at has a subsidized cost of $96 or less, NEXT will be the better choice for you.

EDIT: Ignore that, it'll only go up by $15. That said, you can go up to 10 GB of data at no increase in cost (assuming all three lines are off contract/on NEXT with smartphones) and then what I said will be true.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jul 8, 2015

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Scruffy the janitor posted:

I am on a mobile share 6gb plan with my mom and brother. I'm wanting to upgrade my phone and while I feel like I get the Next program I'm not sure. Neither of the others is planning to upgrade any time soon. Is it worth it to go with, let's say a Next 18 for around $29/mo or should I just stick with the 2 year contract while it exists? I assume this mostly comes down to the plan, but I want to double check. Insurance also seems a little more necessary with the Next plan. I haven't completely decided on a phone yet either. Any help is appreciated, though!

What phone? Don't stick with the contract, there is literally no reason to. Do Next. If it's an iPhone then AppleCare+ will be a more convenient insurance for cheaper than ATT.

Scruffy the janitor
Dec 31, 2007

A greater tragedy my eyes have never beheld

Michael Scott posted:

What phone? Don't stick with the contract, there is literally no reason to. Do Next. If it's an iPhone then AppleCare+ will be a more convenient insurance for cheaper than ATT.

I'm looking at the G4. Almost anything is better than the poo poo HTC First I have though. Looks like Next is the way to go. Thanks guys.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Small business with 15-20 lines. AT&T employees, what happens when you've hit the 50GB mobile share value plan and still need more data? Are there bigger plans available that just aren't on the website?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

KS posted:

Small business with 15-20 lines. AT&T employees, what happens when you've hit the 50GB mobile share value plan and still need more data? Are there bigger plans available that just aren't on the website?

Yeah, there are plans on up to 500GB. I'll try and remember to look tomorrow.

You should have a assigned small bus rep, most of them are pretty good at getting back to you if you needed anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

I'm moving tomorrow, and I'm looking at Internet and TV plans. My area is slated to get Google Fiber before the end of 2015, but until then, I'm looking at AT&T U-verse. Can it be canceled at any time without penalty?