Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I remember Windows drivers being a giant pita back when android was on 1.6 and 2.0, which was the last time I tried messing with any of this stuff. I'm amazed they haven't improved any of it from what you all are saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Thermopyle posted:

I feel like I'm the only person who's never had any problems with Android drivers on Windows.

I never have, and I got things working so long ago that if I had to make any changes I don't know what I'd have to do.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Thermopyle posted:

I feel like I'm the only person who's never had any problems with Android drivers on Windows.

Athenry posted:

I never have, and I got things working so long ago that if I had to make any changes I don't know what I'd have to do.

I used to flash my HTC Incredible and my Galaxy Nexus with all sorts of dumb roms on my Windows 7 computers and I never had a problem.

*¯\_(ツ)_/¯*

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Motorola is starting to talk a big game on the X3 camera.

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/06/09/motorola-cmo-company-to-bring-it-with-regard-to-moto-x-3rd-gen-camera/

quote:

On Twitter yesterday, Motorola’s CMO Adrienne Hayes, says the company is working hard to change that this year, stating, “We know we need to improve here and are definitely going to ‘bring it.'”

When asked if Motorola would work to bring an advanced manual camera mode to the next flagship, plus improve on imaging as a whole, Hayes replied with, “We absolutely can and we absolutely will this year.”

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Thermopyle posted:

Getting it working again after a format took me a few minutes of frustration, but its really never been that bad.

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

I'd like to say 99% of the time I usually don't have issues.

That other 1% of the time? Makes me want to fastball the drat device against the wall.

Then again, the last time I had one of those cases was my Verizon Galaxy Nexus that had been traded around a few family members coming back to me for support. I was really close to just telling them "gently caress it, you're getting a Moto E on me."

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I think I usually get one of my devices to work on Windows, but only at the expense of making the other ones not work.

Also, like everyone else is saying, it's trivially easy to download ubuntu and install it in virtual box. It just take a few minutes to download and install.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Anybody else on M want to admit they aren't real happy with the super-sleep/hibernation/whatever low power mode it enforces?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Because? It's only supposed to do it if the phone hasn't been touched in hours. What are you having problems with?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

DemonMage posted:

Because? It's only supposed to do it if the phone hasn't been touched in hours. What are you having problems with?

WiFi seems to be disconnecting when not in use, first refresh fails when pulling our my phone and going directly to awful because of it, Tasker not performing tasks on time sometimes. Random like issues, but annoying.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Report the poo poo to google (that is why you are running the preview, right?) so the rest of us don't get stuck with a 9 month long beta like Lollipop has been.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
It's ridiculous that google doesn't have a solution better than the "WugFresh Nexus root toolkit," which has a painless way to install drivers and flash stock. Ostensibly the primary purpose is for rooting, but I started using it when I spent a few hours unsuccessfully flashing the L preview. Some fat neckbeard WugFresh can do what google can't.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Universal ADB driver always worked for me.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I've been enjoying most of the functionality of 5.0.2 on my Xperia Z1 except for the way that it seems to use a huge amount of resources and closes things really aggressively. If I've got a podcast on when I'm in the car and I either try to get directions or even sometimes when a message/email comes through it kills the podcast. Is there any way to stop this happening?

Also the way that Chrome now mixes its tabs with the running programs is terrible and dramatically reduces functionality, at least for me. I'm not sure if I just can't see the right way but is there an easy way to switch tabs? It's also annoying how when you OpenInANewIncognitoTab a link and then Back out of it you now get dropped to the home screen rather than the referring website. It's useful to do this when using news websites whose articles are paywalled. It's not a huge usecase but it's now completely broken, so thanks Google!

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

iajanus posted:

Also the way that Chrome now mixes its tabs with the running programs is terrible and dramatically reduces functionality, at least for me. I'm not sure if I just can't see the right way but is there an easy way to switch tabs?
Chrome settings:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

nimper posted:

Chrome settings:

Thanks! So much better! Wonder how many people prefer it the new way, it seems so hamfisted and useless.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

ilkhan posted:

Anybody else on M want to admit they aren't real happy with the super-sleep/hibernation/whatever low power mode it enforces?

My nexus 5 on the M preview just powered off due to low battery a couple minutes ago, and I hadn't charged the thing since the day after the preview was released. I also hadn't actually used it, apart from checking out the new things for a few minutes, but that's still some great standby time for an android phone.

E: I should point out that it was only connected to wifi since it has no SIM anymore.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

iajanus posted:

Thanks! So much better! Wonder how many people prefer it the new way, it seems so hamfisted and useless.

I don't know anyone that likes the merged tabs setting. It's purely Google being Google about our.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Skeezy posted:

I don't know anyone that likes the merged tabs setting. It's purely Google being Google about our.

I can say from my vast experience that this person swiped "it", and his keyboard put "our".

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

nocal posted:

It's ridiculous that google doesn't have a solution better than the "WugFresh Nexus root toolkit," which has a painless way to install drivers and flash stock. Ostensibly the primary purpose is for rooting, but I started using it when I spent a few hours unsuccessfully flashing the L preview. Some fat neckbeard WugFresh can do what google can't.

It's firmware coming from the Android developer portal intended for a development device and development isn't done on Windows. On Linux and Mac it's completely painless and Google internally only uses Macs and Linux so it's no mystery why it's like that. I'm pretty sure there's even a line somewhere on the SDK download page mentioning that Windows is a second-class citizen to them.

It just comes with the territory. I mean, doesn't Samsung's and Motorola's tools come only for Windows?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ilkhan posted:

I've not noticed it at all. Then again, my phone spends exactly zero time sat still but not charging, so maybe it simply never kicks in for me.

I did have a weird bug where Wi-Fi would drop out every 30 seconds or so but I rebooted and it went away. Also the "always allow this computer" ADB checkbox doesn't work so I have to accept it every time I plug it in. But other than that it just feels like a polished version of Lollipop.

nocal posted:

As far as I remember this tool just manually runs through a few different drivers until one works. You can do these steps manually, there's nothing magic about it. You can also get the Google driver to work using the steps that I already listed. I've done this on dozens of machines with combinations of every Nexus device since the GNex and every version of Windows since XP and have never failed to get it working within a couple of minutes.

It's dev software, if you want to use it on Windows then you should be comfortable installing a USB driver and be aware of the nuances of drivers of Windows. This is nothing specific to ADB or Google, this is just windowsdrivers.txt.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jun 10, 2015

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

iajanus posted:

I've been enjoying most of the functionality of 5.0.2 on my Xperia Z1 except for the way that it seems to use a huge amount of resources and closes things really aggressively. If I've got a podcast on when I'm in the car and I either try to get directions or even sometimes when a message/email comes through it kills the podcast. Is there any way to stop this happening?

Unfortunately, no; this is just a memory management bug that crops up on some phones for Android 5.0-5.0.2. For example, my Nexus 4 never saw the problem, but both Motorola phones (2014 G and 2014 X) that I've had get it. It's pretty frustrating to have to reboot your phone every couple days to get more than a few regular apps running at once.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

iajanus posted:

I think it is fine. The only thing I'd change is to bring back the swipe left or right on the address bar to change tabs. I'm not sure I prefer it this way though.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
Yay. I got a new phone finally! My battery now lasts a day! Samsung S6. Now to pretty it up.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

LastInLine posted:

It's firmware coming from the Android developer portal intended for a development device and development isn't done on Windows. On Linux and Mac it's completely painless and Google internally only uses Macs and Linux so it's no mystery why it's like that. I'm pretty sure there's even a line somewhere on the SDK download page mentioning that Windows is a second-class citizen to them.

It just comes with the territory. I mean, doesn't Samsung's and Motorola's tools come only for Windows?

They're one of the largest software companies in the world and they are actively encouraging people to flash previews of their software to help them bug hunt.

The very least they could do is provide a zip file with all of the drivers needed per device.

Even if you are you are using the developer angle, it hurts their cause since I'm sure there are active windows shops out there writing apps for their devices. The last thing they want to do is make it harder on people to test different versions of their OS on devices.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I'm working on a TInyCore VM image that includes ADB and fast boot. Maybe I'll have it done today.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

The very least they could do is provide a zip file with all of the drivers needed per device.
It's a single driver file that works on every (Nexus) device, couldn't get much simpler.

bull3964 posted:

Even if you are you are using the developer angle, it hurts their cause since I'm sure there are active windows shops out there writing apps for their devices. The last thing they want to do is make it harder on people to test different versions of their OS on devices.
If you are Windows shop writing Android software and you haven't figured out how to install a USB driver yet then you probably have bigger problems than not being able to try out Android M. I work in a Windows shop writing Android software and it's really not a problem.

I used to do support for mailing printers and let me tell you there that the driver situation was a hundred times worse. But do you know what? You could mostly fix it by deleting the device repeatedly to clear out the garbage drivers that Windows somehow decides to use and then applying the correct driver. This is just how drivers are on Windows.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jun 10, 2015

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I'm working on a TInyCore VM image that includes ADB and fast boot. Maybe I'll have it done today.

Now that is cool as hell.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bull3964 posted:

They're one of the largest software companies in the world and they are actively encouraging people to flash previews of their software to help them bug hunt.

They're encouraging DEVELOPERS to flash previews of their software to both bug hunt and so their apps can be updated to the new software. No normal consumer should be flashing preview software to their personal phones. No normal consumer should ever NEED to install ADB at all. That they do is a massive failing of Google's approach to Android.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

It literally says developer preview on the file and all over the page. It doesn't say end user preview.

To be honest, Android is fairly friendly to the end user. I wouldn't call it absolutely friendly but ICS and forward have been progressively more polished along those lines. The only thing my mother (who still confuses megabits and gigabits and RAM with HDD space) has an issue with was the usage of multiple google accounts with stuff like gmail and photos, and even then it was more "this doesn't remind me off the bat, I hate having to go check the menu" as opposed to some syncing problem.

The average user likely doesn't need to install ADB but the average user isn't going to parse subtle levels of broke/bricked if their phone doesn't turn on. They'll just take it to the store and have it fixed or replaced.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

No normal consumer should ever NEED to install ADB at all. That they do is a massive failing of Google's approach to Android.

What consumers do install ADB? If you're someone who isn't a poster in this thread, if your phone flakes out you're going to RMA it or take it to the carrier shop where you bought it, not go chase a bunch of drivers and try to flash stuff on your phone.

And I'd say it's at least even money that the N5 issue in question is due to the flash memory going bad, anyway. If a partition goes altogether unmountable that sounds like just as likely, if not more so, to be a hardware failure over anything else.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Tunga posted:

It's a single driver file that works on every (Nexus) device, couldn't get much simpler.

I've never been able to get it to recognize my Nexus 10 with that driver file. I've always had to use alternatives.

quote:

If you are Windows shop writing Android software and you haven't figured out how to install a USB driver yet then you probably have bigger problems than not being able to try out Android M. I work in a Windows shop writing Android software and it's really not a problem.

I used to do support for mailing printers and let me tell you there that the driver situation was a hundred times worse. But do you know what? You could mostly fix it by deleting the device repeatedly to clear out the garbage drivers that Windows somehow decides to use and then applying the correct driver. This is just how drivers are on Windows.

There's also no reason to make it harder than it should be. Management overhead for different android versions is an oft pointed to reason as to why people shy away from developing for android in the first place. Google can do better and they should do better.

There's also zero reason why they can't have this functionality baked into ChromeOS, but they don't. Because, you know, Google.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

iajanus posted:

I like it, but I wonder how many of the users who don't like it are ones that leave like 30 tabs open or something. Usually when I open a tab in chrome on my phone or tablet, I look up what I need to look up and just close it when I'm done.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

kitten smoothie posted:

What consumers do install ADB? If you're someone who isn't a poster in this thread, if your phone flakes out you're going to RMA it or take it to the carrier shop where you bought it, not go chase a bunch of drivers and try to flash stuff on your phone.

And I'd say it's at least even money that the N5 issue in question is due to the flash memory going bad, anyway. If a partition goes altogether unmountable that sounds like just as likely, if not more so, to be a hardware failure over anything else.
The only people buying Nexus phones are ones in this thread (and XDA), so the overlap of people using ADB and people who install ADB is pretty big.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I like it, but I wonder how many of the users who don't like it are ones that leave like 30 tabs open or something. Usually when I open a tab in chrome on my phone or tablet, I look up what I need to look up and just close it when I'm done.

If that's all you do then what difference does it make?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Desk Lamp posted:

If that's all you do then what difference does it make?

Well, I would imagine people don't like combing through 30 tabs in their recent apps list since that's where the new UI puts them.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Well, I went to the T-Mobile store like LastInLine suggested. The only phones they had that fit my size requirements were some lower-end Alcatels, a Galaxy Avant, and the iPhone 5/6. The 5c with 8g of memory was $450, the other iPhones were $600+ and the Avant was $200.

Will a 2013 Moto X start to have problems like a 2 year old phone even if it's new rather than used? Because none of the options at the store are the least bit appealing.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Will a 2013 Moto X start to have problems like a 2 year old phone even if it's new rather than used? Because none of the options at the store are the least bit appealing.

The X is still a really good phone for the price. It's probably held up against time better than most thanks to Moto's light touch with UI skinning and generally decent hardware sourcing but when you get down to brass tacks it's still a 2-year old phone. The camera is by most accounts just north of mediocre, but the performance aspect of the hardware probably isn't going to have any glaring problems unless you want to play really resource-intensive games that might not scale well to older hardware.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Well, I went to the T-Mobile store like LastInLine suggested. The only phones they had that fit my size requirements were some lower-end Alcatels, a Galaxy Avant, and the iPhone 5/6. The 5c with 8g of memory was $450, the other iPhones were $600+ and the Avant was $200.

Eh, idk. Phones have slowed down a lot the past 2 years or so in terms of updates to processing power. The only thing that can really gently caress it up is OS updates. I used a Galaxy S4 which is coming up on two years old for awhile and it still flew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Is there anywhere but etradesupply to get a legit oem battery (for a nexus 5 specifically). Its just hard to spend $10 shipping on a $12 battery.