Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Oh. Well why would you do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

hooah posted:

Oh. Well why would you do that?

Because you assume pressing done would accomplish the same thing as pressing okay

devoir
Nov 16, 2007
Had scroll jerkiness issues on HTC one m7. Turned off hardware acceleration, killed app and started again. Seems to have fixed it.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
I still get loading failed

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

midnightclimax posted:

I still get loading failed

Same and I can't really reproduce it. Sometimes it works flawlessly for a few hours, sometimes it logs me out every 30 seconds. Clearing data works for a short time, then the problem reappears. :smith:

Nexus 5 / 5.1 (I also have an ancient Asus Transformer where it never occured)

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I get the loading failed message, but don't get logged out. 2014 Moto X, 5.0.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

My gut tells me the loading failed is a result of forums crappiness and the logging out is a bug in awful but it's just a hunch

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

spankmeister posted:

My gut tells me the loading failed is a result of forums crappiness and the logging out is a bug in awful but it's just a hunch

All I know is I haven't had a credentials loss since I turned off the fancy embeds.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Sir Unimaginative posted:

All I know is I haven't had a credentials loss since I turned off the fancy embeds.
I have embeds turned off in my forum settings (and in the app, I guess) and it's never logged me out.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

hooah posted:

I get the loading failed message, but don't get logged out. 2014 Moto X, 5.0.

I get loading failed sometimes if I use the task-switcher to switch back to Awful after it's been sitting in the background for a little while. Never been logged out by the app either, though. Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7inch on 4.4.4 (lol @ that name)

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
I have disabled video and webm embeds and so far it has been quiet. You guys might be onto something! :angel:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Honj Steak posted:

I have disabled video and webm embeds and so far it has been quiet. You guys might be onto something! :angel:

This checks out since I have zero issues and have everything disabled to save my battery (and my hands because my phone gets hot when using awful with all that poo poo turned on)

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

The latest update is fuckin' weird on my phone. The forums list and thread list in a forum always display as half-screen-width columns which makes them really loving difficult to read on my S3. Any way I can go back to the old full-screen display style?

Edit:

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 10, 2015

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Are you in phone layout mode in the options? You might need to close and restart the app to get it to kick in, or maybe just rotate the screen or something

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

baka kaba posted:

Are you in phone layout mode in the options? You might need to close and restart the app to get it to kick in, or maybe just rotate the screen or something
Derp.

Thanks. Didn't even notice that option.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
Quick Q: Can I get the old thread tags back?

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
The app hasn't been logging me out for the last 10 hours! It really seems that activating the webm embeds was the problem. I didn't use this very often anyways. Thanks a lot! :v:

Admiral_eX_laX
Jul 8, 2009

Historically Inaccurate
For some reason the app no longer prompts me to display gifs inline anymore. It always wants to display them in a separate browser window. Updating the app didn't help. What do?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Admiral_eX_laX posted:

For some reason the app no longer prompts me to display gifs inline anymore. It always wants to display them in a separate browser window. Updating the app didn't help. What do?

Check Settings -> Posts -> Always Open Links and see if it got switched to on accidentally.

Admiral_eX_laX
Jul 8, 2009

Historically Inaccurate

site posted:

Check Settings -> Posts -> Always Open Links and see if it got switched to on accidentally.

that fixed it. thank you!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

site posted:

I do this to myself all the drat time and if you ask me the option should be removed from the context menu and should be just in the settings.

Thorgot
Apr 4, 2010

welcome posted:

Same, on Droid Turbo. Forum and thread indexes are fine but scrolling inside a thread is awful stuttery since last update.

Same, also on a turbo. Android 4.4.4.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Thorgot posted:

Same, also on a turbo. Android 4.4.4.

Try a different theme and report back.

Thorgot
Apr 4, 2010

Sereri posted:

I'm cured! Both dark and classic are snappy, didn't try the others.Thanks.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Thorgot posted:

I'm cured! Both dark and classic are snappy, didn't try the others.Thanks.

Ugh. I upped the shadows to make it more similar to what Google actually uses. Do you have hardware acceleration disabled in the settings by any chance?

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I noticed that somehow Settings -> Device and navigation -> Hardware acceleration got turned off on my Turbo. I don't remember touching it.

Turned it back on, and everything is super smooth again. :shrug:

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The app isn't always loading new posts. I've even posted a new reply to one only to have the thread not display it.

Thorgot
Apr 4, 2010

Sereri posted:

Ugh. I upped the shadows to make it more similar to what Google actually uses. Do you have hardware acceleration disabled in the settings by any chance?

Mogomra posted:

I noticed that somehow Settings -> Device and navigation -> Hardware acceleration got turned off on my Turbo. I don't remember touching it.

Turned it back on, and everything is super smooth again. :shrug:

Scrolling down to the bottom of "Device and navigation" turns off the setting for me. Turning it on and then exiting settings without scrolling down fixed the lag on all themes as well.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Thorgot posted:

Scrolling down to the bottom of "Device and navigation" turns off the setting for me. Turning it on and then exiting settings without scrolling down fixed the lag on all themes as well.

Yep, that did it for me too. Makes sense because I went through all the setting recently just to see what was what. I don't think I had actually touched them in at least a year before that.

Mogomra fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 12, 2015

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Thorgot posted:

Can confirm, making the Device and Navigation pane scrollable and then scrolling down to the bottom turns off hardware acceleration for some reason.

E: scrolling toggles Disable GIFs Animations off as well it seems

site fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jun 12, 2015

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I can't see that at all - what version of Android are you on? Does it happen in the single pane portrait view?

e- wait I see it in this emulator

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009

Sereri posted:

Using classic also fixed me: gen1 motox

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Ok the preferences thing is google's fault. Let's all blame google
https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=26194
Should be aight next update, so that would be a good time to go through and check everything's set right!

This might explain why people are getting weird layouts (like tablet layout on phones) and maybe other stuff you're not meant to be able to turn on...

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

How do you fix the log out after loading failed bug. Getting old typing out my longass password every few minutes.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

How do you fix the log out after loading failed bug. Getting old typing out my longass password every few minutes.

Disable video and webm embeds.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'll clarify what my problem is. With some threads the app won't load new posts. It will say new posts were written, I can even have written one of them in the app, but it will only display the last page I viewed on the app from however many hours or days earlier. Refreshing or restarting the phone don't resolve the problem.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Honj Steak posted:

Disable video and webm embeds.

Is this really what causes it?

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Is this really what causes it?

I've had 10-20 logouts per day before I disabled the embeds. Since then there has been virtually none, so I suppose it's highly likely.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
On the other hand, I've had them enabled and don't have the same issue. But I'm on a stock Moto X 2013, and no one who's actually having the issue is willing to part with the model of their device or the Android version they're using. My guess is they don't want to be shamed for using a Samsung device or a niche XDA nightly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

anthonypants posted:

On the other hand, I've had them enabled and don't have the same issue. But I'm on a stock Moto X 2013, and no one who's actually having the issue is willing to part with the model of their device or the Android version they're using. My guess is they don't want to be shamed for using a Samsung device or a niche XDA nightly.

Not true. I already wrote it last page: Nexus 5 @5.1 :colbert: