Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Athas posted:

Why isn't there a year of Linux on the compute server thread? I need to ask opinions about OpenSuSE. Can I just pretend it's for desktop?

lol at europeans using suse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
what's the latest in linux news. has there been any hilarious melodrama among the codewarriors of cyberspace? let me know

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

what's the latest in linux news. has there been any hilarious melodrama among the codewarriors of cyberspace? let me know

the head of kubuntu was forced out

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

behead those who insult kubuntu

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
this is my linux story

the last time i tried installing linux the bootloader couldn't install and then i reformatted the linux partition and then instaled it again and i had the same problem but then the third time i did this it inexplicably worked

this was my linux story thank you for reading it

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

is anybody else cool enough to use nixos?

i use it for my desktop, but not on my workservers yet. i really should though. it's pretty boss.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

so loving future posted:

i use it for my desktop, but not on my workservers yet. i really should though. it's pretty boss.

what's its killerapp?

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

what's its killerapp?

nix package manager + declarative, reproducible, rollbackable system configuration

it's pretty holy grail, except for the fact that the config language is basically the worst and least intuitive thing any human could have ever possibly invented

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Captain Foo posted:

forced how?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

forced how?

https://lwn.net/Articles/645973/

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

contempt of community council?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Sometimes when I browse SA using Epiphany the font kerning is turbo-hosed as opposed to just regular-hosed

idk if I should blame Freetype/Pango/whatever or I should blame the shambling horror that is the forums CSS (plus whatever web fonts it might or might load at any given moment while changes are being yolo-tested in production)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mr Dog posted:

Freetype/Pango/whatever

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

so loving future posted:

nix package manager + declarative, reproducible, rollbackable system configuration

it's pretty holy grail, except for the fact that the config language is basically the worst and least intuitive thing any human could have ever possibly invented

my requirements for a distro is that it must be exactly the same as all other distros but change the look and feel in some minor way championed by the author. this appears to be trying something fundamentally different, do they think they're better than everyone else?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Mr Dog posted:

Sometimes when I browse SA using Epiphany

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

gabensraum posted:

my requirements for a distro is that it must be exactly the same as all other distros but change the look and feel in some minor way championed by the author. this appears to be trying something fundamentally different, do they think they're better than everyone else?

oh you're one of those folks that thinks a distro is a window manager lol OMG UNITY IS HORRIBLE I CANT EVEN USE UBUNTU NOW

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

so loving future posted:

oh you're one of those folks that thinks a distro is a window manager lol OMG UNITY IS HORRIBLE I CANT EVEN USE UBUNTU NOW

not sure if ur a yospos culture fit hoss

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Smythe posted:

not sure if ur a yospos culture fit hoss

pretty sure the correct response is "thanks"?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Suspicious Dish posted:

do you know if the application uses standard server-side decorations or if it is doing its own thing? from the custom setup you described it sounds like the app is skipping wm decorations, in which case there's not much the wm can do

the main 'application' we run on these systems is gnome-terminal and that's where I see the issue. our own software is sufficiently alpha that it's 100% text ui, and no fancy poo poo like *curses or even color codes either

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
ok, that's server-side stuff, and i just verified here that changing that setting affects border width on gnome-terminal here. not sure what's going on with you, but i don't really have a copy of fedora 17 to test with.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Subjunctive posted:

forced how?

you can't force how

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

so loving future posted:

i didn't even know what linux was in 1997 but installed red hat 4.2 because i saw enlightenment screenshots so guilty i guess

postscritp: didn't get enlightenment working but i did eventually figure out i had to type startx to get a gui

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
http://what.thedailywtf.com/t/enlightened/8795

EFL is apparently pretty bad

quote:

It was written by a C programmer who “doesn’t like the notion of ‘type’ in programming”. Let that be a prelude of what’s to follow.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

eschaton posted:

you can't force how

i like it

how, that is

pram
Jun 10, 2001

quote:

Everything is a pointer to something called Evas_Object, which translates to void *. Those knowledgeable in the horrible language of C know it’s a pointer to anything. And so it is. Everything you create is an Evas_Object and every function takes an Evas_Object as the subject to work on.

lol

moonshine is......
Feb 21, 2007

Here's my linux trip report, I installed Debian. The wifi card was a problem and dropped connection at random intervals and required a full ifconfig cycling to get it working again. I searched all over and entered lsusb results and all that crap, and finally found some github somewhere with rtl new, so i installed git and then did all the poo poo I had to do to get that stuff compiled and working.

Oh and my built in 4g hotspot didn't work either. There's one reference to it on google by some german guy who says it should work, but it looked like i was going to spend all night echoing poo poo into my /sys/bus/whatever to manually bind a driver to it. So I stopped that right there.

Then I didn't really use it because I was tired of fiddling with it, and since it's linux I expected to discover something else broken. So put windows 8 back on.

hth

moonshine is...... fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jun 11, 2015

moonshine is......
Feb 21, 2007

pre:
In order to unbind a device from a driver, simply write the bus id of the device to the unbind file:

echo -n "1-1:1.0" > /sys/bus/usb/drivers/ub/unbind

and the device will no longer be bound to the driver:

$ tree /sys/bus/usb/drivers/ub/
    /sys/bus/usb/drivers/ub/
    |-- bind
    |-- module -> ../../../../module/ub
    `-- unbind
yeh grandma no it's easy look simply write teh bus id of the device to the unbind file, no that won't fix it come on it's just a computer its simple we've only got 300 more steps then we can work on the otehr broken stuff!

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

moonshine is...... posted:

Here's my linux trip report, I installed Debian.

lmao you installed debian

hosed up

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
I have debian on my laptop and it is v nice :3:

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

so loving future posted:

im waiting for lenny pottering to make it usable in fedora or whatever, op

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

so loving future posted:

these look like weird makefiles. how do you do config management

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

moonshine is...... posted:

Here's my linux trip report, I installed Debian. The wifi card was a problem and dropped connection at random intervals and required a full ifconfig cycling to get it working again. I searched all over and entered lsusb results and all that crap, and finally found some github somewhere with rtl new, so i installed git and then did all the poo poo I had to do to get that stuff compiled and working.

Oh and my built in 4g hotspot didn't work either. There's one reference to it on google by some german guy who says it should work, but it looked like i was going to spend all night echoing poo poo into my /sys/bus/whatever to manually bind a driver to it. So I stopped that right there.

Then I didn't really use it because I was tired of fiddling with it, and since it's linux I expected to discover something else broken. So put windows 8 back on.

hth

congrats on wasting your precious life force on linux. don't feel too bad. im sure we've all done it at least once.

but now you've learned your lesson. dont keep "trying other distros" because its the same poo poo, different color for each one. they're all bad, and they'll all waste your time for one reason or another.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

l
i
n
u
x
the desktop

med school head
Apr 17, 2012

Last Chance posted:

congrats on wasting your precious life force on linux. don't feel too bad. im sure we've all done it at least once.

but now you've learned your lesson. dont keep "trying other distros" because its the same poo poo, different color for each one. they're all bad, and they'll all waste your time for one reason or another.

yep close thread

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

my stepdads beer posted:

these look like weird makefiles. how do you do config management

using that same awful language you write machine level config:

code:
  services = {
    xserver = {
      enable = true;
      layout = "us";
      xkbOptions = "caps:ctrl_modifier";

displayManager.lightdm.enable = true;

windowManager.xmonad = {
        enable = true;
        enableContribAndExtras = true;
      };

resolutions = [ { x = 1920; y = 1080; }
                      { x = 1440; y = 900; } ];
    }
  }
also like package versions and stuff. it's sort of neat to not have your entire system just a stateful pile of poo poo that has slowly evolved, but instead have it all written down -- without the overhead of using salt or puppet or chef

the more actually useful feature is that you have virtualenv like environments that you can develop in like, here's for a node server thingie

code:
with import <nixpkgs> {}; {
  nodeEnv = stdenv.mkDerivation {
    name = "node-env";
    buildInputs = [ stdenv pkgconfig libunistring icu expat nodejs redis which ];
    shellHook = ''
      for i in $nativeBuildInputs; do
        CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH=$CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH:$i/include
        LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:$i/lib
      done
      export CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH
      export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
    '';
  };
}
you just load that up, and you can do stuff within your isolated environment

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

Rahu posted:

I have debian on my laptop and it is v nice :3:

How old is your laptop? 2005, maybe 2008?

pram
Jun 10, 2001
nix sounds cool in theory but that is seriously unmitigated trash

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lets base our entire environment on a rats nest of some proprietary language. ftw.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

pram posted:

unix sounds cool in theory but is seriously unmitigated trash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001