Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tias posted:

Now I want to hear about gigantic gunz. Didn't Saddam Hussein plan for something 'eavy enough to shoot the moon at one point?

guns guns guns

HEY GAL posted:

Mons Meg (1449)

Crazy Maggie (Dulle Griet, some time before the 1450s)

Pumhart von Steyr (Likewise early 15th c)

You know what a good name for a big gun is? Big Gun. (1408, belonged to the Teutonic Order)

Lazy Slut (Faule Mette, 1411)
(Many supergun names also function as things you can yell while you are trying to transport them)

Neat, the caption reads
The largest gun in Germany,
known as the Lazy Slut,
was last fired in the year 1650.

Remember when someone asked how long you could keep using an early modern cannon?

Lazy Maggie (Faule Grete, 1409, belonged to the Knights of Saint John of Jerusalem)

GUNS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Is that a horribly formed D in Deutschland? Or is it Teutschland?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

FAUXTON posted:

Is that a horribly formed D in Deutschland? Or is it Teutschland?
that's a T, it's a common misspelling because in some accents at the time it sounded the same. maybe now too? idk, i never leave the basement

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
TEUTSLAND :black101:

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Sometimes people (in Austria) pronounce Deutschland like "Teutschland", if something is a bit too german.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

P-Mack posted:

Bows remained in use, either among militia without guns, or, much more effectively, by the Manchu and Mongol bannermen. As most of the war took place in the south, bows would see limited use. Crossbows would also see use, most famously the repeating zhuge-nu during the second opium war, which we'll get to later. (If I'm lucky, this is where JaucheCharly jumps in with everything you could ever want to know about Manchu bows.)

The armies were thoroughly up to date with the 19th century in one respect, though. Outside of the banner cavalry, almost no one wears any significant armor.

Usage of the bow already started to decline in favor to firearms by the beginning of the 18th century. While the mongols dropped the usage of the bow entirely by then, bannermen were required to train it per edict.

http://www.manchustudiesgroup.org/2013/03/09/the-solon-way-2012-edition/

Peter's site is a good source of information, and there's always literature references if you're interested.

http://www.manchuarchery.org/articles-manchu-archery

These arrows are almost like javelins. Huge and heavy. For comparison, an english livery arrow has around 63g, these have close to 100g.

http://www.manchuarchery.org/manchu-war-arrows

I'm too lazy and don't have time, but there's some photos of Qing matchlocks on Peter's FB account, see if you can access it. He also has lots of other antiquities like sabers, etc.

https://www.facebook.com/dekkerpeter/media_set?set=a.10150091424802087.275156.620262086&type=3

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Due to the unique way the British Empire defends freedom and liberal democracy, civilians in Sri Lanka will soon find themselves being tried under military law. Not only that, but they'll be tried by Field General Court Martial rather than by anything more permanent and regulated. Which is exactly how an empire committed to justice and righteousness deals with ethno-religious rioting in its domains. Obviously. God save the King-Emperor.

In mildly less depressing news, Louis Barthas's rest billets are in the "Wolves' Ditch" (and it's literally a ditch), and General Cadorna has ordered a halt while he rethinks his strategy for the Italian army. Perhaps they could fight a set-piece battle of some sort near the River Isonzo? I'm sure that will go swimmingly, hahaha.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Chamale posted:

I think that photo is of a punt gun, though it is a similar weapon. The men, clothing, and architecture certainly look Western and not Chinese.

Yes- I just love that picture, though.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Tias posted:

TEUTSLAND :black101:

What with all the sausage and kraut and beer, no kidding.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Tias posted:

Now I want to hear about gigantic gunz. Didn't Saddam Hussein plan for something 'eavy enough to shoot the moon at one point?

Not really to shoot at the moon, but in theory it was supposed to be able to put satellites in low earth orbit. 1 meter in diameter, 150 meters long barrel, :science: as gently caress.

Project Babylon
http://www.astronautix.com/lvs/babongun.htm

This is a piece of a gun, two sections bolted together - real thing would have 44 sections, so twenty two times bigger than that thing in the picture.

I don't think you can get anything more GUNS GUNS GUNS than this.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Tias posted:

Gerald Bull was a Canadian artillery expert that worked on Project HARP, which stood for High Altitude Research Project. The aim of the project was to explore the possibility of using very large guns to shoot objects into space. The project ran from 1961 to 1966. The Project HARP gun was a 16-inch (410 mm) US Navy gun that was modified to a barrel length of 40m.

After Project HARP, Bull eventually found himself in the employ of Saddam Hussein, who wanted him to build similar superguns, under the codename Project Babylon. They got as far as "Baby Babylon", which was a prototype that had an range of about 750 km. That wouldn't have been enough to reach Israel from where it was placed. Baby Babylon had a bore of 350 mm and a barrel that was 46 meters long.

The next planned gun, Big Babylon, was supposed to have been a true "space gun" - it was larger than both Baby Babylon and the gun that Bull worked with during Project HARP. It's unclear what this gun might have been used for though, because while it most likely would have been able to achieve its goal of hurling satellites into space, that would not have had any direct military applications.

This Big Babylon gun would have had a bore of 1 meter and a barrel that was 156 meters long.

Bull was assassinated in March 1990, possibly by Mossad, and these works were not advanced nor completed until ultimately the project materials were dismantled and confiscated by UN inspectors after the Gulf War.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

JaucheCharly posted:

Usage of the bow already started to decline in favor to firearms by the beginning of the 18th century. While the mongols dropped the usage of the bow entirely by then, bannermen were required to train it per edict.

http://www.manchustudiesgroup.org/2013/03/09/the-solon-way-2012-edition/

Peter's site is a good source of information, and there's always literature references if you're interested.

http://www.manchuarchery.org/articles-manchu-archery

These arrows are almost like javelins. Huge and heavy. For comparison, an english livery arrow has around 63g, these have close to 100g.

http://www.manchuarchery.org/manchu-war-arrows

I'm too lazy and don't have time, but there's some photos of Qing matchlocks on Peter's FB account, see if you can access it. He also has lots of other antiquities like sabers, etc.

https://www.facebook.com/dekkerpeter/media_set?set=a.10150091424802087.275156.620262086&type=3

Thanks for the links. You touch on an important point, that above and beyond their military purpose, the banner armies served as a means of preserving a distinct Manchu cultural identity.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

gradenko_2000 posted:

Gerald Bull was a Canadian artillery expert that worked on Project HARP, which stood for High Altitude Research Project. The aim of the project was to explore the possibility of using very large guns to shoot objects into space. The project ran from 1961 to 1966. The Project HARP gun was a 16-inch (410 mm) US Navy gun that was modified to a barrel length of 40m.

After Project HARP, Bull eventually found himself in the employ of Saddam Hussein, who wanted him to build similar superguns, under the codename Project Babylon. They got as far as "Baby Babylon", which was a prototype that had an range of about 750 km. That wouldn't have been enough to reach Israel from where it was placed. Baby Babylon had a bore of 350 mm and a barrel that was 46 meters long.

The next planned gun, Big Babylon, was supposed to have been a true "space gun" - it was larger than both Baby Babylon and the gun that Bull worked with during Project HARP. It's unclear what this gun might have been used for though, because while it most likely would have been able to achieve its goal of hurling satellites into space, that would not have had any direct military applications.

This Big Babylon gun would have had a bore of 1 meter and a barrel that was 156 meters long.

Bull was assassinated in March 1990, possibly by Mossad, and these works were not advanced nor completed until ultimately the project materials were dismantled and confiscated by UN inspectors after the Gulf War.

This began to sound incredibly familiar and I think I've seen the HBO movie about the project.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

HEY GAL posted:

Mons Meg (1449)

Which I have put my upper torso in.

Then my wife and I went down the hill a ways and got poo poo-faced on single malt.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
It's a real shame that Bull was killed, IMHO. The gun based technique could have greatly reduced the cost of spaceflight, and showed much promise. It's darkly ironic that a project cancelled in the US for being insufficiently interesting to the military, was still military enough in the eyes of Mossad to get a man murdered.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
FYI actual historian sperglords: I am available to do runs to archives in the London area to look at poo poo for you for the next month or so, within reason.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Disinterested posted:

FYI actual historian sperglords: I am available to do runs to archives in the London area to look at poo poo for you for the next month or so, within reason.

No offense, but most professional historians probably don't want to put "Source: A guy I asked on the Internet to look at it for me, no worries he's legit as gently caress" in a footnote.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

ArchangeI posted:

No offense, but most professional historians probably don't want to put "Source: A guy I asked on the Internet to look at it for me, no worries he's legit as gently caress" in a footnote.

There are these things called cameras, but you can also just check to see if something is in an archive to see if it's worth a trip yourself.

Ed: But I also meant I could go out and look up service records if a few people wanted me to.

Disinterested fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jun 10, 2015

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Disinterested posted:

Expanded suggestion: I know there's some mughal and persian archery equipment in one of the big London museums. Would you be willing to take some pics?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

JaucheCharly posted:

Expanded suggestion: I know there's some mughal and persian archery equipment in one of the big London museums. Would you be willing to take some pics?

Sure dude. Do you know where exactly? I know the Wallace collection has some pieces that may be of that description.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Rent-A-Cop posted:

The 19th century Western version would be the punt gun used by commercial waterfowl hunters.

That looks less like a gun and more like a propulsion system.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Thanks, I'll ask around. Ask for something in return.

e: It was indeed the Wallace collection. There's also some in the British museum depot, but you'd need to make an appointment to examine them. Apparently they're quite open to researchers.

Power Khan fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jun 10, 2015

Doc Quantum
Sep 15, 2011

Antti posted:

This began to sound incredibly familiar and I think I've seen the HBO movie about the project.

The one I'm familiar with is the Frederick Forsyth novel about an SAS dude sent to keep Saddam from firing a nuke out of Bull's supergun at Saudi Arabia during the Gulf War.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fist_of_God

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Fangz posted:

It's a real shame that Bull was killed, IMHO. The gun based technique could have greatly reduced the cost of spaceflight, and showed much promise. It's darkly ironic that a project cancelled in the US for being insufficiently interesting to the military, was still military enough in the eyes of Mossad to get a man murdered.

True but on the other hand railguns can serve the same purpose and we're making good headway there.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Fangz posted:

No offense, but everything up to and including "you took the good seat on my morning bus fare" is reason enough for Mossad to murder somebody.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

It's physically impossible to shoot something into low-earth orbit using a gun alone, although I suppose you could shoot a rocket to the correct altitude and then use thrust to keep it in orbit, or keep it from escaping Earth's gravity.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Chamale posted:

It's physically impossible to shoot something into low-earth orbit using a gun alone, although I suppose you could shoot a rocket to the correct altitude and then use thrust to keep it in orbit, or keep it from escaping Earth's gravity.

Citation needed. The material I've read suggests it's very much doable.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Isn't the trajectory you're going to get from firing an unpowered projectile upward always going to come back into the earth's atmosphere, unless it actually exits our SOI and then you're on a solar orbit anyway? That'd be the 'gun alone' part right there.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

HEY GAL posted:

no such thing

"Lets see how many barrels we can mount on this fucker!" is the rallying cry of many gunsmiths for artillery and muskets between the 15th and 19th century.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Koesj posted:

Isn't the trajectory you're going to get from firing an unpowered projectile upward always going to come back into the earth's atmosphere, unless it actually exits our SOI and then you're on a solar orbit anyway? That'd be the 'gun alone' part right there.

.... No? The moon exists, and it certainly didn't get there by rocket propulsion.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Fangz posted:

.... No? The moon exists, and it certainly didn't get there by rocket propulsion.

Lmao okay.

Chamale's right by the way, maybe you misunderstood what he was getting at?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Fangz posted:

Well, what's your definition of "gun" in this case?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Fangz posted:

The moon didn't get shot from the earth by a gun either and has the mass that other weirdness is possible. You need a circularization burn period otherwise you get an elliptical orbit intersecting the earth. Once the projectile is out of the influence of drag, the orbit will be such that the ship returns to that relative position and velocity unless it encounters some form of drag or impact, which since there's an earth in the way of that orbit, will lead to a collision.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

A sufficiently strong gun could certainly fire a vehicle into an orbital altitude, and perhaps even to a significant fraction of orbital velocity, but you WILL need further propulsion to circularize the orbit. If you launched to an extremely high orbital altitude, you might not need very much extra Δv, but you are going to need something at the top of your trajectory.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Fangz posted:

It's a fact of orbital physics. The Wikipedia article on Space Gun describes the problem, and Newton's Cannonball and non-rocket space launch have more information. Basically, an object launched into space at less than escape velocity will have a perigee (low point of trajectory) with a maximum altitude equal to the maximum altitude at which it was being accelerated. So if you shoot something out of a spacegun, even if it reaches space it will either come back down or leave the Earth's orbit. Though a rocket with a Δv of only 600 m/s could get the object to stay in orbit, depending on the space gun in question.

Fangz posted:

New studies indicate it didn't get there by a collision between Earth and another body, either.

edit: I see I've been beaten.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Koesj posted:

Presumably you wouldn't be shooting straight up, but rather at a sideways angle that would give it enough horizontal velocity to achieve most of a proper orbit. Put some stubby wings on it and it'd be basically an unpowered spaceplane.

Still, it'd be supremely difficult to build a useful spacecraft rugged enough to survive the absolutely ridiculous acceleration. To reach low earth orbit with a traditional spacecraft, you need to achieve a total change in velocity of about 10 km/s. That spacecraft has the luxury of spreading out its acceleration throughout the whole ascent and perform much of it once its at an altitude where the atmospheric drag will be severely reduced. A projectile from a gun needs to have that entire acceleration (and then some to account for the severely increased air resistance) happen while it's still traveling along the gun's barrel, and even if that's several hundred meters long that still results in forces that would put immense stress on the internals of the craft and would turn humans into mush.

All things considered, we'd probably have better luck getting stuff into space by shooting lasers at it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beam-powered_propulsion :science:

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i want to see a ground-based space flak cannon

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Perestroika posted:

All things considered, we'd probably have better luck getting stuff into space by shooting lasers at it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beam-powered_propulsion :science:

I WAS PROMISED PROJECT ORION WHERE IS MY NUCLEAR BOMB POWERED SPACECRAFT :mad:

e:

Fangz posted:

intercepting the projectile and circularising it [...] minor issues.

:stare:

Koesj fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jun 10, 2015

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Okay, okay, I misunderstood. But I don't think adding some kind of guidance mechanism in the atmospheric phase is that insurmountable an obstacle. Or have some method of intercepting the projectile and circularising it. Of course it may also be more efficient to only shoot part of the way up and go the rest by rocket power. And yes, high acceleration means this method is bad for manned flights.

But these seem like minor issues.

EDIT: ^^^ Compared to the core problem of getting enough delta-vee? Yes, those are minor issues to me. Worth noting that the exact same issues apply to railgun based methods, with the difference there being that the core problem is unsolved.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jun 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Waroduce posted:

:eng99:

Shes pretty hot but if she likes ancient aliens im just gunna walk on principle

From the last page, but I'm disappointed nobody referenced the well known documentary on the subject.

• Locked thread