Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

The Nastier Nate posted:

I'll summarize for anyone who didn't read:

11 year old Chandra's parents are artisans in a big city on the plane of Kaladesh, Chandra get's tapped to be a courier transporting illegal magic goods.
On her first assignment she get's stopped by the police, makes fire out of her hands, manages to find a friendly contact who helps her escape into a factory which she promptly blows up.

Chandra returns home, tells her parents what she did and they tell her she's a pyromancer, shortly after they go out on the run in the outskirts and villages around the city.

She burns things in the woods, and her dad gives her a magic box to help her control her fire.

The 5-0 eventually find her, raid the village, kill her father in front of her and her mother is presumed dead. She sets an entire village on fire during the raid and gets caught and taken in to be executed in a public arena for being a menace to soceity.

Right before the executioners blade (the masked executioner is the guy who killed her father) comes down she melts the magic box and bursts into an explosive rage of fiery goodness (probably killing everything around her), and inadvertently planeswalks to a monastery of pyromancers who welcome her.

i think its dominaria if I'm remembering that chart right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Chandra planeswalks right to the school where she trains in pyromancy. Checks out.

forbidden lesbian posted:

i think its dominaria if I'm remembering that chart right

Its Regatha. Home of the firecats.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jun 10, 2015

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Someone who knows the lore better can fill in, but I believe Chandra was trained at a school founded by the teachings of Jaya Ballard.

I would give anything for new Jaya Ballard quotes on red cards.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Chandra planeswalks right to the school where she trains in pyromancy. Checks out.

Its Regatha. Home of the firecats.

Man I need an easy way to find that chart -_-

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Man I need an easy way to find that chart -_-

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Also the goggles have ~~emotional significance~~ because her parents did a lot of welding.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

She doesn't burn the village, the guards do to blame it on her as a pretext for her execution, and apparently they did such a good frame job they even convinced you.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

She doesn't burn the village, the guards do to blame it on her as a pretext for her execution, and apparently they did such a good frame job they even convinced you.

I hope they at least apologized afterward and gave her some gold.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Mr. Peepers posted:

Also the goggles have ~~emotional significance~~ because her parents did a lot of welding.

But do they do anything?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

thanks

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Oooh they're good. I suspect that Baral will show up
On a card somewhere (maybe a legendary white creature ) or may even be still alive if we ever visit kaladesh.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I know regatha has firecats and stuff but what set was it actually in?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

I know regatha has firecats and stuff but what set was it actually in?

Chandra Core Set, aka 2014.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Someone who knows the lore better can fill in, but I believe Chandra was trained at a school founded by the teachings of Jaya Ballard.

Yeah she mentions Jaya training her in one of the early fluff comics about her:

The line isn't as good as "You should fight everything with fire" but I mean the attempt is there I guess

Mr. Peepers posted:

Also a callback to Jaya since Jaya was in TSP and Chandra in LOR. Plus Jaya's card is templated kind of like a planeswalker.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

The Nastier Nate posted:

I'll summarize for anyone who didn't read:

11 year old Chandra's parents are artisans in a big city on the plane of Kaladesh, Chandra get's tapped to be a courier transporting illegal magic goods.
On her first assignment she get's stopped by the police, makes fire out of her hands, manages to find a friendly contact who helps her escape into a factory which she promptly blows up.

Chandra returns home, tells her parents what she did and they tell her she's a pyromancer, shortly after they go out on the run in the outskirts and villages around the city.

She burns things in the woods, and her dad gives her a magic box to help her control her fire.

The 5-0 eventually find her, raid the village, kill her father in front of her and her mother is presumed dead. She sets an entire village on fire during the raid and gets caught and taken in to be executed in a public arena for being a menace to soceity.

Right before the executioners blade (the masked executioner is the guy who killed her father) comes down she melts the magic box and bursts into an explosive rage of fiery goodness (probably killing everything around her), and inadvertently planeswalks to a monastery of pyromancers who welcome her.

Thank you

Grim stuff.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

i wish i could burn the magic lore

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Rinkles posted:

Thank you

Grim stuff.

her home city is basically (somewhat) dystopian steampunk venice

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

The Nastier Nate posted:

Oooh they're good. I suspect that Baral will show up
On a card somewhere (maybe a legendary white creature ) or may even be still alive if we ever visit kaladesh.

Pretty sure Chandra set him on fire.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

(TCG mid = $84.50)

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 10, 2015

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Gotta admit, all the art for Kaladesh makes me want to have a set be located there exclusively.

The flavor is neat, too, I think. An entire plane of inventors, where, for most, magic is limited to those with access to aether, but the usual wizards exist as a hunted few. The "invention" theme seems like it'd tickle MaRo's fancy.

Easy makings of another equipment matters block, this time with "lots of activated abilities" as the gimmick.

Henron
Feb 19, 2010

Arms held out
In your Jesus Christ pose
I'd be shocked if the Red Mythics were bad.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Boxman posted:

The flavor is neat, too, I think. An entire plane of inventors, where, for most, magic is limited to those with access to aether, but the usual wizards exist as a hunted few. The "invention" theme seems like it'd tickle MaRo's fancy.

Easy makings of another equipment matters block, this time with "lots of activated abilities" as the gimmick.

contraptions confirmed

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Welp, if you don't have your snapcasters now, enjoy waiting for Modern Masters 2017.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Henron posted:

I'd be shocked if the Red Mythics were bad.

We know 2 red mythics in Origins and both of them are bad.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

contraptions confirmed

Beat me to it

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

red mythics are bad.

You're always so superfluous. :v:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Serperoth posted:

You're always so superfluous. :v:

Its easy to fix: take the good red cards and make them mythic.

Mythic Lightning Bolt
Mythic Goblin Guide
Mythic Blood Moon

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
lightning bolt should be given its own rarity called super-common that shows up in every pack

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i yearn for a world where every draft is just fighting over red

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Oh Modern :allears:

...can we unban Jace yet? He's not that broken at all.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jun 10, 2015

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Angry Grimace posted:

I do think JTMS should be unbanned in Modern but bear in mind that if he were he'd be $180+ (due to scarcity and hype and price memory).

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

i yearn for a world where every draft is just fighting over red

Red was probably the best overall color in Rise of the Eldrazi:

Flame Slash, Heat Ray, Staggershock, Emrakul's Hatcher were all very good and splashable commons that went into multiple decks. At uncommon there was Rapacious One, Brimstone Mage, Explosive Revelation, Forked Bolt, and Lust for War.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Free Jace or free Dig Through Time

I am fine with either

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Angry Grimace posted:

We know 2 red mythics in Origins and both of them are bad.

The dragon is decidedly meh, but what was the other?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

bhsman posted:

Um the other is Chandra. The idea is that the posted fake spoiler is plausible.

I mean, I'm still hoping for another playable Chandra but v:shobon:v.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

bhsman posted:

Fire of Kaladesh

Which we don't actually know is a real card yet

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Zoness posted:

Flame Slash, Heat Ray, Staggershock, Emrakul's Hatcher were all very good and splashable commons that went into multiple decks. At uncommon there was Rapacious One, Brimstone Mage, Explosive Revelation, Forked Bolt, and Lust for War.

I'm actually wondering if they're going to be reprinting Lightning Strike (or maybe Searing Spear?) in Origins or BfZ. It would be kind of dumb to have that rotate out of standard without a functional reprint (or something better).

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Zoness posted:

yeah I know but i want it to be like, super in your face about red being the best and putting lightning bolt in every pack is a really easy way to do that

i hope they reprint rapacious one in BFZ it was such a cool card

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

I'm actually wondering if they're going to be reprinting Lightning Strike (or maybe Searing Spear?) in Origins or BfZ. It would be kind of dumb to have that rotate out of standard without a functional reprint (or something better).

It will rotate out.

And be replaced with Lightning Bolt to ring in Zendikar. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Free Jace or free Dig Through Time

I am fine with either

Free Deathrite Shaman and Birthing Pod :getin:

• Locked thread