Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bij
Feb 24, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with our country.

Christianity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

oops wrong thread

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

UCS Hellmaker posted:

From the sound of it the hospital workers can say something along these lines with no proof at all and get women arrested. Women arrested that may have just miscarried legitimately and be in emotional distress due to losing a child. So better way to put it don't say anything to your hospital workers, or do anything to piss off special snowflake ones.

Or don't risk going to the hospital in the first place. Chancing a risky pregnancy termination at home is awful but probably better than being arrested and charged with capital murder.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

A Winner is Jew posted:

As much as we mock republicans for being complete hypocrites going to restaurant that's so cheep they actually serve alcohol by the pitcher is actually being fiscally responsible.

You guys have some pretty imposing government buildings in DC. Those don't have meeting rooms?

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

richardfun posted:

You guys have some pretty imposing government buildings in DC. Those don't have meeting rooms?

I don't think the meeting rooms in the House office buildings have table service.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
So do we not call women females because some women aren't females? I use "women" personally but I never really thought about it.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The Gubmint wants to ban gun chat!!!

http://m.washingtonexaminer.com/nra-gun-blogs-videos-web-forums-threatened-by-new-obama-regulation/article/2565762

quote:

Commonly used and unregulated internet discussions and videos about guns and ammo could be closed down under rules proposed by the State Department, amounting to a "gag order on firearm-related speech," the National Rifle Association is warning.

In updating regulations governing international arms sales, State is demanding that anyone who puts technical details about arms and ammo on the web first get the OK from the federal government — or face a fine of up to $1 million and 20 years in jail.

According to the NRA, that would include blogs and web forums discussing technical details of common guns and ammunition, the type of info gun owners and ammo reloaders trade all the time.

"Gunsmiths, manufacturers, reloaders, and do-it-yourselfers could all find themselves muzzled under the rule and unable to distribute or obtain the information they rely on to conduct these activities," said the NRA in a blog posting.

I hope they turn TFR into Pravda and Ted Nugent into Baghdad Bob.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Radbot posted:

So do we not call women females because some women aren't females? I use "women" personally but I never really thought about it.

Nah, you don't call women females because you sound like a weird-rear end robot when you do.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Radbot posted:

No it's because that's what redpillers call women.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Radbot posted:

It's because 'females' is a very scientific term and it comes off as weird, like you have no familiarity with them, when you refer to people like that. It's like casually referring to other people as 'humans' like "there were a bunch of humans down at the bar last night"

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Radbot posted:

I don't know where you come from, but here on Earth all women are female. Saying "female" instead of "women" is just a weird vernacular thing that some black people, police, and evidently nerds do in a strange, planetary alignment of linguistic preferences. There's no reason to over think it.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Radbot posted:

Sounds cold and clinical and has fallen out of use more and more. Jane Austen used females a lot, but that was a while ago. It's especially weird when someone refers to males as guys or men but always uses the word female for women.

Also male and female are biological sexes that are binary rather than more amorphous gender identities.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Saying female in casual conversation makes you sound like a fedora-wearing, pasty nerd bitching about the friend zone. Hth.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

zoux posted:

Also can I get someone from Texas to tell me about DC texmex instead of all these yankee carpetbaggers acting like they know poo poo?

Tortilla Coast was picked as a meeting spot for their little group by none other than Ted Cruz, a Texan!

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Hu-mon fe-males.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

DemeaninDemon posted:

Saying female in casual conversation makes you sound like a fedora-wearing, pasty nerd bitching about the friend zone. Hth.

I like to see the females twerkin', taking their clothes off, buckey naked, ATL ho don't disrespect it. :v:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

Tortilla Coast was picked as a meeting spot for their little group by none other than Ted Cruz, a Texan!

By way of Canada ¬_¬

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Luigi Thirty posted:

The Gubmint wants to ban gun chat!!!

http://m.washingtonexaminer.com/nra-gun-blogs-videos-web-forums-threatened-by-new-obama-regulation/article/2565762

Any gun owner that takes the NRA seriously anymore deserves the stupidity they get subjected to.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

sudo rm -rf posted:

Here is an interesting response to said study:

http://neweconomicperspectives.org/...trol-fraud.html

Still a few pages back, but I'm glad for the article pointing to this inane passage in the work paper:

quote:

“We hypothesize that in attempting to comply with the CRA, banks take advantage of this regulatory feature by concentrating lending in CRA tracts to higher-income borrowers, who presumably are less risky. Consistent with this hypothesis, our results show that the effect of a CRA exam in CRA-eligible tracts indeed rises with borrower income” (ABBS 2012: 3).

Compare and contrast with this.

quote:

The Federal Reserve Board has found no connection between CRA and the subprime mortgage problems. In fact, the Board's analysis (102 KB PDF) found that nearly 60 percent of higher-priced loans went to middle- or higher-income borrowers or neighborhoods, which are not the focus of CRA activity. Additionally, about 20 percent of the higher-priced loans that were extended in low- or moderate-income areas, or to low- or moderate-income borrowers, were loans originated by lenders not covered by the CRA. Our analysis found that only six percent of all higher-priced loans were made by CRA-covered lenders to borrowers and neighborhoods targeted by the CRA. Further, our review of loan performance found that rates of serious mortgage delinquency are high in all neighborhood groups, not just in lower-income areas.

http://www.federalreserve.gov/faqs/banking_12625.htm

I love that "presumably" in the work paper, that's just idiotic. The loans that crashed the economy were primarily made to middle class and higher income people. And even they're not the ones responsible for the GFC. Its the insane securities products that leveraged them 1000 to 1 made by traders whipped by their bosses to make a cent above their competitors on every transaction that turned a housing depression into a worldwide economic calamity.

Also this http://financialreform.wolterskluwerlb.com/2009/03/occ-refutes-cra-as-cause-of-mortgage-crisis.html

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
"Females" is also used in military parlance rather than "women". I do agree that in most contexts, "female" sounds awkward and has a slight undercurrent of sexism to it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

DemeaninDemon posted:

Unless you need an adjective, in which case you should use "female" instead of "women."

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

PostNouveau posted:

Unless you need an adjective, in which case you should use "female" instead of "women."
Sure. Police reports and scientific papers are places where it's appropriate. "White female, age 32," or "the female finch has drab coloring compared to the male." If you always refer to men as men and women as females then you're probably a weirdo.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Calling women "females" is as much of a douche giveaway as putting "the" in front of an ethnic group.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

richardfun posted:

Sadly these are not a standard fixture in all meeting rooms, especially not government ones.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
More Lindsey Graham on the subject of First Ladies: "The last two have been really good."

:golfclap: Well played, Senator.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

A Winner is Jew posted:

Sadly these are not a standard fixture in all meeting rooms, especially not government ones.

how many MPM we talking about here. Did the latest margarita machine appropriations bill make it through both houses?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

zoux posted:

Women. They're called women.

They are?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

More Lindsey Graham on the subject of First Ladies: "The last two have been really good."

:golfclap: Well played, Senator.

"An opportunity to be gracious towards a potential opponent? Nah, I think I'll go with the backhanded, douchey response instead."

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Luigi Thirty posted:

Hum. Reading through the proposed CFR changes, I do think the NRA has a point here. The new exclusion in the definition of public domain would cover some of what is currently defined to be public domain information and make it regulated, with penalties for distribution. That seems bad regardless of whether the regulation actually covers a blog entry about stuff at SHOT Show or what have you.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I always thought "females" was a stilted way to discuss women casually, "ladies" has become a weird and creepy way to address women apparently, and "girls" is apparently too domineering. Women/woman is basically it I guess unless "guys" is now universial... in which case equality has come.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

eviltastic posted:

Hum. Reading through the proposed CFR changes, I do think the NRA has a point here. The new exclusion in the definition of public domain would cover some of what is currently defined to be public domain information and make it regulated, with penalties for distribution. That seems bad regardless of whether the regulation actually covers a blog entry about stuff at SHOT Show or what have you.

And I don't even want to imagine what it'll do to video game chat. No, I'm not joking.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

zoux posted:

Also can I get someone from Texas to tell me about DC texmex instead of all these yankee carpetbaggers acting like they know poo poo?

Lived in Alexandria VA for several years and even the best TexMex I found in the DC metro was mediocre. Austin Grill looked promising,being owned by an Austin transplant who was buds with Amy of Amy's Ice Creams but was just sad. We're talking somewhere around Baby A's quality

The Mediterranean and Ethiopian restaurants were fantastic. But sometimes you just really want some queso.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

Lived in Alexandria VA for several years and even the best TexMex I found in the DC metro was mediocre. Austin Grill looked promising,being owned by an Austin transplant who was buds with Amy of Amy's Ice Creams but was just sad. We're talking somewhere around Baby A's quality

The Mediterranean and Ethiopian restaurants were fantastic. But sometimes you just really want some queso.

Just as I thought.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Dos Amigos in Alexandria is the bomb, debate over.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Boon posted:

I always thought "females" was a stilted way to discuss women casually, "ladies" has become a weird and creepy way to address women apparently, and "girls" is apparently too domineering. Women/woman is basically it I guess unless "guys" is now universial... in which case equality has come.

Chicks, dolls, lasses and broads are still all acceptable right?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

Chicks, dolls, lasses and broads are still all acceptable right?

You forgot dames

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
and babes :heysexy:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

theshim posted:

and babes :heysexy:

Floozies

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Skirts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

quote:

Jones, who has a two-year child, is now being held without bond  as state officials decide how to proceed with her case.
A page back, but why no bond for someone who has an abortion? That seems excessive.

• Locked thread