Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Well, at least he isn't making nearly 5k a month but still, nearly 4 grand for what little he's been doing? I almost take back the things I said about the Dresden Codak guy, who also tweets more then actually updates (2 weeks for a single comic page... where he just wholesale rips off scenes from other media)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Mraagvpeine posted:

I saw Fury Road and it was pretty good for what it was. Seeing those tweets is disappointing. I sort of understand his thinking, that sequels and remakes/reboots of older movies and other media tend to be unnecessary and exploitive. We can groan and moan all we like, but it's the way the movie industry is and we deal with it by appreciating the good movies that come out when they do.

Based on those tweets, how much do you want to bet that he won't give the new Star Wars movie a chance?

Just remember that Fury Road has PUA's pissed off. And even more hilariously it has a civil war going between PUA's and MRA's because apparently those camps hate each other and disagree with one another. See if for that reason alone if nothing else.

Edit: Though how many times is a sequel/remake/redux/etc done by the same director? George Miller is an old fucker now and 30+ years later went back to his old franchise. It's not like Michael Bay did this or anything. He loves what he did back then and decided he wanted to do more and it's one of the most fun movies I've ever seen, period. Christ he didn't CGI much of it and Miller did as much with practicals as he could. I mean jesus christ watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ent02yItm60

Double edit: And as far as I can tell they literally strap Tom Hardy to the front of a car. Holy poo poo.

Tracula fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jun 10, 2015

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
I remember he did a stream of him playing final fantasy 14 ARR as a review, he picked up his first quest to kill ladybugs and he rage quit, calling the game poo poo, he never even attacked anything in the game yet.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

Tracula posted:

I know that I'm being a dick at this point but part of me wishes I had been giving to Spoony on Patreon just so I could pull it.

Can't he just get beyond Thunderdome?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Cyron posted:

I remember he did a stream of him playing final fantasy 14 ARR as a review, he picked up his first quest to kill ladybugs and he rage quit, calling the game poo poo, he never even attacked anything in the game yet.

You don't even have to watch the video, just read the essay he put int he video description. It goes well beyond "I dislike/really dislike this game", its so full of vitriol and anger.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
What's PUA? And remember George Lucas who made movies for his franchise after a long time?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Mraagvpeine posted:

What's PUA? And remember George Lucas who made movies for his franchise after a long time?

Let me send you to the relevant post about what a PUA is: http://thefpl.us/episode/46

And don't forger that Lucas didn't direct Episode V or VI. This is an important thing to keep in mind.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Mraagvpeine posted:

I saw Fury Road and it was pretty good for what it was. Seeing those tweets is disappointing. I sort of understand his thinking, that sequels and remakes/reboots of older movies and other media tend to be unnecessary and exploitive. We can groan and moan all we like, but it's the way the movie industry is and we deal with it by appreciating the good movies that come out when they do.

Based on those tweets, how much do you want to bet that he won't give the new Star Wars movie a chance?

That's a really toxic viewpoint, because it's patently false. Some of the ebst movies ever made were remakes/sequels. Some of the worst movies ever made were completely original. It does not matter at all whether something is a remake or not. What matetrs is the talent and pation behind the project. It's why Fury Road is amazing and Armageddon is poo poo.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
George Miller wanted to make Fury Road in the early 90s with Mel Gibson, but it got stuck in development hell for one reason or another. Pretty much the only reason Tom Hardy is the lead is that Gibson is too old/racist now (most films that Gibson has been in post outburst have underperformed or outright flopped at the box office).It's literally the same director/writer as the first three films, uncompromised by studio mandate. Aside from not literally saying where in the canon it takes place (see earlier debates about Mad Max being an oral history, told by unreliable narrators) it's literally as good as Mad Max 2, with the same guy in charge.

I remember way back in his Robowar that there are movies you have to see, regardless of if they're good, because they're "going to be awesome". I guess Spoony forgot how to have fun since then. :smith:

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Holy poo poo. Spoony is streaming himself playing FFXIII-2 and I remarked "Oh wow, we're gonna get a review before 2016" and he blocked me on youtube :allears:

Edit: Yes it was a prick comment but to get so instablocked all things considered is pretty funny.

Tracula fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Jun 10, 2015

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Spoony's a tragedy. The guy has a disease that ruined his life and he has no one in his life to help him get better. Somebody needs to intervene before that story ends badly.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Spoony seems to be really stuck in a rut about being his Spoony "I HATE EVERYTHING" character.

Guys live AVGN and Nostalgia Critic have side projects where they discuss stuff they love. Hell, James' Monster Madness stuff is actually way more interesting and fun than any of his AVGN stuff, the same could be said of Disneycember for Doug.

I'd really like if Spoony started a side project on stuff he actually really loved, I've mentioned before but I'd bet he's have a ton of fun reviewing old wrestling shows he actually loves or even games he enjoys. The Ultima stuff was actually really fun before he got to 9, even 8 was fun because he outlined concrete reasons why it failed.

Him having a side project like Monster Madness would also increase his output since he could easily do it fairly quickly if he really loved what he was talking about.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

The story has his own support network. The story has a living wage from doing essentially nothing.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!
I was probably Spoony's biggest fan when he started in 2007. Bayou Billy, Terror Trax, good times. Back then he seemed like a chill dude who was just making videos for fun and he was pretty clearly having a blast making them. After all his meltdowns and several incidents involving him being a complete rear end to me in person and him ripping into my wife (who is working on her psych degree) on twitter just for sending him some links to help with his disorder, I'm completely done with him. It seems like his losing 2,000+/month on his patreon isn't even enough for him to wake up and realize that he's going nowhere fast. I hope all the best for him, he just seems like he has a lot of anger he needs to move past and a horde of awful nerds willing to enable his behavior isn't what he needs.

To make this post a bit less #SpoonyWatch, can I just say bravo to MikeJ for ripping into the CA anniversary films? That's ballsy right there.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Doug Walker has the most irritating voice. Or he would if he had chosen any other profession. Why can't more nerds just cultivate a nice presentation speaking voice? They're basically doing radio shows with slideshows anyway.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Spoony is a sad motherfucker but that Thieves World story is still pretty amazing.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The irony is that Spoony is a huge John Carpenter fan and loves The THing (as he should), and the thing is a remake. So to hate remakes on principle makes no sense.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Tracula posted:

Holy poo poo. Spoony is streaming himself playing FFXIII-2 and I remarked "Oh wow, we're gonna get a review before 2016" and he blocked me on youtube :allears:

Edit: Yes it was a prick comment but to get so instablocked all things considered is pretty funny.

You'd think at this point he'd give up on Final Fantasy.

Seriously, though, when he did his review on the Minority Report video game, I remember he did a vlog right after where he addressed the positive feedback he got from the review, and he talked about moving away from the Final Fantasy games. I thought maybe he was going to get back into the habit of producing content more often.

However, that video was uploaded two years ago. The last actual review he did was back in February. Since then it's just been wrestling vlogs.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Cyron posted:

Why do you follow him? after I got banned from his site I been in better mood without him or his bullshit.

on the subject of spoony being MRA, he is not, but his forum is full of people who clam antia is a con artist and clam that woman saying their rape are lies. one of them called me the "F" word before I was banned.

I think it was around 2009 or so, I was somewhat active on his forum. As I recall, it was a pretty chill place for the most part. PushingUpRoses was a frequent poster there, Linkara popped in often, I think Todd posted on occasion, so did some others. Not that there weren't issues, but it was a pretty reasonable forum (a billion times better than his comment section, at the very least).

Seemed like Spoony's forum took a similar downward arc to his videos really. I can't say that for certain though, I haven't visited in a long time. I really was a big fan back in the day though. Some of his videos I doubt would hold up if I watched them today, but several of them were legitimately really good.

Max Wilco posted:

Seriously, though, when he did his review on the Minority Report video game, I remember he did a vlog right after where he addressed the positive feedback he got from the review, and he talked about moving away from the Final Fantasy games. I thought maybe he was going to get back into the habit of producing content more often.

Hey, I almost forgot about the Minority Report video. That one was kinda sorta okay, I remember hoping he had turned a corner.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

The last Spoony review was a movie review in Feb. The last game review was August. Both were forgettable. He might make it a whole year between game reviews - that's if he ever does another.

Who is supporting his Patreon? Wrestling fans? He's essentially stopped making any non-vlog content at this point. Patreon has effectively ended any incentive he has to make content because donations are not linked to anything content-related, just merchandise, personalised items and streams of RPGs.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah I don't understand who is paying him at this point. He's just doing video logs and not what he originally planned to do. Didn't he also raise money to do a film like Linkara is doing?

But his stuff is just depressing now, which is sad since from about 2007-2010 he was probably the best of the reviewers when it came to writing jokes and comedic timing in his videos.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Did his descent start when he and his old lady friend, who I cannot remember, broke up?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

rujasu posted:

I think it was around 2009 or so, I was somewhat active on his forum. As I recall, it was a pretty chill place for the most part. PushingUpRoses was a frequent poster there, Linkara popped in often, I think Todd posted on occasion, so did some others. Not that there weren't issues, but it was a pretty reasonable forum (a billion times better than his comment section, at the very least).

Seemed like Spoony's forum took a similar downward arc to his videos really. I can't say that for certain though, I haven't visited in a long time. I really was a big fan back in the day though. Some of his videos I doubt would hold up if I watched them today, but several of them were legitimately really good.
It all went downhill when Scarlet dumped Spoony and left as the mod (she was draconian, but I never had a problem with her).

I still hate that we can't talk politics/religion there because I'm tired of the right wing MRA assholes being able to poo poo on things/people subtly.

There are still some good people on that forum its just none of them want to call out on the stupid bullshit of others.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
So Spoony thinks the franchise should never have gotten beyond Thunderdome? Okay then.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

FlamingLiberal posted:

...from about 2007-2010 he was probably the best of the reviewers when it came to writing jokes and comedic timing in his videos.

Absolutely. The best of those review are the best video reviews I've seen. Snappy, insightful, short, informative, witty, acerbic without being bitter or genuinely angry. It's been years since then... :(

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Spoony's FF8 review is still one of my favorite review things anyone has ever done because he so perfectly articulated all of the reasons I hated that game better than I ever could have done myself, and his reviews of bad old FMV games and the Ultima series were also really awesome. But his output has been just terrible for years. I couldn't even get through his FFX or FF13 reviews, which you'd think if he would be able to really be on-point it would be with FF reviews.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

His FFX review is pretty much the same as the 8 one tbh.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I remember Spoony saying that his entire Ultima retrospective was all just a build up to the 9th game basically which is pretty disappointing all things considered.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!
Heck yes, 2007-2010 was great for Spoony's output. His Phantasmagoria LP is just masterful, and SWAT 4 made me and all my friends go out and track down copies of the game to play ourselves.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Tracula posted:

I remember Spoony saying that his entire Ultima retrospective was all just a build up to the 9th game basically which is pretty disappointing all things considered.

Yeah. That's what happens when reviewers get personal. Personal gets in the way of funny. Or maybe not. Remember his Microcosm review, where he said that he spent $60 on a crappy FMV game and felt he'd really been rooked? Difference was he made that review funny, however personal he took it. And Mazes & Monsters was a pretty funny review too. Ultima 9 is the terminator, the point where Spoony passed from light to dark, from funny to bitter, from good to turgid poop.

Tr33
May 26, 2007

Love is a tiny lion holding a donut!

LordZoric posted:

His Phantasmagoria LP is just masterful

This is what made me love him.

I still watch the wrestling reviews, cuz he's generally right about how bad that poo poo is right now, and that makes me laugh. But it's pretty disappointing still that there's no production value, no jokes, no bits, just an oreo squeaking in the background. :(

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

LordZoric posted:

Heck yes, 2007-2010 was great for Spoony's output. His Phantasmagoria LP is just masterful, and SWAT 4 made me and all my friends go out and track down copies of the game to play ourselves.

SWAT 4 was probably one of the better things Spoony ever did. It was great seeing how much he got into it and played along with it despite its flaws.

Hell, any time I accidentally flashbang myself or get flashbanged by an AI or co-op player in a game or an LP of my own, I still shout out "AAAAH, YOU FOOLS!"

Its a shame to see how far he's not just fallen, but is still falling.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Rock bottom is him pulling the site plug, losing the living wage from his Patreon, and getting a job with a boss.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Rodyle posted:

His FFX review is pretty much the same as the 8 one tbh.

I never played more than the first hour or so of FFX before saying 'no thanks', so maybe I'd enjoy that review more if I knew more about the game going in like I did with FF8.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Final Fantasy games peaked at the time when I, personally, was most susceptible to dumb anime plots.

There, I just saved you a lot of time.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Final Fantasy games peaked at the time when I, personally, was most susceptible to dumb anime plots.

The MMOs were strange in many aspects. Particularly 11 when it could be summarized as "hard to figure out mathematically, but simple in how much the dev hates players".

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Annointed posted:

Rock bottom is him pulling the site plug, losing the living wage from his Patreon, and getting a job with a boss.

Would that even be possible for him now? Who would hire a guy who's spent years basically making nothing but blogs about wrestling and has no experience in anything else, other than a degree in economics that wouldn't be much help now since he's been so long out of work that would require it. His work ethic is just so bad and he gets sick so often I doubt he could find even menial jobs.

Even before his meltdown, the guys content was getting slower and worse and I'm honestly surprised he still has people watching, because I dropped his stuff years ago when his content basically stopped. The fact that he even had people left who were willing to pay $5000 in the first place just boggles my mind.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Rock bottom probably involves a manic episode and the police, or him going into the wrong house.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Not really. I just finished Tales of Vesperia last month and enjoyed it quite a bit despite it having several dumb anime subplots connected to a pretty dumb overall anime plot. A good JRPG is one where you can look past the inevitable eye-rolling anime horseshit, either through other plot points, a good cast, or both, and a bad JRPG is one where there's nothing to compensate for the silliness that you know you're in for whenever you play one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Annointed posted:

The MMOs were strange in many aspects. Particularly 11 when it could be summarized as "hard to figure out mathematically, but simple in how much the dev hates players".

If you want a good modern Final Fantasy, go get The Last Story on the Wii*. It's made by the original creator of Final Fantasy.

*Or wair for it to turn up on the WiiU eShop.

• Locked thread