Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

He has 134K followers. He said in the video that he had 125K. He gained 9K followers since posting that video. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I remember the original Siboot. The interactions were kind of neat but the actual nighttime combat left me confused. It's kind of like a free-for-all version of those mafia games in the Traditional Games subforum.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Nemo2342 posted:

After reading the article about him on Wikipedia, I'm going to pledge just to go along for the ride.

You (and anyone else who's curious) should read the profile Kotaku did on him: 30 Years Later, One Man Is Still Trying To Fix Video Games. I think the guy is doomed to fail, but there's something admirable about his persistence.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Mr Underhill posted:

Oh, alright. I got my first computer in '97 so I wouldn't know who the guy is. No offense to any of those people, it just seemed like they were exaggerating the way they delivered their little speeches for some reason, I guess it's just me.

Part of the reason is that he hasn't had a new idea in 20 years. Siboot is a old trading game, with a bit of weird face reading thing. It gets tedious very very quickly.

He's got a bit of a cult around him that quickly disintegrates whenever people realise just how much an ego maniac he is and how unworkable his ideas are.

He drives for emotional connection in games, but designs games that are like interacting with someone on the spectrum. It's an almost purely mechanistic view of human interaction cloaked in aspirations towards art.

In meantime, he's designed awful games, that suck as games and barely work as experiments. Anything he says should be taken with the awareness that he's really really bad at this stuff.

Do you enjoy playing that weird game about a dinner party with a couple just about to break up, Facade? Then maybe you'll enjoy the 2d version of that except filtered by M.U.L.E.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Another way of describing Chris Crawford's games is to say they're all plot and character but no narrative.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
His diagnosis is partially correct, but his treatment is impractical and can only really be implemented by a artificial general intelligence. And if that were possible, you'd be running into an ethical conundrum where you have a bunch of intelligent lifeforms enslaved to allow a bunch of fleshbags to act out their social fantasies using videogames.

Also, I wonder what he thinks of Japanese VNs. He probably thinks they're horrible failures that, while capable of finding more commercial success than western attempts at interactive fiction, still can't effectively simulate social interactions.

Phobophilia fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jun 10, 2015

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Phobophilia posted:

His diagnosis is partially correct, but his treatment is impractical and can only really be implemented by a artificial general intelligence. And if that were possible, you'd be running into an ethical conundrum where you have a bunch of intelligent lifeforms enslaved to allow a bunch of fleshbags to act out their social fantasies using videogames.

Also, I wonder what he thinks of Japanese VNs. He probably thinks they're horrible failures that, while capable of finding more commercial success than western attempts at interactive fiction, still can't effectively simulate social interactions.

And this is the problem, his theories are bad from first principles. We don't create narrative to simulate social interactions.

We create narrative for a whole bunch of reasons, many of them social in and of themselves.

His dream is of Crusader Kings 2 but a version where you have to spend time analysing previous behaviour in order to guess how a character will react or behave.

Problem is people cry at the end of The Last of Us, not when they finish playing Crusader Kings 2. There's simply a great deal more emotional connection and involvement, even though there's a great deal less player choice and volition.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Jun 10, 2015

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I respect Chris Crawford for his legacy, but I've never wanted to actually play his games. I don't think the word "emotion" should be mentioned in the same sentence as any of them, unless it appears directly after "lack of".

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

fez_machine posted:

Part of the reason is that he hasn't had a new idea in 20 years. Siboot is a old trading game, with a bit of weird face reading thing. It gets tedious very very quickly.

He's got a bit of a cult around him that quickly disintegrates whenever people realise just how much an ego maniac he is and how unworkable his ideas are.

He drives for emotional connection in games, but designs games that are like interacting with someone on the spectrum. It's an almost purely mechanistic view of human interaction cloaked in aspirations towards art.

In meantime, he's designed awful games, that suck as games and barely work as experiments. Anything he says should be taken with the awareness that he's really really bad at this stuff.

Do you enjoy playing that weird game about a dinner party with a couple just about to break up, Facade? Then maybe you'll enjoy the 2d version of that except filtered by M.U.L.E.
Basically this. Judging from what I saw in the video this looks rather similar to the stuff Crawford was working on a decade ago, with characters represented by personality traits and some symbolic processing. Personally I think the techniques he uses have potential, but a) they aren't innovative, there were plenty of similar AI projects in the 80s and b) it actually requires a huge amount of artistic skill to pull off in a naturalistic way and not feel horribly mechanical.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

fez_machine posted:

And this is the problem, his theories are bad from first principles. We don't create narrative to simulate social interactions.

We create narrative for a whole bunch of reasons, many of them social in and of themselves.

His dream is of Crusader Kings 2 but a version where you have to spend time analysing previous behaviour in order to guess how a character will react or behave.

Problem is people cry at the end of The Last of Us, not when they finish playing Crusader Kings 2. There's simply a great deal more emotional connection and involvement, even though there's a great deal less player choice and volition.

My impression he's not going for melodrama, but trying to simulate the social leadership. So less number juggling, and more finding out which people are reliable to delegate tasks.

Maybe a better comparison would be DXHR's social combat (a tiny part of that game).

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It might be cool if someone succeded in what that guy is trying, but why would anyone be interested in a videogame that emulates social interaction, unless they were trying to escape the real deal? What's the intended audience, asteroid miners stuck alone on a space shuttle? Really popular games (Minecraft, WoW) get that way because you're interacting with actual people, not some crappy 3D model. The way you make artificial constructs interesting is by giving them a narrative.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

quakster posted:

It might be cool if someone succeded in what that guy is trying, but why would anyone be interested in a videogame that emulates social interaction
Murder mysteries, political intrigue, diplomacy.

The difficulty is hiding the mechanics so it's less obvious you're dealing with a bunch of rules and numbers where you can game the system.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Those sound like narratives to me. Then again, it seems that he's making a narrative construction kit of some sort (not really sure but sure sounds like it), so close enough.

Just construct narratives with fellow people, like the Flying Spaghetti Jesus or whoever intended, don't need no digital people for that. This thing sounds like it's essentially made by a guy who really wants to have a kid he can play with. I hope he's got a family.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Trapezium Dave posted:

Murder mysteries, political intrigue, diplomacy.

The difficulty is hiding the mechanics so it's less obvious you're dealing with a bunch of rules and numbers where you can game the system.

Precisely.

Board games or board-game-like games can simulate this, but then you have things like kingmaking and tableflipping and out-of-character behaviour that squelches the simulation. Also you need to co-ordinate a bunch of schedules from a number of human beings.

So a computer game that can simulate these kinds of interactions would be a dream come true. But it's probably a pipe dream, and all we can achieve right now is an autistic shadow. And I mean autistic not as an insult: the AI is not capable of forming a mental model of the player and responding in a truly intelligent way.

Phobophilia fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jun 10, 2015

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

quakster posted:

Those sound like narratives to me. Then again, it seems that he's making a narrative construction kit of some sort (not really sure but sure sounds like it), so close enough.
They are, or at least can be, and there have been attempts to generate narrative structures on the fly as well. I'm speaking in general here, not just Crawford's work. The problem they generally have is that once you loosen constraints or add more rules to your set, they fly off the rails and make really stupid stories.

I'm mainly going from what I remember from about a decade ago when I studied up on storytelling and character AI. The problem I have with Crawford's kickstarter is that it looks pretty similar to the stuff I remember from back then. His work was always very heavily based on rules and very obvious mechanics, and I don't think that's where the difficulty is. The presentation is at least as important. It's all about providing that sleight-of-hand to provide the illusion that you're dealing with genuine characters, which requires an artistic touch. And in the past Crawford has been very bad at that, and unfortunately I didn't see much change in that pitch

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Trapezium Dave posted:

They are, or at least can be, and there have been attempts to generate narrative structures on the fly as well. I'm speaking in general here, not just Crawford's work. The problem they generally have is that once you loosen constraints or add more rules to your set, they fly off the rails and make really stupid stories.

I'm mainly going from what I remember from about a decade ago when I studied up on storytelling and character AI. The problem I have with Crawford's kickstarter is that it looks pretty similar to the stuff I remember from back then. His work was always very heavily based on rules and very obvious mechanics, and I don't think that's where the difficulty is. The presentation is at least as important. It's all about providing that sleight-of-hand to provide the illusion that you're dealing with genuine characters, which requires an artistic touch. And in the past Crawford has been very bad at that, and unfortunately I didn't see much change in that pitch

Even with a good artistic touch you're likely to get another God Will Be Watching, where the rules and mechanics aspect of the game mean it becomes an exercise in see through the obfuscation to see the rules as clearly as possible and then you've lost social believability.

Unfortunately, Crawford focuses on giving the player the agency to control the plot of a story, where the success of Tell Tale Games' series of interactive visual novels, shows that a far more effective strategy for player involvement is interactive control of the narrative (or how the story is told).

My bets are on people getting used to Tell Tale's slight of hand, where you don't have any real control over what happens, but still returning for the ability to add a personal flavour to what happens, and interactive storytelling evolving out from that.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Personally I think there is a lot of room in all directions in this area, and would love to see more promising projects in this. However I also believe it's an area where there is no one correct approach. It's an area where I could see a solo developer or very small team carve a whole bunch of very genre specific niches.

I don't think giving player agency to the story is wrong in itself. Crawford's problem to me is more that he is still trying to prove the system he came up with decades ago is the One True Approach To All Stories Interactive.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

kode54 posted:

He has 134K followers. He said in the video that he had 125K. He gained 9K followers since posting that video. :stare:

There has to be a way to make money off these people while keeping your own dignity intact.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I feel bad for the people who paid to be in the new Leisure Suit Larry.

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Whatever, as long as they make his anthro character fit the visual style of the game it shouldn't be too unbearable.

Why is it that Kickstarter whales always happen to be furries? This happened with Skullgirls too, a bunch of furries paid several grand to have their fursonas appear as background art.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Subject: Yes! Sethian - a sci-fi language puzzle game has been successfully funded!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

There has to be a way to make money off these people while keeping your own dignity intact.

Dignity and a buck'll buy you a cup of coffee.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Cabbagepots posted:

Whatever, as long as they make his anthro character fit the visual style of the game it shouldn't be too unbearable.

Why is it that Kickstarter whales always happen to be furries? This happened with Skullgirls too, a bunch of furries paid several grand to have their fursonas appear as background art.

Uh those fur suits and adult diapers don't come cheap dude.

[e] Didn't Kaiju combat get a bunch macro fursonas from it's design a character tier?

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jun 10, 2015

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Cabbagepots posted:

Furries, at least the older ones, have a long history of sitting on a whole lot of money and a whole lot less sense. Prior to sites like Furaffinity and Deviantart popping up, artists could make some serious dough adding a handful of 'tribal' elements (for the Werewolf: the Otherkin fanatics) to a piece and making the subject a lynx woman or whatever.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Truga posted:

Subject: Yes! Sethian - a sci-fi language puzzle game has been successfully funded!

I am so happy I don't even regret my tipsy choice of backing amount.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Tokyo Dark funded after just hitting it's anime cutscene stretch goal. So that'll be a thing that's happening next year.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Bieeardo posted:

Furries, at least the older ones, have a long history of sitting on a whole lot of money and a whole lot less sense. Prior to sites like Furaffinity and Deviantart popping up, artists could make some serious dough adding a handful of 'tribal' elements (for the Werewolf: the Otherkin fanatics) to a piece and making the subject a lynx woman or whatever.

furry commissions are still the most lucrative money to be made as a freelance artist

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

DolphinCop posted:

furry commissions are still the most lucrative money to be made as a freelance artist

I'd guess not just furry, but any sort of sick fetish poo poo will net an artist money on a semi-regular basis if they're good at it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Good av/post combo.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

KiddieGrinder posted:

I'd guess not just furry, but any sort of sick fetish poo poo will net an artist money on a semi-regular basis if they're good at it.

Yeah, but there's way more furries out there to bilk.

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer
Well Umbra hit the multiplayer stretch goal just now and Bard's Tale just added digital copies of all 3 previous Bard's Tale games to anyone who backed it for $20 and more.

Lowtechs fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jun 11, 2015

Wendell
May 11, 2003

The final stretchgoal in Bloodstained by a roguelike dungeon mode is interesting. I don't think they'll reach it, but still interesting!

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-
Has Bloodstained's campaign mentioned whether their outside funding is proportional to the money they pull in from Kickstarter?

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Anaxite posted:

Has Bloodstained's campaign mentioned whether their outside funding is proportional to the money they pull in from Kickstarter?

No, just that it was conditional. They finally found a publisher after a year of trying but they had to raise 10% of it on their own to show people would still want this type of game. At least according to Igarashi's interview here:

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/06/10/koji-igarashi-tells-us-all-about-bloodstaineds-leading-lady-miriam/

So esentially if they hit 5 mil they'll have doubled their budget.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-
I see now. It's not as good as I was hoping, but with the yen really weak right now hopefully the campaign will go a long way. :v:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
They're predicting a small recovery in the immediate short term, so maybe not quite as much as they'd like once the campaign closes.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Good news for MN9 backers.
Cross-buy for Sony platforms is available. Platform surveys will start next week and stay up until July 15th.

http://www.mightyno9.com/en/20150611

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Zaa Boogie posted:

No, just that it was conditional. They finally found a publisher after a year of trying but they had to raise 10% of it on their own to show people would still want this type of game. At least according to Igarashi's interview here:

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/06/10/koji-igarashi-tells-us-all-about-bloodstaineds-leading-lady-miriam/

So esentially if they hit 5 mil they'll have doubled their budget.
That seems insane, publishers still need convincing that big names like him bringing back hugely popular franchises isn't something people just throw money at? All they should have to do is look at every single big Kickstarter from the last two years.

This one's on track to pass up the current highest single video game Kickstarter (Torment at $4.1 million)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

RightClickSaveAs posted:

This one's on track to pass up the current highest single video game Kickstarter (Torment at $4.1 million)

Hell, it already has. (It's at 4.25m as of right now)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

RightClickSaveAs posted:

That seems insane, publishers still need convincing that big names like him bringing back hugely popular franchises isn't something people just throw money at?

No, but they understand that they can use crowdfunding campaigns to mitigate their financial layout and supplement their workload by getting fans to mobilise around their game and give them millions of dollars for the privilege of doing so. Oculus was the first example of that approach, I think, but it's really gonna kick off thanks to Bloodstained and I'm not looking forward to it at all.