Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Avalerion posted:

Nah it's lame, only changes the graphics on the existing cards.
Ah, a shame, the description made it sound like the abilities of the new cards are different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Levantine posted:

Yes, you absolutely can and it's pretty great to do so.

Why would you revive a healer to use its ability to revive another card? :psyduck:
The only use I can think of is to play Yen and make her revive that Northern 5 strength medic.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Cole posted:

death march + no minimap.

let's do this :cool:

(i'll be back in a few hours to tell you that I've turned the minimap back on. I tried it once and that poo poo is hard.)

If by hard you mean extremely tedious, sure.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

GrossMurpel posted:

Why would you revive a healer to use its ability to revive another card? :psyduck:
The only use I can think of is to play Yen and make her revive that Northern 5 strength medic.

Reviving a healer with a healer lets the second healer revive yet another card. Healers are primarily second round plays but you can chain some together for card advantage.

EDIT: Yes, that's the main use in a Northern Kingdoms deck. Use Yen to revive the 5 str medic. It's just another way to get another card back on the board.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
Pig quest starts at Lurtch, in Velen.

Missing Miners is from a Notice Board somewhere in Skellige. I think its in Ard Skellig, but I can't recall.

More Gwent Tips: Biting Frost plus Villentren-whateverthefuck is a wonderful combination, especially against melee-heavy monster decks. Let your opponent use play all of his melee monsters, make sure there are at least 10 (very possible). Play Biting Frost, play the dragon, everything on the opponent's melee line is destroyed.

Zakmonster fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jun 10, 2015

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Andrast posted:

If by hard you mean extremely tedious, sure.

tomato tomato. it is a pain checking the world map every 30 seconds only to find i passed the quest point.

Terraplane
Aug 16, 2007

And when I mash down on your little starter, then your spark plug will give me fire.
I've completely ignored gwent because there's so much other cool stuff to do that playing a card game just didn't seem that appealing. Yesterday I played a mission where I had to play Gwent for a man's life. I figured that even if I failed I'd probably get a chance to save him with my swords instead.

Nope. I guess I'd better play a bit in case this comes up again.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Drunk witchers scene was just unbelievable. Laughing out loud through it all. They captured the essence of falling down drunk stupidity perfectly. I worry about their livers though. From the empties it looked like they drank enough vodka to kill a dozen horses.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Thundercracker posted:

Drunk witchers scene was just unbelievable. Laughing out loud through it all. They captured the essence of falling down drunk stupidity perfectly. I worry about their livers though. From the empties it looked like they drank enough vodka to kill a dozen horses.

Witchers drink toxic potions that outright kill regular people as part of their daily routine. Vodka ain't poo poo compared to that.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Cole posted:

tomato tomato. it is a pain checking the world map every 30 seconds only to find i passed the quest point.

I kinda wish this game had that Elder Scrolls compass thing that points out nearby points of interest without you needing to go into the map

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Geralt bugging people to play cards with him at the most inappropriate times is part of the fun... and probably canon, I ran off to play cards with the blacksmith on the way to the skellige feast and Yen actually got annoyed.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jun 10, 2015

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Something happened and now I can't change Signs. I try to change from Igni to anything else, and I still have Igni equipped.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Cole posted:

death march + no minimap.

let's do this :cool:

(i'll be back in a few hours to tell you that I've turned the minimap back on. I tried it once and that poo poo is hard.)

I'd be up for no minimap, if there was compass mod. Not knowing what direction you're heading in is a bit of an issue. Sure, flipping back and forth between the world map would help but that just gets tedious for tedious' sake.

CVagts posted:

Something happened and now I can't change Signs. I try to change from Igni to anything else, and I still have Igni equipped.

Get on your horse, will switch to Axii automatically and fix that. Probably.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

CVagts posted:

Mount your horse, which should automatically change it to Axii. Use Axii once, then dismount again, and it should be fixed.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

GrossMurpel posted:

Because basic math? If I use Yen (7) to revive a Healer Siege dood (5) to revive my catapult (8) that equals 20

As opposed to using Yen (7) to revive catapult (8) that equals 15

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If I'm playing someone with a Monsters deck (which in my opinion is by far the most annoying to play), what I like to do is keep weaker cards that don't link (like Dragon Hunters do for example) in my hand instead of swapping them out and then just play the weak cards to coax them into playing the first round to win and just throwing it.

Nothing better than watching a Monster deck play a million Arachas, its Crones and getting a good 80 on the board, throwing the round and then steamrolling it for the next two because it has nothing left.

Also, gently caress Bernard Tulle. He's basically the only card player in the game who's actually programmed to play like a player might do and always seems to have the best card in his hand to gently caress you over at any given time. Gwent's largely predictable and easy to win, but he feels like he's "reading inputs" or the card game equivalent to a degree.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Perestroika posted:

Mount your horse, which should automatically change it to Axii. Use Axii once, then dismount again, and it should be fixed.

Yep, that worked. Thanks!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Exmond posted:

Because basic math? If I use Yen (7) to revive a Healer Siege dood (5) to revive my catapult (8) that equals 20

Yeah but it only works if somehow your healer is in the graveyard during the third round. Sure, if you're going to use one of your two healers in the second round anyway, you may as well revive it in the third. It's even better if you play someone else in the second round and revive two things in the third round. The only thing it really gets you is the point value of the healer in both rounds, at the cost of the revival in the third round.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Exmond posted:

It's more useful to use decoy on the healers, I don't think I ever was in a situation where it was worth reviving a healer with a healer and I played Northern Kingdoms a hell of a lot.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Yeah but it only works if somehow your healer is in the graveyard during the third round. Sure, if you're going to use one of your two healers in the second round anyway, you may as well revive it in the third. It's even better if you play someone else in the second round and revive two things in the third round. The only thing it really gets you is the point value of the healer in both rounds, at the cost of the revival in the third round.

Not sure how that's really a knock against it really. It's a situational strategy you can't always rely on but will come in very handy at times.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Or...
You're trying to bait the first round, you play a few low cards and then a high value card.
Round 2: play medic 1 to bring back that high value card.
Round 3: play medic 2 to bring back medic 1 AND then that high value card.

Assuming you don't have zero point medics (piss off, scoia'tael!) it's a win/win. Medics are pretty situational based on your drawn hand, though--just play them the best you can.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

If you use a healer and you have other retrievable healers in your discard pile then what reason is there to NOT pull them first before pulling whatever other card you want to retrieve? It just makes sense to go through the healers first to add more score to your board.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

OAquinas posted:

Or...
You're trying to bait the first round, you play a few low cards and then a high value card.
Round 2: play medic 1 to bring back that high value card.
Round 3: play medic 2 to bring back medic 1 AND then that high value card.

Assuming you don't have zero point medics (piss off, scoia'tael!) it's a win/win. Medics are pretty situational based on your drawn hand, though--just play them the best you can.

yeah but you can also just:
Round 1: play high value card
Round 2: play some other high value card
Round 3: revive both high value cards

If those high value cards have effects on them, you now get both of them twice instead of just the medic and the 1 twice. It also leaves both your medics as free to use for other stuff in round 3 - if the opponent plays two spies in round 2 (after you play one medic), you only get to play one of them with your way, but get both in mine. I guess yours lets you play some card 3 times, which is funny if it's like, the scorch dragon.

I'm sorry for the theory-gwenting and I will stop now.

Wiseblood posted:

If you use a healer and you have other retrievable healers in your discard pile then what reason is there to NOT pull them first before pulling whatever other card you want to retrieve? It just makes sense to go through the healers first to add more score to your board.

Really my point is don't play your healers before round 3 - certainly once you're in that situation, you do it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 10, 2015

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Saving healers until round 3 as rule is a waste too though.
Say you're using Northern and your linking catapults get scorched before you get both up, you can use one to bring it back, finish up the link, win the round and then use the heal chain in round 3 to get that 20 score described earlier in the next round.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Exmond posted:

That is one specific situation, I'm pretty sure all the other healers have 0 or 1 strength.
Well I guess North idiots just don't know what it's like to play with more than 1 regular healer :smug:

OAquinas posted:

Witchers drink toxic potions that outright kill regular people as part of their daily routine. Vodka ain't poo poo compared to that.

I still don't understand why Yen had that annoyed look every time I drank a round with some guys during the wake. Not like that's gonna impede a Witcher.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

GrossMurpel posted:

I still don't understand why Yen had that annoyed look every time I drank a round with some guys during the wake. Not like that's gonna impede a Witcher.

My favorite is that note with "We'll sell off all this high-end equipment I got off this dead witcher and make a fortune! To celebrate I'm going to have a sip of this witcher booze and then meet up with you later!" -found on a rotting body.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

GrossMurpel posted:

She wants you lucid as possible because she's asking you a favour shortly making you do bad things with no input and anything at all that could interfere with her plans pisses her off big time. I actually like that she's testy about that because it fits into her characterisation really well.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

How do decoctions work? Are they permanent bonuses or are they taken like regular potions? I've made a few but not sure when / why to apply the bonuses. Some of them sound permanent.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Nobody Interesting posted:

How do decoctions work? Are they permanent bonuses or are they taken like regular potions? I've made a few but not sure when / why to apply the bonuses. Some of them sound permanent.

They're potions with unique effects that last a long time and also have high toxicity.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Aurain posted:

She wants you lucid as possible because she's asking you a favour shortly making you do bad things with no input and anything at all that could interfere with her plans pisses her off big time. I actually like that she's testy about that because it fits into her characterisation really well.

That's my point, she wanted Geralt to keep a clear head, not like those 2 or 3 drinks are gonna fog his mind.
Plus, she didn't seem to mind when Geralt accidentally got hosed up on a hallucinogenic door anyway.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

They are like potions but last much longer (about 30 minutes with no points in alchemy), and they increase toxicity by a great deal so you need to invest in that talent that raises your threshold if you want to use more than one or some potions along with it.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

This has probably been asked a million times already, but after the hope it has been edited into the OP was dashed I had a quick scan and couldn't find it:

Is there a list anywhere for which merchants will pay highest for different items? (The first herbalist in the game paying well for Honeycombs, for example).

I like the idea of riding around doing the best I can for the recovery of the financial markets of Rabid Dog country.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

GrossMurpel posted:

That's my point, she wanted Geralt to keep a clear head, not like those 2 or 3 drinks are gonna fog his mind.
Plus, she didn't seem to mind when Geralt accidentally got hosed up on a hallucinogenic door anyway.

That wasn't exactly something he did on purpose so she didn't get mad about it

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Aurain posted:

Tsk, you'd imagine that a sorceress like her would know about White Honey. One swig of that and Geralt'll be good as new.

BisonDollah posted:

This has probably been asked a million times already, but after the hope it has been edited into the OP was dashed I had a quick scan and couldn't find it:

Is there a list anywhere for which merchants will pay highest for different items? (The first herbalist in the game paying well for Honeycombs, for example).

I like the idea of riding around doing the best I can for the recovery of the financial markets of Rabid Dog country.

I don't know of a full list, but an important one is the Alchemist in the hut northeast of Novigrad's Oxenfurt gate (only present in the morning hours, try 08:00 am). He'll buy monster trophies at full price, which will free up your inventory a whole lot and also bring in a nice bit of cash on the side.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Okay that makes sense - so a decoction that regens HP for 30 minutes is obviously better than a Swallow that does 20 seconds and needs to be topped up which brings up toxicity even more.

Will need to pay closer attention to the potions skill tree from now, I think.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

They're just potions with a different name, . They last longer, usually like 20-30 minutes, the durations are listed on them. They refill just like any other potion.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Perestroika posted:

Tsk, you'd imagine that a sorceress like her would know about White Honey. One swig of that and Geralt'll be good as new.

I don't know of a full list, but an important one is the Alchemist in the hut northeast of Novigrad's Oxenfurt gate (only present in the morning hours, try 08:00 am). He'll buy monster trophies at full price, which will free up your inventory a whole lot and also bring in a nice bit of cash on the side.

He actually buys everything at full price.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The decoction isn't as good as Swallow in that the regen is worse. That's the trade off for the longer duration. If you're low health in a fight, Swallow will still be useful because it stacks the regen.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

I really want a Dark Souls style New Game Plus for this game where the enemies are tougher each playthrough. If CDPR doesn't add anything like that hopefully a modder can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Avalerion posted:

Geralt bugging people to play cards with him at the most inappropriate times is part of the fun... and probably canon, I ran off to play cards with the blacksmith on the way to the skellige feast and Yen actually got annoyed.

:) What's wrong buddy?

:smith: My son drowned at sea, we can't recover his body to give him a proper burial.

:) Oh well you know what would really set me straight? A few rounds of Gwent.

:smith: