Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

salty fries make me cry
Oct 3, 2007

~~i'm outside ur window~~
~throwin bricks at teh moon~
Did some Bigfoot related thing pop up on the news recently? I just had two coworkers try to convince me that Bigfoot is real today. One of them is a good dude but he grew up on a farm and uses phrases like "We don't got that no more" so it wasn't very compelling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
There may be an uptick due to 411 Missing, which is getting a lot of attention at the moment. Potted summary: guy is peddling a book and associated theory about strange disappearances in woods and national parks, underlines how weird this incidents are, authorities are covering something up, and draws a line around the idea BIGFOOT KIDNAPPED THEM.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

outlier posted:

There may be an uptick due to 411 Missing, which is getting a lot of attention at the moment. Potted summary: guy is peddling a book and associated theory about strange disappearances in woods and national parks, underlines how weird this incidents are, authorities are covering something up, and draws a line around the idea BIGFOOT KIDNAPPED THEM.

Yea. My roommate wants to get those books. By what he tells me about it sounds like people got lost in the woods and died, or got attacked by cougars or bears. Of course those aren't true because sasquatch totally did it and the authorities don't want you to know about it. Also apparently the author doesn't outright say bigfoot apparently, but heavily hints towards it because what other explanation can it be.

Are you in the Midwest? A few weeks ago, George Noory did an entire show with two saps from some Ohio-based Bigfoot-chasing society.
[/quote]

Pacific Northwest

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Turfahurf posted:

Did some Bigfoot related thing pop up on the news recently? I just had two coworkers try to convince me that Bigfoot is real today. One of them is a good dude but he grew up on a farm and uses phrases like "We don't got that no more" so it wasn't very compelling.

Theres a bigfoot hunting """reality""" show on animal planet right now

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jack Gladney posted:

She (I think) posts every once in a while. The FBI (I think) was interested enough to get her story/evidence and said they'd check it out. It could be years before we hear anything more.

Didn't they do an A/T? Or am I thinking of the West Memphis Three guy?

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Madkal posted:

Yea. My roommate wants to get those books. By what he tells me about it sounds like people got lost in the woods and died, or got attacked by cougars or bears. Of course those aren't true because sasquatch totally did it and the authorities don't want you to know about it. Also apparently the author doesn't outright say bigfoot apparently, but heavily hints towards it because what other explanation can it be.

Are you in the Midwest? A few weeks ago, George Noory did an entire show with two saps from some Ohio-based Bigfoot-chasing society.

Pacific Northwest
[/quote]

Sooooo...why don't the authorities want people to know about Bigfoot? Seems like a pretty straightforward public safety issue.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

ArchangeI posted:

Sooooo...why don't the authorities want people to know about Bigfoot? Seems like a pretty straightforward public safety issue.

A genuinely clever aspect of the theory is that he never comes out and says "Bigfoot", just describes this vast coverup and web of strange occurrences with a Bigfoot-shaped hole in the middle. So he doesn't have to defend something he never said. (Note that he also behaves as if the NPS is a vast monolithic organisation, which is also handy for his story but not actually true.)

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!
All kidding aside, I like to think of the Bigfoot legend as a combination of two things. One, early belief systems had much less delineation between the spiritual and physical realms. So when more pragmatic explorers were told these tales they made the assumption that these people were talking about a real flesh and blood thing. Two, we may not have a complete fossil record end date for the extinction of gigantopithecus and remote early populations may have run into small groups and related their stories to others who, ironically, may have thought they were relating tales of a forest spirit which spread around the campfire, as humans are prone to do.

Or Bigfoot is in league with aliens using wormholes to hop parallel dimensions, whatever.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Humboldt Squid posted:

Theres a bigfoot hunting """reality""" show on animal planet right now

On those shows when they stop and you hear some hooting in the distance, and then they respond, I always imagine the first hoots were coming from a competing Bigfoot show filming a mile away.

Then it's just deluded idiots hooting at each other in the woods, thinking they're having a real moment with ol' BF.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Madkal posted:

I remember when those two Dutch girls vanished in Panama last year while hiking a very popular tourist trail. After a few months some of their possessions and a few bones washed up on the banks of the river in the middle of the jungle, and Websleuths et al went nuts with theories about mad rapists and white slavers because "how could you disappear on that trail in broad daylight, there's so many people and the route is so clearly marked!" Well, yes. That's why you stay on the trail and never go off of it unless you are genuinely prepared and have a good damned reason. Plus the pictures people were posting of the trail (it is called La Pianista) were all from hotel websites and tourist brochures, so of course it showed the lowest sections of it that were broad and clearly-marked, well-manicured and safe-looking. If you googled just average tourist snaps of La Pianista, though, you could see this was a largely unimproved, unmarked trail through deep Panamanian jungle with cliffs, waterfalls, slot sections, you name it. Tons of hazards even keeping to the trail, and those girls were woefully inexperienced and under-prepared (no food, little water, no first aid stuff or GPS or even an emergency whistle, inappropriate footwear and clothes.) It doesn't require any stretch of the imagination to think that they left the trail to explore and take pictures, got lost, got benighted, and one or both became injured or were killed by a fall, drowning or exposure. Ten feet off that trail in any direction was deep rainforest, but still people insist that it's "impossible" the Dutch girls simply met with a terrible, tragic accident after making some mistakes.

I was in the Himalayas once on the trail to Namche Bazaar, one of the most popular and well-traveled routes in the Solu Khumbu area. The weather had been off-and-on rainy and so I had taken my rain poncho out of my pack, then tied it on the back after the rain let up. I was following behind the other people in my group when a gust of wind blew my poncho loose and over the edge of the trail down a slope, where it caught on a bush. It was only about ten feet away so I slid down to get it. When I was pulling the poncho off the branches, I realized the bush was right on the edge of a slot gorge invisible from the trail, one that was probably a few hundred feet deep. If the ground had been muddier or I had been moving faster, I might have gone right off the edge of that heavily-traveled, well-marked, popular trail where I was barely fifty feet behind my companions, and no one would have seen me again and there would be no sign of how I "disappeared". (And the 411 dude would have put it in his book and blamed it on a Yeti.)

Most of us are civilized city and suburb dwellers. It's easy to forget just how essentially unsafe and unforgiving (though beautiful and amazing) the natural world really is, and how easy it is to die.

Edit: excellent case in point http://www.wetasphalt.com/content/jungle-not-people

I'm willing to bet 99% of the mysterious disappearances in 411 dude's books have an explanation that goes a whole lot like this, but without the happy ending.

bonestructure has a new favorite as of 23:10 on Jun 9, 2015

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

bonestructure posted:

I'm willing to bet 99% of the mysterious disappearances in 411 dude's books have an explanation that goes a whole lot like this, but without the happy ending.
It's been posted in this thread before, but The Hunt for the Death Valley Germans and other stories on this guy's site are great. He volunteers to recover missing bodies from Death Valley that no one else could find, and his major point is that you have to put yourself in the mind of the missing people and what they were doing to find out where they went. People will often head out in what seem like non-sensical directions based on what seems like it will give them the best chance from where they are on the ground, and can often make it MUCH further than anyone would expect before expiring.

The missing Germans got their car stuck and walked off into the middle of a giant empty military reservation, because they were used to Europe and expected that any area marked in a map as "Military - ACCESS PROHIBITED" would be patrolled by guards and that they would be immediately noticed and get help. Instead they died in the middle of nowhere and no one found them for over a decade.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Alereon posted:

It's been posted in this thread before, but The Hunt for the Death Valley Germans and other stories on this guy's site are great. He volunteers to recover missing bodies from Death Valley that no one else could find, and his major point is that you have to put yourself in the mind of the missing people and what they were doing to find out where they went. People will often head out in what seem like non-sensical directions based on what seems like it will give them the best chance from where they are on the ground, and can often make it MUCH further than anyone would expect before expiring.

The missing Germans got their car stuck and walked off into the middle of a giant empty military reservation, because they were used to Europe and expected that any area marked in a map as "Military - ACCESS PROHIBITED" would be patrolled by guards and that they would be immediately noticed and get help. Instead they died in the middle of nowhere and no one found them for over a decade.

I'd read that before and I have tremendous respect for him, his analysis of the Death Valley situation was brilliant. His work gave their families closure and and answers. I've never done S&R but I know a lot of people who have, and it's hard, thankless work, especially when you're sure the person(s) you're searching for have almost certainly already died.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Didn't they do an A/T? Or am I thinking of the West Memphis Three guy?

I think it must have been someone else. This poster just had the initial story half-remembered from childhood plus facts dug up about the grandfather. There wasn't really enough for a separate thread.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

bonestructure posted:

I remember when those two Dutch girls vanished in Panama last year while hiking a very popular tourist trail. After a few months some of their possessions and a few bones washed up on the banks of the river in the middle of the jungle, and Websleuths et al went nuts with theories about mad rapists and white slavers because "how could you disappear on that trail in broad daylight, there's so many people and the route is so clearly marked!"

Good ol' Websleuths - never saw a crime or disappearance it couldn't to white slavers, sex traffickers, drug gangs, genius serial killers ...

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

bonestructure posted:

I'd read that before and I have tremendous respect for him, his analysis of the Death Valley situation was brilliant. His work gave their families closure and and answers. I've never done S&R but I know a lot of people who have, and it's hard, thankless work, especially when you're sure the person(s) you're searching for have almost certainly already died.

Thankless is right. I remember that story, and the authorities - surprise, surprise - treated him like absolute poo poo, after he'd finished doing their job for them. "Here's the answer to a decade-old puzzle. Now families will have closure, and we've all learned something." "Who do you think you are, wandering around on public land looking for things? Where were you ten years ago when these people disappeared?"

Edit: It's a great story. Read it.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk

bonestructure posted:

I remember when those two Dutch girls vanished in Panama last year while hiking a very popular tourist trail.

I live on unsolved murder / strange death scenarios, and something about this case scares the heebiejeebies out of me. The Thinking Sideways podcast did a great episode on the girls and their unfortunate end, as well as cover the evidence - GPS and call data from the girl's phones, photos from their last days alive still in the camera, and even finally body parts turning up.

Listen here:
http://thinkingsidewayspodcast.com/lisanne-froon-and-kris-kremers/

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.
1938 in Television. Cool trivia I guess but nothing really creepy until you watch this video and then read the little tidbit from November of that year:

quote:

November - Due to freak atmospheric conditions, a BBC TV broadcast is received in New York City. A film camera is used to record the silent images which included the performance of a play, a cartoon, and other matter. A four-minute excerpt from this filmed recording survives and is, as of 2014, considered the only surviving example of a pre-war BBC television transmission.

The video itself is rather creepy looking, as all early TV looked. But even more so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kk0ytK_nqA

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

bean_shadow posted:

1938 in Television. Cool trivia I guess but nothing really creepy until you watch this video and then read the little tidbit from November of that year:

The video itself is rather creepy looking, as all early TV looked. But even more so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kk0ytK_nqA

Am I the only one that habitually squinted and took my dick out at this warped video?

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Man, that Death Valley Germans story. They made a bunch of poor, but reasonable enough decisions and it killed them. I get the same feeling from the missing Dutch girls story. I can't imagine how it felt when the German family got their eyes on the supposed heavily guarded military base they were heading to and found nothing there or how the girls in Panama felt when they realised they couldn't find the way back to the path they were on. Two kids with the German family, too. Proper nightmare fuel.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

newreply.php posted:

Am I the only one that habitually squinted and took my dick out at this warped video?

Will kids today even know about the Poor Man's Showtime Trick? The internet is really our generation's version of, "I mean, we had Playboy when we were kids, but these kids now..." (or, "we had pot, but this new stuff is so much stronger,") isn't it?

Clutching my pearls like a baby boomer itt.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Walton Simons posted:

Man, that Death Valley Germans story. They made a bunch of poor, but reasonable enough decisions and it killed them. I get the same feeling from the missing Dutch girls story. I can't imagine how it felt when the German family got their eyes on the supposed heavily guarded military base they were heading to and found nothing there or how the girls in Panama felt when they realised they couldn't find the way back to the path they were on. Two kids with the German family, too. Proper nightmare fuel.

The fact that the kids were found together, half a kilometer from the adults is what really gets me. Either they died first and their parents struggled on, or they managed to survive a little longer, until their parents died. And then they struck out together to get back to the car. Two kids, alone in the most unforgiving desert in the world. God, what a tragedy.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Bigfoot is an albanian dude (hairy) with a really big dick. I'll try and stop but goddamn folks, I love the great outdoors.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I've always been under the impression(I admit I've purposely not looked into it because if its not true I want to enjoy the fantasy) that the Pacific Northwest has forests in it that are so goddamn huge, that it becomes technically possible for an undiscovered great ape to be living there.

The idea is that nobody ever finds remains because you'd have to stumble on them within X amount of days after the animal died, otherwise it would be completely carried away by scavengers. These areas see so few people in them per year it would be extremely unlikely for a person to stumble on a body during the very short window it will be there.

Of course I've never seen any real evidence that convinces me Bigfoot does exist, but I've never really been convinced that its impossible either.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Basebf555 posted:

I've always been under the impression(I admit I've purposely not looked into it because if its not true I want to enjoy the fantasy) that the Pacific Northwest has forests in it that are so goddamn huge, that it becomes technically possible for an undiscovered great ape to be living there.

The idea is that nobody ever finds remains because you'd have to stumble on them within X amount of days after the animal died, otherwise it would be completely carried away by scavengers. These areas see so few people in them per year it would be extremely unlikely for a person to stumble on a body during the very short window it will be there.

Of course I've never seen any real evidence that convinces me Bigfoot does exist, but I've never really been convinced that its impossible either.

Otoh, I found a rock here in California that prevents Bigfoot attacks. No one holding the rock has ever been abducted or harmed by a wendigo, yeti, abominable snowman, or any other large, primate-like, cryptids.

PM me if you're interested in buying it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

Otoh, I found a rock here in California that prevents Bigfoot attacks. No one holding the rock has ever been abducted or harmed by a wendigo, yeti, abominable snowman, or any other large, primate-like, cryptids.

PM me if you're interested in buying it.

lol yea I kind of expected a little ribbing when I posted that. What can I tell you I want to live in a world where its still possible for Bigfoot to exist.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

That drat Satyr posted:

I live on unsolved murder / strange death scenarios, and something about this case scares the heebiejeebies out of me. The Thinking Sideways podcast did a great episode on the girls and their unfortunate end, as well as cover the evidence - GPS and call data from the girl's phones, photos from their last days alive still in the camera, and even finally body parts turning up.

Listen here:
http://thinkingsidewayspodcast.com/lisanne-froon-and-kris-kremers/

Ugh, I tried listening to it but between the vocal fry and the uptalk, that woman's voice irritated me so much that I only managed about fifteen minutes of it. And she also got a lot of details wrong, though to be fair they are details that are often given wrong because it deepens the "mystery" (for instance, the guide they'd hired for the next day was for a different trail, not La Pianista, so there's no mysterious decision to hike a trail alone that they'd hired a guide for the next day.) That timeline image on their website is excellent, though, and I'm going to attach it to the bottom of this post because it really does help make the sequence of events clearer.

The brief gist of the Panama disappearance (there's no wikipedia article on it to link) is that in April of last year two young Dutch women, Lisanne Froon (21) and Kris Kremers (22) went to Panama to teach English and spend some time abroad. They were good friends who had saved up for the trip together, and they were excited about it. Their second day in Panama they left Boquete, the small town where they were staying with a host family, to hike a well-known local trail, La Pianista (so named for the beautiful choruses of birdsong you can hear along it.) They never came back. Two and a half months later several bones, a shoe with a foot in it, and their backpack were found in the jungle. A few months later a rib was found. No other evidence or remains have been recovered since.

I'm no Tom Mahood, but here is my theory about what happened to Kris Kremers and Lisanne Froon. I'm going to post this in two parts, because it's gotten really long.

Part One

March 31 - Kris and Lisanne arrive in Boquete. They were both excited about beginning a job teaching English at a school run by a German expat the next day. After settling in with their host family, they go to the school, where they find there has been a misunderstanding and that they are not to start work until a week later. Lisanne apparently was very upset by this (it's possible that it was going to impact their finances) to the point where she wrote about it in her diary that night.

April 1 - TThey have a week to kill. After talking to some locals and doing some research, the girls hire a guide for the next day, April 2, to climb Volcán Barú, a local volcano. They decide to spend that day hiking La Pianista, a well-known local trail. There is a lot of confusion over details here, with contradicting eyewitness accounts of where they did or did not have breakfast first, whether they took a taxi or a bus to the trailhead, etc. I've disregarded all of that because I don't feel it's important, as inarguably the girls made it to the trailhead and started their hike of La Pianista. A camera and two phones were recovered from their backpack that show photos of the two of them on the trail and at the top, where they took pictures of one another at a summit viewing spot. This is where ordinarily people turn around and descend back to Boquete. It was first believed that the girls reached the summit around 3pm, but later analysis of the shadows in the summit photos put the time at about 1pm. This is often overlooked or not included when their disappearance is discussed, and I believe it's really important. Lisanne and Kris were not experienced hikers (as shown by their bringing just two bottles of water, their phones, a camera, money, and some candy on their hike) but they were intelligent young women and neither seemed to be reckless or foolish. If they reached the summit at 3pm, I believe they would have then turned around, knowing that it was getting late in the day. But they got there at 1pm, on a beautiful, cloudless day on one of the loveliest trails in Panama. If you have done much hiking or trekking, you're probably familiar with the "runner's high" (it's the "anything athletic" high, really) that one gets a few hours into a really good trip. You hit that second wind, you feel great, you're nearly euphoric. It just feels really, really good to be out in the fresh air moving your muscles (especially if one is just coming off a long, cramped plane trip and bus ride, as they were) and you just want to keep going forever. Their trip had gotten off to a bad start with the work misunderstanding, but now they were having fun. They were both young, athletic, and adventurous. So they did.

Another "mystery" about their disappearance is how it could happen on La Pianista, which is often described as an easy or intermediate trail that it would be nearly impossible to become genuinely lost on. This is true of the trail up to the summit viewing spot. But La Pianista continues on long after that point, descending the mountain again into the valley and eventually to the village of Bocas del Toro, a hike of four or five days. This part of the trail is much rougher, only occasionally marked, and is very seldom taken by tourists, it's used mainly by the locals traveling between Boquete and Bocas del Toro. This part of the trail would be something that should absolutely not be done without serious preparation and a guide, but the girls wouldn't have known that. If they followed that trail onwards from the summit, only gradually would the markers have started to peter out, the terrain become rougher, the path become easier to lose. And that is what I believe probably happened. There's a chance that they might have voluntarily left the trail, but again, these were described as prudent, mature young women. They were careful and they had common sense. But even on improved trails in US parks it's easy to lose the path; on an unimproved jungle trail in Panama, any animal track, any abandoned side trail, any seasonal rain rut starts to look like trail. By the time you realize you haven't seen a marker in a while, you don't know where you are. So what do you do?

Two calls to 112 (the Dutch version of 911) were registered from their phones that day at 4:39 and 4:51pm. From their 1pm summit, this was enough time for them to have followed another mile or two of trail into the wildnerness area and gotten turned around. They would have realized that they were very lost and needed help. A photo retrieved from the same time frame shows an empty stretch of something that looks like it might not be trail at all, but instead a seasonal rain arroyo that would have looked very much like a trail to them. I think they tried to call emergency services, and took the picture to send to the authorities to show their view of where they were in order to help find them. But the calls were never completed, which is another "mystery." Local people and tourists have both said that there is usually good signal all along La Pianista, that their cell phones should have worked. But again, they are talking about the part of La Pianista before you reach the top of the mountain. As you descend, you're placing the continental divide between yourself and most of the signal towers around Boquetes. If that's where they were, chances are they were getting no signal.

I don't think they panicked; neither seemed like the panicking type. I am more inclined to think that instead they methodically tried to re-orient themselves, probably ascending if they could, and attempted to rediscover the trail. But by then it would be starting to become very late in the day and they would have been smart enough to be very afraid of getting benighted in the jungle. I think this tempted them to try to take shortcuts or climb cliffs in an attempt to get higher on the mountain again. They were not dressed for anything like this, wearing just shorts and tank tops and light walking shoes. I think they either both slipped at the same time and fell into a seasonal rain arroyo, a deep one with steep sides, or one girl fell and the other then slipped in while trying to help her. Either way, I believe they ended up at the bottom of a deep seasonal rut, one with steep slick sides, and both had serious injuries that kept them from climbing out again. There are plenty of ruts like this in the jungle where you can't get back up once down, much less do it hurt. So they were stuck there, and there they stayed.

The timeline chart shows what happened next. The first day or two after their fall, both girls made frequent attempts to call emergency services. Then the pace of the calls slows, as they realize they need to conserve battery time. They do a spectacular job of this (eight days on one charge for an iPhone? Now there's a supernatural mystery) restraining their phone use to three times a day each, then two; turn on, check for signal, try emergency number, turn off. The calls never connected.

By April 2nd, the girls had been missed in Boquete and a search began on April 3. The searchers, again, mainly stuck to the first part of La Pianista during the early days of the search, but by April 5 the disappearance had become international news and a major story in the Netherlands, with a lot of pressure on Panama to find the girls. The more informal local search teams were joined by much bigger efforts from the capital. The girls' parents flew in with Dutch detectives, search teams and dogs. For the first time the search teams fanned out all along La Pianista, including into the much rougher section, and also for the first time they searched overnight, firing phosphorus flares periodically.

It is during this period, on 8 April, when the "mysterious" 90 blank black photos were taken on Lisanne's camera. I believe this is when a search party reached a part of the trail close to where Lisanne and Kris were trapped. They saw flares, and answered back the best way they had; with the flash on the camera. It was a clever idea and a valiant effort, but a doomed one. I'm going to quote here from an article in a Dutch newspaper, because it is more succinct and eloquent about that moment than I could ever be.

Telegraaf posted:

The final seventy of the 133 sequential photos "appear to have been taken from a deep, dark location, almost certainly after sunset and presumably featuring a large amount of overhanging vegetation." The photos were taken "on April 8th during the night, presumably to draw attention."

That matches the already documented period of night photography between 01:00 and 04:00 on Tuesday 8th. This happens to be the first night out for a rescue team, said to have used light and sound signals. These are not described in detail, but a rescue party would normally use a Very pistol to send up a series of white parachute flares to indicate their own position.

It seems plausible that the women saw the light signals. How could they answer them? Apparently they didn't have the standard orange plastic whistle hikers usually carry. Wonderful piece of kit - costs little, weighs grams, makes a hell of a lot of noise. But tropical mountain woodland won't carry any sound very far, even in the almost windless conditions prevailing that night. And they did have a light source; their camera's flash.

But they couldn't aim that flash directly at the rescue team. Too many trees in the way. They were somewhere near a narrow river, with tall woodland on both sides. But they could see a patch of sky. Did it make sense to flash roughly vertically upwards? The reliable source of historical hourly weather data (links below) skips these particular hours, but highish humidity and partial cloud cover are on the cards. Perhaps they fired the flash a couple of times and saw some Tyndall scattering - like you would see a searchlight beam in damp or dusty conditions. In any case, they had nothing to lose and would certainly fail if they didn't try.

So they tried for hours. But the fingernail-sized flash of their pocket camera was too weak, or there wasn't much scattering and all the light just disappeared straight up. The dark frames themselves show no significant reflections. This is perhaps the most heartbreaking part of their ordeal.

There are three clear photos from that night. One shows a steep sided jungle cliff, looking from the bottom up. One shows a branch lying on a rock with ribbons of red plastic (ripped from a bag known to be in the girls' backpack) tied to it -- something one could wave as a signal, especially when one had become too hoarse and dehydrated to scream for help any more. And one shows the back of Kris Kremers' head, recognizable by her long red hair. I believe that at that point, Kris was already dead and Lisanne was dying.

Edit: Imgur album of the photos, including some :nws: :nms: ones of human bones and separated foot in shoe : :nws: http://imgur.com/a/ITPQC :nws:

Timeline:

bonestructure has a new favorite as of 03:04 on Jun 11, 2015

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Basebf555 posted:

lol yea I kind of expected a little ribbing when I posted that. What can I tell you I want to live in a world where its still possible for Bigfoot to exist.

You know he used to, right?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigantopithecus

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is vocal fry what Ira Glass does, or what those old Delicious Dish SNL segments were making fun of? I've never been able to figure out what it's supposed to be.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
None of these Bigfoot hunters would give a poo poo about Bigfoots if they were established scientific fact that you could watch nature documentaries on or see in the zoo. Most are just idiots that are tired of people telling them their dumb ideas are stupid and really want something they can throw in the naysayers' faces to prove they were right about everything. The rest are scammers preying on people that have already proved that they are idiots. Or a combination of both to form a self-sustaining scam ouroboros.

Bar Crow has a new favorite as of 18:32 on Jun 10, 2015

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

bonestructure posted:

I'm no Tom Mahood, but here is my theory about what happened to Kris Kremers and Lisanne Froon. I'm going to post this in two parts, because it's gotten really long.

Nicely thought out and well-written, I assume you know the area? Sounds like a plausible theory anyway. It's really easy to panic on a trail you don't know even in a fairly 'safe' area and I've been guilty of it myself - I think most hikers have at some point.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Yea, I've seen plenty of lovely history channel documentaries so I know all about Gigantopithecus. Its that plus stories like the discovery of the mountain gorilla that make my fantasy hard to let go of.

I remember some years ago when that con-artist guy held a press conference claiming to have found a Bigfoot corpse, which he had saved on-ice in a cooler. It turned out to be a rubber costume but I was pretty excited for like 24 hours!

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Wyntyr, I was born and raised in LaGrange and I never heard about any of that. We did have our own spooky stuff though, like notorious psychic/"seer" Mayhayley Lancaster just north of us. I can do a write up about her if anyone's interested. She was a very old woman who was involved in a police investigation and despite not being involved in any way, told the detectives exactly where to find the bodies of murder victims. The whole story is very creepy because she knew about things she couldn't possibly have known.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Bar Crow posted:

None of these Bigfoot hunters would give a poo poo about Bigfoots if they were established scientific fact that you could watch nature documentaries on or see in the zoo. Most are just idiots that are tired of people telling them their dumb ideas are stupid and really want something they can throw in the naysayers' faces to prove they were right about everything. The rest are scammers preying on people that have already proved that they are idiots. Or a combination of both to form a self-sustaining scam ouroboros.

They do it because it's fun to go on a hike into the woods, and bigfoot is a fun pretend thing to justify it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Tunicate posted:

They do it because it's fun to go on a hike into the woods, and bigfoot is a fun pretend thing to justify it.

Plus it can feel pretty good to imagine that you're a brave rogue in search of the truth and that you'll be vindicated. Especially if you're a boring loser with an otherwise empty life.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Thanks for the write up dude! It was a real interesting read.

HonorableTB posted:

Wyntyr, I was born and raised in LaGrange and I never heard about any of that. We did have our own spooky stuff though, like notorious psychic/"seer" Mayhayley Lancaster just north of us. I can do a write up about her if anyone's interested. She was a very old woman who was involved in a police investigation and despite not being involved in any way, told the detectives exactly where to find the bodies of murder victims. The whole story is very creepy because she knew about things she couldn't possibly have known.

Always yes, if it's creepy or unnerving. It doesn't have to be wikipedia based.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

bonestructure posted:

Edit: Imgur album of the photos: http://imgur.com/a/ITPQC human remains in this album

Timeline:

This is all very interesting, and tragic - thanks for posting it. Should point out that the imgur album contains images of human remains - you might want to tag it as such in case anyone stumbles upon it who isn't ok with seeing that. Not a trigger warning as such, but plenty of religious and social possibilities as to why someone might not want to see a pelvis and a shoe complete with foot.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

lenoon posted:

This is all very interesting, and tragic - thanks for posting it. Should point out that the imgur album contains images of human remains - you might want to tag it as such in case anyone stumbles upon it who isn't ok with seeing that. Not a trigger warning as such, but plenty of religious and social possibilities as to why someone might not want to see a pelvis and a shoe complete with foot.

Dang, thanks, I didn't think of that. I've nws'd it now.

Sorry, I am still finishing part 2 of what I think happened (they have a pesky habit of asking me to do work for my money :D ) That gruesome shoe/foot photo figures into it, as do the supposed "mystery" of why the girls' remains were so widely separated from each other and the backpack.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
I can somewhat put myself in the shoes of those girls. A year ago went on a solo hike to a trail I had not ever been before. There were 3 parts of the hike, the first to the top of a small mountain, took about 3 or so hours for your average person, not too demanding but not a walk in the park. This was the most popular hike, people climbed here and back down for a half day trip. Then there was the second part which was about an hour or so more, to a slightly higher mountain, in which I only bumped into two dudes. And the third part was a full loop up through the mountains and back down to the parking lot, for a full day hike, which very few people do.

I originally set off to do the full day hike, but I just so happened that it had snowed a week earlier and the hike was harder for it. So I got to the second milestone, at about 2 pm, thinking I could still make the full journey, rested a bit, had something to eat, I continued about half a kilometer further when I realized the trail had dissapeared from the snows, and since almost nobody else went for the whole hike, there were also no tracks to follow. In the end I had to turn back, for the better, because otherwise I would have gotten stuck up there all night, with dwindling supplies. It is REALLY easy to overestimate yourself.

I did get some cool shots though. these two are from just a little before turning back.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Bar Crow posted:

Tying perfectly into the discussion of losing the trail as you hike and poo poo, I think Bigfoot was probably made up by mothers to keep their kids from wandering out into the woods and getting lost/killed. Same with Ogopogo in Kelowna, BC, to like keep them from playing around the water and getting their dumb selves hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

On those shows when they stop and you hear some hooting in the distance, and then they respond, I always imagine the first hoots were coming from a competing Bigfoot show filming a mile away.

Then it's just deluded idiots hooting at each other in the woods, thinking they're having a real moment with ol' BF.

I thought the same thing a long time ago..."wouldn't it be great if these idiots were just hooting at other idiots looking for sasquatch?"

And I'm betting that's exactly what it is, all for ratings from even dumber people who watch and believe that poo poo