Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Nfcknblvbl posted:

stopping between lanes lowers risk since your chance of getting rear ended drops

but it forces someone to yield to allow the other into the lane and if I was the guy in the car I would have just gone. gently caress the donorcyclist.

Chorrax
May 11, 2007

:wotwot:

daaaaamn

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

don't post pictures of my childhood

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Shaggar posted:

but it forces someone to yield to allow the other into the lane and if I was the guy in the car I would have just gone. gently caress the donorcyclist.

if the motorcyclist has even the slightest common sense he's long gone before the car driver even notices the lights have changed.

filtering is perfectly safe in every single country it's allowed (basically all of them apart from most of america and parts of australia)

in fact here have a lovely video of me filtering perfectly safely, also a demonstration of hyperlapse, so you can have the calming redmond influence on you while you watch it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZEOhbq_F9w

pram
Jun 10, 2001
microsoft hyperlapse pro

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

goddamnedtwisto posted:

filtering is perfectly safe*

*except all the times that it's not, like the countless times people are crushed under the tires of vehicles because nobody is expecting a shitheel motorcyclist to be beside you in the same lane

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

if the motorcyclist has even the slightest common sense he's long gone before the car driver even notices the lights have changed.

filtering is perfectly safe in every single country it's allowed (basically all of them apart from most of america and parts of australia)

in fact here have a lovely video of me filtering perfectly safely, also a demonstration of hyperlapse, so you can have the calming redmond influence on you while you watch it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZEOhbq_F9w

you got smoked by some cyclists drafting a bus

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

no seriously, the amount of crashes resulting in injury involving filtering in the uk are basically a blip on the scale (and almost inevitably involve some serious wrongdoing on the behalf of either the motorcyclist, driver, or both). the closing speeds are low enough that most accidents involving legal filtering are at most minor scrapes.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

jetz0r posted:

you got smoked by some cyclists drafting a bus

i let them go because they're narrower than me and i could see a closing gap ahead, so i was looking for a refuge. technically they were doing the wrong thing sitting in the blind spot of the bus but on that particular stretch it's more a technical failing than an actual dangerous thing.

e: i'm considerably more ashamed of being beaten by the lovely pizza moped off the lights on farringdon road but i was trying to make my mind up whether to turn off there

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jun 10, 2015

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

pram posted:

microsoft hyperlapse pro

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

pram posted:

microsoft hyperprolapse

PipeRifle
Oct 4, 2004

we have catte

check out this totally safe move where I willfully drive against the flow of traffic in an oncoming lane and swerve out of the way at the last second

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

PipeRifle posted:

check out this totally safe move where I willfully drive against the flow of traffic in an oncoming lane and swerve out of the way at the last second

correct. obviously the timelapse makes it look a lot more frantic but the bits where i'm in the oncoming lane are literally what you're taught to do (the slightly less-legal bits where were i was going on the kerb side and into the cycle lane), and indeed depending on the examiner it can be a test fail *not* to filter where it is safe to do so.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

goddamnedtwisto posted:

no seriously, the amount of crashes resulting in injury involving filtering in the uk are basically a blip on the scale (and almost inevitably involve some serious wrongdoing on the behalf of either the motorcyclist, driver, or both). the closing speeds are low enough that most accidents involving legal filtering are at most minor scrapes.

remember that "now you see him!" tv campaign? the one that was supposed to make drivers more aware of motorcyclists. even in an official loving campaign the motorcyclist was 100% at fault because he was trying to overtake someone who was turning right.

PipeRifle
Oct 4, 2004

we have catte

goddamnedtwisto posted:

correct. obviously the timelapse makes it look a lot more frantic but the bits where i'm in the oncoming lane are literally what you're taught to do (the slightly less-legal bits where were i was going on the kerb side and into the cycle lane), and indeed depending on the examiner it can be a test fail *not* to filter where it is safe to do so.

That's crazy to me, the uninformed observer, but I suppose cars pass in the oncoming lane when it's safe to do so

I think it's a combination of the hyperlapse and the generally frantic-looking pace of that drive in general when seen by an American who did a lot of rural driving and in the cities it's been a lot more regimented for cars (no real opportunities to pass, ever)

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

pram posted:

microsoft hyper prolapse

e;fb

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
as a cager, i

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

spankmeister posted:

o i c

that explains why you called the Dragon curve the L curve.

no i didn't. i called it an L-system curve, to not be so specific

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

L-system curve?

a dragon curve IS an L-system

i was just asking because i wasn't absolutely sure if this (a dragon curve)

translates into this

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

I have no problem with people who drive motorcycles respectfully, but bad motorcycle drivers are the worst. When the speed limit is around 70 mph / 120 kph and you get passed by an idiot speeding excessively, cutting so close to your car that if you had adjusted your lane position or speed at all they would have hit you, it's frustrating. And of course the people doing that are always wearing zero protective gear. I don't want to deal with some idiot ending up a stain on the highway and their family is all upset because they were being an idiot. I mean, by all means kill yourselves on your own time just don't involve others it's a bit rude

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
and yet when people drive cars like that we just salute them as paragons of the road or whatever bullshit

*edit and by we i mean the majority of society and idiots as a whole

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Gus Hobbleton posted:

and yet when people drive cars like that we just salute them as paragons of the road or whatever bullshit

*edit and by we i mean the majority of society and idiots as a whole

That's not acceptable behavior either, but at least the consequences are usually less severe

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EddX9hnhDS4

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

people being uncool to others and arguing spreads like fire through these forums sometimes.

Its like on a weekly cycle or something.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

wish I could filter all those posts

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
steak chat, pizza chat, circumcision chat

GO!

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

i think i want my forskin back, but im not sure

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sweevo posted:

remember that "now you see him!" tv campaign? the one that was supposed to make drivers more aware of motorcyclists. even in an official loving campaign the motorcyclist was 100% at fault because he was trying to overtake someone who was turning right.

yeah, that pissed me off, but it's no different really from the "watch out for pedestrians walking out without looking" ones. sometimes people are loving idiots and regardless of right or wrong you should probably still be aware of them

PipeRifle posted:

That's crazy to me, the uninformed observer, but I suppose cars pass in the oncoming lane when it's safe to do so

I think it's a combination of the hyperlapse and the generally frantic-looking pace of that drive in general when seen by an American who did a lot of rural driving and in the cities it's been a lot more regimented for cars (no real opportunities to pass, ever)

i'll upload the non-timelapsed version which is a bit less insane (although you'll have to put up with my weird muttering and sighs on the mic), but yeah to a non-initiate (even another uk-based biker) london filtering is pretty intense. the thing is though that as long as the rider is sane (and i ride like an old lady compared to most of my mates) and aware of their surroundings (the hyperlapse, by design, cuts out just how long i spend looking around me) then it's really not adding much danger at all.

i'm aware i'm painting a huge red "KICK ME" sign on my back visible to the fates but of the four crashes i've had in my coming on for twenty years of riding, only one was while i was filtering and was mostly caused by me going too fast and not paying enough attention - i committed the cardinal sin of not wondering why one car had stopped, and it was because he was letting someone else out, who t-boned me.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

KoRMaK posted:

i think i want my forskin back, but im not sure

just put a bit of baked pineapple on the tip

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
DEATH

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Silver Alicorn posted:

steak chat, pizza chat, circumcision chat

GO!

If you cut off all the crust on a pizza, it is like circumcising it

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

NoneMoreNegative posted:

just put a bit of baked pineapple on the tip
now i finally have the motivation I need to become an expert yoga bender

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

at least something YOSPOS agrees on

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

mods ill take "Anybody Killa" TIA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

prefect posted:

i recently read about a study that said it's not actually dangerous for motorcycles to do that (that seems unintuitive to me)

it's not right to run over motorcyclists like that. but if mouthing off to people is something this guy does regularly, he shouldn't be surprised that he eventually got his rear end kicked for it

It's worth noting that yes, he maybe shouldn't be surprised, but not because it's somehow his fault or because he "provoked" someone, as this line of reasoning usually implies. He shouldn't be surprised because there are a lot of assholes, and he was bound to meet one of them at some point. That way, the blame lies (lack of surprise or not) with the guy who deserves it, the rear end in a top hat in the car who reacts to being told he drives badly with attempted murder.

• Locked thread