Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax

zbeezy posted:

Thank you. He was 14 year old rescue kitty who had been with me for a decade. He was part of my flock and I'm not sure if Zoidberg thought he was a bird or if Fry, my GCC, thinks he's a cat, but those two were buddies. Fry has been extremely extra clingy to me and paying more attention to Slimbird since Zoidy's sudden departure.

Speaking of Lady Slimbird... We've been venturing outside in the afternoons for the past couple of days. She's a fatass and clipped so I'm not super worried about her going anywhere. She also let's me hold onto her feet. We sat on the porch with the neighbor lady and neighbor lady's cousin gossiping yesterday. Slim really got into the conversation chattering and whistling and even doing some actual talking. Neighbor lady invited her back over to party sometime lol. Slim really really likes to yell at passing trucks and motorcycles and seems to understand that she can use her outdoor voice, because I've never heard her be so loud. She let passers by pet her and talk to her and then yelled at them when they left to go on their way. I think she dislikes anyone leaving her.

She's really warming up to me. Except today I leaned down too close to her cage to grab a dropped toy and she honked me on the nose with her beak. It didn't hurt or injure me. It was actually kinda funny, but I'll be back to retrieving her toys w a broom thank you very much.

It's super late and I can't sleep so I've been up reading. I'm being quiet, but talks in her sleep. Sweet little "ooohs"

I'm sorry to hear you guys lost part of your flock. :( It sounds like you gave Dr Zoidberg a good life, though.

It's good that Slim seems to be settling in more! I hope you can keep her after all, I love hearing about her antics and she sounds like a super fun bird. :3:

:kimchi:

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

:gonk: triggered

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Never stop being fabulous, Ohtori :allears:

And yes, beezy, hugs and condolences on Zoidberg's passing :( I remember the first time you posted pictures of him and Fry together, it was so cute. Zoidberg was a good catte.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
I tried to get a photo of Taco being held like an ice cream cone, but as soon as I took out my phone he got all bent out of shape and was having none of it.

rear end in a top hat bird.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

GoldStandardConure posted:

I tried to get a photo of Taco being held like an ice cream cone, but as soon as I took out my phone he got all bent out of shape and was having none of it.

rear end in a top hat bird.

i get birds climbing up the window and hanging from the top and they get down the instant they see my camera

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I'm 95% ready to get a cockatiel, but one thing that just struck me is, bird-proofing electronics with upwards-turned grates and holes? How necessary is that?

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

zbeezy posted:

Fry lost his pet cat Friday afternoon. They were best buds who snuggled all the time. Dr. Zoidberg went quickly from liver failure. Fry knows he's gone and has been snuggling me more than ever. We are both pretty upset over the loss of our kitty.

So very sorry :( I know its a bit late, but we are sending good thoughts your way. We lost a few of ours over the years to renal failure, so I am glad Dr Z went quickly. Best wishes to your and yours, and give your bird a skritch for me if you don't mind.

Knight Corgi
Jan 5, 2014
I have a small question.
I have found a wounded common swift on the middle of the road. Its left wing is wounded but other than that, it looks alright.
I took him home and I have planned to take it to the animal rescue center tomorrow morning. It even pooped a little. I was just wondering if it's okay for it not to have any food until tomorrow morning? When I have found it it was 2pm. It's now 7pm and I have planned to take it to the center at around 9am.
I don't have any experience with birds and when I picked it up it gets always very stressed and I guess that its left wing hurts like hell. But obviously, if it can't survive without food for the next few hours I will try my best.
I simply hope it will make it until tomorrow morning.
Thanks guys.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
A small bird like that with an injury is unlikely to survive that long without food, and certainly not without water.

Try a small shallow bowl with cool water in it, and look up what a swift eats and see if you can provide any of those things.

Knight Corgi
Jan 5, 2014

Kenshin posted:

A small bird like that with an injury is unlikely to survive that long without food, and certainly not without water.

Try a small shallow bowl with cool water in it, and look up what a swift eats and see if you can provide any of those things.

I've already given some drops of water, the bird doesn't serve itself unfortunately. But alright then, I am going to buy some minced meet right now (and eat it with the little guy). Although minced meat is not the best for common swifts, it's usually recommended for a short amount of time (under a week). That's the least I can do.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

We bought a ton of new furniture which shipped today, which means that we had to get rid of all the furniture in the house and boy is Loki confused! Firstly, now that the couch is gone, we weren't in the room with him very much, and he was confused at having to fly all the way in the bedroom when he wanted to play. Secondly, the room has a lot of echo in it with two of the major pieces of furniture gone, and contrary to what I would have figured, he does not like the echo one bit.

I am sure that once we get the new couch set up, he will get used to it quickly, probably by flying over, taking a poo poo, and flying back to his cage.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

nielsm posted:

I'm 95% ready to get a cockatiel, but one thing that just struck me is, bird-proofing electronics with upwards-turned grates and holes? How necessary is that?

Is that for protection against poo, or nibbling?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Battle Pigeon posted:

Is that for protection against poo, or nibbling?

Mostly protection against poo. I know potty training is a thing, but it isn't something that works from day one. I can protect and hide loose cables, but grates on top of electronic stuff could catch all sorts of poo poo, literally. Especially on e.g. my stereo amp which gets comfortably warm, I could imagine a bird would like sitting on/near it.

I guess I'm mostly wondering if it's actually a real problem others have or if I'm over thinking it.

Opera Bitch
Sep 28, 2004

Let me lull you to sleep with my sweet song!

My birds are super chill when it comes to being held. Cheeky will protest at first while Baby lets me mess with him however I want. I can even hold him up by his wings and he will just hang there like it's no big thing, but I can't very well take a pic of him when I do it. That is the only thing Cheeky will not tolerate though.

Ice Cream cone Baby

Balanced Baby

Hanging Baby

Ice Cream cone Cheeky

Balanced Cheeky

Cheeky trying to preen herself while hanging

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
I found this image.

Suddenly, the "potato" nickname makes a lot of sense.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Opera Bitch posted:

My birds are super chill when it comes to being held. Cheeky will protest at first while Baby lets me mess with him however I want. I can even hold him up by his wings and he will just hang there like it's no big thing, but I can't very well take a pic of him when I do it. That is the only thing Cheeky will not tolerate though.

Ice Cream cone Baby

Balanced Baby

Hanging Baby

Ice Cream cone Cheeky

Balanced Cheeky

Cheeky trying to preen herself while hanging

Oh my god these are cracking me up, particularly that last one. No big deal, nothing out of the ordinary here, time to preen my pantaloons

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Alexis would scream bloody murder (and bite the poo poo out of my hand) if I ever tried to hold her up by her tail. :stare:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

nielsm posted:

Mostly protection against poo. I know potty training is a thing, but it isn't something that works from day one. I can protect and hide loose cables, but grates on top of electronic stuff could catch all sorts of poo poo, literally. Especially on e.g. my stereo amp which gets comfortably warm, I could imagine a bird would like sitting on/near it.

I guess I'm mostly wondering if it's actually a real problem others have or if I'm over thinking it.

Depends where it will be sitting I guess, if above said electronics then sure something to protect against the occasional poop nugget but they won't be blasting it across the room or anything. You'll also soon recognise the signs when they're beginning to arrange themselves to drop a turd and be able to move them accordingly. They'll usually poo poo about every 15 minutes or so, longer when napping or chilling out. A cockatiel's poo poo will be small and likely pretty dry, you can just put even a sheet of kitchen roll/paper towel under where they perch and it will be fine. Or a newspaper page or whatever. Cockatiels aren't too bad in that respect.

Prepare for the cockatiel dust and fluffy feathers getting on/in everything though!

Kenshin posted:

Alexis would scream bloody murder (and bite the poo poo out of my hand) if I ever tried to hold her up by her tail. :stare:

Yeah probably this-and I've never tried it because won't the tail feathers all come out at once??? Oh no

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Battle Pigeon posted:

Yeah probably this-and I've never tried it because won't the tail feathers all come out at once??? Oh no
I tug (very lightly!) on her tail feathers while we're playing to tease her, but that's about it. I know they could hold her but she would be so, so angry.

Recently I inadvertently taught her to play "pass the jinglyball/keep-away" and now she demands I play it with her nearly every day. It's pretty drat adorable and as ferocious as she acts while we're playing she always pulls her punches... erm, bites. At this point I'm used to letting her "strike" at my hand while playing because she never actually bites down.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Boop similarly would scream bloody murder.

Opera Bitch
Sep 28, 2004

The birds dislike the process of getting them upside down much more than the hanging itself. They wriggle a little when I hold the tail, but once they are in that position they just accept their fate and dangle. The funniest part about holding them on their backs are the occasional little foot movements as if to say, "I am gonna turn myself over now... eh, maybe not."

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

If they weren't all long covered up I'd be harassing Ohtori right now, just to see how he'd react...

Kenshin posted:

Recently I inadvertently taught her to play "pass the jinglyball/keep-away" and now she demands I play it with her nearly every day. It's pretty drat adorable and as ferocious as she acts while we're playing she always pulls her punches... erm, bites. At this point I'm used to letting her "strike" at my hand while playing because she never actually bites down.

Aww! How did you teach her? Jingly balls just send mine into a rage.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Battle Pigeon posted:

Aww! How did you teach her? Jingly balls just send mine into a rage.
Well, she's been obsessed with a small suitcase I have that is now her playpen, and I initially had tossed a few toys in there as well (though she hardly cares about the toys). She'll spend a lot of time just climbing around the thing and chewing on the straps inside the suitcase (it's ruined now, but had already gone through a decade of abuse going around the world, so it doesn't matter).

However, she loved tossing the jinglyball out of it, and often then onto the floor (normally it sits on my bed, but sometimes I'll put it on my couch or weight bench depending on where I am in the apartment). I got into a habit of tossing it right back in... and eventually it became a game.

So now I'll sit on one end of my bed, she'll "hide" in the tunnel formed by the suitcase lid being open, and I'll shake the jinglyball and flick it toward her. She'll grab it, give it a bunch of hard shakes, and then 2/3 of the time she'll push it back toward my hand and then run back into her tunnel. The other 1/3 of the time she'll run the other direction with it and toss it off the bed so I have to go fetch it.

I've been meaning to film it.

EDIT: I've also discovered that I can use "step up!" for "calm down". Even when Alexis is either waaay too into play or is actually angry, I can get her to calm down and step up. Works almost every time (almost, because sometimes in the evening when she's on top of her cage and feeling extra sleepy and cage defensive it won't work)

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jun 11, 2015

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I am starting to think that I have the most chill GCC ever birthed. My vet recommended that I switch him over from a mostly seed diet to pellets by basically just giving him pellets with occasional seeds (apparently this is common) but warned it might be hell and I would have to keep super close eye on him to make sure everything is okay.

One day of not really eating and he's munching down the healthy pellets like they're candy. Can't tell if I have a very health-conscious bird or he's just a goon that will eat anything as long as he can have a lot of it.

E. Bird pic tax

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jun 11, 2015

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I assure you it's the latter.

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

After six months of unemployment and a broken desktop, I've returned to announce that all of my birds are still alive and still utter assholes and that I'm glad that the majority of your little dinosaurs all look healthy and happy, too. :3:

Corgi
Jun 9, 2010

Battle Pigeon posted:

Prepare for the cockatiel dust and fluffy feathers getting on/in everything though!

Yeah, I'd be more worried about this than about poop. Be prepared to clean dust out of everything.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Opera Bitch posted:

The birds dislike the process of getting them upside down much more than the hanging itself. They wriggle a little when I hold the tail, but once they are in that position they just accept their fate and dangle. The funniest part about holding them on their backs are the occasional little foot movements as if to say, "I am gonna turn myself over now... eh, maybe not."
I thought a lot of conures were built to dangle, kind of like macaws (I thought... now I'm not so sure). I know I've seen a bunch that would just dangle by a foot so they could eat fruit hanging from the branch they were grabbing onto, and all the birds I've seen enjoyed getting flipped over to the point they'd sorta toss themselves over a finger perch so they could hang there all cool like :3:

Going by the tailfeathers though is a bridge too far for any bird I've known. Messing with tails was grounds for a murderin' :stare:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Yeah sometimes Ama's tailfeathers overlap the wrong way and fixing them is like a repeated process of darting in and retreating before his indignant squeak finishes and he tries to ding me

also conures dangling from one foot are literally the cutest thing ever, he'll clamber around upside-down on his cage ceiling and look soulfully into my eyes when he wants to be let out, and if that doesn't work he unleashes his ultimate and unlatches one foot to dangle back and forth adorably and make baby begging sounds

it's super effective

Opera Bitch
Sep 28, 2004

DarkHorse posted:

Going by the tailfeathers though is a bridge too far for any bird I've known. Messing with tails was grounds for a murderin' :stare:
My spouse and I have always messed around with Baby, so much so that he tolerates darn near everything. Cheeky had not been too hand tamed before I adopted her and it has taken over two and a half years to get her where I can mess with around with her the same way I do him. She nips a little on occasion but nothing hard, I think it out of habit more than anything else. I'm pretty proud of how nonchalant they are about being held every which way.

I plan on having kids in the next two years so I figure I will get them used to manhandling now. I mean, our kids wouldn't have touching access to them for a long time but at least the birds will be used to having their feathers literally ruffled by then.

aerialsilks
Nov 28, 2013

please stop telling me about how you "humanely euthanized" your hamster by drowning it in its ball

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Yeah sometimes Ama's tailfeathers overlap the wrong way and fixing them is like a repeated process of darting in and retreating before his indignant squeak finishes and he tries to ding me

Meanwhile, Pie makes this terrible squeak-quack if I stroke his tail that I'm almost like 90% sure is a bird moan. Gross. (And then tries to chew on me.)

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

Official Bizness posted:

After six months of unemployment and a broken desktop, I've returned to announce that all of my birds are still alive and still utter assholes and that I'm glad that the majority of your little dinosaurs all look healthy and happy, too. :3:

Yay! How are the murderlove birds?

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

He's adorable :3: Do you have any more pictures of him? His chest feathers look kind of... well, it looks in this picture like he hasn't got any, and that it's all down?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Pile of Kittens posted:

He's adorable :3: Do you have any more pictures of him? His chest feathers look kind of... well, it looks in this picture like he hasn't got any, and that it's all down?

Yeah, we are still working on getting him to stop plucking, which is why we are changing over his diet. Everything all together he is getting noticeable growth on the more bare part of his wings, but his chest is still really downy. He is getting better though, it's just a slow process

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Crossposting from PYF.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Official Bizness posted:

more photos of zeke & zoey cuddling please :3:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
More x-post reddit, you people need more softbills:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCT1qGsT27Q
http://www.reddit.com/r/parrots/comments/39cinw/blissed_out_postbath_aracari_bonus_video_in/

Meanwhile this is what we came home to:

How do you even do that, bird?

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jun 11, 2015

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Well would you look at that

DreamShipWrecked posted:

E. Bird pic tax

His chest actually looks really cute and super fluffy, despite the reasons for it. Wanna pet that bird :3:

Official Bizness posted:

Welcome baaaaack. Good to hear your butts are doing well, seconding LAB's request. You have the best grouchy old loving GCCs.

Cythereal posted:

Crossposting from PYF.

The cockatiels and budgies, eh sure, but the zebra finches are just impressive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
cockatiel on the left looks like he's about to bust heart wings and do his mating dance, cause obviously the next step after determining something isn't going to kill you is to try and gently caress it when you're a :derptiel: