Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Well, I would imagine people don't like combing through 30 tabs in their recent apps list since that's where the new UI puts them.

What I mean is that if you just open a tab to look something up and then close it, you're not using the tab merging. At that point it's exactly the same as having it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Desk Lamp posted:

What I mean is that if you just open a tab to look something up and then close it, you're not using the tab merging. At that point it's exactly the same as having it off.

This is true, but to be fair it turned on automatically when my phone/chrome updated (i forget if the feature requires lollipop or not, but my phone does have lollipop) and just never bothered to turn it off because like I said...my usage patterns suit it pretty well :effort:

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Everyone complains about the Chrome tab merging but I hate that every time I do a search it will put another entry in recents.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="446378425"]
I can say from my vast experience that this person swiped "it", and his keyboard put "our".

Whoops lol I didn't even see that. SwiftKey is cool.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

butt dickus posted:

Everyone complains about the Chrome tab merging but I hate that every time I do a search it will put another entry in recents.
Hate this too.

edit: Other annoyance (actually Im pretty sure this is lollipop not M): Why, when phone is locked, can I pull down the notification shade, but swiping up to close the notification shade prompt to unlock? I didn't select a notification, I didn't ask to do anything that needs it unlocked, I just wanted to close the notification shade. WTF Google.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jun 10, 2015

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

ilkhan posted:

Hate this too.

edit: Other annoyance (actually Im pretty sure this is lollipop not M): Why, when phone is locked, can I pull down the notification shade, but swiping up to close the notification shade prompt to unlock? I didn't select a notification, I didn't ask to do anything that needs it unlocked, I just wanted to close the notification shade. WTF Google.
Doesn't happen for me on a Nexus 5 with 5.1.1. Unless when I swipe up to close the notification shade I do it from the bottom of the phone where there are no notifications... because swiping up the phone IS the unlock gesture.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Alright, so I have a completely working TinyCore VM ready. I have it running on my Mac in VMWare Fusion, but you should be able to run it with VMWare player or whatever is free on Windows. It's 1.45GBs uncompressed, can someone recommend a good host for this file?

EDIT to clarify, it runs ADB and FASTBOOT for Samsung, LG, HTC, and Motorola phones. If someone has another phone, I can figure out the vendor ID and add it, but for now, it's setup with those codes, I think. It works for sure with my N5, both in fast boot and ADB.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Just watching the spinning coloured balls at the boot screen - I've got a working Nexus 5 again!

All it took was a VirtualBox install, an Ubuntu ISO, ten minutes' web searching, and a few tots of whiskey for luck. Mental.

HACK THE PLANET

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
So does no one need my OVA then?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

EvilElmo posted:

Yay. I got a new phone finally! My battery now lasts a day! Samsung S6. Now to pretty it up.

Step 1: Change system font to comic sans
Step 2: Bask in the glory
Step 3: Never post a screenshot in here for fear of ridicule

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

:allears:

the turbo owner forums on Motorola's sites are going nuts, same with the turbo subreddit.

the 2013 moto x will get 5.1 before the Turbo does

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

this_is_hard posted:

the turbo owner forums on Motorola's sites are going nuts, same with the turbo subreddit.

It's glorious how for whatever the gently caress reason, everyone was so sure that June 10th was officially confirmed by Verizon and Motorola somewhere. One G+ post and one tweet from one guy saying, "I don't have information strong enough to post on AP" means it's 100% absolutely supposed to come out today in these people's minds. Now that it hasn't, they've all been victimized somehow.

The butthurt is palpable.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Spoke too soon. I've just gotten everything re-installed, updated and signed-in... and now my N5 is freezing at random before switching itself off.

I fear I have angered some minor tech deity; is there anything at all that's likely to nail down what's causing this?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

people on the owners forum are calling to harass call center folks because they were promised an update :allears:

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

spincube posted:

Spoke too soon. I've just gotten everything re-installed, updated and signed-in... and now my N5 is freezing at random before switching itself off.

I fear I have angered some minor tech deity; is there anything at all that's likely to nail down what's causing this?

It sounds like a hardware failure to me. These things happen.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Mogomra posted:

It's glorious how for whatever the gently caress reason, everyone was so sure that June 10th was officially confirmed by Verizon and Motorola somewhere. One G+ post and one tweet from one guy saying, "I don't have information strong enough to post on AP" means it's 100% absolutely supposed to come out today in these people's minds. Now that it hasn't, they've all been victimized somehow.

The butthurt is palpable.

i agree, but at the same time it really is perplexing how it has taken Motorola/Verizon so long to upgrade the turbo when it essentially has the same specs as the Nexus 6 and the same software as the Moto X.

i definitely understand being frustrated with Motorola/Verizon but it was silly to take Some Dude Who Writes For Android Police's Tweet 100% at face value

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

this_is_hard posted:

As an outside observer, I just find it all hilarious.

I can only recall one fast release from Motorola (4.4 for the 2013 Moto X,) and now everybody expects it to be the norm. Did everyone forget the days of MotoBlur?

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

this_is_hard posted:

i agree, but at the same time it really is perplexing how it has taken Motorola/Verizon so long to upgrade the turbo when it essentially has the same specs as the Nexus 6 and the same software as the Moto X.

i definitely understand being frustrated with Motorola/Verizon but it was silly to take Some Dude Who Writes For Android Police's Tweet 100% at face value

Totally. It sucks that it's taken so long. I'm not saying that it doesn't. If anything, I'd just want some communication. Moto/Verizon have been super tight lipped other than "Yeah, it's planned to go straight to 5.1" and that was in March. Even just a, "Yeah, it's still planned to go straight to 5.1", or a, "Nope, nevermind. Have fun with Kit-Kat." would be better than absolute radio silence.

Still doesn't explain why people latched on to this rumor so hard. It's ridiculous.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Mogomra posted:

Totally. It sucks that it's taken so long. I'm not saying that it doesn't. If anything, I'd just want some communication. Moto/Verizon have been super tight lipped other than "Yeah, it's planned to go straight to 5.1" and that was in March. Even just a, "Yeah, it's still planned to go straight to 5.1", or a, "Nope, nevermind. Have fun with Kit-Kat." would be better than absolute radio silence.

Still doesn't explain why people latched on to this rumor so hard. It's ridiculous.

yeah I think it definitely irks people that they keep releasing statements on the Moto X 2013 but have said absolutely nothing regarding the Turbo. The 2013 X has an excuse in the relatively unique internals, the Turbo is basically the exact same fuckin thing as a Nexus/2014 X

edit: so the same Android Police guy who originally said the OTA would be today now says it has been pushed back to June 12th, so Friday.

https://twitter.com/RDR0b11/status/608730949380014081

big business man fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jun 10, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's really no mystery that the turbo is going to go through more validation for advanced calling than the N6 did since it's a phone they actually sell in volume and promote. It's a still smaller mystery that a phone that has to be upgraded from one major revision to another has to undergo more testing than a phone that launched on a specific version in the first place.

I've scarcely had 5.1.1 on my Nexus 9 for a month, so a month lag from google's own flagship device isn't really all that bad.

The big thing is, my Turbo works and it works very well. I've only now started to trust that my N9 is going to work consistently so I have a bit of PTSD when it comes to lollipop. I don't need my main communication device going through random freezups or reboots or just be generally frustrating to use.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I gave up on GVoice long ago, but looks like google may not have?

"The Google Voice team wants to know more about how you use the product on a day-to-day basis. They'll be using the survey results to help improve Google Voice and prioritize features."
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/voice/5m5V4s37NGs

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Nah, Voice is the new Wave.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Google voice is good for craigslist

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

I've scarcely had 5.1.1 on my Nexus 9 for a month, so a month lag from google's own flagship device isn't really all that bad.

Regardless of how you feel about Lollipop, it's pretty disingenuous to call it "a month lag" when the Turbo has been on KitKat this whole time. I understand not caring about being up to date given Lollipop's issues, but that doesn't mean you can claim Motorola is still totally fast with updates, just a month or so lag! :)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

RVProfootballer posted:

Regardless of how you feel about Lollipop, it's pretty disingenuous to call it "a month lag" when the Turbo has been on KitKat this whole time. I understand not caring about being up to date given Lollipop's issues, but that doesn't mean you can claim Motorola is still totally fast with updates, just a month or so lag! :)

Until 5.1.1 came out, Lollipop was missing critical functionality that was required for the Turbo to be updated. There's no two ways about it. Until google had functioning VoLTE baked into the OS, Turbo wasn't getting Lollipop. Prior builds of Lollipop might as well not exist, they weren't valid OS targets for the Turbo.

You can skewer Motorola all you want over this. The fact remains that they they are a smaller phone manufacturer that's leaning heavily on Google to have a stable and feature complete codebase and that flat out didn't exist until this quarter. They are also at the mercy of their partners (both SoC and carrier) and cannot push them to go faster because they don't have the clout.

Notice how in cases where that hasn't been an impediment (for example, initial Lollipop release on the 2014 X), they were one of the first to update.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Android Police has a write up on Hangouts 4.0 http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/06/10/an-exclusive-early-look-at-hangouts-4-0/

Looks nicer imo but who knows if it'll be any good. Maybe if they just ahead and killed Voice and merged it with Hangouts or something.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

RVProfootballer posted:

The 2014 Moto X was updated to 5.1 starting last month, and the 2013 X got 5.0.2 in March, with 5.1 going out to a test population last month. It sure as poo poo isn't all Moto's fault when the Turbo's all crapped up with Verizon's bullshit.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

FAUXTON posted:

The 2014 Moto X was updated to 5.1 starting last month

Wait, what's this? This is the first I've heard of 5.1 for the 2014 X.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

hooah posted:

Wait, what's this? This is the first I've heard of 5.1 for the 2014 X.

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/prod_answer_detail/a_id/104930

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

Notice how in cases where that hasn't been an impediment (for example, initial Lollipop release on the 2014 X), they were one of the first to update.

Sorry, I meant with the Turbo specifically, though reading it again I see how that wasn't obvious. Just you can't say "it's only a one month lag probably!" when the thing hasn't been up to date this whole time. Like you say, it isn't likely Motorola's fault either, there's Verizon and Google's poo poo to deal with too.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

new Droid rumors:

quote:

Here's a more fun rumor. I can't corroborate this and I doubt we'll be getting confirmation any time soon. Again, this is subject to change, but I have a reasonably solid confidence in the source of the information.

Looks like there will be 2 DROIDs on Verizon this year. One of them will be high-end, the other more mid-range. The high-end device is a successor to the current Turbo/Maxx.

1440p display (don't know the size)
Snapdragon 810
3GB RAM
4200mAh battery
Android 5.1 at launch
Even faster Turbo Charging
New industrial design
microSD card slot
16.1MP rear / 5MP front cameras - and it has a front-facing LED flash, plus more manual camera controls (than current Moto devices).

Let's see how this one pans out in a couple months' time.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/113781386215450614303/posts/RBfzHxEpUjL

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

4GB of PREINSTALLED UNREMOVABLE VERIZON poo poo

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

FAUXTON posted:

4GB of PREINSTALLED UNREMOVABLE VERIZON poo poo

That doesn't exist now so I don't know why you think that will change.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jun 11, 2015

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I like it, but I wonder how many of the users who don't like it are ones that leave like 30 tabs open or something. Usually when I open a tab in chrome on my phone or tablet, I look up what I need to look up and just close it when I'm done.

I didn't like it because even with 3 tabs open they were scattered amongst everything else I had open on my switcher and took a non-negligible amount of time to find them, which is a drop in functionality for what appears to be no benefit. Also, it breaks the ability to open a link in a new tab and then use Back to close it dropping back to the previous tab, which is again a needless inconvenience.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Well, I ended up jumping on a new 2013 X for $215 shipped, because I didn't want to buy a flat-out used one, and the only refurbished developer edition came from a seller with only 60% positive feedback. Mine's only the 16gb, but it will probably take me a while to fill all that up with ebooks and music. It gets here between the 16th and 18th. Which is good, considering that my current phone is barely able to charge quickly enough to keep up with the SA app.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

I couldn't find out which version(s) that page is for. Is it just for the Pure one? I'm on Verizon unfortunately, so my memory leak will probably never get fixed :(

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

hooah posted:

I couldn't find out which version(s) that page is for. Is it just for the Pure one? I'm on Verizon unfortunately, so my memory leak will probably never get fixed :(

Pure version only, sorry about the Verizon issue :(

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Well, I ended up jumping on a new 2013 X for $215 shipped, because I didn't want to buy a flat-out used one, and the only refurbished developer edition came from a seller with only 60% positive feedback. Mine's only the 16gb, but it will probably take me a while to fill all that up with ebooks and music. It gets here between the 16th and 18th. Which is good, considering that my current phone is barely able to charge quickly enough to keep up with the SA app.

You'll be happy. It is a good phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Saw a ridiculously good looking fake s6 tonight. Like, amazing. I actually turned it down, checked it out again, and then called the guy again later. Only a few incorrect things in settings and stuff gave it away and a bum serial number and imei. The IMEI actually checked clean. Didnt know until i googled it it was on other fake s6's