Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Zoe posted:

Where can I go to read more about funny, actually interesting Sabretooth? I like the character in theory but most of my previous exposure to him was in this terrible 90s comic my brother had that was trying waaay to hard to be edgy. (I realize now that that was just a 90s thing and not necessarily his fault.)

Sabretooth should definitely have a jetpack more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Zoe posted:

Where can I go to read more about funny, actually interesting Sabretooth? I like the character in theory but most of my previous exposure to him was in this terrible 90s comic my brother had that was trying waaay to hard to be edgy. (I realize now that that was just a 90s thing and not necessarily his fault.)

Exiles and Age of Apocalypse.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

bobkatt013 posted:

Exiles and Age of Apocalypse.

And the posted page. At least it's not a lot to catch up on.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
This is still my favorite Sabretooth appearance from the last few years:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

This is still my favorite Sabretooth appearance from the last few years:

I also enjoyed a previous bit in the run where Sabretooth informs the Hand that pasta night is cancelled because of the contract on Deadpool popping up on his phone

Mindisgone
May 18, 2011

Yeah, well you know...
That's just like, your opinion man.
What is my best bet as far as hunting down an issue of New Mutants #98? A local shop has it but I want to hunt around and do my best not to pay hundreds of dollars for it.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Mindisgone posted:

What is my best bet as far as hunting down an issue of New Mutants #98? A local shop has it but I want to hunt around and do my best not to pay hundreds of dollars for it.
Do you want the actual issue, or are reprints in trades viable? Because it's been reprinted in a few different books.

Mindisgone
May 18, 2011

Yeah, well you know...

redbackground posted:

Do you want the actual issue, or are reprints in trades viable? Because it's been reprinted in a few different books.

Yeah that info would help wouldn't it. I am looking for the actual issue, Near Mint or better quality. CGC preferred.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Mindisgone posted:

Yeah that info would help wouldn't it. I am looking for the actual issue, Near Mint or better quality. CGC preferred.
Then ebay. And you will be spending a lot.

Mindisgone
May 18, 2011

Yeah, well you know...
That is what I was afraid of. I thought there was an SA comic B/T/S thread somewhere but I cannot find it in SA mart or BSS.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Mindisgone posted:

That is what I was afraid of. I thought there was an SA comic B/T/S thread somewhere but I cannot find it in SA mart or BSS.

Here's what MCS is selling their copies for on their website--I imagine the prices are close, if maybe a bit higher, than what you're going to currently find elsewhere, unless you can personally haggle with someone.

Mindisgone
May 18, 2011

Yeah, well you know...
I heeded your advice about ebay anyway and found an 8.0 CGC copy for a good price (nobody here outbid me please!!!).

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Was 'Hawkeye vs. Deadpool' a limited run? I picked up the trade (haven't finished it yet) and noticed there's no number on the spine.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Was 'Hawkeye vs. Deadpool' a limited run? I picked up the trade (haven't finished it yet) and noticed there's no number on the spine.
It was a 4-issue miniseries, yes.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Thanks. And drat.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

redbackground posted:

It was a 4-issue miniseries, yes.

5 Issue! Don't forget about #0

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Senor Candle posted:

5 Issue! Don't forget about #0
0 + 4 = 4, checkmate.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Deadpool's Secret Secret Wars was decent, and I liked how it tried pretty hard to match the original Mike Zeck art, and kept a lot of the original Shooter dialogue (except for DP's snarks in between.) DP pretty much says what we're all thinking about Reed, although maybe it's too soon for Susie jokes?

However, I can't help but feel that to someone who never read Secret Wars or DP it's a mass of confusing one-liners..

The backup story with the Contest of Champions spoof was pretty cool as well, I wonder if the Pink Sphinx's five year plan ever got off the ground..

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
So what's the current track for Deadpool? A couple minis and then a new ongoing? It''ll suck if they actually wait until the movie comes out to start the ongoing.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I'd bet on a new on-going after Secret Wars, yeah. They seem to be going for another re-launch with "All-New All-Different MARVEL" like they did with Marvel NOW! and All-New Marvel NOW!, so expect a new Deadpool #1 along with other stuff at that time.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
Duggan has also said Mrs. Deadpool is continuing after Secret Wars

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Binary Badger posted:

Deadpool's Secret Secret Wars was decent, and I liked how it tried pretty hard to match the original Mike Zeck art, and kept a lot of the original Shooter dialogue (except for DP's snarks in between.) DP pretty much says what we're all thinking about Reed, although maybe it's too soon for Susie jokes?

However, I can't help but feel that to someone who never read Secret Wars or DP it's a mass of confusing one-liners..

The backup story with the Contest of Champions spoof was pretty cool as well, I wonder if the Pink Sphinx's five year plan ever got off the ground..

I liked the very beginning, but thought it quickly descended into the realm of "trying too hard to be funny" after the fighting started. I didn't know the thing about reusing original SW dialogue though, that's neat.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I'm currently writing about Deadpool's appearances in other media and that's led to me looking into Avengers Disk Wars. I knew very little about the series other than it was some ridiculous plot about the Avengers only existing for five minutes at a time as kids wield them like Pokemon. I watched the two Deadpool episodes (ep 27 and 30) and man...

That show loving rules.

Not only is it fun as hell despite the silly premise, but it has easily the best depiction of Deadpool outside of the comics. Throughout the two episodes, he's the perfect balance of 4th wall-breaking lunatic, badass, morally questionable rogue and self-hating scumbag. The first episode is mostly jokes and little action, but the second one has him and Cap teaming up to fight Baron Zemo. I highly recommend it. It's completely on-point.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
The second Posehn/Duggan Deadpool OSHC finally loving came out today. Also Mrs. Deadpool is good.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I tried to read Deadpool a while back and I got all kinds of confused. It was weird.

First there was a time travelling banker(?) who was pretending to be a homeless man. Also a blind woman whom Deadpool kidnapped and now lives with. NOBODY CAN EVER MEET HER THOUGH because Deadpool will go crazy with jealousy or I don't even know what.

Also, hey! Deadpool isn't ACTUALLY Wade Wilson, but some other guy? And a bigass magical mercenary who Deadpool doesn't like is really Wade Wilson? Where were they going with this?

I did like the storyline with the alien being going from world to world spreading peace and joy and tranquility and it ended up being that it was just eliminating free will, and Deadpool ended up being the horrible evil destroyer because he was actually fighting against the thought-controlling monster. Also captain america was somehow involved.

Agent X was my favorite 'deadpool' series because of the whole training with Taskmaster. "Bled on his wolverine shirt, now he can't wear it anymore! Hah!"

I haven't read any of the Cable/Deadpool bits or anything after that except an out-of-context panel or three. I kind of want to but I always lose my enthusiasm when I think about the blind chick weird jealousy thing and the magical mercenary identity issue thing.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

khy posted:

I tried to read Deadpool a while back and I got all kinds of confused. It was weird.

First there was a time travelling banker(?) who was pretending to be a homeless man. Also a blind woman whom Deadpool kidnapped and now lives with. NOBODY CAN EVER MEET HER THOUGH because Deadpool will go crazy with jealousy or I don't even know what.

Also, hey! Deadpool isn't ACTUALLY Wade Wilson, but some other guy? And a bigass magical mercenary who Deadpool doesn't like is really Wade Wilson? Where were they going with this?

I did like the storyline with the alien being going from world to world spreading peace and joy and tranquility and it ended up being that it was just eliminating free will, and Deadpool ended up being the horrible evil destroyer because he was actually fighting against the thought-controlling monster. Also captain america was somehow involved.

Agent X was my favorite 'deadpool' series because of the whole training with Taskmaster. "Bled on his wolverine shirt, now he can't wear it anymore! Hah!"

I haven't read any of the Cable/Deadpool bits or anything after that except an out-of-context panel or three. I kind of want to but I always lose my enthusiasm when I think about the blind chick weird jealousy thing and the magical mercenary identity issue thing.

Read the series that just ended. All characters have bad runs, and they way to enjoy the comic is to find one that is good.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

Read the series that just ended. All characters have bad runs, and they way to enjoy the comic is to find one that is good.

Specifically Deadpool by Posehn and Duggan. It's really good.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Senor Candle posted:

Specifically Deadpool by Posehn and Duggan. It's really good.

Also the miniseries Hawkeye vs Deadpool

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

Joe Kelly's run is not a bad run. :11tea:

I can certainly understand enjoying the Poeshn/Duggan run more, though.

Cable/Deadpool is a good time.

Everyone should read Hawkeye/Deadpool. And Suicide Kings.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

redbackground posted:

Joe Kelly's run is not a bad run. :11tea:

I can certainly understand enjoying the Poeshn/Duggan run more, though.

Cable/Deadpool is a good time.

Everyone should read Hawkeye/Deadpool. And Suicide Kings.

I never said he did. However I did mention a run that should be avoided.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

I never said he did.
I never said you said he did. :)

That was more of a general aside, as the modern incarnation of Deadpool is much easier to get into than the really terrible person that Deadpool is, who is frankly difficult to side with, for a lot of Kelly's run.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jun 10, 2015

khy
Aug 15, 2005

So the best way to proceed from here is to pretend that T-Ray never existed at all?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

khy posted:

So the best way to proceed from here is to pretend that T-Ray never existed at all?

Who?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

khy posted:

The whole thing with T-Ray and the "Real Wade Wilson" is actually addressed a few times. Nicieza handled it best in Cable/Deadpool. Which I think was the best run the character ever had. The Duggan run may well be better, and honestly it probably is, but I need to read through it one more time too. I've read all of Cable/Deadpool a few times through.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

redbackground posted:

That was more of a general aside, as the modern incarnation of Deadpool is much easier to get into than the really terrible person that Deadpool is, who is frankly difficult to side with, for a lot of Kelly's run.

Being terrible was what made him a compelling character, though. Without that stuff he's just a wacky guy people poo poo on.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Joe Kelly and Ed McGuinness are coming back to Deadpool for a limited time and they're bringing Spider-Man with them.

http://comicsalliance.com/kelly-mcguinness-spider-man-deadpool/

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Oooh, and it's Light-Up Spidey with Kung-Fu Grip!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Here's a fun interview with Duggan on the new volume of Deadpool. Says they have a road map for the series where it'll end up being about as long as the last one. So it looks like Duggan is going to be writing Deadpool for a while. Which is a prayer answered for me. Also he touches on Deadpool and Steve Rogers being buddies now and how it connects to Uncanny Avengers which he is also writing.

quote:

Yeah, Steve is definitely a part of Deadpool's life. That began to take shape in "The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly." I think their friendship began there in the same way that Logan and Rogers's friendship began back in the [Mark] Gruenwald-scripted Cap Annual. Steve promised that Wolverine would never be an Avenger; words that would later mocked openly in the Marvel Universe. [Laughs]

We continued telling the story of Steve and Wade in the "Death of Wolverine" one-shot. Now, after the eight month jump you'll see Wade and Steve in "Uncanny Avengers" [which Duggan is also writing], and you'll see Steve in the pages of "Deadpool" from time to time as a supporting character.

Deadpool has really over-extended himself, so Steve is trying to help because Wade is trying to help Steve. Steve's Avengers are partly funded by the money that Deadpool earns in merchandising and licensing.

Anyone interested in Deadpool and Old Man Rogers should not miss "Avengers" this October. Each new Avengers title has an original story in the book to set the table for the Earth's Mightiest Heroes. The Uncanny Avengers story in that issue is another chapter in the friendship of Wade Wilson and Steve Rogers.

Captain America is my favorite superhero period, so having him be a big part of Deadpool's story is great for me. I love their awkward friendship.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/interview-duggans-deadpool-deals-with-the-pressures-of-high-profile-heroics

X-O fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Aug 4, 2015

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Any idea when that will hit shelves? Pretty much all my pulls died with the rest of earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I hope Duggan ends up with the longest run on Deadpool. Who has that title now?

• Locked thread