Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Please make it so you can't accidentally consume the Respec potion during combat.

Please.

I actually laughed out loud at this

ouch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Exmond posted:

Tell me more about how you won the first and second round of gwent but haven't won a single game.

I meant sometimes I win the first round, sometimes I lose the first round and win the second, but never both, dumbass

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Gilganixon posted:

I actually laughed out loud at this

ouch

"Wait, how do I that thing again?"
"How do you do what, you mutant freak!?"
"... everything."

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

am i the only person in this thread who hasn't touched gwent at all? beyond a single match i quit halfway through. my mild antipathy towards gwent is such that at least a few NPCs have died over it.

probably still better than loving dice poker though

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

mikeraskol posted:

I kinda wish they could have fit Borch and Francesca Findabair into this game somehow, they seem like cool characters.

It's weird that they assembled all those mages and then...did nothing with them. Like I guess they were around...just in case? I enjoyed the side quest with philippa a lot but other than that, fringilla vigo and margaritaville and co did nothing.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Please make it so you can't accidentally consume the Respec potion during combat.

Please.

How does this even happen

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Manatee Cannon posted:

*mashes R to eat a ton of meat* *runs out of meat* *Respec potion is next thing in inventory* *suddenly has zero skills while fighting level 35 cyclops at level 20*

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Manatee Cannon posted:

The respec potion counts as a consumable so when your current consumable runs out and it's next on the list it'll just slot it into the appropriate quick select button because who the gently caress knows

edit: beaten

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

It's weird that they assembled all those mages and then...did nothing with them. Like I guess they were around...just in case? I enjoyed the side quest with philippa a lot but other than that, fringilla vigo and margaritaville and co did nothing.

I guess their role was to add to Yen's bubble spell that traps the Wild Hunt. She got exhausted and couldn't maintain it on her own at Kaer Morhen so five of them casting the spell together would make it stronger or something. They probably could have given Fringilla and Rita more to do though, Rita never even cleans up the dirt on her after being freed from jail.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

*mashes R to eat a ton of meat* *runs out of meat* *Respec potion is next thing in inventory* *suddenly has zero skills while fighting level 35 cyclops at level 20*

It's your own drat fault for still eating meat at level 20.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I guess their role was to add to Yen's bubble spell that traps the Wild Hunt. She got exhausted and couldn't maintain it on her own at Kaer Morhen so five of them casting the spell together would make it stronger or something. They probably could have given Fringilla and Rita more to do though, Rita never even cleans up the dirt on her after being freed from jail.

That last bit bugs me, and it's not really as though it'd be the hardest thing for them to do to change that up either.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

GrossMurpel posted:

It's your own drat fault for still eating meat at level 20.

My Geralt has gone straight up boozetafarian after unlocking alt-Quen.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

looks like alternate versions of avellach and the scorch dragon

I wouldn't bother with scorch, or maybe put in 1. Scorch dragon is better and you'll get it most games with all those spies, and it's pretty rare that you're really gonna make great use of multiple scorches. (It's nice when it happens but not too common.) I'd take out the frosts either way though - I ended up dropping weather cards entirely.

Scorch owns. It can make for some absolutely huge plays, but even a mediocre scorch that just blows up one unit instead of nuking a pair of horned Catapults or whatever is still trading even in terms of cards. Weather tends to be all-or-nothing in terms of usefulness, but scorch will accomplish something reliably enough that it's safe to run three of them in a deck on top of the Dragon (they may both be removal spells, but they have different targeting rules that make them better in different situations and you probably aren't going to run into a problem with blowing up too many enemy units).

RE: other chat: I actually don't bother running Tight Bonds units with Nilfgaard. The Cavalry are total garbage, Imperia Brigade aren't really very good (you need three of them to be better than a random Strength 6, which isn't worth the effort for how easily they can just end up being a poo poo card), and Emissaries would good but you only get two of them, so they're likely to just end up being a Strength 5 normal. Emissaries and Imperia Brigade would make good filler candidates if you didn't have a full set of cards, but in that case you probably still have a stronger deck for Northern Realms.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Please.

*runs with 2 decoctions and some other potions*
*hits potion of clearance*
*turns into a pesta from toxic overload*

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Voyager I posted:

Scorch owns. It can make for some absolutely huge plays, but even a mediocre scorch that just blows up one unit instead of nuking a pair of horned Catapults or whatever is still trading even in terms of cards. Weather tends to be all-or-nothing in terms of usefulness, but scorch will accomplish something reliably enough that it's safe to run three of them in a deck on top of the Dragon (they may both be removal spells, but they have different targeting rules that make them better in different situations and you probably aren't going to run into a problem with blowing up too many enemy units).

RE: other chat: I actually don't bother running Tight Bonds units with Nilfgaard. The Cavalry are total garbage, Imperia Brigade aren't really very good (you need three of them to be better than a random Strength 6, which isn't worth the effort for how easily they can just end up being a poo poo card), and Emissaries would good but you only get two of them, so they're likely to just end up being a Strength 5 normal. Emissaries and Imperia Brigade would make good filler candidates if you didn't have a full set of cards, but in that case you probably still have a stronger deck for Northern Realms.

That's what spies are for, with high level opponents you'll draw so many cards that you should have no problem getting two emissaries and/or three imperas.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
Holy poo poo. This new quest Fool's Gold is the best thing in the world.

When I stumbled upon it in Lurtch I thought it was just some random small world quest where you beat up some thugs, have a line of dialog, and move on. Didn't even realize it was the DLC I just installed, and goddamn it is amazing. Also cause I found it exploring the first thing I saw was a house with pigs in it, but figured it was a bug or some joke. Didn't realize what was happening until I started the questline

EvilTobaccoExec fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jun 10, 2015

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
i will say when you're going up against several enemies, the targeting system in this game can drive me to fits and make me stop playing sometimes.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

GrossMurpel posted:

That's what spies are for, with high level opponents you'll draw so many cards that you should have no problem getting two emissaries and/or three imperas.

Running at 32 cards (22 creatures, 10 specials), I would expect to draw around half my deck in a typical game; more against other Nilf/North decks that will be giving me their own spies to decoy and less against Monsters and Elves. That's a 1/4 chance of getting both Emissaries and probably two Imperas. For a deck with everything available, the highs of getting some S10s or a gaggle of S9s that you must play together on the same turn and probably can't be replayed via Medics isn't enough to offset the effort involved in making it happen and the potential low of just having some S3 shitter in your dream deck on a bad draw.

Nilfgaard is good because you can use your infinite medics and card advantage to play the same Strength 10 Black Archers / Heavy Ballista over and over and over again, forcing a response out of your enemy every time without committing any resources yourself. Going for a Tight Bonds build is trying to get into a big-numbers contest with a deck that is soundly inferior at big numbers than something like Northern Realms.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

CJacobs posted:

The respec potion counts as a consumable so when your current consumable runs out and it's next on the list it'll just slot it into the appropriate quick select button because who the gently caress knows

edit: beaten

Not only that, but I checked that it seems to have more priority than other consumables / potions. Who knows why.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Generic Monk posted:

am i the only person in this thread who hasn't touched gwent at all? beyond a single match i quit halfway through. my mild antipathy towards gwent is such that at least a few NPCs have died over it.

probably still better than loving dice poker though

I have no interest in playing it. I hope that won't gimp me too hard later. I'm playing on easy because the combat isn't very good, anyway.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
Lurtch in Velen (small town in between two other small towns, Lindenvale and Toderas). Everyone play the new dlc Fool's Gold. I must have taken a dozen screenshots.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Holy poo poo. This new quest Fool's Gold is the best thing in the world.

When I stumbled upon it in Lurtch I thought it was just some random small world quest where you beat up some thugs, have a line of dialog, and move on. Didn't even realize it was the DLC I just installed, and goddamn it is amazing. Also cause I found it exploring the first thing I saw was a house with pigs in it, but figured it was a bug or some joke. Didn't realize what was happening until I started the questline

What is the recommended level?

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
32 cards almost seems too high to me. I tried to stay around 28ish.

Randomzx
Jul 26, 2007

Perestroika posted:

Tsk, you'd imagine that a sorceress like her would know about White Honey. One swig of that and Geralt'll be good as new.

It is not White Honey that clears alcohol, It's Wives' Tears that does that (doesn't seems to be in this game, it was far more useful in TW1 for the drinking games and specialized drunken build)

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Voyager I posted:

Running at 32 cards (22 creatures, 10 specials), I would expect to draw around half my deck in a typical game; more against other Nilf/North decks that will be giving me their own spies to decoy and less against Monsters and Elves. That's a 1/4 chance of getting both Emissaries and probably two Imperas. For a deck with everything available, the highs of getting some S10s or a gaggle of S9s that you must play together on the same turn and probably can't be replayed via Medics isn't enough to offset the effort involved in making it happen and the potential low of just having some S3 shitter in your dream deck on a bad draw.

Nilfgaard is good because you can use your infinite medics and card advantage to play the same Strength 10 Black Archers / Heavy Ballista over and over and over again, forcing a response out of your enemy every time without committing any resources yourself. Going for a Tight Bonds build is trying to get into a big-numbers contest with a deck that is soundly inferior at big numbers than something like Northern Realms.

Because you can't put those 10 strength cards and your tight bonds into the same deck, right? That's just physically impossible.
North will always beat Nilfgaard in sheer non-hero strength, so what?

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
After installing Fools Gold and Gwent DLC for this weeks DLC update, I had to reinstall the Elite Crossbow dlc before I could load my latest save.

Also, the dlc installers are number 1 through to 8 but the folders in the DLC folder are numbered 1,2,3,4,5, 7, 8, 13.

I can see this loving up somehow.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

ZearothK posted:

What is the recommended level?

Level 10, although all the enemies seemed to be way lower than that. Not all that combat intensive.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

GrossMurpel posted:

Because you can't put those 10 strength cards and your tight bonds into the same deck, right? That's just physically impossible.
North will always beat Nilfgaard in sheer non-hero strength, so what?

Because I would rather just drop a S10 hero or a S6 normal that will always be good than bank on drawing both my Emissaries or enough Impera to be worthwhile while also having a good round to play them in.

Nilfgaard is good because they are the undisputed masters of tempo control and noncommittal play. Tying yourself down to Bonding stacks takes away from that and the ones Nilfgaard gets aren't good enough to justify it unless you just don't have better cards yet.

Tight Bonds units are also just shaky in general against late game decks because they're very good at getting blown up en mass by Scorch.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jun 10, 2015

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Voyager I posted:

Because I would rather just drop a S10 hero or a S6 normal that will always be good than bank on drawing both my Emissaries or enough Impera to be worthwhile while also having a good round to play them in.

Nilfgaard is good because they are the undisputed masters of tempo control and noncommittal play. Tying yourself down to Bonding stacks takes away from that and the ones Nilfgaard gets aren't good enough to justify it unless you just don't have better cards yet.

Tight Bonds units are also just shaky in general against late game decks because they're very good at getting blown up en mass by Scorch.

But then you have a bunch of hero cards which you can't revive.
E: That is, I had a deck with all the heroes once and I ran into the situation where I had nothing to revive several times.

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jun 10, 2015

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Yeah, nilf decks are pretty much all or nothing with your cards: get the strong normals and supplement with heroes, or don't play. Northern has a lot more flexibility; the strength 4 and 5 tight bonds cards are still good enough for general use and just get obscene when their special is engaged.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Oh Fools Gold is the new quest? I just was in that area anyway cleaning up question marks.
That sure was.. something.
It's level 7 or 8, very early in Velen.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Sure, but that's okay because Strength 10 Heroes make great filler cards. Throw it on the table and bam, that's 10 points that can't get scorched or weathered or anything so my opponent has to deal with it the hard way, and I'm still free to commit as much or as little as I feel like behind it depending on how my opponent reacts (probably including some S10 normals). Bonds groups are less flexible in that they're potentially good, but only if you commit to playing them together, which means they can't be used effectively as chaff like a hero can and in the case of Nilfgaard they aren't that reliable at being better than Heroes and S6 Normals even when you are investing in them.

Of course, this does assume that you're running a full collection where an S10 Hero is a throwaway card.

As I've said before, part of this is specific to Nilfgaard since their best leader isn't a horn, their unit power is generally worse than Monsters and Northern Realms, and they don't have morale or muster units to buff up lots of normal creatures. Instead, I play a game where I need to get seriously lucky to break 100 on my biggest round, but I can hit 50 all three rounds while having lots of removal and deciding which rounds are the important ones.

GrossMurpel posted:

But then you have a bunch of hero cards which you can't revive.
E: That is, I had a deck with all the heroes once and I ran into the situation where I had nothing to revive several times.

Sometimes I end up with an extra Medic, but non-Nilfgaard decks just don't have the stamina to deal with the same S10 normals getting played literally all three rounds even after getting scorched. If I found it to be a real problem, I would probably deal with it by dropping an S10 hero (or maybe even one of the S0 Medics) for an S6 Normal instead of going for bonds.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jun 10, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Turin Turambar posted:

Not only that, but I checked that it seems to have more priority than other consumables / potions. Who knows why.

Maybe the devs assumed that you'd only ever actually have one in the 5 seconds between buying and using it. I guess they possibly didn't count on people actually carrying them around.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Where are the new (today or whatever, fools gold and gwent set) DLC quests? No markers on the map, got a message about that there would be DLC information in the tutorials, but there was nothing there. Sorry if it's been answered recently, avoiding spoilers again now.

genpj
Aug 11, 2012

drat, I just watch some gameplay with English voices... Dandelion in loading screens sounds like depressed old dude :confused:. I guess that he is supposed to read this as he is old and tries to remember "good old times"...
Still its strange, as in Polish version they used the same actor for loading screens and in-game voices.

Also Geralt is apparently discount Batman.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah the English voice acting really ran with the whole Dandelion-is-telling-the-story thing, to the point where him embellishing some of the details of Geralt's escapades is placed upon the fact that he's an old dude now and probably doesn't remember everything exactly (or he's just still an exaggerating storyteller at heart). I didn't know it wasn't that way in other languages.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Dongattack posted:

Where are the new (today or whatever, fools gold and gwent set) DLC quests? No markers on the map, got a message about that there would be DLC information in the tutorials, but there was nothing there. Sorry if it's been answered recently, avoiding spoilers again now.

Miners is in Skellige, Fools Gold is in Lurtch in Velen.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

I actually liked Dice Poker. :shobon:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So I saved some merchant and he's like, come see me near the bridge across the pontar, where the gently caress is that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So I saved some merchant and he's like, come see me near the bridge across the pontar, where the gently caress is that?

It's a bridge crossing south west of Novigrad. The Pontar is the river separating Velen and Novigrad.