Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

krushgroove posted:

Check ebay, I usually order from a UK supplier called magnetsmagnetsmagnets but recently tried a seller in Hong Kong with good success.

I've also been googling, and found https://www.supermagnete.com which seems perfectly reasonable too. 140 pieces of a 3mm x 1mm magnet for 24e. Gotta compare how it matches with Ebay sellers.

Attestant fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jun 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I'm trying to plan out how to paint the power weapons from my DV set without an airbrush. The actual technique I've found on various youtube videos/etc. seems fine, but I'm wondering if there are some good examples of power weapons that aren't blue or green? Like, I'm thinking about doing a red power sword for my Deathwing Terminators, since I think the cream would go really well with red.

For my Chaos dudes I'm thinking of a purple power sword (or potentially even for my company commander, since it purple and dark green can go well together if done right), but I can't seem to find any photos of examples of what this actually looks like. Anyone got anything?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

An Angry Bug posted:

Don't forget to post the pics of it touched up when you get a sec.

Thanks for the reminder. :)

Today's mini-conversion, Herald of Nurgle on a "palanquin."

Gotta get the most out of each kit. Probably going to use the spare Maggoth parts for when I finally get a Soulgrinder.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

PierreTheMime posted:

Thanks for the reminder. :)

Gotta get the most out of each kit. Probably going to use the spare Maggoth parts for when I finally get a Soulgrinder.

He looks so happy on his nurgle mouth maggot steed.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jun 10, 2015

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

PierreTheMime posted:

The crotch saddle spike is fortunately/unfortunately positioned.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I've varnished, flocked and I think finalised the first of my painted Ogre units, since my varnish arrived late last week and I didn't want to flock first and goop up the grass

Mantica Ogres are from the Mammoth Steppe, separating the rest of Mantica from the frozen wastelands in the north. I pictured it as being a little like the Eurasian Steppe crossed with the Dothraki Sea, so it's normal grass but grows tall and as far as the eye can see barring odd islands of trees, which is why the Ogres are so big, and why they dominate the steppe - it's too tall for humans and elves to fight in on foot, but just short enough for Ogres to fight on foot, while still being tall enough for them to hide in for hunt and ambush.

The flock is Woodland Scenics Light Green Field Grass

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Drone posted:

I'm thinking about doing a red power sword for my Deathwing Terminators

I did a exactly that for my DV deathwing terminators.

Bad picture, but you get the idea

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Oh oh. That angle just set you up

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Literally shaking right now from undrilled barrels

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Holy poo poo kill yourself right now

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Indolent Bastard posted:

It looks ghetto as gently caress, but it works.

Or make one that uses a drill like Lumbering Troll did. (I can't find the post).

I was looking for that drill bit adaptor too, as it seems to be a good way to mix paint in dropper jars:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0aaFxDc-IY

I ended up making this, which will cost me about €15 to print, but compared to the time I'll have to spend to build one from hardware store goods I think it's OK:

The idea is to put a rubber band around the grabby parts on the top. I'll order it this week and let you know if I end up with paint all over the living room.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

My barrels are beautiful just the way they are. If you can't accept that then gently caress all y'all

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
I've just got a base through I ordered ages ago so did a quick knock up of what the final gift should look like:

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Sorry for the bad lighting, it's raining.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
I bought a pot of black wash for my miniatures, but I've been too nervous to use it yet. What if I ruin my carefully-painted figures by putting a wash all over them?? I don't want them looking weird in the end, or something

PierreTheMime posted:

Also, I would like to say that this looks totally rad, I can only hope I could paint anything that nicely

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
Anyone have any experience with Company B decals? I ordered some rank insignia decals for the German and British WW2 platoons I'm painting up, and they arrived in the mail today, and they are tiiiny. :stare: The page says they're for 28mm, but I kept wondering if I'd gotten some 20mm ones by mistake. Just curious if anyone else has used their decals before.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Hixson posted:

I did a exactly that for my DV deathwing terminators.

Bad picture, but you get the idea

Cut those witch nails, you nerd

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
I say we start pulling those nails out until those barrels get drilled.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
He can use those nails to drill out the barrel, win win

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

HardCoil posted:

I was looking for that drill bit adaptor too, as it seems to be a good way to mix paint in dropper jars:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0aaFxDc-IY

I ended up making this, which will cost me about €15 to print, but compared to the time I'll have to spend to build one from hardware store goods I think it's OK:

The idea is to put a rubber band around the grabby parts on the top. I'll order it this week and let you know if I end up with paint all over the living room.

Lumbering Trolls solution used an old film canister, a bolt and some tissue for padding.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I'm thinking about taking an old palm sander, mounting it upside down, and attaching a little paint bottle bracket to the plate. That'd probably mix the poo poo out of anything even vaguely paint-like in pretty short order. And those things are a dime a dozen on craigslist.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

PierreTheMime posted:

Yes, we can see that. Bring your model in, dry it off, and take another picture. :colbert:

It looks awesome and appropriately disgusting

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Indolent Bastard posted:

Lumbering Trolls solution used an old film canister, a bolt and some tissue for padding.

Close, is was the neck of a hose size adapter from a vacuum, a rubber foot from something to plug the bottom, a thin piece of foam I glued in to create tension, and an blade adapter for a screwdriver. Put the foot in the small end of the neck, glued in place, put a bolt though the hole that went into the blade chuck. That way I could use a quick release for my drill.

I can take pictures of it tomorrow if you like.

LumberingTroll fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jun 10, 2015

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

So I bought my first Reaper Bones model: http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/kaladrax/latest/77192

Wanted a cool model for my desk at work. I haven't painted anything so large, anything Reaper Bones, and frankly modelling has never been my strong point. I know to wash it, I know I should pin it, get a little green stuff, but any other advice?

Also, I scrapped all of my modelling supplies when I sold my Warmachine stuff a while ago so I need to buy new brushes and paints. I always just bought cheap poo poo from whatever hobby store but this time I'd like to get some decent brushes, paints, glue etc. Any brand suggestions?

e; Doh, missed some of the brand recommendations in the OP.
doublt edit; oh god this is so much bigger than I thought what did I get myself into

Nexus 6 for scale :staredog:

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jun 11, 2015

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

LumberingTroll posted:

I can take pictures of it tomorrow if you like.

I wouldn't say no.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Yeah you're a crazy man.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Sab669 posted:

So I bought my first Reaper Bones model: http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/kaladrax/latest/77192

Wanted a cool model for my desk at work. I haven't painted anything so large, anything Reaper Bones, and frankly modelling has never been my strong point. I know to wash it, I know I should pin it, get a little green stuff, but any other advice?

Also, I scrapped all of my modelling supplies when I sold my Warmachine stuff a while ago so I need to buy new brushes and paints. I always just bought cheap poo poo from whatever hobby store but this time I'd like to get some decent brushes, paints, glue etc. Any brand suggestions?

e; Doh, missed some of the brand recommendations in the OP.
doublt edit; oh god this is so much bigger than I thought what did I get myself into

Nexus 6 for scale :staredog:

Keep in mind that bonesium might act differently from what you're used to paint before. Check the reaper thread for some tips etc.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Attestant posted:

Keep in mind that bonesium might act differently from what you're used to paint before. Check the reaper thread for some tips etc.

The biggest thing I found with it is that you need a brand new xacto/knife blade to trim the mold lines well at all. I have a second handle/blade just for that so I can keep a new tip on it. Once it dulls too much for bones I just stick it in another box and use it for my general purpose knife.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

PirateDentist posted:

The biggest thing I found with it is that you need a brand new xacto/knife blade to trim the mold lines well at all. I have a second handle/blade just for that so I can keep a new tip on it. Once it dulls too much for bones I just stick it in another box and use it for my general purpose knife.

They also have issues with spray primers. Some don't stick properly. Quoting the Reaper thread OP:

thespaceinvader posted:

Recommended aerosol spray primers and paints:

Army Painter white and coloured primers
Krylon Dual Paint + Primer
Duplicolor Sandable – slight tackiness possible
Rust-oleam Painter’s Touch Ultra Cover 2x – slight tackiness possible

Problem aerosol spray primers and paints:

Krylon white primer – doesn’t bond, stays tacky
Testors Enamel flat black – stays tacky
Walmart Valu flat white – stays tacky
Krylon Primer red-brown – stays tacky
Citadel spray
Plasti-kote super primer gray - stays tacky, rubs off easily.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I have a question for you guys...about models like this:

What do you guys think about this? Is this the new hotness for players & collectors? It seems to be, from what I see.

I realize I'm asking people who paint a lot of models but this trend of glow effects on every part of the model is weird/annoying to me. It looks like this started out as a way to inject variations of color, spot color, etc., but it's grown into something that looks like a failed 3D HDR Flickr album.

I see people posting this sort of thing on Facebook and getting loads of Likes (maybe not this example so much)... I'm also trying to sell model painting service via Facebook & ebay but my examples just don't stand out next to this, because it's more realistic and gritty (I'm aware I need more & better examples and I've got some stuff that will be finished in the next few weeks, so far I've been showing off only the blue Knights I painted last year and my recently painted superheavies).

I guess my question is what do you guys think of this, and how do I make my own stuff stand out when it's posted alongside this kind of thing? I try to emphasize my building, magnetizing and straightforwardness and this tack is working, but slowly, I know I need to build up my 'portfolio' and repeat business but to grab the attention of new people it's frustrating that this sort of thing seems to garner so much attention.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I've posted my thoughts about it in the 40k thread but really, I think of it as the airbrushing equivalent of basecoat+drybrush.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Thanks guys, I was unaware of a dedicated thread for the Reaper stuff. I just saw the basic supply stuff in the OP.

Ordered some army painter White, green stuff, Zap-A-Gap and some brushes from the war store, gonna grab a bunch of P3 paints in store I think.

Again, I've never been super into the modeling side when I still played wargames, but I really didn't notice much that'd require flush cutters or a knife : shrug:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

krushgroove posted:

I have a question for you guys...about models like this:

What do you guys think about this? Is this the new hotness for players & collectors? It seems to be, from what I see.

I realize I'm asking people who paint a lot of models but this trend of glow effects on every part of the model is weird/annoying to me. It looks like this started out as a way to inject variations of color, spot color, etc., but it's grown into something that looks like a failed 3D HDR Flickr album.

I see people posting this sort of thing on Facebook and getting loads of Likes (maybe not this example so much)... I'm also trying to sell model painting service via Facebook & ebay but my examples just don't stand out next to this, because it's more realistic and gritty (I'm aware I need more & better examples and I've got some stuff that will be finished in the next few weeks, so far I've been showing off only the blue Knights I painted last year and my recently painted superheavies).

I guess my question is what do you guys think of this, and how do I make my own stuff stand out when it's posted alongside this kind of thing? I try to emphasize my building, magnetizing and straightforwardness and this tack is working, but slowly, I know I need to build up my 'portfolio' and repeat business but to grab the attention of new people it's frustrating that this sort of thing seems to garner so much attention.

It looks like hot dog-poo poo.

From a distance it's a blurred mess, akin to low-res textures in a video game; up close, you'd see all these details and parts that weren't painted, of which there seems to be plenty. It's a quick and simple airbrush job, which would be acceptable if you're getting something done the day before a tournament or want to experiment, but for 'pro' painting it's sloppy and lacks any proper painting skill. The guy didn't even cover up the mold line on the back thrusters, and it's plainly obvious right from that first picture.

All it really serves is to wow people who think airbrushing is some mythical art that takes years of skill. The only part of that whole model I like is the base, and even then the snow looks like poo poo.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Yeah those dumb airbrush jobs take maybe 10 minutes at most. I think people who aren't into the hobby get fooled by the fades when it's p much like spraying a random pattern on a t-shirt, or tie-dye, and thinking it's hard work. Like, it looks like that dude just sprayed some figure 8s on the figure and called it a day.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Attestant posted:

They also have issues with spray primers. Some don't stick properly. Quoting the Reaper thread OP:

Recommended aerosol spray primers and paints:

Army Painter white and coloured primers
Krylon Dual Paint + Primer
Duplicolor Sandable – slight tackiness possible
Rust-oleam Painter’s Touch Ultra Cover 2x – slight tackiness possible

Problem aerosol spray primers and paints:

Krylon white primer – doesn’t bond, stays tacky
Testors Enamel flat black – stays tacky
Walmart Valu flat white – stays tacky
Krylon Primer red-brown – stays tacky
Citadel spray
Plasti-kote super primer gray - stays tacky, rubs off easily.

Regarding the Rustoleum Ultra cover 2x- use a toothbrush on it if it occurs after it dries to get rid of some of the tackiness. It'll then be nice and smooth.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
So I've had two consecutive cans of Armory gray primer sort of go wonky on me. It gets to where the primer won't spray continually and will just spit out a little primer then just fire off air periodically. What am I doing wrong? I shake the hell out of the can and it still does this.

Unzip and Attack fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jun 11, 2015

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Unzip and Attack posted:

So I've had two consecutive cans of Armory gray primer sort of go wonky on me. It gets to where the primer won't spray continually and will just spit out a little primer then just fire off air periodically. What am I doing wrong? I shake the hell out of the can and it still does this.

Armory is just really lovely primer. It used to be what I bought from my hobby shop and aside from one can of white, they were all crap. Use Krylon.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

SRM posted:

Armory is just really lovely primer. It used to be what I bought from my hobby shop and aside from one can of white, they were all crap. Use Krylon.

Seconded. I started out using Armory because it was cheap; turns out you get what you pay for. My results were inconsistent at best, except when I was getting near the end of a can, at which point the fuzziness became constant no matter how long I shook it.

Then I got an airbrush and discovered the joy of Vallejo Surface Primer and zenithal priming and I've never looked back. VSP is brushable as well, which is a nice bonus (I've done 2-tone priming via brushing on occasion). If you don't want to go the airbrush route, I hear good things about Army Painter and Krylon rattlecan sprays; many of the other posters can give you better data on those.

magnetbox
Jun 7, 2002

I Heart Thomas and Guy-Man

Looking for some advice on painting the "sac" and tube in the model's left hand. I started with bugman's glow and shaded with carrobourg and reikland fleshshade.

Not sure where to go from there.

(not my model)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Sorry it took a while. here are the images.

another and probably easier / cheaper way would be to use a rubber chair leg tip. drill a hole in the center. Take a bolt with a washer on the inside insert into the leg tip, put a washer on the other side, then a nut to hold it in place.

Something like this would work

LumberingTroll fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jun 12, 2015