Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

pointsofdata posted:

When house prices are high of course new house prices are also high, it's not loving hard. The problem is not enough houses, not that the target market for expensive houses is rich people.

Why aren't developers building more, cheaper houses in areas with less expensive land, like in Aurora, CO? There is clearly a market for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Lyesh posted:

High housing prices have nothing to do with the cost of production and everything to do with the fact that land is about as far from a commodity as you can get. There are also the logistics of increasing density without first decreasing density for a few years (not to mention obtaining the contiguous land you need for larger buildings if you're going to go over four stories or so), the high overhead of moving compared to changing what car you drive, and a million other factors.

If the problem were the high cost of structures to live in, then mobile homes would have us covered.

According to pig slut lisa, the cost of building a house is like $100 a square foot. Obviously the scarcity of desirable property influences the total cost of a new home more in places like New York and the Bay Area, but the construction cost of a new home is not negligible. I quickly looked on the internet at the cost of land in my hometown, a medium-sized industrial city of ~70,000 in the Midwest which is dying and where property prices are really low, and the land cost per square foot is two orders of magnitude less than the construction cost of a new home.

I don't know how the costs of building a new house break down, and maybe there is room for improvement there since maybe there isn't much motivation to changing the ways how we build houses.

Obviously one thing that prevents mobile homes from being more popular and accepted is that there is kind of a stigma to living in mobile homes that doesn't really exist for other types of less expensive housing--see the term trailer trash.

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

silence_kit posted:

According to pig slut lisa, the cost of building a house is like $100 a square foot. Obviously the scarcity of desirable property influences the total cost of a new home more in places like New York and the Bay Area, but the construction cost of a new home is not negligible. I quickly looked on the internet at the cost of land in my hometown, a medium-sized industrial city of ~70,000 in the Midwest which is dying and where property prices are really low, and the land cost per square foot is two orders of magnitude less than the construction cost of a new home.

I don't know how the costs of building a new house break down, and maybe there is room for improvement there since maybe there isn't much motivation to changing the ways how we build houses.

Obviously one thing that prevents mobile homes from being more popular and accepted is that there is kind of a stigma to living in mobile homes that doesn't really exist for other types of less expensive housing--see the term trailer trash.

You don't NEED to build a house though, that's my entire point. If you want to get a brand-new, mass-produced mobile home or modular home (at like $25-$30/sqft) for cheap land you very much can. The housing in major metro areas is the problem that people are talking about in this thread and that has everything to do with land prices.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Radbot posted:

This would be an interesting and insightful post had I not been advocating for smaller homes from my very first post.

Again, according to poster pig slut lisa's post, the cost of building a new home doesn't perfectly scale with area. There are overhead costs, making the price per square foot go up when you build smaller houses. Like private jets, it is not clear to me that that new housing will ever be cheap.

edit: Lyesh is claiming that you could buy a mobile or other mass-produced home for 1/4 of the cost. Ok, I guess that is one solution. Radbot, why don't you just live in a new mobile home in the boonies somewhere?

Radbot posted:

And yes, I would be whining if it were nearly impossible for poorer Americans to get a car, something required for daily life in most of America.

And your whining about free market economics also would be totally misdirected and would betray a lack of understanding of what's going on in that hypothetical car market, too.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jun 10, 2015

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

silence_kit posted:

That's not really true - there's plenty of social stigma associated with living in housing projects or on a council estate in England. The stigma arises from the fact that very cheap housing is often disproportionately attractive to people with... social problems and disordered lifestyles, not from the nature of the housing itself.

Also, when you're talking about housing in major cities with strong economies, the cost of building the house is entirely secondary to the cost of the land it's sitting on.

OldHansMoleman
Jan 4, 2004
I Hate Myself
hey we rezoned this area for multi family mixed use development so our city will have affordable housing and walkable neighborhoods

wait wait you're not supposed to build luxury condos and a starbucks/smoothie chain whaaaaaaaat is going on

it's cool the high density we are allowing is in a smart growth corridor you don't need to put in parking

oh poo poo the nearest transit stop is 4 miles with a hill you weren't supposed to drive wttttttffff

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

LemonDrizzle posted:

That's not really true - there's plenty of social stigma associated with living in housing projects or on a council estate in England. The stigma arises from the fact that very cheap housing is often disproportionately attractive to people with... social problems and disordered lifestyles, not from the nature of the housing itself.

Yeah, I thought about that, the fact that the stigma about living in the projects is just a result of poor people living there. But rich people live in other types of less expensive housing, like apartments, which are the same types of housing built for government projects, and there isn't that much of a stigma about living in apartments. However, I guess there's really no reason why a rich person would live in a mobile home, so your point regarding the stigma being derived by the class of people living there and not the particular type of housing is taken.

LemonDrizzle posted:

Also, when you're talking about housing in major cities with strong economies, the cost of building the house is entirely secondary to the cost of the land it's sitting on.

The construction cost is not negligible though, and explains why new non-government subsidized housing is almost exclusively targeted towards the wealthy. I brought up the construction cost as a response to Radbot, who was complaining that the new 200k homes in the suburbs in Colorado are too expensive. That construction cost prevents the price of new homes from dropping much below that.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jun 10, 2015

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Great news! Washington D.C., which definitely doesn't have a housing affordability problem, voted just two days ago to downzone large swaths of neighborhoods like Capitol Hill and Columbia Heights. Now new construction infill rowhomes can only have two dwelling units, rather than three or four. Now that the vitally important neighborhood character has been preserved in amber safeguarded, the Zoning Commission can get back to the pesky problem of "how do we make it cheaper to live in these gosh darn expensive neighborhoods!?"

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Radbot posted:

Why aren't developers building more, cheaper houses in areas with less expensive land, like in Aurora, CO? There is clearly a market for it.

A quick google suggests that there are loads of properties available at $200,000 and under in Aurora, CO, and Google maps satellite images makes it look a lot like these were built mostly in large groups, suggesting that developers have built lots of houses there.

In any case, land being cheap in an area suggests that there isn't loads if excess domand for housing in area (or that it can't be legally used for housing). And how is building more houses in a suburb of Denver going to help high prices and underdevelopment in expensive urban areas? The problem is that many people don't want to live in a suburb of Denver or San Francisco and drive 2 hours to work each day.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Maybe the solution isn't trying to pack all the millions of people in each metropolis into a ten mile radius and instead spreading the jobs around to hundreds of 500kish towns.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

silence_kit posted:

Yeah, I thought about that, the fact that the stigma about living in the projects is just a result of poor people living there. But rich people live in other types of less expensive housing, like apartments, which are the same types of housing built for government projects, and there isn't that much of a stigma about living in apartments. However, I guess there's really no reason why a rich person would live in a mobile home, so your point regarding the stigma being derived by the class of people living there and not the particular type of housing is taken.

There isn't just a stigma about living in a home for poor people - there is also a stigma about living near poor people. As a result, communities are just fine with not having affordable housing and will often move to actively block any attempts to build it. It also makes for a fairly effective legal proxy for other less savory sentiments - as it turns out, pricing the minorities out of the local housing market works almost as well as redlining did.

Take, for example, this community in Australia, and how they feel about public housing:

http://m.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/nicholls-residents-oppose-public-housing-near-primary-school-20150519-gh2p2z

quote:

Hundreds of Gungahlin residents have opposed plans for a new housing development in their suburb, indicating the kind of opposition the ACT government will face as it tries to "salt and pepper" public housing throughout Canberra.

More than 1300 new public housing dwellings in groups of between 14 and 25 homes will be built around Canberra over five years as the government looks to decentralise properties and cash in on valuable inner-city land.

By 2020, residents will be moved from the Northbourne Avenue housing precinct, the Allawah, Bega and Currong flats in the city, and estates in Griffith, Woden and Red Hill.

But in an early test of this plan, residents in Nicholls have started to campaign against a small development of 14 units, complaining their safety, amenity and transport options would suffer if the proposed development near the Gold Creek primary school goes ahead.

A public housing renewal taskforce letter to Nicholls residents in February prompted 200 written responses, overwhelmingly opposed to the plan to develop a site currently zoned for community facilities.

Originally designed with 16 units, the development was scaled down after consultation.

Among the objections, Nicholls resident Jayleen Chen told the government the project would bring a "negative impact" to a family-friendly neighbourhood where properties regularly attract premium prices.

"I don't want to have to worry about my son's safety when he is playing outside on the street or on his way to or from school in the near future," Ms Chen said.

"Nicholls is one of the prestige suburbs in Canberra. It has nice established neighbourhood, residents with relatively high average income and no public housing, which was one of the reasons that compelled us to move to Nicholls years ago."

Doug Fox said the housing plan was unnecessary development that would see "potential slum" replace open space used for recreation by local families.

"Public housing smack in the middle of our communal space is not in keeping with that intent. I am sorry but you don't put your dirty laundry in your front window and that is what public housing in our mini-town centre does," he said.

Natasha Connell said building public housing close to childcare and schools would represent a safety risk to students and their families.

"I am baffled as to why the government thinks this would be a good idea to put possibly drug addicts, paedophiles and other people with mental disabilities within the same precinct," Mrs Connell wrote.

"We want our kids to have the freedom and security of riding and walking to school and after school or on weekends to visit their mates when they choose. We feel that this development is a blockade and a threat to the lifestyle that we had envisaged for our children."

On Monday, Gold Creek parents and citizens association representatives Michele Justin and Michael Rush criticised the plans, saying it could bring drug use and crime to area while the government had changed the types of residents.

A public meeting also heard concerns about increased traffic and a lack of car parking.

Housing Minister Yvette Berry this week warned against unfair generalisations about public housing communities, including stereotypes of antisocial behaviour and crime.

She stressed senior citizens and people living with disabilities relied on adequate government supported housing.

Nicholls resident Janice Dalton said local services there wouldn't cope, while potential drug use and crime could rise.

"The IGA supermarket is expensive along with the hairdresser so will not be in the price range for low income people to afford. The only reasonable shop is the take away which is not a healthy option," she said.

Jenny and William Ruthenberg said Nicholls was "in desperate need for proper play parks and dog parks [and] recreational areas."

"What use will the community have if ACT Housing houses are cramped into a small piece of land?"

Many residents raised a lack of public transport to the area, as well as other services including health and community groups.

"Nicholls is very suburban," resident Amanda Kiley said.

"Our local shops consist of a supermarket, beautician, hairdresser and two restaurants. People who require supportive housing need access to larger scale supermarkets, doctors and Centrelink."

Construction on the development is expected to commence in late-2015 with completion anticipated in 2016 or 2017

While this is from Australia, virtually the same thing happens whenever affordable housing is brought to communities in the US. Some of the objections, like lack of public transport and poor access to health facilities, are good ones. On the other hand, they're mixed in with people decrying the poor as "dirty laundry", "addicts and paedophiles", a "threat to the lifestyle we had envisaged", and a "negative impact" on housing values. Sure, it's public housing, which is a little bit different. But do you really think the woman who said she moved to Nicholas because it was a "prestige suburb" with "residents with relatively high average income" would be fine with non-public affordable housing? Communities don't want poor people; to them, the lack of affordable housing for the poor is a trend that should be encouraged, not fought.

EB Nulshit
Apr 12, 2014

It was more disappointing (and surprising) when I found that even most of Manhattan isn't like Times Square.

mastershakeman posted:

Maybe the solution isn't trying to pack all the millions of people in each metropolis into a ten mile radius and instead spreading the jobs around to hundreds of 500kish towns.

People want to live in those areas. Nobody tried to pack millions of people into them.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

pig slut lisa posted:

Great news! Washington D.C., which definitely doesn't have a housing affordability problem, voted just two days ago to downzone large swaths of neighborhoods like Capitol Hill and Columbia Heights. Now new construction infill rowhomes can only have two dwelling units, rather than three or four. Now that the vitally important neighborhood character has been preserved in amber safeguarded, the Zoning Commission can get back to the pesky problem of "how do we make it cheaper to live in these gosh darn expensive neighborhoods!?"

Maybe if the developers built cheaper houses!!!

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

mastershakeman posted:

What would be the benefit?

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

mastershakeman posted:

I would love to hear more detail on how you think this might be implemented, let alone succeed, because it sounds really authoritarian and ripe for failure

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

Nah, let's just build taller buildings to fit more people in

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
A textbook example of why direct democracy doesn't work - housing policy is one of those obvious areas, much like energy policy or tax policy, where putting it up for a vote is completely inappropriate. Having current area landowners vote on whether or not new housing is added to an area is absurd - it's like deciding whether or not to offer public schooling by having a vote amongst owners of private schools.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

archangelwar posted:

What would be the benefit?

Affordable housing without needing to run trains 50 miles every direction or push everyone into megatowers. Better traffic too.

Take Illinois for example, if the half dozen cities of between 100-200k grew (champaign, Springfield, Peoria, Rockford, Aurora, Joliet) and were self sustainable with plenty of white collar jobs there wouldn't be the giant demand in Chicago for extremely expensive housing, and the expensive roads and rail to support it. Basically get rid of the suburbs of the huge cities by having those people live and work in smaller cities and not commute hours to the megacity downtown.

Unless you think all of America should live in like 5 metropolises.

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jun 10, 2015

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

mastershakeman posted:

It certainly is possible to build sustainable smaller communities, though there's always going to be some tradeoff simply in terms of how much extra energy it takes to ship stuff to/from there. American suburbs are nowhere close to this, it seems bad to me to continue to enable the sprawling empty suburb where you can't see the walmart entrance from the target parking lot because of the curvature of the earth.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I care about this a lot because at the moment I'm looking for a new flat and they are running at about £1000pcm for 500sf

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

Affordable housing without needing to run trains 50 miles every direction or push everyone into megatowers. Better traffic too.

Take Illinois for example, if the half dozen cities of between 100-200k grew (champaign, Springfield, Peoria, Rockford, Aurora, Joliet) and were self sustainable with plenty of white collar jobs there wouldn't be the giant demand in Chicago for extremely expensive housing, and the expensive roads and rail to support it. Basically get rid of the suburbs of the huge cities by having those people live and work in smaller cities and not commute hours to the megacity downtown.

How are you going to achieve this? Currently a variety of different city sizes exist, I believe they follow an exponential size/number relationship. Perhaps we could wait for an earthquake to split LA into correctly sized communities?

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

mastershakeman posted:

Network effects are a thing.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

pointsofdata posted:

When house prices are high of course new house prices are also high, it's not loving hard. The problem is not enough houses, not that the target market for expensive houses is rich people.

it turns out the economies of the us and the uk are pretty different, and their housing markets even more so

who knew???

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Popular Thug Drink posted:

it turns out the economies of the us and the uk are pretty different, and their housing markets even more so

who knew???

I was under the impression that the same problem was affecting major cities like DC, LA, and San Francisco but maybe eveythings great there!

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

mastershakeman posted:

there are efficiency advantages to concentrating jobs and people. it's just that in america people prefer socially inefficient but personally efficient (and expensive) ways to travel and live.

also with the average employment length and the rate at which companies go out of business or get bought you'd see a lot of smaller metropolitan cities getting owned constantly by restructuring and job loss. sort of building some level of rust beltiness into your metro framework

pointsofdata posted:

I was under the impression that the same problem was affecting major cities like DC, LA, and San Francisco but maybe eveythings great there!

i hate to break it to you, but major cities like DC, LA, and San Francisco are in the us, not the uk, where laws are different, attitudes towards regional planning are different, and cultural expectations are different. this is one of the other ways that 1:1 comparisons between housing markets in the uk are not the same as they are in the us

example: there is no such thing as 'council housing' in the us, not even close

another example: there are plenty of houses in the US. they are not easy to get to or afford for many people, and there is a big preference mismatch between the kind of houses people want to buy versus what is available

a friend of mine lives in a brand new subdivision on the far outskirts of atlanta where about half of the homes have been vacant since they were built because you have to drive twenty minutes to get anywhere and they're still like $275k

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jun 10, 2015

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

i hate to break it to you, but major cities like DC, LA, and San Francisco are in the us, not the uk, where laws are different, attitudes towards regional planning are different, and cultural expectations are different. this is one of the other ways that 1:1 comparisons between housing markets in the uk are not the same as they are in the us

example: there is no such thing as 'council housing' in the us, not even close

another example: there are plenty of houses in the US. they are not easy to get to or afford for many people, and there is a big preference mismatch between the kind of houses people want to buy versus what is available

a friend of mine lives in a brand new subdivision on the far outskirts of atlanta where about half of the homes have been vacant since they were built because you have to drive twenty minutes to get anywhere and they're still like $275k

I understand that there are differences but the general problems of extremely high prices in some urban areas, existing landowners preventing new development, and suburban sprawl are the same, although to different extents obviously.

Also there is increasingly little council housing in the UK now, and it looks like the rate of the sell off is going to increase with the new parliament.

EB Nulshit
Apr 12, 2014

It was more disappointing (and surprising) when I found that even most of Manhattan isn't like Times Square.

mastershakeman posted:

Let us wave our magic wand for a moment. Okay, now you have people in your cities of a few hundred thousand people.

What do you do as the years pass and people naturally concentrate in some cities? Do you kick them out when housing prices get too high for the poor of those cities? Do you encourage the construction of high-rise apartment buildings? Do you just forbid people from moving to cities that have reached their allotted 500k people?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Radbot posted:

There's a whole class of houses known for being cheap. They're called manufactured homes. I live in one right now! The stigma around them helps keep the price somewhat lower than renting an apartment. Then again, I live in the bay area so even renting a 1br manufactured home costs almost 2k/month.

OldHansMoleman posted:

it's cool the high density we are allowing is in a smart growth corridor you don't need to put in parking

oh poo poo the nearest transit stop is 4 miles with a hill you weren't supposed to drive wttttttffff
Well yeah, higher density needs to go hand in hand with infrastructure that supports it.

mastershakeman posted:

Large metros have a bunch of advantages, including more 'culture' and opportunities to do...stuff, and higher economic productivity that translates into higher wages (which then get eaten up by higher housing costs, haha!).

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

mastershakeman posted:

I don't really understand where to start to reply to this post, especially since it ends with some weird accusation that poisons the well. But your plan to address the issues with housing market by somehow forcing them to be smaller just seems weird when you could just directly address the market itself in the larger cities. Then you don't need as many extensive travel arteries. It is weird to claim that you don't want to build more subway lines and then encourage a pattern that requires a strong interconnected network of super highways, airports, and passenger/freight rail.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

How about higher taxes on businesses in larger cities? This is what is done in Germany afaik.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

How about higher taxes

Hah

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

It's true that different real estate markets have their own peculiarities. However, rent and house price growth have been dramatically outstripping wage growth in major urban centres across the anglosphere, and the things those markets have in common are probably more interesting than their differences. I mean, it could be a coincidence that housing costs in SF have been going up in the same ridiculous way and over the same period of time as they have in London and Auckland and Vancouver and Sydney, but... it probably isn't, you know?

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

LemonDrizzle posted:

It's true that different real estate markets have their own peculiarities. However, rent and house price growth have been dramatically outstripping wage growth in major urban centres across the anglosphere, and the things those markets have in common are probably more interesting than their differences. I mean, it could be a coincidence that housing costs in SF have been going up in the same ridiculous way and over the same period of time as they have in London and Auckland and Vancouver and Sydney, but... it probably isn't, you know?

Yeah, I think you're right. I'm most familiar with American land use planning, but what I do know of Australian and British land use planning indicates that similar constraints on the building supply exist. They may or may not be implemented the same as here but the results are the same.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Shifty Pony posted:

Actually it is true for houses. If you haven't plowed money into major renovations the house is likely worth less today than it was then. It is just that land appreciation masks it and land in desirable areas has gone way way up because cities have prevented it from being used for anything but single family homes.

Most of the houses around me are worth negative money, evidenced by the developers buying them cash for $300k then spending $10k to demolish them to put up their $700k 2700sqft luxury house. The houses people buy to live in have had extensive renovations done in the last 20 years or so.

That may be true wherever you live (Detroit?) but it's not true in most of the country. Even after the housing bubble popped, most homes retained at least their original value, and many are worth much more. Case study: Phoenix was hit particularly hard by the housing bubble, but a house there worth $100k in 2005 is worth $200k today.

Treating the land as a separate commodity in an attempt to obfuscate the point is extremely weird because usually you don't buy the land and the home separately, they come together. Most people aren't buying homes, bulldozing them, and then building new homes.

Either way the car analogy is bad

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jun 10, 2015

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

silence_kit posted:

And your whining about free market economics also would be totally misdirected and would betray a lack of understanding of what's going on in that hypothetical car market, too.

Hardly. It wouldn't be due to a lack of understanding, it would be due to being angry about a system that prevented poor people from owning cars.

Cicero posted:

There's a whole class of houses known for being cheap. They're called manufactured homes. I live in one right now! The stigma around them helps keep the price somewhat lower than renting an apartment. Then again, I live in the bay area so even renting a 1br manufactured home costs almost 2k/month.

That's cool, good for you. Personally I'd rather pay to have a conventionally constructed, small home built for me (particularly because manufactured homes have lifespans that are much, much shorter than conventional homes), but apparently "free market economics" are the "obvious reason" that I can't find anyone willing to take my money.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

QuarkJets posted:

That may be true wherever you live (Detroit?) but it's not true in most of the country. Even after the housing bubble popped, most homes retained at least their original value, and many are worth much more. Case study: Phoenix was hit particularly hard by the housing bubble, but a house there worth $100k in 2005 is worth $200k today.

Treating the land as a separate commodity in an attempt to obfuscate the point is extremely weird because usually you don't buy the land and the home separately, they come together. Most people aren't buying homes, bulldozing them, and then building new homes.

Either way the car analogy is bad

Uhhhh land and structures are definitely different things with different values. They are assessed individually. And there's plenty of demo/new build all over the country. Sometimes it's a similar use, sometimes it's more intense (where zoning allows), someone's it's less intense (see e.g. Lincoln Park in Chicago where rich people are buying up multiple lots or knocking down three flats to put up single family houses).

I understand why you think land and structures are the same commodity. I imagine most people who aren't familiar with development and property taxation think the same thing. It can seem counterintuitive. But thinking about land and structures as a combined entity is incorrect.

e: here's a typical assessor's report for a random commercial building in my county

pig slut lisa fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 10, 2015

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

LemonDrizzle posted:

yeah but rising housing prices isn't in question, it's why and what can be done about it. the kind of mass populist housing scheme that would be popular in the uk isn't going to fly in the us, where people tend to demand the government build bigger transportation infrastructure to privately developed housing

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Radbot posted:

That's cool, good for you. Personally I'd rather pay to have a conventionally constructed, small home built for me (particularly because manufactured homes have lifespans that are much, much shorter than conventional homes), but apparently "free market economics" are the "obvious reason" that I can't find anyone willing to take my money.

actually you're just not looking hard enough, there's sure to be someone out there who will do it for you

the reason nobody does this as a matter of course though is because you're a very niche minority and there's no profit to be made catering to a handful of weirdos who want shoebox sized custom built houses

if you want a small house manufactured in large quantity, buy a trailer

e: how many contractors have you called? if it's more than zero i'll be suprised. are you expecting just to pick a 750 sq/ft studio as a freestanding structure off a realtor's website or something?

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jun 10, 2015

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?

Cicero posted:

It's not like developers can shove hyper-expensive housing down everyone's throat anywhere they want. When I visit my sister in Utah I see plenty of billboard ads for new houses in the 200s, sometimes even lower than that. Of course it's easier and cheaper to build out than up, but letting people build up is still a lot better than not letting them build at all.

$200,000 for a house is pretty high imo, but that's regional bias for you.

Fasdar posted:

What about high density, affordable housing that isn't terrible graham cracker boxes plopped on the nearest 'not technically the flood plain' flood plain?

That is to say, where the gently caress are our arcologies already?

You don't even need to pack everyone into dystopian skyscrapers. LA and it's old suburbs are pretty drat dense (Inglewood is denser than Philadelphia), and they've got a lot of single family housing.

The problem now is that no one builds small houses. The average new house is over 2000 square feet, whereas the post-war suburbs were built half that size. Those sprawling more-recent - last 30-40 years or so- suburbs could be twice as close to the city if they weren't all full of massive mini-mansions.

mastershakeman posted:

Agreed, but most people on this forum thinks that anywhere outside of 5 or so big metros areas might as well be a farm town with nothing to do and no where to work above minimum wage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

actually you're just not looking hard enough, there's sure to be someone out there who will do it for you

the reason nobody does this as a matter of course though is because you're a very niche minority and there's no profit to be made catering to a handful of weirdos who want shoebox sized custom built houses

if you want a small house manufactured in large quantity, buy a trailer

e: how many contractors have you called? if it's more than zero i'll be suprised. are you expecting just to pick a 750 sq/ft studio as a freestanding structure off a realtor's website or something?

I don't think DINKs who want smaller homes are a "very niche" minority, but I'm willing to be convinced. Can I see the data that's informing your opinion? The data I have shows that Millennials can't afford many of the homes on the market and are delaying children until much later than their predecessors.

Have YOU ever called a contractor to get a quote on a home built on land that you don't own yet? They tend to be a bit annoyed by that.

Radbot fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jun 10, 2015

• Locked thread