Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
clammy
Nov 25, 2004

Why is rent up by 100% but minimum wage is only up by ~17% over 10 years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

clammy posted:

Because the increase is exponential.

clammy
Nov 25, 2004

Mo_Steel posted:

Because the increase is exponential.

wage increase seems more logarithmic than exponential to me

Minghawk
Oct 9, 2012
There's a thing for this now.

:capitalism:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

clammy posted:

wage increase seems more logarithmic than exponential to me

Maybe you're thinking quadratic?

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

clammy posted:

Short answer: historical low interest Fed interest rates combined with mediocre dividend returns on the market means you have a lot of money going into the 'safe bet' of rent-seeking in real estate. These same conditions are also why silicon valley startups are receiving absurd injections of venture capital leading to valuations that can't be described as anything other than 'silly'

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
It's a real mystery OP.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

We kept the minimum wage low to keep the cost of living low so you can live like a king on $7/hr. You're welcome op.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Because life is only fair for the people who have money and that is none of us it's guys Precise Associates Inc and that fellow Corcoran Group

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Because people want to charge more for renting their buildings than they want to pay their workers.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
Because the global economy is actually run by a cabal of accelerationists.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I bet OP owns a fridge :smuggo:

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Because house prices, unlike wages, can never go down

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Because Ricardo was right and Smith and Marx weren't.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

clammy posted:

Because the rent is too drat high.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
because rentiers are more important than workers because hey, theyre parasites *with money*

Sock on a Fish
Jul 17, 2004

What if that thing I said?
Because lots of people want to live in the same spot but there's not enough housing to accommodate them all.

And because legislators have decided to set minimum wage at a certain level.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
If minimum wage is increased everything will cost more, such as rent

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.
The market is a human construction so let's mandate lower rent.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Munich put a rent cap in place recently

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/sep/23/germany-imposes-rent-caps-inner-city-properties

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

hallebarrysoetoro posted:

If minimum wage is increased everything will cost more, such as rent

- An idiot

Funny how everyone is so very, very concerned about the burger flippers possibly living above their station in life while the ridiculous salaries of VC-funded fart app programmers fly right on by

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

asdf32 posted:

The market is a human construction so let's mandate lower rent.

A good idea

EB Nulshit
Apr 12, 2014

It was more disappointing (and surprising) when I found that even most of Manhattan isn't like Times Square.

From that article:

quote:

A tenants’ group welcomed the move but said: ‘The real problem at the heart of Germany’s housing crisis is a shortage of new properties.’

It's great that people there seem to recognize that a housing shortage is the problem, rather than those evil fart app programmers :argh:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Radbot posted:

- An idiot

Funny how everyone is so very, very concerned about the burger flippers possibly living above their station in life while the ridiculous salaries of VC-funded fart app programmers fly right on by

The market decided fart app creators are just more important than burger flippers. :shrug: :capitalism:

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx
Are fart app programmers evil gentrifiers who will be first against the wall, as e-communists love saying, or are they actually self-deluded proletarians who can't see the surplus labor being wrung from them, as e-communists also love saying? Perhaps both???

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
The consecrated computer programmer must not be desecrated by the e-evil e-communist, and I will not hesitate to risk flames, killfiles, and spamming in my defense of them.

Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

Poor people reproduce faster that wealthier job creators, so there aren't enough jobs or housing for all the poor people. Robots are replacing traditional manual labor positions at alarming rates. Simply put, the value of manual / uneducated labor is falling because there are more people in the world (supply) and less demand.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Effectronica posted:

The consecrated computer programmer must not be desecrated by the e-evil e-communist, and I will not hesitate to risk flames, killfiles, and spamming in my defense of them.

Fool, you eschew the true proletariat cause for these lumpenproletariat scum, who fancy themselves members of the bourgeoisie but who fail to recognize that their success is yet predicated upon the broken system of capitalism? Truly you are no friend to the working class, have you forgotten the truth?

No war but e-class war.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Everyone keeps pointing to a lack of housing as the issue, and we live in a free-ish market economy, and yet - there is no new affordable housing being built. It's almost like that's not the whole issue.

Touchdown Boy
Apr 1, 2007

I saw my friend there out on the field today, I asked him where he's going, he said "All the way."
Instead of complaining just buy a house and rent it to someone for far more than it costs in mortgage payments, then buy a few more and repeat. There, problem solved (for you).

EB Nulshit
Apr 12, 2014

It was more disappointing (and surprising) when I found that even most of Manhattan isn't like Times Square.

Radbot posted:

Everyone keeps pointing to a lack of housing as the issue, and we live in a free-ish market economy, and yet - there is no new affordable housing being built. It's almost like that's not the whole issue.

Where is housing not affordable? NYC? Some parts of California? The examples that come to my mind involve legal restrictions on supply. It's almost like that's the entire issue

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Because when it's too expensive to buy demand for rent goes up, when rent gets too high people try to buy instead. Many cannot.

There are no downward pressures, only the landed gentry further exploiting the working class.

:capitalism:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

If we have a $15 billion/second minimum wage do you have any idea how expensive rent would be?

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
A return to the predominance of property holder/rentee relations is the form of late stage capitalism.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
Have you thought about maybe, just maybe, stop being part of the 99%?

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Rorus Raz posted:

I bet OP owns a fridge :smuggo:

I only own a mini fridge :saddowns:

SpeedGem
Sep 19, 2012

by Ralp
Beacuse the more wal-mart pays out in wages the more their stores close.

EB Nulshit
Apr 12, 2014

I unironically believe that the government should ensure that there is always so much housing in major metro areas that, even if every person had their own 600sqft condo, 10% of it would be empty just because there wouldn't be enough to fill it. Supply should be inflated by the government instead of constrained.

Ideally, these would be built by the government and there would income quotes forcing rich people to live in the same buildings as poor people and all buildings would be nice and modern instead of being big, cheap-looking brown boxes that nobody would want to live in.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

EB Nulshit posted:

I unironically believe that the government should ensure that there is always so much housing in major metro areas that, even if every person had their own 600sqft condo, 10% of it would be empty just because there wouldn't be enough to fill it. Supply should be inflated by the government instead of constrained.

Ideally, these would be built by the government and there would income quotes forcing rich people to live in the same buildings as poor people and all buildings would be nice and modern instead of being big, cheap-looking brown boxes that nobody would want to live in.

Also all building should be mixed use to encourage better neighborhood design along with requirements for fresh food availability,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Series DD Funding posted:

Are fart app programmers evil gentrifiers who will be first against the wall, as e-communists love saying, or are they actually self-deluded proletarians who can't see the surplus labor being wrung from them, as e-communists also love saying? Perhaps both???

They are digital peasants, so they are simultaneously exploited and reactionary. They will be put against the wall, but only for their own good. :ussr:

• Locked thread