Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

bloody ghost titty posted:

30min north is a beast but if you're not loving with bad news bar, you're dead inside.

Okay, making the trip soon. Gonna see how many people I can get to go with me.

Had an awesome service tonight. Sold a bottle of chateau margaux first vine, on top of another ~800 in wine. Management gave me run of the floor to see how I would react to being triple sat with 18 people and I pulled out of it the highest in sales. Nothing like 5k night. They decided I would be working with the party coordinator for the next month and they want me to get my level 2 som done before my time runs out. Moving to this place a month ago was the best choice I have made in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Secret Spoon posted:

Okay, making the trip soon. Gonna see how many people I can get to go with me.

Had an awesome service tonight. Sold a bottle of chateau margaux first vine, on top of another ~800 in wine. Management gave me run of the floor to see how I would react to being triple sat with 18 people and I pulled out of it the highest in sales. Nothing like 5k night. They decided I would be working with the party coordinator for the next month and they want me to get my level 2 som done before my time runs out. Moving to this place a month ago was the best choice I have made in a while.

I want to drink some chateau margaux :(

please help

sincerely,
mindphlux

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

mindphlux posted:

please help

sincerely,
mindphlux

They offered me a taste, and it was delicious and complicated. The brother who is more at home with my taste in wine and loved it. For the other brother I suggested a bottle of dancing hares that he also loved. It's good to know my hours of study and sunk cash into wine haven't gone to waste. I'm loving the industry again. All I had to do was be quiet and be a yes man.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

bloody ghost titty posted:

30min north is a beast but if you're not loving with bad news bar, you're dead inside.

Check out Spare Key also.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Shooting Blanks posted:

Check out Spare Key also.

Added. I'll try and bring at least 5 for this, if it hits right I might get even more. It's no secret that Houston itself has a good cocktail scene, I'm more or less complaining about my area. Anyone else have some good suggestions? If you work a bar out here in Houston let me know. I'll try it out. For now I'm stuck at local pour because at least they do a proper sidecar.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Secret Spoon posted:

Added. I'll try and bring at least 5 for this, if it hits right I might get even more. It's no secret that Houston itself has a good cocktail scene, I'm more or less complaining about my area. Anyone else have some good suggestions? If you work a bar out here in Houston let me know. I'll try it out. For now I'm stuck at local pour because at least they do a proper sidecar.

Johnny's Gold Brick is pretty decent, although I've only been once - I know who the owners are, they do good work.

twotimer
Jul 19, 2013

JacquelineDempsey posted:

DOD contractors. All black, no open back, no open toes (I'm assuming the holes in crocs are verboten? no one in my area wears them), no steel toes, etc etc. We actually have a dress code for socks. Good thing I favor black socks to begin with because I just learned yesterday that that's code, too.

I dig the shoes I bought, they've broken in nicely; and a few goons said "go cheap on shoes, but don't skimp on insoles". So still looking for advice on insoles. Also, I will confirm that a change of socks midway thru shift makes a world of difference. Thanks for that tip.

birkenstocks come in black, have no open back nor toes, no steel toes, and have no holes.

twotimer fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jun 10, 2015

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

mindphlux posted:

please help

sincerely,
mindphlux

I forget if we sell Margaux or not but we have most of /those/ somewhere.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Somebody came in last night and ordered our pork buns. Except they wanted none of the things we put on them, except the pork belly. Oh, and could you put plain mayonnaise on it? It was the saddest looking plate on the planet, and I wish the chef owners had told them to get hosed.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Somebody came in last night and ordered our pork buns. Except they wanted none of the things we put on them, except the pork belly. Oh, and could you put plain mayonnaise on it? It was the saddest looking plate on the planet, and I wish the chef owners had told them to get hosed.

:(

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I feel bad for that pork belly

:gonk:

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Was the guy happy with it?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Kenning posted:

The most fun I've had as a server is when people ask me to put their meal together for them. The level of surprise and delight that results is very satisfying.

Lots of good cocktail bars have a bartender's choice option and those that don't will still often oblige. My two-month reservation at Bar Isabel in Toronto finally came up and after the first cocktail was sufficiently amazing I felt comfortable going with the "Dealer's choice" which ended up being Botanists, Cocci Americano, and some of the best vermouth I've ever tasted. Those cats behind the bar knew their game.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

pile of brown posted:

Was the guy happy with it?

Yeah. It's always good to get business, but I hope when he comes back, he's feeling more adventurous.

TheSnowySoviet
May 12, 2004

It never got weird enough for me.
So after the better part of a decade in middling cafe kitchens, I've got an interview and -- if that goes well -- a stage shift tomorrow for a fancy new place run by a pair of somewhat famous chefs. Here's the catch: when I got the call to come in, the line cut out just after my potential future-boss said "... so I need you here Friday at 3, and..." I called back immediately; it went straight to voicemail. I called again a few days later; again, straight to voicemail. No word on any other details besides the place, date, and time.

So goddamn nervous. My current plan is to show up ready for a job interview, with work clothes/shoes and my knife kit in a backpack, and hope that they didn't forget about me or change their mind mid-call and just hang up. Whee!

Edit: whoop, forgot that bit about "in a backpack." Shows me for panic-posting first thing in the morning -- definitely not showing up in kitchen scrubs for a job interview!

TheSnowySoviet fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jun 11, 2015

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Show up in interview clothes. Definitely take all your stuff, it's a good idea, but keep it in a car/backpack until they tell you that's what they want.

Personally it's never bothered me but the last 2 chefs that I worked for/hired for hated people who wore kitchen clothes to interviews, idk why.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Any of y'all dealt much with the marketing side of this business? I've been tasked with researching some stuff in the e-marketing department and would love to pick someone's brain over emails or PMs regarding starting points and experiences with specific softwares and such. So far all I know is "not chipmunk," assuming bossman has the software name right.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

pile of brown posted:

Show up in interview clothes. Definitely take all your stuff, it's a good idea, but keep it in a car/backpack until they tell you that's what they want.

Personally it's never bothered me but the last 2 chefs that I worked for/hired for hated people who wore kitchen clothes to interviews, idk why.

It's because a chef is involved in running a business, and wants people who are professionals. Someone who shows up for a job interview wearing a uniform probably A. doesn't really understand what an interview is about, B. may not understand the difference between personal life and work life, C. is probably a 'lifer' in that respect (and probably is thus more prone to slacking off or not being ambitious or putting in 110% or whatever), D. who knows what's going on in front of house that day, maybe an owner is meeting with vendors, they're talking to a catering client, just who knows - and some dopey rear end kid is standing there in his old stained probably-not-up-to-your-ideal-business-standards outfit? Just seems like there are a million possible ways you could shoot yourself in the foot or make a bad first impression wearing a uniform, but you're completely safe dressing like a normal person going to a non-industry interview.

I dunno, those are just my guesses. When I staged for that james beard place a few years back, I showed up in normal business casual attire that I'd feel comfortable wearing if I was going to dinner there (jacket and slacks) with my stuff in the car, and it went well. At the end of the interview they asked if I had chef whites and my knives and I was like yeah let me grab them out my car, and that was that.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Chef fired the cook who had a bunch of overcooked steaks tonight. I guess he had some stuff happen to him and he couldn't concentrate. I hate it when nice people get fired when they are trying their best :(.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Secret Spoon posted:

Chef fired the cook who had a bunch of overcooked steaks tonight. I guess he had some stuff happen to him and he couldn't concentrate. I hate it when nice people get fired when they are trying their best :(.

Was it the same guy who sent out the 5 overcooked steaks before? If so he definitely didn't belong there.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

pentyne posted:

Was it the same guy who sent out the 5 overcooked steaks before? If so he definitely didn't belong there.

Yeup, still don't like it. Chef will be working his station until we replace him.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

People can be nice and still be a bad fit for a position. Sounds like he'd be better off working in a different environment. Firing people isn't pleasant and it sucks to have to find a new job, but letting him stay on and struggle to avoid hurting his feelings wouldn't be doing him any favors.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

I mean I know he had to go. I was over at his house a few nights ago with a few of the other line guys and some bussers drinking and I told him he needed to get his poo poo together. Ill be heading over to his place on Sunday. hope that's not awkward.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Does he get unemployment at least?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Secret Spoon posted:

Yeup, still don't like it. Chef will be working his station until we replace him.

Didn't you say that the 5 steaks the first night cost the restaurant close to $30k? It sucks if his personal life is dogging him so bad he can't do his job, but from everything described in this thread sending out bad steaks at a $100 a steak place is a huge, huge problem.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Anyone work / live in San Francisco that can give me a recommendation on a great place to eat? Don't care if it's low or high scale.

Flying out there for the day tomorrow and would love to have a great meal.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

pentyne posted:

Didn't you say that the 5 steaks the first night cost the restaurant close to $30k? It sucks if his personal life is dogging him so bad he can't do his job, but from everything described in this thread sending out bad steaks at a $100 a steak place is a huge, huge problem.

For sure. I guess I'm just over reacting a little because my dad lost his job the day before.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

A Man and his dog posted:

Does he get unemployment at least?

Not as a fire with documented cause, no. :(

Secret Spoon posted:

For sure. I guess I'm just over reacting a little because my dad lost his job the day before.

alternate suggestion: it is okay to feel sad when sad things happen, even when they happen for good reason. You had a good cook gently caress up some unfuckuppable tables, and dealing with that as necessary is sad and hopefully he lands on his feet.

Recently we churned through a room service attendant who was definitely somewhere on some kind of spectrum who put in his notice, was told he didn't need to put in four weeks notice as a room service attendant, and took that to mean he was being fired which he then blabbed to everyone in earshot except for the poor HR person who could have explained he was not actually fired (he was being pushed out in that oh-so-passive way large companies do, but he was definitely not fired.) In order to forestall an incredibly irritating situation HR gave him a position in our restaurant front of house. On his first day back he--and this is true--took a nap in the restaurant right as we were getting reamed for lunch. He was immediately fired for real. that is hilarious and righteous in equal measure. See the difference?

Be at your boy's house, make some space for sad feelings to coexist along your irritation at your ballsed up tables, and give him space for the same in turn. Namaste, y'all. End the war in syria.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Love working with that guy.

Also, became the owner of an R301 Ultra robot coupe today. It was broken, gonna get thrown out, I fixed it, and now I have a $1300 food processor, lolololol.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
I'm a line cook and I love my chef but not the work anymore. Is two weeks' notice kosher? Help assuage my guilt / aughh how do I quit

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Tender Child Loins posted:

I'm a line cook and I love my chef but not the work anymore. Is two weeks' notice kosher? Help assuage my guilt / aughh how do I quit

Two weeks is plenty unless they are somehow utterly dependent on you, in which case they probably weren't paying you enough so gently caress them anyways.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Tender Child Loins posted:

Two weeks is honorable. More than they'll expect, really.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Willie Tomg posted:

Be at your boy's house, make some space for sad feelings to coexist along your irritation at your ballsed up tables, and give him space for the same in turn. Namaste, y'all. End the war in syria.

Thanks man. I'll do what I need to and I already recommended him for two cook jobs out here for decent places. He's good but he let his home life affect his work. I don't know, poo poo happens. I'll be spending dinner with my recently unemployed dad and then turning around to hang with him that night. Right now I feel bad because I'm in part making it about myself. But nothing bad has happened to me.

The good news is that I'm drunk.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

A Man and his dog posted:

Anyone work / live in San Francisco that can give me a recommendation on a great place to eat? Don't care if it's low or high scale.

Flying out there for the day tomorrow and would love to have a great meal.

If you want to do a really fine meal Sons and Daughters is a pricey but not overly-pretentious prix fixe tasting menu near Union Square. If you want something cheap and fantastic Shanghai Dumpling King in Glen Park makes amazing spicy wonton dumplings and Shanghai-style dumplings and really all of their dumplings and buns are great.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
State Bird is fantastic, get in line at 5 and you'll be in quick enough. Or do The Progress next door.

You really gotta give me some more parameters/likes/dislikes for a good rec.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Secret Spoon posted:

Thanks man. I'll do what I need to and I already recommended him for two cook jobs out here for decent places. He's good but he let his home life affect his work. I don't know, poo poo happens. I'll be spending dinner with my recently unemployed dad and then turning around to hang with him that night. Right now I feel bad because I'm in part making it about myself. But nothing bad has happened to me.

The good news is that I'm drunk.

The way you're referring to his home life I can't tell if is in the vein of "problems with wife/children" or "does copious amounts of alcohol/drugs, barely functions"

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
So, my boss says typically we hand out 3% raises/bonuses. Last year I got 4/4. This year I got a 5% bonus... and a 15% raise. I nearly pooped.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

pentyne posted:

The way you're referring to his home life I can't tell if is in the vein of "problems with wife/children" or "does copious amounts of alcohol/drugs, barely functions"

Wife and kids. Wife's going in for a surgery. Another one. He doesn't drink much.

beefnchedda
Aug 16, 2004

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

State Bird is fantastic, get in line at 5 and you'll be in quick enough. Or do The Progress next door.

You really gotta give me some more parameters/likes/dislikes for a good rec.

Liho Liho Yacht Club is another nice recommendation. Had a really enjoyable meal there last week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Secret Spoon posted:

Wife and kids. Wife's going in for a surgery. Another one. He doesn't drink much.

I assume steak cook at a top tier steakhouse isn't a job that would lend itself to taking time off. That really sucks, but it seems like normal for the industry.

• Locked thread