Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
i feel like the gwent discussion should be in another thread tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
I've not played W1 or W2, can someone tell me why exactly Dandelion and Geralt are buddies? The dude's hilarious but they really don't seem like the types to bro down.

genpj
Aug 11, 2012

Million Ghosts posted:

I've not played W1 or W2, can someone tell me why exactly Dandelion and Geralt are buddies? The dude's hilarious but they really don't seem like the types to bro down.

Strange... I don't remember how it exactly happened in books. Dandelion was always... around.

Well after quick googling I found this:

quote:

Dandelion: Millet and mosquitoes! That reminds me of our first expedition together to the edge of the world, he said. Do you remember? We met at the fête in Gulet and you persuaded me —
Geralt: You persuaded me! You had to flee from Gulet as fast as your horse could carry you because the girl you'd knocked up under the musicians' podium had four sturdy brothers. They were looking for you all over town, threatening to geld you and cover you in pitch and sawdust. That's why you hung on to me then.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
They met way before that, I think when Geralt encounters the gold dragon (saskia's dad) and saves him.
Then they meet again in Novigrad, Dudu is there too. Eh just watch the Hexer TV series :)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Dandelion is Geralt's true waifu. I could listen to them friendly-bicker back and forth forever and ever and I would play a game that is just that. Geralt wandering the land slaying demons while Dandelion does absolutely nothing but banter with him and take the credit afterward.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

sauer kraut posted:

They met way before that, I think when Geralt encounters the gold dragon (saskia's dad) and saves him.
Then they meet again in Novigrad, Dudu is there too. Eh just watch the Hexer TV series :)

what were they thinking making the pronunciation of dudu doo doo

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Just beat (endgame spoilers) Imlerith. Christ, that finisher was absolutely brutal. And there's still more! I can't believe how much great poo poo they've crammed in here, christ.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

CJacobs posted:

Dandelion is Geralt's true waifu. I could listen to them friendly-bicker back and forth forever and ever and I would play a game that is just that. Geralt wandering the land slaying demons while Dandelion does absolutely nothing but banter with him and take the credit afterward.

Good news!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_Ju8WVY2a4

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Bear armor looks comfy as gently caress.
I just wish it had the tubby fatso griffin skillset, because my Geralt is all Igni every day

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
The Peter Griffin Armor is all about lighting things on fire all day every day, and I'm not ashamed to wear it :btroll:

Execu-speak
Jun 2, 2011

Welcome to the real world hippies!

Generic Monk posted:

am i the only person in this thread who hasn't touched gwent at all? beyond a single match i quit halfway through. my mild antipathy towards gwent is such that at least a few NPCs have died over it.

probably still better than loving dice poker though

Count me in, I tried it and hate it. Not my cup of tea at all. There's that quest in Novigrad where there's a choice between playing gwent and offing some guy. I didn't even hesitate to off the guy.

I miss dice poker, they should have kept it in. At least they kept the fisticuffs in.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

hey so no spoilers but i feel like maybe i did this the wrong way ??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVwPLH6sy-c

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

oddium posted:

Saved you a swim!

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

sauer kraut posted:

Nah, they were buddies around that time already. Dandelion is Geralt's best friend because they've known each other for a long time and been through a whole lot of stuff together.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Generic Monk posted:

am i the only person in this thread who hasn't touched gwent at all? beyond a single match i quit halfway through. my mild antipathy towards gwent is such that at least a few NPCs have died over it.

probably still better than loving dice poker though

No dozens of people have made this same uninteresting post.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

oddium posted:

I still have no idea how you're supposed to get in there the normal way. I just hopped across the gap, rolled up a hill while Geralt complained about his broken kneecaps, and then got out before the wyvern wrecked my poo poo.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

oddium posted:

Did the exact same thing. Tried Aarding it, crossbowing it, igni...jumped and found I could grasp the edge. Went right instead of left, but I was able to scale the wall and hop over. Then I went downstairs and was all :downs:

Edit: That wyvern is the easiest monster to beat even if you're underleveled. Just crossbow it while it's over water, done.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

CJacobs posted:

I still have no idea how you're supposed to get in there the normal way. I just hopped across the gap, rolled up a hill while Geralt complained about his broken kneecaps, and then got out before the wyvern wrecked my poo poo.

There's an underwater cave

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.
Yeah. If you read the quest or map marker it says it use to be a cove for pirate smugglers or something along those lines. Pretty obvious that you had to swim in from that.

I jumped it though.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Wow Geralt is kind of a dick about getting paid if you happen across a notice board quest and do it before finding the quest giver. I just did one where he saved a couple of traveling merchants from a royal wyvern. Upon getting to the guy that put up the notice, Geralt interrupted his dialogue and instead of saying "yup took care of the wyvern" he opened with "wyvern killed a bunch of your guys but the ones that lived should be here soon, can't wait for my payment lol". When the dude asked if Geralt had any proof, Geralt did not produce the trophy he took from the wyvern and instead countered with "well fine we'll just wait till those dudes get back but then you'll have to pay me more sooo". I mean I guess I don't blame him but jeez man at least warn me before you're just gonna be a dick to a guy like that.

edit: And the guy just accepted that for an answer, too! He was just like "well fine but the gods'll sort ye out if yer lyin'" and it's like what a pushover!

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

CJacobs posted:

edit: And the guy just accepted that for an answer, too! He was just like "well fine but the gods'll sort ye out if yer lyin'" and it's like what a pushover!

Are you going to argue with the mutant murderbeast that is the Butcher of Blaviken?

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Holy poo poo the Cabaret quest gets dark fast :stare:

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

OAquinas posted:

The Peter Griffin Armor is all about lighting things on fire all day every day, and I'm not ashamed to wear it :btroll:

I prefer the school of the cat turtleneck armor

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jun 11, 2015

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

sauer kraut posted:

The first thing Geralt says when seeing Dandelion in that story is "Dandelion!" and Dandelion responds with "Geralt, what a surprise! Is it really you?"

They knew each other before any short story IIRC.

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jun 11, 2015

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I like to pretend Dandelion is another law of surprise baby. Ciri's adopted brother.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

sauer kraut posted:

Pretty sure they were already friends before the books start. Geralt doesn't meet Yennefer or Triss for the first time in the books either, as I recall. They're pre-established relationships.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

Pretty sure they were already friends before the books start. Geralt doesn't meet Yennefer or Triss for the first time in the books either, as I recall. They're pre-established relationships.

That depends on what you mean by "in the books". The Last Wish certainly is the first time Geralt and Yen met.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Looking up music on youtube got me spoiled on a couple of fairly major plot points. Thanks for that, internet. :mad:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Another fun thing I took a screencap of and forgot about : I crafted the enhanced cat armor before I was the appropriate level for it because I forgot that was a thing after wearing the Griffin set for 10 billion years, so my Geralt got to run around like this:

For two whole levels, carrying around clothes that he couldn't put on because he just could not figure out how I guess. :v:

edit: Also just noticed I didn't have AA on in this shot, which is weird because I have it on now and can't remember ever switching it!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Coulda just put on another shirt

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

GrossMurpel posted:

That depends on what you mean by "in the books". The Last Wish certainly is the first time Geralt and Yen met.

However he's clearly known Dandelion for a while before any of the bard's appearances in that book. He's in two stories in that one, if I recall, right? The titular one with Yen, and one where he and Geralt are captured by a Scoia'tael elf dude?

Manatee Cannon posted:

Ugh, a doublet? :mad:

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Just got to Skellige & holy poo poo the writing for Geralt and Yens sarcastic adventures is great.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

However he's clearly known Dandelion for a while before any of the bard's appearances in that book. He's in two stories in that one, if I recall, right? The titular one with Yen, and one where he and Geralt are captured by a Scoia'tael elf dude?

Yeah, Last Wish and Edge of the World. He's also in Voice of Reason (framing story), if you consider that a short story.

quote:

Ugh, a doublet? :mad:

:allears:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Manatee Cannon posted:

I could have, yeah, but where's the fun in that! Making Geralt approach people not as Witcher, Killer of Demons but as Homeless Witcher, Unshaven Facial Hair of Demons was quite enjoyable.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Million Ghosts posted:

Holy poo poo the Cabaret quest gets dark fast :stare:

Having caught up on the thread, this is pretty great, as the same post happens like every 4th page.

Also, the expresions/body language in the game are great, I went back and did the (post-Kaer Morhen spoilers)visit to Emhyr with Ciri, and her face when her birth-dad offers her real dad money for bringing her 'home' is heartbreaking, followed by the super-:3: when Geralt turns it down, and the little squeeze of his hand.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
my favorite witcher work involves curses and the lifting of them

that is my specialty as a witcher

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

my favorite witcher work involves curses and the lifting of them

that is my specialty as a witcher

This is probably actually canon, considering all the curse-lifting Geralt winds up doing--both in the books and in the games.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Levantine posted:

Gwent outright sucks before you get some cards. The best way to do Gwent (kind of min-maxxy) is to travel to every town/city with a bar, buy cards and buff up your deck before you get started. Otherwise, you can rely on weather to beat monster decks but that's hit or miss too. Until you get spies/decoys, it's hard to win against anyone, let alone the big boys.

pumping up the nilfgard deck with those 10 damage archers helps too. claywitch and oreton i think?

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

CJacobs posted:

After saving Zoltan and Dandelion in Flotsam in Witcher 2, you get to talk to them a bit about what they've been up to. The ensuing conversation about Zoltan's failed betrothal and Dandelion double-agenting around instantly sold me on the characters. So much so that I ended up reloading a save there to show my wife how just some random bar conversation can bring so much flavor and show that these people really are friends with a history. So much better than some poo poo empty protagonist game where you make your own self-insert character.

(PS Zoltan is the best)

A side question about Witcher 2: I've been a bit torn about my decision to save Saskia instead of Triss due to the pogroms that get incited against the mages if you do so. Has anyone seen/compared the two outcomes? As far as I can tell we don't see hide nor hair of Saskia/Iorveth in 3 so far, but I wonder if I could prevent the pogrom if some more of your mage buddies might show up in 3 due to not being dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Kaedric posted:

A side question about Witcher 2: I've been a bit torn about my decision to save Saskia instead of Triss due to the pogroms that get incited against the mages if you do so. Has anyone seen/compared the two outcomes? As far as I can tell we don't see hide nor hair of Saskia/Iorveth in 3 so far, but I wonder if I could prevent the pogrom if some more of your mage buddies might show up in 3 due to not being dead.

there are none that i can tell, either way. which is probably wise honestly