Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
A guy on the Duke4 forums posted this screenshot of a mod he's working on called Blacklist TC, and despite the complete lack of any other details whatsoever I'm already on board.

This screenshot just feels so evocative of a certain era of FPSes to me... also retro FPS modding is very Doom-centric nowadays so it's nice to see Duke get a bit of repping. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Duke seems to be on an upswing right now among the modding community.

I also tried out the Chex plus Samsara and it was lovely. So that's what the Duke was doing in between Seigebreaker and the Game that broke Axmanic.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Johnny Law posted:

Also you can try other Quake engines than DarkPlaces; just dump them into the same Quake directory. QuakeSpasm is my go-to choice.

There's a metric ton of Quake info (and some Steam-Quake-specific stuff) at http://steamcommunity.com/id/jlaw/myworkshopfiles/?section=guides&appid=2310
Got Quakespasm set up now and I'm definitely gonna stick with it! I like how I can adjust the size of the HUD (and how it remains correctly-proportioned, unlike what I got in DarkPlaces). Got the soundtrack set up based on that link. Played with the console a bit and turned on the crosshair. 1920x1080 res, with Quakespasm's auto-adjusted FOV. Launching through Steam set up. I am ready for some Quakin' and I am excited. :black101: :getin:

Minidust fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jun 10, 2015

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

New world-record for single-segment NM Plutonia.

...which is apparently only a world record because apparently nobody's submitted one before

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

The Kins posted:

A guy on the Duke4 forums posted this screenshot of a mod he's working on called Blacklist TC, and despite the complete lack of any other details whatsoever I'm already on board.

This screenshot just feels so evocative of a certain era of FPSes to me... also retro FPS modding is very Doom-centric nowadays so it's nice to see Duke get a bit of repping. :)

Looks great. I have a thing for two specific FPS textures: the gray/brown one of the building in the corner of that screenshot, and the orange/brown/red mesa one from Half-Life. They get me every time.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Crossposting from the Steam thread, but the official website for the Shadow Warrior reboot got replaced with this image:

What could this possibly mean?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

That they're good at drawing the S and more different S, but forgot the consummate Vs.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

The Kins posted:

Crossposting from the Steam thread, but the official website for the Shadow Warrior reboot got replaced with this image:

It means that 80s cyberpunk is loving cool.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The Kins posted:

Diggin' that voxel car

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Shadow Hog posted:

...which is apparently only a world record because apparently nobody's submitted one before

Oh man, that rocket flub right near the start is something. I would have assumed that would scrub the run and force a restart, but apparently not! I guess someone trying to speedrun Nightmare is going to just shrug at things as minor as almost killing yourself.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Shadow Hog posted:

No one has submitted one before because they've been unable to actually finish the game in a reasonable timeframe, it's too hard.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

The Kins posted:

Maybe this time the guns won't be unusable garbage. :smith:

arcsig
May 29, 2015

Elliotw2 posted:

No one has submitted one before because they've been unable to actually finish the game in a reasonable timeframe, it's too hard.
It's less about the timeframe and more about the "single segment" part. Single segment in Doom speedrunning means it all needs to be recorded in one demo. Meaning no deaths, no saves. Plutonia NM single segment is... just insane.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Maybe this time the guns won't be unusable garbage. :smith:

The big secret to Shadow Warriors's guns: Upgrade and use the shield spell. You can still shoot while it's up, and it ends up far safer than using the sword. There were several enemy types that I didn't even try fighting in melee, just shield + shotgun.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Minidust posted:

Got Quakespasm set up now and I'm definitely gonna stick with it! I like how I can adjust the size of the HUD (and how it remains correctly-proportioned, unlike what I got in DarkPlaces). Got the soundtrack set up based on that link. Played with the console a bit and turned on the crosshair. 1920x1080 res, with Quakespasm's auto-adjusted FOV. Launching through Steam set up. I am ready for some Quakin' and I am excited. :black101: :getin:

Enjoy it man. Quake 1 loving rules.

Also, when you're done with the single player campaign, make sure to play both expansions, then go to Quaddicted and grab some 5-star custom maps and download either Frikbots or Frogbots to play Q1's kickass multiplayer.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

closeted republican posted:

Enjoy it man. Quake 1 loving rules.

Also, when you're done with the single player campaign, make sure to play both expansions, then go to Quaddicted and grab some 5-star custom maps and download either Frikbots or Frogbots to play Q1's kickass multiplayer.

I think I really need to do this.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Dominic White posted:

The big secret to Shadow Warriors's guns: Upgrade and use the shield spell. You can still shoot while it's up, and it ends up far safer than using the sword. There were several enemy types that I didn't even try fighting in melee, just shield + shotgun.

That won't change the fact that the guns all did pidly damage and had terrible gunfeel, though, even fully upgraded. I ended up using the sword for 90% of the game because the guns were so terrible.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Shadow Hog posted:

That they're good at drawing the S and more different S, but forgot the consummate Vs.

Strong Badow Warrior??

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

Strong Badow Warrior??

Trogdow Warrior

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Having now watched the NM Plutonia speedrun, I have two takeaways:
  • It boggles my mind how many of these maps in the later episodes I remember as clearly as I do. Like, my first completed playthrough of the WAD wasn't that long ago and all, but the maps stayed in my mind pretty clearly, even though somehow my mind disassociated them from Plutonia itself. Weird.
  • I really need to try Reelism with -fast.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Dominic White posted:

Sounds like Clive Barker's Undying except that the guns were actually pretty cool and the shield broke the game.

edit: shotguns with white phosphorous shells need to be in more games.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Lemon Curdistan posted:

That won't change the fact that the guns all did pidly damage and had terrible gunfeel, though, even fully upgraded. I ended up using the sword for 90% of the game because the guns were so terrible.

The shotgun and altfire on the bowgun straight-up gib most things. Rocket launcher is beefy. Akimbo SMGs chew through most smaller enemies quickly too. Flamethrower, pistol and single SMG are underwhelming though.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Dominic White posted:

The shotgun and altfire on the bowgun straight-up gib most things. Rocket launcher is beefy. Akimbo SMGs chew through most smaller enemies quickly too. Flamethrower, pistol and single SMG are underwhelming though.

A lot of it has to do with difficulty setting, too. And I don't mean in the "hurr I played it on the hardest difficulty git gud", but everything becomes waaaaay too bulletspongey on Insane, even Akimbo the SMGs are quite worthless there.

I wish more games had as much thought and balance put into their difficulty settings as Doom did.

Mushball
May 23, 2012
Another Shadow Warrior pro tip is to buy the crossbow's charge shot upgrade. It was sort of like a slower firing railgun from the original and it was my go to gun to kill monsters with along with the revolver for the kamikazi and flying monsters.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Shadow Hog posted:

Having now watched the NM Plutonia speedrun, I have two takeaways:
  • It boggles my mind how many of these maps in the later episodes I remember as clearly as I do. Like, my first completed playthrough of the WAD wasn't that long ago and all, but the maps stayed in my mind pretty clearly, even though somehow my mind disassociated them from Plutonia itself. Weird.
  • I really need to try Reelism with -fast.

I still mostly remember the Plutonia maps as Doom 2 maps, even though I've played through both recently.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I think I really need to do this.

You should. Quake 1 is awesome.

(I like Quake 1 more than Doom 1 and 2 >_>)

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
I can't get into Quake 1, because the environments are kind of samey... just a lot of brown really. The gameplay feels good but the environments drive me away :(

(Off-topic: hey arcsig, is there a puyo thread?)

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I dunno, there's certainly a drat lot of brown, but there's just enough of other colors that it still looks pretty vibrant at points.

I mean, it's a slightly muted vibrancy, but for as much of an oxymoron as that is, it clicks for me.

As for which is better, Quake and Doom scratch different itches for me. Doom gets to the action a bit quicker, but I typically find Quake's heavily-vertical level design more interesting.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Keiya posted:

I can't get into Quake 1, because the environments are kind of samey... just a lot of brown really. The gameplay feels good but the environments drive me away :(

I actually like Q1's environments. Turning up your gamma a bit helps bring out the colors and makes maps more distinguishable.

closeted republican fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jun 10, 2015

arcsig
May 29, 2015

Keiya posted:

Not that I'm aware of.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Commander Keenan posted:

Looks great. I have a thing for two specific FPS textures: the gray/brown one of the building in the corner of that screenshot, and the orange/brown/red mesa one from Half-Life. They get me every time.

Are you able to match specific sounds in mods to their origin game because you've played way too many freaking video games in your life. :suicide:

Klaus88 fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jun 11, 2015

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
let's be reasonable here if we wanna talk individual textures

THE KING OF TEXTURES

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
FIREBLU forever.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Shadow Hog posted:

I dunno, there's certainly a drat lot of brown, but there's just enough of other colors that it still looks pretty vibrant at points.

I mean, it's a slightly muted vibrancy, but for as much of an oxymoron as that is, it clicks for me.

As for which is better, Quake and Doom scratch different itches for me. Doom gets to the action a bit quicker, but I typically find Quake's heavily-vertical level design more interesting.

Quake 1's fully-3D environments really let Romero-style gameplay shine. Your character might look slower in Quake 1 at first glace, but with strafejumping and rocket jumping, you're far more mobile than in Doom.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

spongeh posted:

let's be reasonable here if we wanna talk individual textures

THE KING OF TEXTURES

Probably right, to be honest.

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

Alain Post posted:

FIREBLU forever.

Is that Mt. Erebus because jfc that's the ugliest level I think I've ever seen.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

closeted republican posted:

Shadow Over Innsmouth: Very, very good map made by the guy that made Village of Dread. ... I feel this map is a must-play for any Quake 1 gans today, despite it being made in the middle of 1997.

You have good opinions. That's a surprisingly engaging early map -- partly because of it's early-ness, there's certainly some adorably 1997-ish things about it, but also it's just good. If you (or anyone) wants to see a few more comments on it, func did a community playthru of it a while back: http://www.celephais.net/board/view_thread.php?id=61004

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Zlocista posted:

Is that Mt. Erebus because jfc that's the ugliest level I think I've ever seen.
Somehow, it manages to be even uglier than Mt. Erebus.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Johnny Law posted:

You have good opinions. That's a surprisingly engaging early map -- partly because of it's early-ness, there's certainly some adorably 1997-ish things about it, but also it's just good. If you (or anyone) wants to see a few more comments on it, func did a community playthru of it a while back: http://www.celephais.net/board/view_thread.php?id=61004

There's something about it that just clicks. It doesn't look all that hot and it's not really that hard, but the combat is very fun, it has a cool level style that helps overshadow the underdetailed parts of the map, and it has just the right about of items and powerups scattered throughout the map to make the map a blast to play.

I feel somewhat the same about Village of Dread, though that one's a bit rougher than Shadow is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.

uncleKitchener posted:

Sounds like Clive Barker's Undying except that the guns were actually pretty cool and the shield broke the game.

edit: shotguns with white phosphorous shells need to be in more games.

I really need to play more Undying but it just kills me how it has that awful wonky mouse movement. It's an incredible game otherwise, though.