Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

This is a good infographic. In the middle histogram you can clearly see what are known as the Three Pillars of Proper Exposure. The left pillar means you have chosen the correct aperture, the middle pillar is correct shutter speed, and the right pillar is the correct ISO. The rightmost histogram shows that the photographer used the correct aperture but that his shutter speed was too low (no middle pillar) and his ISO was too high (no right pillar). The leftmost histogram shows that the photographer forgot to put a lens on his cool Nikon and is getting hella dust on the sensor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

_51B1190 by David Franco, on Flickr

_51B1202 by David Franco, on Flickr

_51B1207 by David Franco, on Flickr

Edit: I'm browsing the forum on my phone and I noticed the bad cloning job I did on the right side. I didn't even notice it on my monitor because the brightness is turned way down to match my printer better. Do you guys turn brightness up and down during your retouching?

somnambulist fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jun 7, 2015

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

LargeHadron posted:

This is a good infographic. In the middle histogram you can clearly see what are known as the Three Pillars of Proper Exposure. The left pillar means you have chosen the correct aperture, the middle pillar is correct shutter speed, and the right pillar is the correct ISO. The rightmost histogram shows that the photographer used the correct aperture but that his shutter speed was too low (no middle pillar) and his ISO was too high (no right pillar). The leftmost histogram shows that the photographer forgot to put a lens on his cool Nikon and is getting hella dust on the sensor.

I love this forum sometimes.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

a histo of the histo of goatse, nice!

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
I took these photos while loving around with gels in my office. It was fun. It irks me that in the one of the guy, focus snapped to the wall behind him instead of him, despite all of my precautions. Ah well.

Untitled by Jason, on Flickr

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

That seems like a fun shoot. I don't notice the out of focus on the guy.

--

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

bobmarleysghost posted:

That seems like a fun shoot. I don't notice the out of focus on the guy.

--

I like it a lot but it seems sliiightly off-weight and it bugs me (is it supposed to?)

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

365 Nog Hogger posted:

I like it a lot but it seems sliiightly off-weight and it bugs me (is it supposed to?)

If you have to ask that, its usually unintentional

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

365 Nog Hogger posted:

I was playing around with it, that was cropped from a larger frame, but you're right, it works better a bit closer!
Editing it now.

bobmarleysghost fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jun 8, 2015

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

you are welcome

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Pukestain Pal posted:

you are welcome

Oh wow, this is great! Can you give me the tutorial on how you did it?

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Pukestain Pal posted:

you are welcome

What with this and all the histogram chat

Geektox posted:

Preemptively voting Cellphone or Portrait as the new defacto bad photo thread

We're well on our way.

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
threw every piece into a fire.
Fun Shoe
I haven't really done anything portrait wise outside of dramatic wrestling things so I had a bit of a test shoot the other day, obviously got a lot to learn but would love some pointers!

Beauty Portrait Test by bang3rachi, on Flickr

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Olivia by David Franco, on Flickr

Andrew by David Franco, on Flickr

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

somnambulist posted:

I dig the posing, how comfortable they seem to be, and your light and background in general. That said, the side lighting is throwing some shadows and catch lights at times in the eyes that end up making them look cross-eyed or like they have strabismus.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Ah yeah, I mostly see it in the third image.

I have a gridded softbox to the right of him and an octobox to the left of him, I may have to use the gridded softbox as just a hairlight and use octo as main with a white piece of foam or something as fill so the catch lights dont get wonky.

edit: Actually, wouldn't the foam board act as a catch light as well? ._. I just confused myself.

somnambulist fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jun 9, 2015

Tsimp
Mar 16, 2012
Went to the park yesterday and took some photos while there. Still working on framing subjects.

FINAL--7 by Tyler Simpson

The Dreamer by Tyler Simpson

FINAL--5 by Tyler Simpson

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Tsimp posted:

Went to the park yesterday and took some photos while there. Still working on framing subjects.

The Dreamer by Tyler Simpson

:psyduck:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

:420::420::420: THE DREAMER :420::420::420:

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
light on her face in the first looks wonky

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Thoogsby posted:

light on her face in the first looks wonky

Looks like a golden reflector underneath. People lit from underneath look odd, and the gold reflector is that weird warmth.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
EDIT: Holy poo poo, wrong thread.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Engrossed by alkanphel, on Flickr

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
EDIT: On second thought I'm not completely happy with the editing on this one.
EDIT 2: Back up.

Kelsey by Glenn Nielson, on Flickr

iSheep fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jun 11, 2015

widunder
May 2, 2002
My portraits will never feature an unobscured face

Tsimp
Mar 16, 2012

dakana posted:

Looks like a golden reflector underneath. People lit from underneath look odd, and the gold reflector is that weird warmth.

It is. I was trying to see if I could replicate the look of a campfires light. I think it works well enough that I may use it in the future.
I was also trying to achieve a film like camp photo look on the first and last.

and yes, for the psyduck pose I just googled, "Popular Female Portrait Poses", and chose the first one that came up. I blame heat exhaustion. (for the title as well.)

Tsimp fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jun 11, 2015

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

this is how I feel about this thread lately.

Untitled by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

Untitled by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

vxsarin fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jun 12, 2015

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
This dude lives in my neighborhood. He's a mixed media sculptor that has been living with ALS for almost 20 years. I was just over there to help with his website so I didn't bring any lighting gear but I had to take his photo. His house is like a gallery and it's filled with rad as gently caress stuff made out of found objects. The wifi was poo poo so I took his photos home to work on the website. I think I'm gonna see if he will sit for some 8x10 shots this weekend.

DSCF2238
by Jimbo, on Flickr

8th-snype fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jun 12, 2015

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Bang3r posted:

I haven't really done anything portrait wise outside of dramatic wrestling things so I had a bit of a test shoot the other day, obviously got a lot to learn but would love some pointers!

Beauty Portrait Test by bang3rachi, on Flickr

I really like this light. Is there much post work done on here?

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Tsimp posted:

FINAL--7 by Tyler Simpson

The model's chin here looks like it lacks depth in contrast to her neck... is this due to lighting or posing?>

Tsimp
Mar 16, 2012

Thoren posted:

The model's chin here looks like it lacks depth in contrast to her neck... is this due to lighting or posing?>

Posing I think, she was a lot shorter than I am. Thank you for pointing it out, it makes me realize I need to be more aware of those things while framing and posing. I appreciate the feedback!

8th-snype posted:

This dude lives in my neighborhood. He's a mixed media sculptor that has been living with ALS for almost 20 years. I was just over there to help with his website so I didn't bring any lighting gear but I had to take his photo. His house is like a gallery and it's filled with rad as gently caress stuff made out of found objects. The wifi was poo poo so I took his photos home to work on the website. I think I'm gonna see if he will sit for some 8x10 shots this weekend.

This looks like a really interesting concept, it would make some great environmental portraits. Once you're finished, you should definitely post them here if you are able.

Tsimp fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 13, 2015

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Brett
by Steve V, on Flickr

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Love the colors in this. Has like a 70s-80s magazine feel to it.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Love the colors, but I would prefer her shadow have been lit out, and her skin is a bit shiny/magenta.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Mariah
by Steve V, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Oh yeah.